PDA

View Full Version : "I see you as a man"

Quintease
08-27-2011, 05:32 AM
My bf and I watched this video DjqsB1huDxg

And that's when I realised a friend of mine has used a variation of that phrase several times, both with my bf and with me. Each time I've responded with "That's because he is a man", but perhaps that's not enough. What should I be saying?

He's the first ts she's ever met, so I imagine she's trying to be accepting...

Ebon
08-27-2011, 07:34 AM
"Well I've seen dumb and dumber so I know what you're going through." lmao

SelfMadeMan
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I think your response it spot on... when someone tells me that they consider me a man, or see me as a man, think of me as a man, etc - I do the same thing, I remind them that I *AM* a man, it's about all you can do really until they choose to get a better understanding.

crashhere4eva
10-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I do not mean to pry into the thread, just was reading and I feel strongly about this issue so I thought I would share encouragement. When I speak of and to a "Transexual" I do not use the term FMT, MTF or even the word "transexual". I say "man" or "woman" to me, it's a non issue in terms of what to call people. I do understand that there is a "transition" that takes place (physically anyway) however, I refer to "transexuals" as men and/or women. You don't go through all the process one must go through to be a man or a woman only for other people to call it something else. For example, I would not call myself straight. It is not up to me to tell someone else what they are when such a thing is so very personal. I would not let anyone call me straight or my girlfriend straight because she is so feminine and what some say "straight looking". If you ask me, to go through what one must go through, you gotta be convicted to do so. More power to you man and friend. By the way, for a dude you look good! Take care!

Martina
10-25-2011, 05:57 PM
She kinda forgot about lesbian transsexuals there. Or did she mean to account for them with that picture of the two girls?

Billy
10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
It happens all the time ..I think it happens because, its the knowing we where born female , and now we are male and seen as Men :) And they kind of go back and forth with it ..I have a broker @ the shop that gets a kick out of someone addressing Me as Sir , it kind of makes it more real for him because he has known me for about 12 years and I am going on My 5 year on T .. He just smiles :)

Kaison
10-25-2011, 06:17 PM
For me my transition was just that, a transition! - I started as female the transition was the middle part to where and who I am now.

atomiczombie
10-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I have been told, "I think of you as a man" before too. It annoys me. But I don't get mad at the person, I just ignore it. I don't know why. Maybe the next time it happens I will say something.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the video by the way. And I don't think she intentionally left out lesbians, more like the person asking her about her sexuality, she was answering for herself only.

EmpressM
10-26-2011, 12:28 AM
I've been contemplating my response for a while, and I am certainly not intending to intrude or debate anyone's feelings or point of view. Not being a transperson myself, I'm sure there's much to which I cannot relate.

I have used this very statement and variations thereof. However, how much of the offensiveness is a result of context or the person using it?

I have used it as what I believed to be reassurance when discussing with a transperson insensitive comments or actions by others where it made the transperson question their ability to "pass" or to be seen as they are now. I've never used the statement unsolicited. Is there another way to say something similar when asked your opinion that would resonate in a more positive, less cringe-worthy way?

Also, does the perception of the statement change when used in a positive context, such as reassurance in a conversation between two transpeople or a transperson and their partner?

EnderD_503
10-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Ugh, the statement "I see you as a man" is loaded with assumptions that it's enough to make your head explode before you even figure out where to start, lol.

Of course, there's the issue of some transmen wanting to retain the distinction between themselves and cismen (transmale as its own sex). There's other transmales who simply use the identifier "man" with cis people just to circumvent the confusion of telling them the body they inhabit doesn't necessarily make them a man...or a woman. There's other trans folks who don't identify within the binary even if they've undergone HRT and/or SRS. So she'd be getting a very different response depending on the trans person/transguy I think.

But if the comment is towards a transguy who identifies strictly as a man, then I think the simplest response is what you said, "well, that's because he is a man." Though the whole statement is enough to make a person want to give them a Trans 101 crash course.

@Empress, I get why some might think that the statement is meant to reassure some trans people that they "pass," or reassure us that at least someone sees us as the sex and/or gender that we actually are. Honestly, though, I think something like "ignore them" instead of "I see you as a man" is more supportive. Then again I may be the wrong person to respond to this. I feel there are a lot of problems with the politics of "passing" and the need to reassure trans people that they "pass" when it comes to dealing with trans people as a generalized group (vs. a trans person as an individual with individual thoughts/circumstances), so I don't see that sort of support necessary for myself, anyway. It depends on how that trans person interacts with their own sex/gender.

