PDA

View Full Version : Facebook to end Nov. 5?

Reader
08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
The hacker group Anonymous says they will take down Facebook on Nov. 5, 2011. Would this be a bad thing? A good thing? Are these guys just a bunch of crazies? Any thoughts on these new "hack"-tivists? Since I don't use Facebook, I am not sure what to think, should they pull it off.

Attention citizens of the world,

We wish to get your attention, hoping you heed the warnings as follows:
Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause and kill facebook for the sake of your own privacy.

Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world. Some of these so-called whitehat infosec firms are working for authoritarian governments, such as those of Egypt and Syria.

Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your "privacy" settings, and deleting your account is impossible, even if you "delete" your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more "private" is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family. http://www.physorg.com/news170614271.htmlhttp://itgrunts.com/2010/10/07/facebook-steals-numbers-and-data-from-your-iph....

You cannot hide from the reality in which you, the people of the internet, live in. Facebook is the opposite of the Antisec cause. You are not safe from them nor from any government. One day you will look back on this and realise what we have done here is right, you will thank the rulers of the internet, we are not harming you but saving you.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-facebook-2011-8#ixzz1V8KUwwgn

http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-facebook-2011-8

Medusa
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I have no reason to believe it won't happen.

The "Anonymous" group has been able to dismantle many sites, no matter the level of security so I do believe they have the people power to do exactly as they say they will do.

Facebook has done a lot of dirty deeds but I think they are on par with what most purveyors of private data do nowawdays. I don't know if "Anonymous" has set their mark on any large credit card companies or companies that specialize in high-tech/high-security data marketing but I know my company would be firmly at risk when/if that were to happen.

Linus
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Eh... life will go on. It'd be no different if the net was down for a day. We might actually go outside. When the East Coast of Canada and US had that last big summer blackout, an amazing thing happened (at least in Toronto and Ottawa from what I know): people had mini-block parties and got to know their neighbours beside themselves.

Anonymous is merely highlighting the issue of privacy and the lack of it as well as the commercialization of the internet (everything must have ads it seems).

dark_crystal
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
if they take Twitter i will hunt them down!
if they take Facebook it will quite simplify a few awkward situtions for me

they can have it

Apocalipstic
08-15-2011, 03:37 PM
The lack of privacy is indeed an issue!

This is really embarrasing, but I would be sad if I could not play with my farms ever again.

morningstar55
08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
im trying to post this story in the note area of FB .. but its not letting me paste it in there.

*Anya*
08-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Honestly, I may be in the minority but it would not bother me. I rarely get on.

Abigail Crabby
08-15-2011, 05:26 PM
eh would I miss Facebook?

Yeah prolly so cuz I do like to go there and catch up with my friends.

but email still works if FB dies.

I will miss my Farmville, but as of late I've been rather bored with that as well and have gone back to picking up books.

With me every addiction has to run it course lol and my last one was Farmville.

princessbelle
08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I do get on facebook some. But, it's really just confusing to me. I don't know who can see what and when. Mine is apparently off sync as well and my"like" buttons are always covering someone's picture.

Anyway, I've not heard about this till now. I was just thinking maybe it's like one of those false "end of time" things. All hype.

Either way, won't bother me much i suppose.

But for the sake of the people that use it a lot....i hope it doesn't happen. :candle:

Sassy
08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Love it. All hail the downfall of the FB-empire... #killfacebook. LOL

:vigil::vigil::vigil::vigil::vigil::vigil::vigil:

Guy
08-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Kill it!!!!!!!!!!

Leigh
08-15-2011, 11:19 PM
I'll be among the very few who will be extremely upset if Facebook goes down ........... what about Farmville? Farm Town? :(

Sassy
08-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Well.... Zynga could try giving us an exclusive website just for farm-a-holics :)

But I suppose it's more likely someone will have to come up with a 12 step program. *laughs*

(I say that jokingly. I play occasionally. And my honey is a complete Farm-a-holic. She would totally pout if she couldn't play her games.)

