PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS IN BOSTON...

Scorp
08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Holy shit we just had an earthquake!! All of us at work thought we were falling off our chairs and the lights shaking and shit. Strange for up here!!!

My vertigo is still off....WTF???????????????????!!

Gentle Tiger
08-23-2011, 12:06 PM
NO WAY! I grew up in Boston. That was never heard of. Hope everyone is ok.

Scorp
08-23-2011, 12:07 PM
A magnitude 5.8 earthquake hit the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, and was felt as far north as Boston, according to the US Geological Survey.

To read more, visit http://www.boston.com

Ebon
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Apparently people felt it in quite a few places along the east coast. Washington D.C, PA and parts of NY as well.

Scorp
08-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, that sort of thing is never heard of here. A lot of us still feel dizzy...You think you're losing your mind. Very strange feeling...I can't even explain it.

PinkieLee
08-23-2011, 12:12 PM
OMG... that is some crazy stuff!!! I'm glad that y'all are ok!

theoddz
08-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Hang in there, Beantown and the rest of the upper East Coast!!!!! :|

~Theo~ :bouquet:

Greyson
08-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Wow! Glad to read you are okay. My one visit to Boston, I loved it. I think there was also an earthqake in Colorado today. About a 5 point something. Looks like California is no longer the earthquake capital here in the states.

Gráinne
08-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Geologist here :)

Earthquakes on the east coast are uncommon, as there is no plate boundary nearby. However, there have been some real doozies-the 1886 Charleston, S.C. earthquake killed hundreds and was felt all the way to Boston.

I think the coast from Washington south has a hurricane to worry about later in the week :(.

Gaige
08-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm just outside Baltimore, about 40 minutes from DC. It woke me up. We have had small earthquakes before but nothing like this. The whole house was shaking. I jumped out of bed and went straight for my dresser to keep my cologne bottles from falling to the floor. A lot of neighbors went outside and no one had a cell phone connection. Even the home phone was down. Very strange feeling. I've never before experienced anything like that in my life.

dixie
08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
They are saying on local news (here in western NC) that it was felt as far as Atlanta. I was napping, so have no idea. I read about the one in Colorado too. Yikes.

Tommi
08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Here's the map (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/280_40.php)

click on the box to check CO or VA (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/)

MsTinkerbelly
08-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that sort of thing is never heard of here. A lot of us still feel dizzy...You think you're losing your mind. Very strange feeling...I can't even explain it.

I live in CA...I know EXACTLY how you are feeling!

Take care of you...you might be wobbly for a bit. (f)

Inked_Trinity
08-23-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm in Leesburg, VA right now at work. About and hour and a half from the center of the quake. It shook all my framed maps off the walls. No other damage here. All the cell phones are down right now.

tapu
08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Didn't feel it in Maine. I'm less than 2 hours from Boston.

I was in Santa Cruz for the SF earthquake and San Diego for the LA one. I'd be happy not to go through that again. Too scary!

Scorp
08-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi Tinks....

YES, very dizzy and I now have a headache...This sucks...Strange feeling...Some of my co-workers are still feeling it too..

All is ok for now,hopefully nothing else happens...

And thanks everyone for your concern!! :)

Take care of you...you might be wobbly for a bit. (f)

princessbelle
08-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Lighting candles for our wonderful "Eastern people today"....from hurricanes to earthquakes....

Peace, safety and positive thoughts and energy being sent.

Thank you for checking in when you can. We are so worried about you.

Please take care of yourselves!!!!!!

http://dl8.glitter-graphics.net/pub/1017/1017588rzolrv0qug.gif (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

Heart
08-23-2011, 12:58 PM
We evacuated my small office building in Brooklyn NY!

At first I thought I was having an anxiety attack or a stroke or something. Then my heart started pounding out of my chest as I heard other people yelling and my thoughts went to some kind of bomb or attack.

As we ran down the stairs I thought maybe construction going on nearby had undermined the integrity of the building.

Earthquakes are just not in my field of reference.

I do remember a much smaller one (3.something) in NY back in the early 80s

Heart
(still shaking)

JAGG
08-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I canYeah, that sort of thing is never heard of here. A lot of us still feel dizzy...You think you're losing your mind. Very strange feeling...I can't even explain it.

Its called fracking and big oil is fracking in that region. It causes earthquakes but of course they deny it harms anything. I told my family last year when they started fracking , that if they start having earthquakes , you will know why!! Imagine that. Better have your water tested and your soil too. Just saying...

MsTinkerbelly
08-23-2011, 01:02 PM
We evacuated my small office building in Brooklyn NY!

At first I thought I was having an anxiety attack or a stroke or something. Then my heart started pounding out of my chest as I heard other people yelling and my thoughts went to some kind of bomb or attack.