Edit: Also wanted to express my initial "omg, it's Calpernia Addams!" reaction. I had no clue she had a youtube channel. I'm totally subscribing to her now. I hearts me some Calpernia :D

ScandalAndy
10-26-2011, 08:47 PM
uh oh, now I feel bad. I've used the statement "I see you as a man" before to partners who were feeling really insecure because people in their lives had insulted them and called them a woman, or a dyke. They identify as male, and that's exactly who they are to me. I certainly didn't intend to offend with that, though. Is there a better way to say "no, in my head I"m not thinking you're just a woman in man's clothing" or "no, i don't think you're a dude dressing up like a girl". Those terribly offensive statements crush people I care about, and I want to find a way to tell them that their identity is valid to me and I respect them.

Nadeest
10-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Andy, we live and learn. Next time, just tell them that those people are being idiots, and that they ARE male, and have always been so.
I, as a transwoman, haven't always handled new situations, and situations like that, the best way that they could have been handled. I just try to learn from my mistakes and go on.

DomnNC
10-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Like Ender said it just depends on the person. Personally, I don't find it offensive or belittling, I simply see it as someone saying, "I see YOU", the real you, regardless of how you're packaged, I see YOU.

ScandalAndy
10-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Andy, we live and learn. Next time, just tell them that those people are being idiots, and that they ARE male, and have always been so.
I, as a transwoman, haven't always handled new situations, and situations like that, the best way that they could have been handled. I just try to learn from my mistakes and go on.

I guess I'm just curious because in my case I used the phrase in the specific context of a conversation with a partner or very close friend who was feeling vulnerable about themselves. I guess it would have been better to have said "well, they're clearly blind because you are obviously a man, there's just something wrong with them". I get that now, I was just curious if she was talking about it in the context of some random person she met in her capacity as a public figure, or if it's always offensive, regardless of intent.

Words
10-26-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm always having to correct people because when they realize that Blue was born a woman, they assume Hy now thinks of Hymself as a man and say stupid/annoying stuff accordingly.

Third gendered is definitely something that doesn't fit in their nice little binary world and I really feel very strongly about the need for greater public awareness. (When Blue went for Hys first job here in the UK, there were three boxes on the application form when it came to sex - male, female, other. A good start, but by no means enough.)

Words

betenoire
10-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Edit: Also wanted to express my initial "omg, it's Calpernia Addams!" reaction. I had no clue she had a youtube channel. I'm totally subscribing to her now. I hearts me some Calpernia :D

I have always wanted her and Drew Barrymore to take turns reading to me. They've both got that style of voice that I can listen to all day.

Nat
10-26-2011, 11:57 PM
I think there is an appropriate time to say this: When a person asks how you see them.

QueenofSmirks
10-27-2011, 12:14 AM
uh oh, now I feel bad. I've used the statement "I see you as a man" before to partners who were feeling really insecure because people in their lives had insulted them and called them a woman, or a dyke. They identify as male, and that's exactly who they are to me. I certainly didn't intend to offend with that, though. Is there a better way to say "no, in my head I"m not thinking you're just a woman in man's clothing" or "no, i don't think you're a dude dressing up like a girl". Those terribly offensive statements crush people I care about, and I want to find a way to tell them that their identity is valid to me and I respect them.

Don't apologize for use of that statement. Ten people in one online thread don't speak for an entire community of people. One person's insult is another's affirmation. A friend of mine was transitioning several years ago and asked me "How do you see me?" I said "I've always seen you as a guy." He hugged me. It wasn't offensive to him, it was exactly what he was hoping for.

EnderD_503
10-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Don't apologize for use of that statement. Ten people in one online thread don't speak for an entire community of people. One person's insult is another's affirmation. A friend of mine was transitioning several years ago and asked me "How do you see me?" I said "I've always seen you as a guy." He hugged me. It wasn't offensive to him, it was exactly what he was hoping for.

The difference here is that he asked you. You didn't just assume that that is what he wanted to hear without him giving you reason to.

Thinker
10-27-2011, 07:09 AM
I guess I'm just curious because in my case I used the phrase in the specific context of a conversation with a partner or very close friend who was feeling vulnerable about themselves. I guess it would have been better to have said "well, they're clearly blind because you are obviously a man, there's just something wrong with them". I get that now, I was just curious if she was talking about it in the context of some random person she met in her capacity as a public figure, or if it's always offensive, regardless of intent.

