PDA

View Full Version : Feminism and Reproductive Rights

Novelafemme
09-19-2011, 11:33 AM
As many of you know, I am a senior at the University of Arizona majoring in Gender and Women's Studies. In my senior capstone class we have all been assigned the task of participating in/spearheading an intellectual, activist, and/or creative project that will enable us to put feminist critical analysis and theory into practice. This project can take the form of structured work within the community, such as an internship, historical or activist project and should inevitably compliment my GWS classroom studies.

My idea, and why I am sharing this with my fellow Planeteers, is to interview a variety of feminist minded individuals who feel disenfranchised with global/local/individual reproductive rights/issues women are currently faced with...abortion rights in particular. Specifically, I am interested in hearing from the transgendered mtf/ftm/questioning population. Feminism, as an ideology as well as a practical and theoretical tool of knowledge production, is not a concept that died post second wave. So, how can you/we as a burgeoning population work to insight and catapult change for/into future generations?

If you feel so inclined, please post your responses here or feel free to PM me. Your participation is very appreciated!

iamkeri1
09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi. I'm not in the group you are targeting, but I see you have had no responses. I will tell you honestly that I didn't understand what you were looking for even after I read your OP twice. Could you elaborate a little?
I hope you get great responses.
Smooches,
Keri

*Anya*
09-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I too would appreciate clarification. Thanks!

Novelafemme
09-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I apologize for my lack of clarity. Basically, I want to create a final project that speaks to the issue of abortion rights (or lack of) in America today. I plan to touch on the history of women's reproductive rights from the inception of roe-v-wade to where we are today as far as systematically curtailing access to safe and legal abortions as well as contraception and pregnancy prevention.

THEN...I would like to (and I'm not exactly sure this can be done, which is why I am opening up a dialoge here about it) hear from various transpeople about their thoughts and views with regard to the above.

For example, just because someone is born with female genetalia doesn't necessarily mean they are aligned with their individual reproductive anatomy. It also doesn't necessitate an alignment with pro-choice ideology. But my questions is WHY? If your gender identity is a fractured (for lack of a better word) part of your overall identity as a human being, yet you adopt particular feminist methodologies into your chosen lifestyle, then where did the disconnect from your fellow "sisters" occur? And feminist theory aside, if you think women's reproductive rights are irrelivant in light of perhaps more important issues at stake in society today - I'd like to hear why and what those more pressing issues are?

I really hope that helps. If not, I can try to unpack it better.

Thanks so much again! I really appreciate it.

Oh, and before I forget...as part of my practicum experience I would like to start a silent protest outside of the only remaining abortion clinic in the city of Tucson. I have to iron out the logistics, but for all practical reasons it will theoretically happen on Saturdays at the same time a group of pro-lifers protest the clinic at the same location.

This being Arizona, and all the crazies that live here...would you think there is a need on my part to be concerned for my personal safety? In other words, is it reasonable for me to be worried about someone shooting me. I'm not scared...really...it's just crazy and unpredictable times we are currently living in.

Dominique
09-21-2011, 01:39 PM
There is a silent demonstration outside the ONLY abortion clinic in Pittsburgh every day. The address is 700 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh, 15222
I don't know the name of the place. (Could it be Planned Parenthood?) Never an incident. Maybe because there is a demonstration every day and people have become used to it. Maybe you can google or something to find out some archived info.

EnderD_503
09-21-2011, 02:02 PM
For example, just because someone is born with female genetalia doesn't necessarily mean they are aligned with their individual reproductive anatomy. It also doesn't necessitate an alignment with pro-choice ideology. But my questions is WHY? If your gender identity is a fractured (for lack of a better word) part of your overall identity as a human being, yet you adopt particular feminist methodologies into your chosen lifestyle, then where did the disconnect from your fellow "sisters" occur? And feminist theory aside, if you think women's reproductive rights are irrelivant in light of perhaps more important issues at stake in society today - I'd like to hear why and what those more pressing issues are?

I really hope that helps. If not, I can try to unpack it better.