As we ran down the stairs I thought maybe construction going on nearby had undermined the integrity of the building.

Earthquakes are just not in my field of reference.

I do remember a much smaller one (3.something) in NY back in the early 80s

Heart
(still shaking)

Because there is no warning and you have no control, it is sometimes like being in a bombing or other violent episode; the effects to your system might hang on a while. Just talk about it to all who will listen...share your feelings and concerns. It really does help when you feel like you're not so alone.

tapu
08-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Because there is no warning and you have no control, it is sometimes like being in a bombing or other violent episode; the effects to your system might hang on a while. Just talk about it to all who will listen...share your feelings and concerns. It really does help when you feel like you're not so alone.

Yes, the unexpectedness makes it hard to process.

I think, too, that it's a primal fear: the actual ground on which you're standing is moving. It literally "shakes the foundation" of your existence.

It's "deeper" than storms or floods and such. In a tornado, you go inside. In a flood, you get to higher ground. In an earthquake? They say if you're inside stay inside; if you're outside stay outside. What's that tell you? There is nowhere safe to go.

Red Dirt Girl
08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Felt it in DC. My sister felt it in Detroit. My mom did not feel it in Hudson Valley (just 2hrs north of NYC). We had one in DC not too long ago actually, like within the last year or so.

Frickin' fracking.

*Anya*
08-23-2011, 01:45 PM
I have lived in CA for over 35 years and have never, ever have gotten used to them! It is like a vertigo that I get and I feel very ill when it happens.

Frequently, luckily, they seem to happen when I am sleeping or maybe I notice them more because they wake me up, but am always glad I am laying down.

I hate it when they happen when I am at work because my office is second from the top floor and the whole building sways.

My thoughts are with you east coasters, you did get a fairly good sized quake.

Hope your families are OK too.

ScandalAndy
08-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Felt it in Philly! We couldn't figure out why stuff was rattling in the lab and phone cords were swinging on the wall phones!

christie
08-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Richmond here - it was pretty wild for a couple of minutes. Our building is O.L.D. At first, I thought it was some kinda semi who backed (literally) into the building until I saw other businesses with everyone running out the doors.

Jess even felt it in the SW portion of the state where we live - 237 miles from Richmond. She was working on the dishwasher and thought she had done something REALLY wrong.

Thanks to all our pals who have reached out to make sure we are ok!

Rockinonahigh
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Either mother nature is pissed again or big oil has something to do with this..
Glad all are safe,I do get anyone who feels like a huge case of vertago its a strange feeling.

SmoothButch
08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Man, we were only 43 mins / 32 miles from the epicenter!!!

I was sitting at Best Buy getting Laerkin's new stereo installed. The entire building started shaking and rumbling loudly. At first, lol I thought it was some serious bass kicking from someones radio they hooked up...then me and this couple that were waiting were like WTF was that and we got up and ran outside...The ground was still shaking...lasted awhile....So exciting!

The phone lines all went down. All hands on deck was called for all available fire and rescue members, just in case.

Glad to report that there was no injuries around here and no real damage. We got home and somethings fell off of our kitchen shelf and a couple of picture frames were crooked. The pets were a little unnerved too.

JoSchmooze
08-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes, the unexpectedness makes it hard to process.

I think, too, that it's a primal fear: the actual ground on which you're standing is moving. It literally "shakes the foundation" of your existence.

It's "deeper" than storms or floods and such. In a tornado, you go inside. In a flood, you get to higher ground. In an earthquake? They say if you're inside stay inside; if you're outside stay outside. What's that tell you? There is nowhere safe to go.

Being a native Californian....
We are told to find a doorway to stand in....

theoddz
08-23-2011, 06:28 PM
I can

Its called fracking and big oil is fracking in that region. It causes earthquakes but of course they deny it harms anything. I told my family last year when they started fracking , that if they start having earthquakes , you will know why!! Imagine that. Better have your water tested and your soil too. Just saying...

Here's a fun little ditty about that fracking process:

timfvNgr_Q4

Ugh.....fracking. Just another little giftie from Bush The Younger. :rant:

~Theo~ :bouquet:

*Anya*
08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I know this is a major derail but everytime I see or hear the word fracking, I think of Battlestar Galactica-new version, not 1970's one- and Starbuck, my favorite fracking female character of all time.

Just saying....

:hangloose:

Kobi
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Ok we have earthquakes and aftershocks on both coasts.

We have Hurricane Irene, with the current early track, going right over Mass.
Almost choked on lunch when I saw that. Yet, my gut says its not going to be as big a problem as it could be. Water temp here is in the mid 60's. Should shear part of it.

Pardon me while I go and convince myself not to worry. :vigil: