PDA

View Full Version : When you're down, what do you do to pick yourself up?

Scrappy L'il Southpaw
10-04-2011, 02:01 PM
"When you're down and out, feeling small"

Enough song quoting... I can do that all day!

When you're feeling low or blue or in a funk or sad...whatever, not quite yourself, what do you do to pick yourself up?

It doesn't have to be huge. Sometimes it may redirect you for only a little while but it helps you to not continue to revolve in the doldrums.

For myself, today I popped in Disney's version of Rodger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella and I played "The Sweetest Sounds" repeatedly until I decided it was enough. I love that song and it had been on my mind. The entire movie makes me smile.

Gráinne
10-04-2011, 02:05 PM
I force myself into the shower, and then throw myself out of the house to go to the grocery, for example. Cleaning also helps. Sometimes watching a funny DVD, or listening to pick-me-up music.

Guy
10-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I usually go shopping for new clothes.

It makes me feel good when I look good. :princess:

Apocalipstic
10-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I pray

Watch Rocky Horror

Call a friend

Go for a walk

Drive with my sun roof open and Paradise City playing really loud

Go to accupuncture

Get a mani/pedi

Read something uplifting

And yes, listen to Disney Music like Bed Knobs and Brooksticks, Mary Poppins or Aristocats :)

Great thread idea, can't wait to see what suggestions appear. :)

Liam
10-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I go outdoors. I feel the sun on my back, or the wind on my cheek. I watch the clouds or the trees or the birds. Basically, I get out of my head.

LaneyDoll
10-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a few feel good songs that make me happy just in listening to them.

I play with make-up.

I plan my next event at the club-details keep me entertained.

I text/call my best butch friend.

I take a short walk---or a long bath.

:sparklyheart:

AtLast
10-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Have to agree with Liam, just getting out in the air usually gives me a lift. A walk with my pooch usually helps a lot. I start getting silly and focused on him and his cuteness and stress begins to decline.

When my spa was working, that was a way for me to kick back, relax and allow my muscles to let go. That helped, too.

Tawse
10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I think complete and total distraction is the name of the game for me.

Having an involved conversation with someone (not just the uh huh and ok type conversation) this is even more effective if it involves leaving the house - even though I hate doing such.

Playing a MMORPG - (I can't help it, I can't think about more than the game with 12 billion things going on at once)

Reading a very interesting and high tempo book

Adjusting my meds ;)

Doing some projects around the house

treadmill! (with music blasting)

and last but not least - making sure I am not avoiding an issue. Face it, acknowledge it, grieve it if need be, then start the process of moving on.

Amber2010
10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I call a close friend or start texting her .. That almost always works she can get me laughing just by a few lines. "smiles"

princessbelle
10-04-2011, 02:29 PM
For so many, MANY years when i was married to a bio man i was so lost, went through such depression and felt there was no escape.

This song honestly saved my life, more times than i can count. I used to sing it in the shower and cry and cry. I would come out of my shower feeling strong again.

Sometimes there is a song, a movie, a certain friend that can help pull you out of dark times.

Hold on for one more day and things will go your way...that is how i deal with the down times. (f)

qWrg1kUiAX4

1QuirkyKiwi
10-04-2011, 02:51 PM
If a good cry is needed, I sit and have a good one. I do Yoga, go for a walk, dance to music - even when I'm on crutches, I'll do a Waltz or Foxtrot. For me, it's about releasing the energy making me feel down or irritated - if that makes sense?

Novelafemme
10-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I usually go shopping for new clothes.

It makes me feel good when I look good. :princess:

Gotta love retail therapy :D

Scrappy L'il Southpaw
10-04-2011, 03:04 PM
For so many, MANY years when i was married to a bio man i was so lost, went through such depression and felt there was no escape.

This song honestly saved my life, more times than i can count. I used to sing it in the shower and cry and cry. I would come out of my shower feeling strong again.

Sometimes there is a song, a movie, a certain friend that can help pull you out of dark times.

Hold on for one more day and things will go your way...that is how i deal with the down times. (f)

qWrg1kUiAX4

That is a great song! I'm so glad you said "dark times." That encompasses so much and some people just don't get that it can be so much more than being sad and crying all the time.

During a similar time for me, my song was Destiny Child's Survivor. (grammar aside, you have to make it work with the music sometimes).

I'm a Survivor. I'm not gon' give up. I'm not gon' stop. I will work harder.
I'm a Survivor. I'm gonna make it. I will survive. Keep on survivin'.

Positive music or very expressive music is always very helpful.

When I'm emotional, I like the music LOUD!!!! If I'm pissed (at self or others) and trying to shake it and calm myself, LOUD music in the car is the best! Something with either a lot of guitar or a lot of bass or excellent harmonies so I can sing along. Whatever it is, it has to be passionate! Bryan Adams is good for harmonies and guitar.

I used to clear the furniture from the floor and dance. Usually something slow and expressive like Sarah McLachlan's Angel. I haven't done that in YEARS. I have the space for it now so I can take it back up.

Singing is also very therapeutic for me especially if I can get something new and challenging and conquer it. I can blow off steam AND add a new song to my repertoire.

Scrappy L'il Southpaw
10-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I go outdoors. I feel the sun on my back, or the wind on my cheek. I watch the clouds or the trees or the birds. Basically, I get out of my head.