I'm still not sure I'm entirely understanding your questions. After you give the following examples: "For example, just because someone is born with female genetalia doesn't necessarily mean they are aligned with their individual reproductive anatomy. It also doesn't necessitate an alignment with pro-choice ideology," you ask the question why, which I take to mean you're asking why people would feel either way? So basically, are you asking, as one of your questions, why a trans person assigned "female" at birth based on the outward appearance of genitalia, who does not feel a connection (or feels distress over) with the reproductive anatomy assigned to them, feels that way? In that case, I'm not entirely certain how this will link up to the subject of women's reproductive rights, but moreso into trans issues, trans identities and trans bodies.

Or are you trying to make a connection between being a trans person (or transguy, it seems, in your examples) with body dysphoria and being pro-choice? I guess, I'm partially interpreting what you've written as you asking why someone who is transmale, but was assigned female at birth, would support women's rights and/or pro-choice/reproductive rights issues. In that case, I'm not sure I'm interpreting right, since there are many men in general who are pro-choice and who are supportive of overall women's rights.

I'm also not sure what you mean by adopting "modern feminist methodologies into your current lifestyle," or "where the disconnect from your fellow 'sisters' occurred." I don't understand what you mean, and trying hard not to jump to conclusions with that second bit. But then I also don't get what you mean by a "fractured" gender identity. It could just be personal, but I don't feel my gender identity is "fractured." In many respects I don't really feel I have a gender identity; though I do have a sex identity, which is male. I'm a bit confused, still :confused:

As far as your last question about the relevance of women's reproductive rights, I think all rights are entirely relevant. Just because more than one group faces rights issues doesn't mean we need to create hierarchies, nor do we need to ignore others' rights. It's entirely possible to be concerned about, and to tackle a whole slew of rights issues. Women's reproductive rights are a huge issue, imo, and one that I feel extremely strongly about and try to actively support as much as I possibly can. Even though abortion is legal across Canada, there are still a lot of barriers women's reproductive rights face in Canada, and that is a huge concern to me. My own identity really has nothing to do with how disgusted I feel when a governing body tries to control or own the body's of citizens, or to determine what the body's of citizens "are for" or "aren't for." To me it has to do with a woman's right to self-govern her body and her life without dictatorial interference from people who should have no say over whether or not she chooses to reproduce at a given time (or ever).

I really am interested in understanding what you're saying, so hopefully you won't give up on trying to further explain for those of us who don't entirely get it.

Novelafemme
09-21-2011, 02:21 PM
please feel free to read into, replace words, and generally do with my ramblings as you wish...honestly! this is sort of an open-ended, nameless/faceless amalgamation of thoughts swirling somewhat aimlessly around in my head.

Ok, so...great...the ball is rolling. :) the most simplistic version would be, if youre sex identity is male and for all apparent reasons you are male, does your maleness allign with and support your (potential) feminist ideology with regard to women's rights. OR...since your sex identity is male, does that (potential) feminist ideology lessen or pale in comparisson to (perhaps) a more important male formulated ideology. this is all assuming that you were or did at some point allign yourself with some course of feminist thought and/or women's reproductive rights.

i sure hope that's clearer. :) if not, i may have to throw in the towel and make this an in real time/life discussion so i can articulate my thoughts better. :) thanks for sticking with me, though! i appreciate your time and effort!

Toughy
09-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, so...great...the ball is rolling. the most simplistic version would be, if youre sex identity is male and for all apparent reasons you are male, does your maleness allign with and support your (potential) feminist ideology with regard to women's rights. OR...since your sex identity is male, does that (potential) feminist ideology lessen or pale in comparisson to (perhaps) a more important male formulated ideology. this is all assuming that you were or did at some point allign yourself with some course of feminist thought and/or women's reproductive rights.

You keep saying sex identity. Are you saying you want to hear from trans-men (female to male) and/or trans-women (male to female) and/or TG butches of the male variety?

Okiebug61
09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
If you have female parts and you want to bring a child into the world that should be your choice, if not that should be your choice also. I do not think gender identity would have any influence on my choice and I certainly would not let someone else tell me what I can and can not do with my own body. I am Pro Choice 200%.

Good Luck with your paper!

Novelafemme
09-21-2011, 03:41 PM
You keep saying sex identity. Are you saying you want to hear from trans-men (female to male) and/or trans-women (male to female) and/or TG butches of the male variety?

i'd like to hear from everyone, actually.

