PDA

View Full Version : Happy Indigenous Peoples Day!

Corkey
10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Ok so this is my attempt at sticking it to the US governments lame day for the man who wiped out entire societies all in the name of his king and queen.
Do you celebrate or mourn for these people?
Your thought on this auspicious day.

Please as always be respectful to your neighbor.

Mr. Moon
10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I mourn for those killed, raped, ravaged and a multitude of other things. I think what still goes on in regards to this is the most horrible.

U.S.A. sure likes to think they are saviors of the oppressed. but forget that they are doing just that.

This thread could get quite radical...are we in the red zone?? LOL

But seriously, I find it awful.

-Mr. Moon

Ebon
10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
It's just like the USA to glorify a murderer and try to candy coat the bullshit that they did. They might as well have Hitler day as far as I'm concerned. I went to an event that some Native people threw in Boston when I lived there. It was called "Who was this Columbus guy anyway." I don't understand how people don't stop and think about all of the horrible things that he was responsible for.

Apocalipstic
10-10-2011, 04:17 PM
I changed all our work calendars to say Fall Bank Holiday.

Liam
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I do not celebrate today's federal holiday.

Corkey
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I mourn for those killed, raped, ravaged and a multitude of other things. I think what still goes on in regards to this is the most horrible.

U.S.A. sure likes to think they are saviors of the oppressed. but forget that they are doing just that.

This thread could get quite radical...are we in the red zone?? LOL

But seriously, I find it awful.

-Mr. Moon

No not in the red zone, I figured if people can't be respectful to each other here, then there really isn't any hope for the future.

Corkey
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
It's just like the USA to glorify a murderer and try to candy coat the bullshit that they did. They might as well have Hitler day as far as I'm concerned. I went to an event that some Native people threw in Boston when I lived there. It was called "Who was this Columbus guy anyway." I don't understand how people don't stop and think about all of the horrible things that he was responsible for.

I know, but this is something that has to happen, people need to hear it.

Abigail Crabby
10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I do not celebrate this day as a holiday - where the fuck did Columbus get off murdering the people who belonged here.

I celebrate the indigenous people of this land.....

Okiebug61
10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Shouldn't we add Andrew Jackson to the hit list?

Ebon
10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Shouldn't we add Andrew Jackson to the hit list?

I get what you're saying but I think the point was that columbus has a holiday after him on a federal level. It's just a big kick in the face to all of the true owners of this land.

Okiebug61
10-10-2011, 05:18 PM
I get what you're saying but I think the point was that columbus has a holiday after him on a federal level. It's just a big kick in the face to all of the true owners of this land.

Jackson has a $20.00 bill with his face on it that we have to look at every time one is handed to us.

Ebon
10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Jackson has a $20.00 bill with his face on it that we have to look at every time one is handed to us.

good point. Lol

Apocalipstic
10-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, and it's not Andrew Jackson day...even in Nashville where he is quite loved. :|

I really think so many people in the US believe what they were taught in school, and have no idea that Columbus did not share Thanksgiving on the Pinta with Pocahantas. No clue. Even what they were taught in US History or Social Studies, they remember nothing and really don't care.

However,

In so many cases when people learn what actually happened, so many of them are horrified and get why it should not be a Federal Holiday.

We did not celebrate Calumbus day in Argentina. We celebrated Dia de la Raza which was a celebration of diversity.

Corkey
10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
This isn't about Jackson, yes he did some crappy stuff, the man raped and pillaged and was well thought of, until he wasn't. The government didn't give him his own day for genocide unlike the killer from Spain. Our government to this day will not recognize that it is propagating lies about how this country was "found". It was "found" roughly 30-40 thousand years ago, but the white man didn't know of it so you know history wasn't history because europeans were clueless.

Apocalipstic
10-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Except for those people who just will not dare open their minds.

AtLast
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I do not celebrate today's federal holiday.

Me either- can't do it and I think it is impotant to ask kids in our families what they are taught about Columbus in school. Then re-educate them. Also, contact their school district. If there has to be some kind of "hero" designated about the "discovery" (which it already had been by natives) of the Americas, we need to have a red person designated. I know, I know, it's all about the European "discovery." The whole concept of discovery needs to thrown out.

Corkey
10-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Friday at 10PM "Children of the Planes" on ABC. I hope you all will watch.

foxyshaman
10-11-2011, 11:22 AM
The worst aspect of the Invasion of North America is the present day discrimination. Where I live the First nations people are generally Cree and Blackfoot. We do have some Inuit in my area of the province, but not many. I would like to see some moving forward of our thoughts and acceptance of our First Nations. I encourage understanding where I can and acceptance wherever I go.

Columbus came, went and died. The horrible legacy of invasion still haunts us. Soul loss of nations of diverse and beautiful people is still present. Depression and economically depressed reservations still exist. Horrible addictions and generational issues still exist. Healing is needed. Medicine Women and Men need to be supported to provide for their people.

It is the present day conditions that I am most horrified by.