Liam - the sun always feels great on my skin. If I had a place to sunbathe in the nude I would no matter what my mood!

Novelafemme
10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
It sounds completely OCD, and I'm sure it could be classified as such...but when I'm down sometimes I will feel almost instantly better when I clean. I totally get into my head and get lost in a zone that helps me sort through what's at the root of my sadness. The same thing goes for working outside in the yard. I can have little conversations in my brain and simultaneously work stuff through that can get stuck on a cellular level. Generally though, a good talk with my partner, some snuggle time with her and my girls, sometimes a good cry...and I'm all set!

And if all else fails, I have a heart to heart with my mom. She wasn't always the best mom but now that she's gone she's a fantastic listener! :)

RiverBoi
10-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I go fishing :) then hopefully have a cold beer while I clean said fish that I caught. By the time I clean up the mess, I am usually over whatever had me down.

River

dixie
10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I listen to speed metal...lol

Normally, I will stick my headphones on, grab my camera and tripod, and head out on a hike. The music plus the beauty of nature can really put things in perspective for me and cheer me up. :)

Glenn
10-04-2011, 05:34 PM
:eatinghersheybar:I bought fifteen Hershey's Symphony bars yesterday at the drugstore and shot up right in the parking lot.

tapu
10-04-2011, 05:48 PM
I like to hide things around the house that I know people will need to look for, and then when they start looking I say, "I'll help!", and then I find it almost immediately. It makes me feel good to have helped them out that way, you know? :)

Gemme
10-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Music has a huge influence on me. I will listen to it and either play online or watch something that is super fluffy, so I don't have to think. Thinking is where most of my stress comes from. The last thing I need is to do something that will make me more stressful or sad.

Abigail Crabby
10-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I get in my car and play *The Gaga* think about what is bothering me and sing as loud as I can along with her.

Usually by the time I've listened to the whole Cd twice I find myself able to work thru what is bothering me and I either shop or head on home singing at the top of my lungs :)

T4Texas
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
When I'm feeling depressed, I usually paint or do something creative. Its the best therapy for me. Years ago when I left a 15 year relationship and moved from a house into an efficiency apartment, I felt like I was bottoming out. Two of my friends came over with a set of oils and some canvas and said, You can have the paint but we get the painting. So I did them a desert scene which took me about a month to finish and after that time I had a better handle on all the things that were bothering me. Creativity is a life saver sometimes.

Soft*Silver
10-04-2011, 11:50 PM
short term things dont work on me..like showers, retails therapy, cookies. When I am down, its usually because something is not working in my life and I have to get a handle on it. So I have to take steps toward that..no matter how small. The exception to this is, the one thing that ALWAYS picks me up is being around horses, tho.

Rockinonahigh
10-05-2011, 12:29 AM
I normaly just meet the problem head on and get that sucker out of the way,if that dosent work or I just feel steping back from it for a bit I head off to the gym.There is a kick boxing dummy up stairs,I give him a good work out,then im fine afterwards.One of the hardest thing I have had to learn is the art of soft talk...im pretty direct and to the point wich most folks just dont understand,its not that im mean or pushy or even in anyones face,I have a dry sence of humor when needed.Very often I dont say much unless ask about something..heck most folks I work for or hang out with wonder why I dont get into convos about things,I mean im not intrested in the local drama club gosip and it also is a way to avoid drama all togeather.

1QuirkyKiwi
10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
One of the hardest thing I have had to learn is the art of soft talk...im pretty direct and to the point wich most folks just dont understand,its not that im mean or pushy or even in anyones face,

I've been trying the 'art' of tact and diplomacy for years and I still fail spectacularly at it, lol! I rarely mean to offend anyone, it's just that many people can't take the truth that well, thus, accuse me of being hurtful. I'm at that stage now where I just say I'm 'elegantly blunt' and leave it at that, lol! At least you know where you stand with me, lol!

suebee
10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I see I'm not unique in my coping skills. lol

Listening to music is one of my favorites. "I Can See Clearly Now" (any version) probably saved my life a couple of times when I was in the worst of my depression. Escapism in a good movie works well too. A walk on the beach or in the woods is great for body AND soul. Kitten or puppy therapy is good if I can resist the temptation of bringing yet another one home. Oh - and bunnies. Baby bunnies are the cutest creature on the planet! :)

Cleaning is great too. It's got a good end result, and gives me a sense of having a little bit of control.

But the absolute BEST is snuggling with my Sweetie. Can't beat that!

Sue :bunchflowers:

iamkeri1
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
I put on a brightly colored outfit. (hot pink or fire orange work best), and get myself out in the sunlight (pretty easy most of the time in FLorida.)

And the song that works best for me is ...

xWYRfsjBNQk

Smooches,
Keri
Don't like this video though!

Rockinonahigh
10-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I've been trying the 'art' of tact and diplomacy for years and I still fail spectacularly at it, lol! I rarely mean to offend anyone, it's just that many people can't take the truth that well, thus, accuse me of being hurtful. I'm at that stage now where I just say I'm 'elegantly blunt' and leave it at that, lol! At least you know where you stand with me, lol!

I couldnt have said it any better,my thouhgts exactly.

WingsOnFire
10-05-2011, 08:04 PM
I suffer from seasonal depression so I try to get out in the sun as much as I can. If I am having a bad day at work, I go outside and just soak up the sun.

I went to the 2 dollar movies 10 times to watch Twilight when I was really down a few years ago.. LOL.

I love to scrapbook.. So sitting down at my table and making a huge mess always helps.

Peppa.. my holy terror beagle who is my most cherished child... always makes me laugh. She is a crazy azz dog. Its hard to not smile around her especially when she is "braining" me.. which is when she shoves her forehead to mine and pushes my head back.. and wont let me talk.. still have no idea what she is doing but its funny as hell..

Disney movies always make me laugh..

Starbuck
10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Talking with my gf usually helps, her voice is very soothing.
If she's not available, I'll talk with another friend of the "family".
Music to me has always seemed to calm me, you know what they say about the savage beast? :listening:
And I'm rather fond of retail therapy :) even if it's just to buy a new shirt to make me look nice, it makes me feel better.
Going to church and singing praise and worship songs does wonders for me also!.

tapu
10-06-2011, 02:44 AM
If I'm just in the house and don't want to go out or do anything special, I just follow my dog around. Fairly closely, like he will me, you know? Wherever he goes, there I am, right behind him. He starts to get nervous pretty quickly and he's, like, looking around at me, left and right. Then his ears go down and he slinks around, trying to shake me. That just always cheers me up.

Dominique
10-06-2011, 05:28 AM
I don't get down very often. I have moments of crankiness, but that passes quickly. If a storm is brewing, I reach for the music. Music and a walk is a cure all, but I can't sing loud and off key while taking a walk....so
if it's soul searching, deep into my vulnerablity time, I'm in the house with the sterio loud enough to drown me out.....and I'm singing away! Rock star I'll never be.....(I play a mean set of imaginary instruments)...:vigil:

cuddlyfemme
10-06-2011, 05:37 AM
I suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) when I'm bummed out what helps me is talking to friends, cuddling with my kitties and playing music...loud

asphaltcowboi
10-06-2011, 05:47 AM
i usually take on a dare..(one that scares me) or ill go for a drive or a motorcycle ride until im completely lost.

Gina
10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I call around to find volunteer work that needs to be done..works for me..:)

msW8ing
10-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Take a long drive while cranking up my favorite cd's...go visit my grandbabies..or make quilts for my grandbabies or friends kids..baking something for someone special works to...scrubbing my house from top to bottom..even if it's winter it will get a spring cleaning. lol

tapu
10-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I steal stuff.

Talon
10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Punk rock on the ipod and an intense, sweaty, oh-god-I'm-going-to-puke workout...:blink:.
Or
:tea: A nice spot of tea, and an old movie.

tapu
10-07-2011, 04:14 PM
OK, OK, I've been fooling around, but here's what I honest-to-god do sometimes when I'm down: I give blood.

All the Red Crossers are so nice to you, and you feel like you're doing something good, and afterwards you get to sit at the long tables and eat as many snacks as you want and talk to the other donors.

If you really feel like shit, give platelets! It takes, like, 3 hours but they show you a movie and sometimes the women come around and feed you chocolate because you can't move your arms. I'm always like, More chocolate please.

Really, this one was not a joke. But I bet people who know me on here will suspect it is.

tapu
10-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Another day, another thing I do when I'm down. Hm, might this indicate that I spend a lot of time feeling down? I'll try not to think about that.

This is something I really have done, not just a joke, but it's not nearly so noble as giving blood.

Not so long ago I had this job that absolutely stifled my little self. It was pure management and nothing at all in the realm of creativity, where I've always fit best.

Well, in the kitchen at this job, where on my floor probably 100 people were, I would hear everyone complain about not having enough flatware available if you took lunch too long after noon.

So I gradually started removing flatware from the kitchen until people were, like, practically screaming about the lack of spoons every day. I'd hear, "People are taking the forks to their desks and then just leaving them there and now the rest of us can't use them!!" and such.

I had a pretty strong collection by about New Years so when we came back after the first, I started insinuating all the flatware back into the kitchen. I even gathered up an old set or two I had at home and added those in.

The whole office seemed happier within a week or two and I felt really happy and entertained, too.

You know... I always thought it a bad idea to make me a manager since, basically, I'm why they need management, but this seems like I ultimately had a large, positive effect on the workplace after all.

Random
10-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Music has a huge influence on me. I will listen to it and either play online or watch something that is super fluffy, so I don't have to think. Thinking is where most of my stress comes from. The last thing I need is to do something that will make me more stressful or sad.

Nods... That's why movies like Zoolander, or Stepbrothers are excellent *I need to stop thinking or I'm going to impload* movies....

Bella~Vita
10-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I count my blessings !

Inuus
10-08-2011, 12:13 PM
I do something for someone else.

For instance when I'm feeling down in the dumps I try to get over to the local shelter and do what I can to help. Sometimes I just pop in and bring the staff donuts and the animals treats. Sometimes like today I step WAY out of my norm and go to social events like the Animal Blessings today and try to represent the shelter in a positive way. It forces me to be "social" when usually I'm not. It's SO not me because it involves small talk and "shmoozing" which I really dread. This actually does help me to feel better...not sure why exactly, but it does.