EnderD_503
09-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok, so...great...the ball is rolling. :) the most simplistic version would be, if youre sex identity is male and for all apparent reasons you are male, does your maleness allign with and support your (potential) feminist ideology with regard to women's rights. OR...since your sex identity is male, does that (potential) feminist ideology lessen or pale in comparisson to (perhaps) a more important male formulated ideology. this is all assuming that you were or did at some point allign yourself with some course of feminist thought and/or women's reproductive rights.

I think I'm starting to get it a bit better.

I don't really see my identity as a guy affecting or being related to my support for women's rights, or the urgency I feel in progressing women's reproductive rights. The two (identity and rights) are very different things for me. I don't really see my identity as a guy meaning that I also have a corresponding ideology. I guess I just don't see ideology (no matter who's rights it supports) as male or female. So, no, I guess my maleness doesn't align with or support my stance on women's rights, simply because I don't see it as a factor. I think I would be equally supportive no matter my identity. Neither do I feel that my support for women's rights is lessened by any allegiance to a more male-formulated ideology (then again, I don't see ideology as sexed). For me, rights issues should be everyone's concern no matter what their identity is. For example, I feel very strongly about Aboriginal rights in Canada, even though I am not Aboriginal.

That said, I'm extremely concerned with obtaining equal rights for trans people in Canada, but I also try not to create a hierarchy of rights between marginalized people. Instead, I try to see both struggles as a part of a greater picture, which is of a governing body attempting to control the bodies, identities and lives of those more marginalized than others (and who do reproductive rights affect most, in many cases? Often it is young women, poor women, young women trapped in extremely religious or conservative families, women in isolated communities, Aboriginal women, women with mental or physical disabilities, women who are victims of physical or sexual violence etc.).

I do admit, that because of the direct impact it has on my life, trans rights often are at the forefront of my mind. I guess in some sense there is a greater sense of immediacy than with some rights issues. I think we all do a little of that; being more concerned with what directly affects us or people we care about.

But in some ways I feel that similar immediacy about women's reproductive rights even though I am not a woman, because there are so many women living with the consequences every single day and their lives are absolutely torn asunder by it. Women out east who don't have access to abortion clinics, or women across the country who have no community or family support, Aboriginal women who have to deal with no direct access to clinics while dealing with all the issues that come with being an Aboriginal woman in Canada etc. Many of these women can't, for whatever reason, fight for their own rights (or perhaps not effectively), and so I feel that same immediacy, because no human being should have to face these overwhelming challenges. Legalizing abortion may be a step in the right direction, but it means nothing if you aren't providing women with necessary support and services. It angers me, no matter what my identity is.

I was inclined to say that maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was assigned female at birth, despite that I've never been/identified as female, and so know what it's like to be treated like you're nothing and that what you have to say is meaningless based only on what people perceive of your body. Yet, on the other hand, there are many people out there who were assigned female at birth who are staunch pro-lifers.

As such, I would conclude that it doesn't have to do with either my identity as male, nor the sex I was assigned at birth, but with the fact that I cannot stand the reduction of women to reproductive commodities, nor the claim that women should not determine what happens to their own bodies.

I hope I understood your question alright, and that what I've written has something to do with what you're looking for... Good luck with your research!

Corkey
09-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Ok, I don't think my sexual identity has anything to do with female reproductive rights. Women have the rights of their bodies. Period. Men do not have a say in what a woman does with her body. Period. The way I identify has no bearing on the above.

Novelafemme
09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
...and i certainly wasn't suggesting that your individual sexual identity does, did, could or would have anything to do with women's reproductive rights. what i was asking was whether or not female/male identified transpeople prioritize women's reproductive freedoms within the ideological framework of their own identities as men and women. men do have a say in this since men vote, men implement restrictive legislation as to what we can/cannot do with our (women's) bodies, and men dominate the political platform that mandates these statutes...by in large.

Corkey
09-21-2011, 08:57 PM
I have always and will continue to vote for women's rights to their own bodies. I do not agree that men have any say in what a woman does with her body. When the day comes a man develops a uterus, only then can he speak, and then for himself, no one else. I have never wavered in my fervent support of women's rights, never, and if you were my friend on the FB you may know this for a fact. I support Planned Parenthood, I contact my legislators on petitions that effect women's issues, and until my dying breath I will never give a man, any man the right to say what a woman can do with her body. My politics is not my gender, they are logical and humane.