Corkey
10-11-2011, 11:55 AM
The worst aspect of the Invasion of North America is the present day discrimination. Where I live the First nations people are generally Cree and Blackfoot. We do have some Inuit in my area of the province, but not many. I would like to see some moving forward of our thoughts and acceptance of our First Nations. I encourage understanding where I can and acceptance wherever I go.

Columbus came, went and died. The horrible legacy of invasion still haunts us. Soul loss of nations of diverse and beautiful people is still present. Depression and economically depressed reservations still exist. Horrible addictions and generational issues still exist. Healing is needed. Medicine Women and Men need to be supported to provide for their people.

It is the present day conditions that I am most horrified by.

There are several charitable organizations that are helping The People, in this present economy their need is even greater.

UofMfan
10-11-2011, 12:15 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/translator08/Indigenous_Imm.jpg

Okiebug61
10-12-2011, 02:41 PM
This isn't about Jackson, yes he did some crappy stuff, the man raped and pillaged and was well thought of, until he wasn't. The government didn't give him his own day for genocide unlike the killer from Spain. Our government to this day will not recognize that it is propagating lies about how this country was "found". It was "found" roughly 30-40 thousand years ago, but the white man didn't know of it so you know history wasn't history because europeans were clueless.

No they didn't give him a day they put him on our currency for all to see. I really do not see the difference over all, both are being celebrated which is not cool with me.

Corkey
10-12-2011, 02:43 PM
No they didn't give him a day they put him on our currency for all to see. I really do not see the difference over all, both are being celebrated which is not cool with me.

Using currency isn't the same as celebrating. Good grief, one is a must no matter the other is a friggen choice.

Okiebug61
10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Using currency isn't the same as celebrating. Good grief, one is a must no matter the other is a friggen choice.

What is a must? My bank was open on Columbus Day, our schools were open on Columbus day. I still can't get a $20.00 bill without Jackson's face on it. I didn't celebrate and I make a choice not to carry $20.00 bills.

If you are this upset about Columbus Day being a recognized federal holiday start a petition, I'll be glad to sign it.

Corkey
10-12-2011, 02:58 PM
What is a must? My bank was open on Columbus Day, our schools were open on Columbus day. I still can't get a $20.00 bill without Jackson's face on it. I didn't celebrate and I make a choice not to carry $20.00 bills.

If you are this upset about Columbus Day being a recognized federal holiday start a petition, I'll be glad to sign it.

If you want to talk about Jackson, start a thread about it and please stop hijacking this one.

Okiebug61
10-12-2011, 03:08 PM
If you want to talk about Jackson, start a thread about it and please stop hijacking this one.

Not a problem Corkey!

Corkey
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Again this thread is to celebrate Indigenous People. Thoughts on this subject are more than welcome.

Okiebug61
10-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Here you go!

http://newsfornatives.com/blog/national-native-holiday/

Corkey
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
First, where did this come from, and secondly it contains racial speech that is at best derogatory and at worst racist.

Okiebug61
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Letter to my Senator,

Dear Senator Inhofe,

I am writing to ask why we celebrate "Columbus Day" as a Federal Holiday?

There is overwhelming information that provides us a history of violence against the "Native Americans".

I ask you as my representative to please look into this and let me know why my tax dollars are used to provide you and all other Federal employees a payed day off.

Thank You,

Okiebug61
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
First, where did this come from, and secondly it contains racial speech that is at best derogatory and at worst racist.

I give up!

Corkey
10-12-2011, 03:54 PM
The letter to your senator, wonderful great, did you read the link you posted? The uplifting of one portion of society at the expense of another is not what this is about. It is about recognizing that an atrocity has happened, and that the federal government yearly places the killer from Spain as someone to be admired. He was a criminal, one who perpetrated genocide, not just on Native populations in the western continent but to the Native populations of the Caribbean Islands.

Okiebug61
10-12-2011, 04:03 PM
It's very apparent that you don't like me or what I bring to this conversation. So I am going to stop away. Good luck!

Apocalipstic
10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
It does not seem like its personal Okie.

The link you posted while asking for the holiday to be changed, does use a lot of racist language. If you would like examples PM me and I can send you some later.

There was a time in my life when I was not aware that many of the terms in that article are racist. Maybe read some of the racism threads on this website and watch some Tim Wise on YouTube and start learning what is acceptable. :)

It is a learning process. :)

SoNotHer
10-12-2011, 05:38 PM
One passage from Zinn's great work available online at

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinncol1.html

"In the villages of the Iroquois, land was owned in common and worked in common. Hunting was done together, and the catch was divided among the members of the village. Houses were considered common property and were shared by several families. The concept of private ownership of land and homes was foreign to the Iroquois. A French Jesuit priest who encountered them in the 1650s wrote: 'No poorhouses are needed among them, because they are neither mendicants nor paupers.. . . Their kindness, humanity and courtesy not only makes them liberal with what they have, but causes them to possess hardly anything except in common.

Women were important and respected in Iroquois society. Families were matrilineal. That is, the family line went down through the female members, whose husbands joined the family, while sons who married then joined their wives' families. Each extended family lived in a 'long house.' When a woman wanted a divorce, she set her husband's things outside the door."

Corkey
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
An excellent resource for people to read about the life of The People before the killer from Spain is a book called "1491" subtitled The revelations of the Americas before Columbus.

It is an archeological and sociological treatise on the populations of the Americas.

Ebon
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
One passage from Zinn's great work available online at

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinncol1.html

"In the villages of the Iroquois, land was owned in common and worked in common. Hunting was done together, and the catch was divided among the members of the village. Houses were considered common property and were shared by several families. The concept of private ownership of land and homes was foreign to the Iroquois. A French Jesuit priest who encountered them in the 1650s wrote: 'No poorhouses are needed among them, because they are neither mendicants nor paupers.. . . Their kindness, humanity and courtesy not only makes them liberal with what they have, but causes them to possess hardly anything except in common.

Women were important and respected in Iroquois society. Families were matrilineal. That is, the family line went down through the female members, whose husbands joined the family, while sons who married then joined their wives' families. Each extended family lived in a 'long house.' When a woman wanted a divorce, she set her husband's things outside the door."

I know women that sets (throws) her husbands things outside the door now but they don't get to have a divorce. Thanks for the info!

Ebon
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
An excellent resource for people to read about the life of The People before the killer from Spain is a book called "1491" subtitled The revelations of the Americas before Columbus.

It is an archeological and sociological treatise on the populations of the Americas.

This is wonderful! I can't wait to read it.

Corkey
10-12-2011, 07:10 PM
This is wonderful! I can't wait to read it.

Charles C Mann is the author.

SoNotHer
10-12-2011, 07:18 PM
I know women that sets (throws) her husbands things outside the door now but they don't get to have a divorce. Thanks for the info!

You know what I've been going through this this year, and you know I am laughing out loud now :-) Yes, the Iroquis understood that a physical gesture was called for in certain times. Hard to mistake the message of all your stuff sitting outside the door!

Corkey
10-12-2011, 07:21 PM
You know what I've been going through this this year, and you know I am laughing out loud now :-) Yes, the Iroquis understood that a physical gesture was called for in certain times. Hard to mistake the message of all your stuff sitting outside the door!

Nothing says I'm done more than a bear picking through your stuff LOL

SoNotHer
10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Nothing says I'm done more than a bear picking through your stuff LOL

Oh, my. I'm still laughing and my belly hurts.......................

;-))))))))))))

Hollylane
10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
http://theredphoenix.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/columbus1.gif

Corkey
10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/urban-outfitters-under-fire-for-navajo-collection-2582797/

So a white run company can ignore federal law.

SoNotHer
10-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Amazing young woman and great posting, Corkey.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/urban-outfitters-under-fire-for-navajo-collection-2582797/

So a white run company can ignore federal law.

SoNotHer
10-13-2011, 08:10 AM
I just saw the promo for this at the gym last night. I'll give ABC credit for spending four seasons filming this:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/hidden-america-children-plains-14708439

Corkey
10-13-2011, 11:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/reservation-childs-wish-fresh-water-bubble-gum-backpack-161715245.html

A child's wish from a President.

SoNotHer
10-14-2011, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE=Corkey;437137]http://news.yahoo.com/reservation-childs-wish-fresh-water-bubble-gum-backpack-161715245.html

Great article, Corkey. Thank you.

"Pine Ridge residents live amid poverty that rivals that of the third world. Forty-seven percent of the Pine Ridge population lives below the federal poverty level, 65 percent to 80 percent of the adults are unemployed, and rampant alcoholism and an obesity epidemic combine with underfunded schools to make it a rough place to grow up. Tashina lives in government housing in Manderson, 30 minutes north of downtown Pine Ridge. She lives with her grandmother, parents, siblings and uncles – sometimes up to 19 people live in the three-bedroom house, which has seen better days."

I know other folks in permaculture who have volunteered at Pine Ridge. I wanted to join a project this past summer but had to teach. The permies are working with the Oglala Lakota Sioux to set up green energy, water and soil/farm projects and create some sustainable structures.

Corkey
10-14-2011, 09:05 PM
The children made me cry, gave me hope, and are so strong.
I hope I can vote one day for Robert Two Looks, such a wise warrior already.

Corkey
10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/organizations-seek-donations-improve-life-pine-ridge/story?id=14729358

How to help.

SoNotHer
10-14-2011, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Corkey;437679]http://abcnews.go.com/US/organizations-seek-donations-improve-life-pine-ridge/story?id=14729358

Excellent list of schools and non profits at Pine Ridge Reservation for donations and contact. If anyone wants to do a permaculture or green building apprenticeship or donate to sustainability projects at Pine Ridge, here's a link to more information:

http://www.permacultureguild.us/apprenticeships-at-pine-ridge/

UofMfan
10-19-2011, 06:39 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/translator08/Anchorbabies.jpg