RockOn
10-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Usually do somethng physical ... and push myself extra hard to wear myself down so as to be very exhausted.
Examples:
- work in the yard
- shoot hoops by myself til I'm about to drop
- call a butch bud with a good arm, arrange to meet and throw the football for a couple of hours
- build something with wood

By the way, I enjoy doing all the things I listed when I am not down. Only difference - I just go at it harder when I am out of sorts.

Seems after I get totally worn out, the "down feeling" has gone away.

msW8ing
10-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Another day, another thing I do when I'm down. Hm, might this indicate that I spend a lot of time feeling down? I'll try not to think about that.

This is something I really have done, not just a joke, but it's not nearly so noble as giving blood.

Not so long ago I had this job that absolutely stifled my little self. It was pure management and nothing at all in the realm of creativity, where I've always fit best.

Well, in the kitchen at this job, where on my floor probably 100 people were, I would hear everyone complain about not having enough flatware available if you took lunch too long after noon.

So I gradually started removing flatware from the kitchen until people were, like, practically screaming about the lack of spoons every day. I'd hear, "People are taking the forks to their desks and then just leaving them there and now the rest of us can't use them!!" and such.

I had a pretty strong collection by about New Years so when we came back after the first, I started insinuating all the flatware back into the kitchen. I even gathered up an old set or two I had at home and added those in.

The whole office seemed happier within a week or two and I felt really happy and entertained, too.

You know... I always thought it a bad idea to make me a manager since, basically, I'm why they need management, but this seems like I ultimately had a large, positive effect on the workplace after all.
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA omg I can't stop laughing. I'm so twisted I find this too funny. :huhlaugh::rofl:

tonaderspeisung
10-08-2011, 05:45 PM
i play the glad game

afixer
10-08-2011, 06:15 PM
If I'm just in the house and don't want to go out or do anything special, I just follow my dog around. Fairly closely, like he will me, you know? Wherever he goes, there I am, right behind him. He starts to get nervous pretty quickly and he's, like, looking around at me, left and right. Then his ears go down and he slinks around, trying to shake me.

this reminded me of an old housemate of mine that followed my cat around the entire day not letting her nap because she kept the housemate up all night meowing outside my bedroom to get in. ( i stayed elsewhere that night.)
every time i think about that it, cheers me up.

Dude
10-09-2011, 07:02 AM
I hose my duck.

tapu
10-09-2011, 07:06 AM
I hose my duck.

That's the spirit!

(and that's not a metaphor, right?)

msW8ing
10-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I hose my duck.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/Wendy_Sampson/Dontmolestmyducks.jpg

Gemme
10-09-2011, 03:34 PM
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/Wendy_Sampson/Dontmolestmyducks.jpg

Well, it's not just any duck. It's Dude's own duck.

:cheesy:

Okiebug61
10-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I usually do something for Red or I go and pick up my nephew and niece. All three of these wonderful people bring me back quickly.

msW8ing
10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Something new I've discovered that really cheers me up is posting on my grown adult childrens FB. Seriously. I know most of their friends and helped raise a lot of them. So I like to post the embarassing stories about all these kids. That starts them heckling and teasing each other in good fun. Cracks me up to read the comments they make to one another. I like to see how many respond comments one of my comments/stories can make them post. My record is 45 comments on one post. They all have fun and it makes me laugh. Memories can be good sometimes.

Dude
10-09-2011, 06:49 PM
That's the spirit!

(and that's not a metaphor, right?)

no metaphor

sometimes I suds him up with a little dawn (when he's stinky)
he enjoys it

deb_U_taunt
10-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Take the dogs to the puppy park. It's social for all of us.
I crank up the blues or rockabilly and clean house.
A hot bath with a good book.
Pick up my nieces and go shoot hoops.

tapu
10-09-2011, 06:58 PM
no metaphor

sometimes I suds him up with a little dawn (when he's stinky)
he enjoys it

Those ducks. God love 'em.

Sachita
10-11-2011, 12:00 PM
I pick up my granddaughter early from daycare and we play.
Sometimes if I'm in a funk I'll clean my house, organize, light candles, put some flowers about and make my space nice.
Often I sit outside in my meditation chair looking over the farm and concentrating on my connection to the universe.

Daywalker
10-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Sometimes, I play Neil.

5RbAYmTckqk

:praying:

:daywalker:

tapu
10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
This time, I can't think of a blessed thing. :(

And I can't give blood again for a week.

Scrappy L'il Southpaw
10-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Today I seem to be challenged to remember or find the umph to start any pick me up attempts.I'm going to go to bed, pick up my routine tomorrow and pray it brings a more heart calm day. I'm feeling wrung out.

msW8ing
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
tQ2ZYLoE55U

nO-GsDwYwtI&NR=1

kannon
10-12-2011, 02:04 PM
aJ4uFij81qU

starryeyes
10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I eat unfortunately, but I am trying to do other things instead like going running, going to the gym, taking my dog on a hike... etc. They usually get my mind off the yucky stuff, and make me feel more confident about myself!

Words
10-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Recently? I put Phantom of the Opera on full blast and sing along.

Usually results in my having a good cry and then feeling considerably better.

