PDA

View Full Version : New Standards of Care

Nadeest
09-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I just found out that the WPATH has promulgated a new version of the Standards of Care. Here is a link to the article that I read: http://www.thegavoice.com/index.php/news/national-news/3497-wpath-announces-new-standards-of-care-for-transgender-and-gender-nonconforming-people
From what I read of the summary, it looks awfully favorable.

DapperButch
09-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi, Nadeest.

I originally had plans to attend this conference, but when all was said and done, the costs were too prohibitive.

I knew that they had planned to roll out the new standards of care at this event, but did not know that they would be up so quickly on the web.

Thanks for posting.

atomiczombie
09-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Wow it sounds like they made some really terrific changes! I am so psyched! :)

Nadeest
09-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I've been reading the new version since I posted that link, and so far, it seems excellent. To be fair, though, I've only gotten to page 15 so far. I'll probably finish reading it tomorrow night.

Dante
09-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I've been reading the new version since I posted that link, and so far, it seems excellent. To be fair, though, I've only gotten to page 15 so far. I'll probably finish reading it tomorrow night.

Great article Nadeest. Thanks for sharing.

Nadeest
09-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Overall, I'm pleased with this new version. We still need 2 letters of recommendation for bottom surgeries and a year of RLT. With top surgeries, however, we only need one letter, and no RLT is needed, if I understand things correctly.
This version also mentions Intersexed people and gives recommendations as to their treatment. In addition, they are finally realizing that not everyone fits neatly into boxes labeled male or female, and they are fine with that. I think that we can happily live with this version for a considerable amount of time. :)

DapperButch
09-30-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.wpath.org/documents/Standards%20of%20Care%20V7%20-%202011%20WPATH.pdf

One no longer needs a letter from a therapist to begin hormone treatment. The treating physican can do the "assessment" that says that one requires hormones.

This is QUITE significant for people who don't want to have to see a therapist to get hormones.

But, yes, still need one letter for top surgery and two letters for bottom surgery.