PDA

View Full Version : "Tough Guise"

D-Money
11-15-2009, 09:36 AM
an extremely interesting video about the downside of the facade of masculinity.

it's geared toward high school and college aged men, but i think it reaches further than that= to anyone who wears the cloak of masculinity and all of us who live with those who do- which means all of us ... interesting stuff.

i'll just leave this here ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9632437500432634#

BullDog
11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Thank you for posting this. I plan to watch the video later when I have time. I see queer communities often reveling in masculinity and thinking we can bond over masculinity without a lot of examination or discussion about it is or where it comes from, and it makes me very uneasy.

I see lots of people wanting to be acknowledged as male or masculine but not really show much self reflection or take on the responsibilities or consequences of what that means in our culture at large or in queer communities or butch femme communities specifically. There's a lot of posturing, but how much substance? None of us are immune from the cultures we come from.

I am butch, I am masculine and do enjoy being masculine- but the "tough guise"- it needs to be examined.

Thanks again D-Money.

D-Money
11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
awesome, Bulldog!! i hope folks are able to find the time to watch this ... there's a lot of great stuff in this video. it's important!!

(good to see you again, Bulldog!)

Gryph
11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I won't be able to watch it all, as I have to go to work, but what I've seen so far...Powerful!

Toughy
11-18-2009, 02:03 PM
damn...........I'm sending the link to my nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews........and a whole bunch of other folks

the 'average American in the Heartland' really really needs to see this.......

comments to come after I digest..........

PapaC
11-18-2009, 02:34 PM
No kidding. I'm listening to this right now, and I think I'm in love with this man who made this film.

D-Money
11-18-2009, 02:44 PM
i'm so glad some folks are viewing this and appreciating it! and passing it on! :D

Mister Bent
11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say that I plan on taking the time to sit still long enough to watch this weekend.

This video has inspired some important conversation, and I hope that we can continue it here, with open minds and respect.

Toughy, looking forward to reading your impressions.

D-Money
11-23-2009, 09:09 AM
yay!! did you, Bent?

Toughy
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
My thoughts are about misogyny and the way almost all cultures for the last 2000 years place far more value on masculine/male/man. This devaluing of feminine/female/woman has lead us to this video that drives home the idea that women are vessels for the next generation of men. And you can objectify and beat us and do what ever you want because we are not as good as men........we are 'other' and 'less than'.

This focus on a false definition of what it means to be masculine or male or man has created such violence and objectification against women and against men.

This has become so institutionalized that some folks find a headless torso wiggling around to be funny. Some folks don't even get how that kind of thing sets the stage for more violence and more objectification and makes it difficult to raise boys and men differently.

And then there is advertising.........how products are marketed and the difference in the way products are marketed depending on the target audience.

Girls and women are becoming more violent in this culture.....and not just in the US. That is happening because violence has become the norm and girls think it's ok to be violent. And I'm not just talking about physical abuse kind of violence. Violence does not have to be physical.

That's some of what is running around in my head. I need to go back and watch the video again.

D-Money
11-27-2009, 01:43 PM
This focus on a false definition of what it means to be masculine or male or man ...

i wouldn't call it "false" ... it exists and is accepted- by men and women alike.

i also wouldn't say that it is fair or healthy- especially for men.

it is real and it is what it is ... and can be changed. it must be changed.

we can't begin to change a thing until we understand it, where it came from and why it's still "working".

as far as women have come in the last 40 years, men need to come that far as well.

upholding the facade of traditional masculinity is making men- and all others who strive to meet this strange ideal- live shorter, less fulfilling lives.

Bad_boi
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
To me a real man/butch/masculine carbon based lifeform, is tough. But there are many ways of being tough that have little to do with violence or anger. Tough can be physical, or mental. Tough can be standing up for what you beleve in. Tough can be giving your friend your coat because she is cold and you are tough enough to tolerate the cold till you get inside.

But that is merely one thing that makes someone a real man. I think another attribute is to be the guy who stands behind those hy loves. Hy is a good significant other, a good friend that helps you and understands you if hy is a dad hy loves and supports hys kids. Hy is the kind of person who you can call at midnight for someone to talk to. Hy is the nice guy who does not mind fixing something of helping move something.

Just because your masculine does not mean you have the feelings of a pet rock!

chai~
02-26-2012, 10:36 PM
~saving for later~