And sometimes it is not so "clear" and people are genuinely responding to what they see........their perception.......or what they KNOW. When we first moved here, I was just starting my transition. The people we interacted with most knew what was going on; they tried and "failed" a lot. But I do know they were trying. I could not fault people for seeing what they saw. I could not say, "It's obvious I am a man," because it was not obvious to them at all. I knew that.

And I'm not talking about assholes who are out to make us miserable or are looking to tear down or discriminate against. I'm talking about people who are trying.......people who want to get it right and/or affirm us.

I did not watch the video recently (it was probably a year or so ago), so I'm not responding to what was said there because I don't remember her specific context.......just taking it beyond that to what others here have experienced and what my own experiences were.

The whole "trans thing" is not a common daily thought for the vast majority of people out there. In fact, I would bet that most people don't think about it AT ALL unless they're confronted with a story......Chaz in the headlines, etc.... So when they were confronted with me a few years back, the people I bothered to interact with were really trying. Honestly, there wasn't anything they could have said that would have been offensive.....to ME.

They said things that were narrow........or uninformed........maybe even insensitive.......but I knew for sure they did not *mean* to be that way. And I'm not one of those who says, "It's not my job to educate you." With something like this, if I don't do what I can then they'll most likely not do it themselves and will continue on being uninformed.

I do get that when you dig down really deep into a statement that, yes, it can reek of ignorance or transphobia; but I honestly don't believe that the people who are really trying are at that level. I just can't allow myself to assume that about most people.

Pollyanna, rainbows, and unicorns???? Probably.

EmpressM
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
I really appreciate everyone's perspective on this topic. Being a Psychiatry student, a very similar discussion occurred in one of my classes recently. Personally, I had an incredibly difficult time accepting the professor's textbook response to the questions and perspectives of myself and my classmates. It is wonderful to have the opportunity to explore first person experiences and hear from the community. Only so much can be learned from theory and books alone. Even professors with good intentions can be short sighted and at times, dead wrong.

SelfMadeMan
10-27-2011, 08:59 AM

No! You have NO reason to feel bad :) You have a wonderful, supportive attitude - I should have clarified that in my original post - I don't mind it when it's coming from a place of support.. it annoys me with hetero people who don't go out of their way to be supportive but will say "ok, I see you as a man" as an empathetic pat on the back. You're doing nothing wrong :)

EnderD_503
10-28-2011, 04:24 PM
I really appreciate everyone's perspective on this topic. Being a Psychiatry student, a very similar discussion occurred in one of my classes recently. Personally, I had an incredibly difficult time accepting the professor's textbook response to the questions and perspectives of myself and my classmates. It is wonderful to have the opportunity to explore first person experiences and hear from the community. Only so much can be learned from theory and books alone. Even professors with good intentions can be short sighted and at times, dead wrong.

Oddly enough had a similar experience with a professor in one of my classes recently. For me personally I find it difficult to sit in a classroom setting and hear someone talk about a community I'm a part of as if they have more authority on it than the community members themselves. That's been my experience anyways. Irritates the hell out of me.

QueenofSmirks
10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
The difference here is that he asked you. You didn't just assume that that is what he wanted to hear without him giving you reason to.

I think it's splitting hairs...

EnderD_503
10-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I think it's splitting hairs...

Not if one is on the receiving end... I don't think it can be assumed that all transmales are going to be ok with it when they've given no indication...

Corkey
10-28-2011, 11:06 PM
When I hear "I see you as a... it doesn't matter what the end word is. If they don't see me as a human being the rest they will never see.

QueenofSmirks
10-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Not if one is on the receiving end... I don't think it can be assumed that all transmales are going to be ok with it when they've given no indication...

I don't think one should *ever* assume that an entire group will or will not be okay with something, which was sort of the point of my original post -- that while some might be offended by the "I see you as a man" statement, others won't be, regardless if they asked for the feedback or not.

But as to the "it's okay if they ask"... well... it's sort of like saying "I'm upset that you think my ass looks big in this dress. If I had *asked* you first if you thought my ass looked big, then it would have been okay." :|

Nadeest
10-30-2011, 01:09 PM
I can definitely agree with that, Thinker. When I first started transition, I was living in a rural area in the northern part of Michigan. Few people had ever dealt with this subject before, yet I had very few problems with anyone.