Words

Daktari
10-12-2011, 02:58 PM
After a thoroughly miserable and stressful day the lovely Alice Allarse, knowing it was one of those days for me, suggested cocktails at our current favourite cocktail venue. A couple of magaritas, a lime daiquiri and a good few laughs later I'm not half so miserable. :barmartini:

Estella
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Reading through these posts I'm beginning to really feel on a fundamental level what a materialistic, bourgeois hussy I really am. I don't sing, write letters, volunteer, or do nice things for others. I shop. Good, old-fashioned retail therapy. In fact, back in the day when I had noooo money, I would promise myself an allowance of $5 per week to spend on anything I wanted. I could splurge and buy candy bars, or I could save it up for a couple of weeks and buy a new lipstick. Fortunately, I'm generally pretty emotionally stable and I don't blow the mortgage money, but the fact is a day with new shoes is a day with just a little more sunshine.

Trey339
10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I do anything strenuous to blow it out,,,run,,,exercise,,,fk,,,,get those good feelin hormones pumpin,,always picks me up

Apocalipstic
10-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Go to the BFP Reunion!

Works miracles. :)

Scuba
10-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Watch "Finding Nemo" ...

Hollylane
10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
I used to sing, and as soon as this cough gets out of my lungs...I will sing again...OFTEN.

T D
10-19-2011, 08:37 PM
I usually go for a walk. Works every time ;)

miss entycing
10-27-2011, 11:23 AM
days like today, it's really deep, hard, dark and LOUD music.
or i write a new story.
or i steal my dads 67 GTO and drive it reallyyyyyy fast. any road. to anywhere.
or i climb my tail on the bike and hold on tight.
or i hide, i dis-associate completely or i just simply cry in the corner.
it is what it is. it all works for me.
:)

tapu
10-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I've served my dog his food in a Tupperware bowl, and put the clear, plastic lid on it. Only once though.

ButchEire
10-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Spend a day with my best friend's kids. Puts EVERYTHING in perspective.

sara-bera
10-27-2011, 11:33 AM
stand by the ocean

take a walk in the sunshine

listen to happy, bouncy love songs

talk with my best friend

have some tea

watch a silly movie

stretch or do a little yoga (poorly, but I do try)

tapu
10-27-2011, 11:40 AM
One time, to distract myself from thinking about my downer, I made a spider out of 100 of those black binder clips with the wire pinchee on each side, you know? Like in offices?

I started with 4 large clips hooked together to make the central mass (body), and then I splayed out eight legs by clipping more clips, first same size and then progressively smaller, to each clip before it.

I didn't put just one clip on the clip before; instead, I clipped one on each of the two pinchees on the previous binder clip. (This is key.) It made, like, long, hairy-looking spider legs. I can make one again and take a picture of it in case you want to make your own.

tapu
10-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey, is there anybody who can send me a whole bunch of those binder clips in different sizes?

Thanks,
tapu

CockyDude
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
But once again I have to say; blondes, bikes, beer.
Yea, I am that base. ;-)

tapu
10-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Oh my. Because of my earlier request for binder clips, some here have been concerned that I might be down right now. No, I just wanted to make another spider and I don't know what happened to my binder clips.

Thank you, you-know-who-you-are!

weatherboi
10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
http://users.manchester.edu/Student/NLAschenbrenner/lamb.gif

Miss July
10-27-2011, 04:34 PM
A long run by the Berkeley Marina
Have Great Sex
Call My Bestie (Not at the same time I am having the said great sex)
Retail Therapy
Chocolate & More Chocolate
Hot tub, glass of wine & ceegar
Bake something delicious for my friends
Have a good cry

tonaderspeisung
10-27-2011, 06:32 PM
two words - don knotts

tonaderspeisung
10-30-2011, 06:33 PM
I've served my dog his food in a Tupperware bowl, and put the clear, plastic lid on it. Only once though.

i tied this today

my dog looked at the bowl - then looked at me with what i suspect to be a c'mon grow up expression
then my pup walked away

weatherboi
10-30-2011, 06:52 PM
I drink lots of local beers and shoot off fireworks!

funkyfemme
10-30-2011, 07:24 PM
hot bath and hot chocolate! thanks BBB for making me take the plunge! ;)

weatherboi
10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
i put on zombie make up and go trick or treating

ruby_woo
10-31-2011, 10:46 PM
I make myself laugh. Hyperbole and a Half (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/), especially the story about the Sneaky Hate Spiral (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/05/sneaky-hate-spiral.html), always cracks me up. I also like The Oatmeal (http://theoatmeal.com/).

Or I'll go over to the part of my office that allows dogs, and scratch some soft furry ears.

Or, you know...beer.

Glenn
10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
I get out my calligraphy pens and ink, and write letters for awhile.

Sarafemme
11-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Listen to music, go out for a latte at a coffee shop; read; write my feelings down; chat with my online bestie if she's around; visit this Website. :)

Miss Scarlett
11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I get out of the house and into the sunshine...

Spend time with my crystals...

Spend time in nature, reconnecting and grounding...

Talk with friends...

And there's always chocolate...

foxyshaman
11-30-2012, 02:00 PM
I :typewriter:

or I

:tea: well coffee really cause I don't understand tea

or else I

:reader: -

But I really like to

:weightlifter: I lift way more when I am trying to get out of my brain

why is that?? :blink:

Ginger
11-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Watch Kids in the Hall videos on YouTube

Use the exercycle in my apartment

Pet my neighbor's dog or some other dog, any dog I pass on the street

Rockinonahigh
11-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Usely when i'm down about something it means I haven't taken enough care of me,when I do get down about things I do the following.
I sometimes have to give myself time to just have a small pity party,then I kick my self in the ass for letting things get to me.
I get out of the house.
Go play with my over active furbabies.
Turn on the disco then let it rip.
Once in a while I bake cookies.
Read a book.
Go out to my uncles farm to the old fishing shack he has at the lake
then go fishing.
or go to the health club then soak in the hot tub.
Or sit back with a huge cup of real hot coco and chill.

