PDA

View Full Version : Social anxiety disorder.

LediskoLove99
04-26-2011, 06:39 PM
I have horrible social anxiety disorder, which is definitely fun to deal with.

So usually when I join a forum my first thought is "Really? You can barely hold a conversation with most family members without wanting to cry, how do you expect to communicate with people you don't even know?"

But lately I've been trying to kind of force myself to throw myself out there, this is my small step. So why not join a social anxiety forum? Been there, done that. I found it hurt more than it helped.

So here I am, just trying to give myself a little nudge in the right direction, hopefully with people I can relate to a little more. And hopefully in the end I won't make an ass out of myself or not bother posting out of fear.

Because honestly, when you're stuck in your house most of the time because you can't leave without wanting to run back in and hide, when you can't go to a grocery store without almost having a breakdown in the middle of everything, when you lose most of your friends because you don't want to do the same things they do because you're terrified of how many new people will be there or you're just not fun anymore, when you're way too fucking timid to even disagree with someone even on the important issues, you know you have a big problem and you need to take a step back and really try to do something about it. So here is my first little step. And it's scary as hell.

I'm not one to constantly bitch, and I definitely try not to sit here and feel sorry for myself. But sometimes you just feel the need to let it all out, even if it's to a bunch of people you have never met, ironic.
There was no point to this really, just kind of felt like sharing. And hoping maybe there's one or two of you out there who know how it feels.

violaine
04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
i get you. :rrose:

belle

The_Lady_Snow
04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I hope being here helps and you make great connections!!!

Queerasfck
04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I have it but am able to deal with most of it, most of the time.

wolfbittenpoet
04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
We are only mildly scary here. We try to be understanding though. Personally it takes me over an hour at a mall to manage to get up the nerve to buy something that I really want. An hour is on a good day. Sometimes I just have to walk out and not whimper.

girl_dee
04-26-2011, 08:09 PM

There was no point to this really, just kind of felt like sharing. And hoping maybe there's one or two of you out there who know how it feels.

I KNOW!!!!

Been fighting this for a while now, but I am MUCH better! I don't run out the store or mall feeling like I can't breathe anymore.

Have faith and welcome to the site.

dee

Galahad
04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Me too. I have taken up talking to myself, it distracts me while I'm out and about. I really don't care how crazy people think I am, if I get to enjoy my life somewhat. Little steps will get you there, keep going.

bigbutchmistie
04-26-2011, 09:38 PM

So usually when I join a forum my first thought is "Really? You can barely hold a conversation with most family members without wanting to cry, how do you expect to communicate with people you don't even know?"

But lately I've been trying to kind of force myself to throw myself out there, this is my small step. So why not join a social anxiety forum? Been there, done that. I found it hurt more than it helped.

So here I am, just trying to give myself a little nudge in the right direction, hopefully with people I can relate to a little more. And hopefully in the end I won't make an ass out of myself or not bother posting out of fear.

Because honestly, when you're stuck in your house most of the time because you can't leave without wanting to run back in and hide, when you can't go to a grocery store without almost having a breakdown in the middle of everything, when you lose most of your friends because you don't want to do the same things they do because you're terrified of how many new people will be there or you're just not fun anymore, when you're way too fucking timid to even disagree with someone even on the important issues, you know you have a big problem and you need to take a step back and really try to do something about it. So here is my first little step. And it's scary as hell.

I'm not one to constantly bitch, and I definitely try not to sit here and feel sorry for myself. But sometimes you just feel the need to let it all out, even if it's to a bunch of people you have never met, ironic.

I know how you feel. First of all welcome. And my friends always call me anti social. I rarely hang out with them. When I'm not working I can't wait for.the safety of my home. I eat oh all the time. Size grocery stores give me anxiety bad.

My ex has accused me of being a hermit who needs psychological help. Because I of how it petrifies me to be in a social setting. I work on it but still its hard. Don't ever apologize for being you. :) Good Luck

LediskoLove99
04-26-2011, 09:43 PM
I know how you feel. First of all welcome. And my friends always call me anti social. I rarely hang out with them. When I'm not working I can't wait for.the safety of my home. I eat oh all the time. Size grocery stores give me anxiety bad.

My ex has accused me of being a hermit who needs psychological help. Because I of how it petrifies me to be in a social setting. I work on it but still its hard. Don't ever apologize for being you. :) Good Luck

I know what you mean. Apparently it brings people down when they're having a good time socializing and I'm siting in the corner having a panic attack. My home has been my haven, but it's also been a kind of hell for me too. Oh what to do when you want socialization but are too scared of it.

And screw grocery stores, I think they made those places so they can be amused by how people like us react.

But hey, it's a part of who I am and that's, that.

Thank you for welcoming me and for your well wishes. Good luck to you too.