-S

The_Lady_Snow
08-16-2011, 03:28 PM
I would miss my Mafia Family.

Jessica
08-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I have to admit I will probably have withdrawals if It does happen. I check my Facebook a couple times an hour. I will be lost! How will I survive without being able to check everyone's status's??? Haha j/k I am pretty sure I will survive.... Maybe

foxyshaman
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I would miss it for the networking and workshop hunting. I like to know who is teaching what. As well as to get the message out there as to what I am teaching. But heck I got full classes before FB and I am sure it will not impact me otherwise.

I don't play games so that would not bother me.

I guess I am in the "meh" category.

Derail: Linus I have family in Toronto and when the blackout occured they were involved in block parties. They had to do something with the food melting in their freezers. What I thought was funny were the amount of comments regarding the stars!! However, my cousin did not like walking up 19 floors to get home.

dreadgeek
08-16-2011, 04:55 PM
It'll be an interesting hack if they pull it off. Although, I don't know that they will be able to now because FB now has a bit under 90 days to pull in every white-hat hacker they can pay (and FB has seriously deep pockets so they can pay a lot) to check every possible hole. If FB goes down, given that they *know* they are going to be subject to a massive hacking attempt, then they deserve to go down. If the burglar tells you they're going to break into your house no a given day and you don't take the time to secure your home, then you kind of had it coming. Same principle applies here.

Cheers
Aj

Starbuck
08-16-2011, 08:31 PM
The only thing I do on FB is play Family Feud and 1 vs 100. Beyond that I like to read what my friends are doing and keep in touch with them, I like to check in if I'm at church or other cool places...it's pretty much a nightly routine. No..I'm..not..addicted.

I do know someone, on the other hand, who will have a massive coronary event as he will usually play something like 7 or more games at a time, flipping back and forth between screens. He stays up late playing those stupid games. I know he will be very upset if FB is messed with if his precious games are taken away. LOL.

Novelafemme
08-16-2011, 09:08 PM
honestly, i would love it if ALL electronic communication went kerplunk for a week or so. imagine if all we had left was snail mail and land-line telephones. HEAVEN!! i used to love facebook because it was the only way my bio-family communicated with each other. then i realized just how sad that realization was. :(

Diva
08-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I like FB because my friends are there....but also, my Art is there ~ DivaLicious Art ~ so it keeps my "fans" informed of my updates/progress.

Is it perfect? Um. What IS? But in light of the fact that 20 years ago, we had nothing LIKE it, I'm willing to admit that I'd miss it!

Reader
08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Why did Facebook crush myspace? Is Facebook that much better?

atomiczombie
08-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I am really isolated from community where I live. Facebook is one way I can stay in touch with people when the phone doesn't always work. I have 2 close friends who just don't like talking on the phone. I was keeping tabs on my kid until she kicked me off her FB last week. But yeah, I would miss it. I wish they wouldn't sell personal info but what can you do? Just be careful what you post about yourself. Good thing I am out and don't give a fuck what people think of me.

Logicaly
08-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Knowing what I know about this group, and some other stuff and who they are involved with, etc. Facebook will most likely be down for a day or two if they follow through, and I am sure they will because they have yet to not follow through.

Will they destroy the data? Probably not. Every good company, or just company in general of their size has a data backup that is not accessible via the internet but stored in a secure location. So after a brief service interrupt Facebook will be back up.

As for the group themselves, who are they to decide what is and is not okay? Sure, they are clearly intelligent in a certain aspect with what they have the ability to do, its just a shame that it is wasted intelligence. I'm not impressed with their destructive behavior, hurting innocent people by leaking private information, etc.

They go on and on about how Facebook has all this information about us. Your right, Facebook does, and we chose to put it there. Nobody forced us to put that information on that website, we chose to do it. I am a firm believer of if you don't want someone knowing about it, you probably shouldn't put it on the internet.

Even Anon will eventually die out. Notice how LuLzSec has decided to step out of the scene, Anon will eventually as well.

Daktari
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-operation-facebook-2011-8

Curiouser and curiouser. I can't wait to see what happens.