Uli
11-30-2012, 05:04 PM
5 Minute Dance Party

Gráinne
11-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Throw myself out of the house for a walk
Go to the grocery, or Whole Foods (not retail therapy, and no driving if I'm very upset)
Watch a funny movie (I have a collection just for this)
Take a hot shower, take care of myself with lotions and pampering, and whatever ;). Reconnect with my body.
Write
Visit this website
Exercise usually works, but I don't use it as a kind of punishment.
Play music
Play Just Dance with the kids

Ginger
11-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Something else I do to pick myself up: Make a list.

I mean, a list of things to do, like in the morning—all the little shit; pay bills, buy a spritzer for the wreath, start that P&W grant for our series, call A in Los Angeles, work out, take a shower, measure the balcony for outdoor carpet, backup my files from the week.

A list of banal things to follow spares me from having to identify and then prioritize those small things, which can turn into huge obstacles, when a person is down.

It works.

Liam
11-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I take a walk, hang out in nature, play ball with miss furry pants; these activities never fail to get me out of my head. I also think about the things for which I am grateful, that always chases away the blues.

Ginger
11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
I take a walk, hang out in nature, play ball with miss furry pants; these activities never fail to get me out of my head. I also think about the things for which I am grateful, that always chases away the blues.

Nature is very healing, isn't it.

grenade
11-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I sing, paint, put on make up, cry or talk to someone...when I get it out, instant pick me up.

lusciouskiwi
11-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Going to get my nails done to distract myself ... if I can get my brain to stop working that is.

clay
12-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Water almost always does it for me. Something about the waves, the gentle salt air breeze, and just losing myself...and a dolphin....SCORE!!!
Music, writing are also very helpful. I rarely get down, but when I do, I can write and that is such a soul soother!!!

Blade
12-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Go fishing
Pray
Look for solitude, spend a lot of time alone

Jesse
12-01-2012, 01:17 AM
First I generally try to make certain that I am being truthful with myself about whatever it is that has me down in the dumps. After that, I'll write or talk it out with a close friend that I can talk to about most anything. If I am close to a good wooded trail, a river, or the ocean then I will walk and explore for hours.

WintergreenGem
12-01-2012, 02:35 AM
I put on upbeat music and I come chat and play with friends.

Bèsame*
12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Take the back roads home, have a concert in my car :)

agape
03-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Oh I usually lay there and take a nap ;)

VintageFemme
03-10-2013, 12:10 PM
I get lost in my camera. I'll go for a walk in the woods & forget everyone and everything that brought me down and just click it all away. And music. The songs that don't remind me of anyone or anything... the music that is just mine and mine alone. And a few pieces of Godiva chocolate just to be sure I'm back to good.

Glenn
03-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Watch old Walt Disney cartoons:blush:
Do Zen Calligraphy
Pray and fish at the lagoon in back of the writers Nelson Algren's and Simone de Beauvoir's enchanted love-cottage across the road with the furkids.
Go to Church.
Walk to the beach and float in the water.

Daktari
03-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Phone my sponsor
Go to a meeting
Have a luxurious, candle lit, hot bath
Play guitar and sing
Cycle miles

Gemme
03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Oh I usually lay there and take a nap ;)

This totally cracked me up.

I watch sweet/funny/fill in the blank here youtube videos.

grenade
03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I shop. A new outfit always makes me feel like a new person. I sing. I tell myself to keep moving forward. My babies need me.

Nerdboi
03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I try to make others smile, say hi to a random person in the airport, at the gas station, etc. When I make another person's day or cheer someone up is what pick's me up, motivating others. Rewarding myself with an awesome cup of coffee always does the trick or going out with friends.

Kenna
03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
spend time with certain people I really enjoy and hearing their laughter has a healing touch..

I try to find some outside activity in a peaceful setting where I breathe fresh air and find "treasures" that make me smile ...from birds singing to tiny frogs to beautiful simple touches of mother nature ..

I go through photos of special family members ...and favorite photos of my adventures in the past few years...

I talk to my best friend from PA.. she's amazing!

I go down memory lane of my times with Gramma D...

I cuddle and play with the sweetest dog in the world ..

I try hard not to focus on what's upsetting me so much...

peachy
03-11-2013, 05:41 AM
eat cake
cry
get tucked up in bed and read lesbian erotica (ahem)
have a really really long shower
play a running around game with my little girl at the park. Her laugh is infectious. Her beautiful beaming little face works pure magic on me.

Daktari
03-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Sing this:

SJUhlRoBL8M

Gemme
03-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Great.

Now how am I going to get THAT out of my head today?

Daktari
03-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Great.

Now how am I going to get THAT out of my head today?

Yer welcome! :chaplin:

All together now - Always look on the briiiight siiiide of life...doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-dee-dum

:raspberry:

cinnamongrrl
03-11-2013, 06:31 AM
I hike. The solitude helps me gain perspective...