Rockinonahigh
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Hello and wellcome to the planet,U will find all kinds of prople to be hear as u take the steps u need to take,we have agreat bunch of folks who are very diversed.
Some years ago I was injured in an accident wich left me pretty much home bound,I had had injuries before that I got over and went on my merry way.Not so this one,over the months of getting well I made my home and yard all I needed to have,at first it was for conveneance but gradualy I just didnt go anywhere I didnt have to go.Most people in my life just faded away so socialy I was in limbo.When I was ready to go back to work the idea of leaveing my house sent me into a tailspin..it was then I realised how home bound I had become and it wasnt cause of my injury anymore.Me the over achiver who has never been afraid of nothing couldnt get out the frount door without a panic attack..I could not beleave it.I made myself take one step at the time and over the time I did go back to work,have a social life and make plands for the future.Just take those baby steps right along with a deep breath and u will make it..oh and ist ok to sometimes take a back step just to check out where you have been...just keep takeing forward steps.

Goo
04-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Welcome and I completely understand where you're coming from...I have S.A.D as well...Walmart and big chain stores are a panic attack waiting to happen.

Usually, when I do have to go to those kinds of stores, I have a bottle of Ativan in my pocket, so that way it nips it in the butt when it does happen.

Medusa
04-29-2011, 06:47 AM
He Ledisko!

I think it's a healthy and wise move to do some interacting on a social forum such as this. While it can help insulate you from the real world if you choose an internet forum over live interactions, I think it can also help you find your voice, maybe give a little nudge into the "this isnt so scary"
direction.

I applaud you!!

Andrew, Jr.
04-29-2011, 06:52 AM
I get you, Ledisko, I have that disorder too. It is tough.

Namaste,
Andrew

EnderD_503
04-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Welcome, and I kind of get where you're coming from. I don't feel it on the internet or large, noisey public places. As long as there's a commotion I'm good, it's more a fear of having "all eyes" on me in a quiet environment. It's mostly at people's houses or places where I can't leave without detection or potential embarrassment should I feel anxious or sick or something. I get a lot of sharp stomach pains/nausea accompanying the shortness of breath because of it, which sucks.

julieisafemme
04-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi ledisko. I also have SAD but have improved greatly in the last 5 years with cognitive behavioral therapy and meds. I still get very shy around people I do not know. I hate parties with a passion. It comes and goes.

Welcome here to the Planet. I love interacting here and learning from people!

Nat
04-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Welcome :) I hope you enjoy your time here. It seems to me that anxiety is like a slip-knot. Not sure if that makes sense, but it seems to me like this cycle of making my world smaller to alleviate my anxiety, which works - but where the price is that my world gets smaller. It just seems like the anxiety tightens when I try to appease it. I used to be a social person, but I dread social interaction more and more. When I go to the grocery store or the gym or the laundry, I often find myself sitting outside in my van for a long time before I go inside. Sometimes I just go back home. I don't know when it happened - in fits and starts I guess over the last few years. Depression used to be my main schtick, but now anxiety has become at least as big an issue in my own life. I post here, I read here, but I don't interact so much anymore. I am about to spend about 24 hours with friends and going to a large event, and I don't feel up to it. Thankfully I have benzos which I will be taking. I try not to take them too often for fear they will stop working or that I will become addicted. But to endure being around both friends and strangers, I will be making use of them.

bigbutchmistie
04-30-2011, 05:50 PM
I struggle a lot. I love my job and feel fine in that environment. However I won't go somewhere alone like a restaurant a movie etc makes me panic a lot. When I go to.the club I'm a people watcher. I'm not a dancer and tend to just watch people. For me to approach a femme well that's only happened a few times in my life.

I am extremely shy in person with new people I tend to meet people from online. It makes it easier. This is a daily battle

Turtle
04-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Welcome aboard. Just keep breathing and putting one foot in front of the other, so to speak. Having other folks around who understand and emersing one's self in that which heals (different for everybody)...and sometimes some medication - it all helps.

pull up a cup of tea and enjoy

:tea:

chefhottie25
04-30-2011, 06:50 PM
i am sorry that you are struggling with this. i haven't been diagnosed with it but i do experience a lot of anxiety in most social situations. i suffer from schizophrenia and anxiety is one of the symptoms. i am not prescribed any medication for my anxiety...but i did buy a supplement today that is supposed to help with it. it is called L-Theanine. i will report back if it i find it helpful.

Galahad
05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Little tricks of distraction, reading and posting on this site and a few others have really helped me. It's still hard to interact online, but it has made a huge difference in my life. I can do what I need to do, work, school and volunteering, running errands, etc. with much less anxiety. There are so many good people here and reading bfp folk's stories and their interactions has made real life meetings less intimidating. Every step forward is a triumph and something to celebrate. I have a goal to work towards too. I try to focus on that when I'm really stressed.

LediskoLove99
05-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I struggle a lot. I love my job and feel fine in that environment. However I won't go somewhere alone like a restaurant a movie etc makes me panic a lot. When I go to.the club I'm a people watcher. I'm not a dancer and tend to just watch people. For me to approach a femme well that's only happened a few times in my life.

I am extremely shy in person with new people I tend to meet people from online. It makes it easier. This is a daily battle

I definitely know how you feel. I people watch all the time, sometimes I feel a bit lonely watching while everyone gets to have fun and I'm stuck there trying to avoid a meltdown.

And as far as approaching people, with me, forget it. I could never come up with the courage to approach a woman. It would end badly.

I completely understand, and I definitely hope things improve for you. Although it's not that easy, I know.

Andrew, Jr.
05-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I enjoy people watching. Always have. I also have a tendency to walk off (some call it wondering).