PDA

View Full Version : How did the people in Texas fare?

Quintease
05-23-2011, 05:33 AM
A test to see how the people of Texas will react to a gay family (this made me cry in a good way) Zhl9MLno424

princessbelle
05-23-2011, 06:57 AM
A test to see how the people of Texas will react to a gay family (this made me cry in a good way) Zhl9MLno424

Wow. What a great video to wake up to and drink coffee. Tears in my java. But, like you, in a good way.

I wouldn't put state against state exactly. People are either good, evil or indifferent and it depends on how *we* feel on a specific day as well. Some days i would fight a lion for anyone's rights. Other days i am maybe not so comfortable in my space to stand up for anyone's rights about anything. I see the glass as half full and know things are headed in the right direction. Years ago, these types of clips would never have even been thought about. Climbing hills is important.

That little guy that wrote that note? He gets a hug from me as well. He may not feel it...but i do.

Lovely post. Lovely thread. Thanks.

Melissa
05-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Wow. What a great video to wake up to and drink coffee. Tears in my java. But, like you, in a good way.

I wouldn't put state against state exactly. People are either good, evil or indifferent and it depends on how *we* feel on a specific day as well. Some days i would fight a lion for anyone's rights. Other days i am maybe not so comfortable in my space to stand up for anyone's rights about anything. I see the glass as half full and know things are headed in the right direction. Years ago, these types of clips would never have even been thought about. Climbing hills is important.

That little guy that wrote that note? He gets a hug from me as well. He may not feel it...but i do.

Lovely post. Lovely thread. Thanks.

Wow, what a great video. I've found Texans to be friendly, approachable, open, and outspoken. So those results on that show don't surprise me that much. I really like the people in South Texas and I love living here despite Perry as Governor. I did NOT know that Texas can refuse service to gay people. I lived in Nebraska and that state can deny housing to anyone they perceive as gay. Its not about having a law that says housing or service can be denied. Its that there are no laws saying housing or service cannot be denied, at least in Nebraska. Texas does not deny gay couples from being foster parents or adopting, by the way. In fact, when me and Rufus looked into it a few years ago the people we met with were incredibly nice, open, and welcoming.

Melissa

Gemme
05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
I wasn't sure what to expect from the title of the thread, but I'm glad I popped in. That was a lovely video and just the right kind of way to start the day.

Camo Eagle
05-23-2011, 11:06 PM
LOL I popped in bc I thought it was checking on the disaster status of members.

What a nice surprise. I hadnt seen the show or the video.
Im really not too surprised either. A a Republican Southern (The Double Whammy) state we do have some jacked up laws/lack of laws on the books. Its a known fact that our Politicians more often than not have heads in ass syndrome. Then they top it off with a dose of "good ole boy" crap.

But for the most part, the "people" of Tx may surprise you.
And just FYI, this last maj election the Rep & Dems were very close. The divide did close a big gap.

I work in a lil hick town, and am learning that you really cant judge a hick/redneck (their words) that easily anymore. As I progress in my transition, Ive had more support from the ones I was stressing about. The people I thought would be ok, have turned out to be the biggest jackasses.
Support has been about equal between Reps & Dems. Its also important to note that most of our anti LGBTQ laws never get up for a "by the people" vote. They get drafted by the lawmakers, passed in the houses, then signed by the Gov. Here we call it the "Lil Fiefdom". LOL

Diva
05-23-2011, 11:34 PM
While we may have a few backasswards folks in the public eye (**COUGH**Perry**COUGH**Bush**COUGH**Kay Bailey Hutchinson**COUGH**), there are many fair and reasonable~minded folk here.

I had seen this video before and it is a beautiful thing.

Passionaria
05-24-2011, 12:04 AM
This video was really touching, thanks for sharing it :) Coming from the "liberal Bay Area" and moving to Texas, I was not sure how I would feel, or if I would fit in here. I have to admit, that the more I get to know Texans, the more I like them. People laugh when I tell them that many of my "liberal friends" in Cali are afraid of Texas, I can't tell you how many of my friends thought I was crazy, girlz lost her mind. Biases run in all directions, and are usually based on the same thing..... being misinformed.

My sweetie is a Texan, and I have to say after meeting hys family, that I can't remember a time when people have made me feel more welcomed, and embraced, protected even. It's such a good feeling. Southern hospitality rocks, and I'm loving being in Texas!!!! :vigil:

AtLast
05-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Seems to me that there are many way wonderful people in Texas.

durrrrrrrr
05-24-2011, 05:40 PM
I seen this the other night. I really enjoyed watching it and I told my girlfriend about it. I saved it on my DVR so she could watch it when she gets here.

It doesn't surprise me at all about the Texas folks. Since I have moved here, I have ran across some awesome people. But, just like anywhere else, I have also ran across some rude people.

When i was watching this on t.v., it made me very proud to live in the great state of Texas!

I will say the Austin group welcomed me from day one and I always enjoy the get togethers. Even though some of them cheat at Wii frisbee golf. lol.