StrongButch
03-11-2013, 06:46 AM
I go in search of angels to photograph.

Tuff Stuff
08-25-2015, 08:44 PM
I jump in my van and drive,drive,drive...for hours..just me,alone.

I like to make love,too...dance and make love..together,sometimes..I make her laugh..she makes me laugh.

I watch old movies on DVD...

I like to go out and have a good meal with my woman,me and her are great cooks btw.No cook night,just go out somewhere and have a big delicious dinner and a big delicious dessert afterwards..even if its KFC or some fast food..sitting in the van,talking,eating,watching the night life go on around us.We're mountain living people,so the city is a treat for her.

I have lots of hobbies,interests...cause I do get sad sometimes.But those things i typed above help me feel better.

Mormegil
09-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Well I tend to enjoy my depression. And yes Ive talked to my therapist about it lol. My therapist thinks Im Bipolar depressive. But being depressed is better than my mania phase which is anxiety , frustration and agitation.

BUT to answer the question...Music. Music calms the savage beast you know. And when Im down and I dont want to be , I listen to music. I used to go to the beach and walk down to where there were no people and just sit. But my hypervigilance is to active lately for that.

Spending time with my grandmother and brother can help to.

Contradictor
05-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Spend time with people who pick me up and make me laugh and feel alive
Sleep.
Get outside into nature
Remind myself of my acheivements
Have a bath
Put clothes on I feel good in
Tell someone who I know cares
(In no order)!

Buckaroo
05-09-2017, 09:17 PM
get in my car and crank the music and drive thru the country.

cathexis
05-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Take a nap with my cats.

girl_dee
05-10-2017, 03:33 AM
take pictures of something..

write

Gemme
05-10-2017, 04:29 AM
I have an elaborate pulley system that seems to do the job.

:blink:

Liam
05-10-2017, 04:31 AM
1. I make a list of the things for which I am grateful.
2. Spend some time outdoors, hanging out in nature.
3. Read
4. Go for a walk.

Bard
05-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Get out in nature with my camera and take pictures cuddle the girls or take them out to play

Kätzchen
05-10-2017, 10:43 AM
It's been a challenge being housebound and on bed rest, but a long time friend of mine came by, yesterday. She treated us to an afternoon in the sunshine, which always helps to get some fresh air. We slowly meandered through northwest neighborhoods, then stopped at McMenamins for a late afternoon lunch. Good food, good company, fun conversations, we had a really good time. So glad she came by. I was feeling down, but feel better now. : )

girl_dee
05-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Today Neil Diamond, the Bee Gees and Pink got my spirits back on track.

*Anya*
05-10-2017, 03:21 PM
I am glad that you had a nice day! Being out doors in tbe sunshine is the best!

My recent ex and I went to visit an old friend of hers and we went to McMenamins a couple of times! The beer and food was great! I think it used to be a school, wasn't it?

I loved Portland!

It made me smile to read this and remember what a great time we had.

It's been a challenge being housebound and on bed rest, but a long time friend of mine came by, yesterday. She treated us to an afternoon in the sunshine, which always helps to get some fresh air. We slowly meandered through northwest neighborhoods, then stopped at McMenamins for a late afternoon lunch. Good food, good company, fun conversations, we had a really good time. So glad she came by. I was feeling down, but feel better now. : )

Kätzchen
05-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Very nice, Anya :)

Maybe you dined at Kennedy School?

McMenamin brothers opened their first tavern (bar & grill) back in the early 80s. McMenamin's exist all over the greater metro area and their locations are very unusual in that most all of them occupy landmark historical properties, both here and in Washington (I think). They're also known for being the first brewers to legally use fruit in their breweries. Ruby's pale ale is an regional favorite, for sure.

I usually order a small Romaine Salad with grilled chicken and bacon, and a side order of garlic tater tots. It's more than enough to eat. I usually ask for a to-go box to take left overs home with me. :)

I am glad that you had a nice day! Being out doors in the sunshine is the best!

My recent ex and I went to visit an old friend of hers and we went to McMenamins a couple of times! The beer and food was great! I think it used to be a school, wasn't it?

I loved Portland!

It made me smile to read this and remember what a great time we had.

*Anya*
05-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Yes, I got them mixed up! If memory serves (ha!) I think we went to both places but it has been about 4 years now.

Regardless, your day sounds lovely!

Very nice, Anya :)

Maybe you dined at Kennedy School?

McMenamin brothers opened their first tavern (bar & grill) back in the early 80s. McMenamin's exist all over the greater metro area and their locations are very unusual in that most all of them occupy landmark historical properties, both here and in Washington (I think). They're also known for being the first brewers to legally use fruit in their breweries. Ruby's pale ale is an regional favorite, for sure.

I usually order a small Romaine Salad with grilled chicken and bacon, and a side order of garlic tater tots. It's more than enough to eat. I usually ask for a to-go box to take left overs home with me. :)

Kätzchen
05-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Thanks Anya, yesterday was just a very lovely day, as well as today. Surprise visits, hanging out with an long time friend, and the lovely weather we've had lately, is just the best medicine ever. :)

Yes, I got them mixed up! If memory serves (ha!) I think we went to both places but it has been about 4 years now.

Regardless, your day sounds lovely!

Logicaly
05-26-2017, 12:22 AM
I like to do a few different things to pick myself up, shopping is an easy go to, buying myself a new game or something to play that will take my mind off things. Music is good if I happen to be in a car, cause it always makes me feel better. Or going out to take photographs of nature really pick me up too.

IrishAmazon
05-26-2017, 05:27 AM
When it happens it has been building up, so I give it a day of permission, then I beat it back with a club and do something to shock it back I to that hiddy hole In the attic.

Glenn
05-26-2017, 05:54 AM
Deep prayer always helps me.

CherylNYC
05-29-2017, 12:40 PM
Riding my motorcycle is a great way to blow out the bad stuff. I also like to give money or food to a homeless person when I'm feeling down. It puts my own life in perspective.

Gemme
05-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Feeling and showing genuine appreciation for someone else always makes me feel good, no matter how 'low' or 'high' I'm currently feeling.

Gayandgray
05-30-2017, 10:05 AM
I'm sort of going through this now. I'm very hormonal but the doctor says it is normal and I just have to deal with it.... I'm not actually depressed but I'm feeling kinda "blue". All the rain makes it even worse! LOL!! :jester::jester:
Guess I need to put on rubber duck boots and go play in a puddle???

Gemme
05-30-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm sort of going through this now. I'm very hormonal but the doctor says it is normal and I just have to deal with it.... I'm not actually depressed but I'm feeling kinda "blue". All the rain makes it even worse! LOL!! :jester::jester:
Guess I need to put on rubber duck boots and go play in a puddle???

You know, my rain galoshes are children's boots and I get compliments on them all the time and wearing them makes me happy...brings out my inner child, I think. I say go get yourself a fun, colorful pair of boots to do all that splashing in!

Kätzchen
06-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Listen to Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It (Handbook Remix) by Handbook #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/handbook/tina-turner-whats-love-got-to-do-with-it-handbook-remix

akiza
06-02-2017, 04:08 PM
oh the question! i don't know hum normally i hear music,let go and cry or try to have positives thoughts but most of the time i wait for the darkness to pass in private

Tuff Stuff
10-27-2017, 07:17 AM
I think we all go through our down moments,its no big deal to cry when life has got you by the short and curlies,with a hundred pound weight on the ends.

Crying is a good thing.Knowing when and where is the big question.

I think the last time I cried was in February of this year.I was sick and scared for myself and my family.l felt better afterwards and thank the lord that I'm still here to enjoy life yet, and whatever she throws my way.

I like hugging when I feel down,too.

My favorite cat on my lap, farts,fur and all.

I try not to be alone if I'm feeling way down,flashbacks more than once have tried to kill me.

CherryWine
10-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Whenever I'm feeling down or stressed, I try to spend some alone time with Mother Nature - even if it's just a 30 minute walk through the woods. It helps every time.

Long drives through the countryside help, too.

ksrainbow
10-27-2017, 07:58 PM
I go for long walks near my home. It is a short destination, a few yards away. I have shared this comforting place for 35 yrs. There are pine trees, bushes and flowers. There are 3 small graveled roads that I have been walking and know each turn without looking. I have seen and heard how sacred this space is. I have come to know so many there.

When I take my walks there: I am overcome by how peaceful and soothing it is. I am honored to be walking with others who I truly know that I am there and I take a pause. Some I know very personally, some I have memories of. Some I do not know at all.

When I go for my long walks there...I do gaze downwards and say hello. Then I stop after my gaze and look up to the sky above and I give my gratitude and appreciation. My life has been blessed to walk in their honor and grace.

ks-

Gayandgray
10-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Come on here and read all the posts....:hangloose:

C0LLETTE
10-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Come on here and read all the posts....:hangloose:

I agree. I read some posts in here and they cheer me right the Hell up.

cathexis
10-28-2017, 01:13 AM
Listen to music (jazz, new wave, classic rock). Especially Pink Floyd.

Also come online to read and post.

girl_dee
10-28-2017, 05:01 AM
i usually distract myself- this place is a good one for that
talk to my Daddi
try to think of positive thoughts

Bèsame*
11-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Turn the music up. Dance, sing. It's a great distraction.

Kätzchen
11-05-2017, 04:32 PM
I focus on the things in life that bring me joy.....And I keep myself busy with activities to help me to not dwell too much on things in life that cause me to worry or feel down. Arts and crafts or reading a good book or hanging out with my BFF, helps a lot.

Kätzchen
08-10-2019, 12:18 PM
I like to watch videos concerning things like how to make a Tiny House (one guy used Roosevelt Elk racks for door handles, etc) or how to make a Tiny Tent House over at the YouTube channel called:

Living Big In A Tiny House (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoNTMWgGuXtGPLv9UeJZwBw)

Tiny House (video)
Y4YkNlpK7ps

Tiny Tent House(video)
qFWQFQielg0

Gráinne
08-10-2019, 01:09 PM
I play Diana Ross's "I'm Coming Out" (not literally; she means taking control of her life and reinventing herself). Such a positive song.

~ocean
08-10-2019, 09:52 PM
I get goofy with the dogs they always cheer me up.

easygoingfemme
08-11-2019, 05:25 AM
Depends on how far down.

If it's a little... some good music, a bike ride, talking with a friend, helping someone who has more struggle than I do, make plans for something fun that makes me happy.

This year I've learned that sometimes it's so deep down I just have to sit with it and feel it.