PDA

View Full Version : Queer couple thrown out of Tim Hortons, claiming “Family Friendly Environment”.

Peach
10-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Queer couple thrown out of Tim Hortons, claiming “Family Friendly Environment”.
.by Michelle Boyce on Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 8:06pm.Be careful where you hold hands in Blenheim when you’re Queer especially when the Rev. of Glad Tidings Church is present.

I am getting a little sick of “family friendly” that excludes my family, your family and anyone else’s family that doesn’t fit someone else’s mold. Some Trans people were getting together at a friend’s house tonight and they asked me to come over. The topic of conversation rapidly moved to Riley and Patricia’s storey of being tossed out of a Tim Horton’s because it was a “family friendly place”. Echoes of Ed Kikett and the issues at Trails End resonated in my brain as I listened to these folks stories.

Patricia and her gender queer partner Riley were sitting on the bench in front of Tim Horton’s with nine of their family members; which included mom, brother, cousin and various other relatives drinking coffee. Inside Tim Horton’s was the Rev. of Glad Tidings Church who felt in necessary to stare down the couple and their family. After speaking to the Rev., the manager of Tim Horton’s approached the couple and told them what they were doing was unacceptable and that Tim Horton’s was a “family friendly environment”. The couple looked at the manager with shock and hurt as they were there with their family. When asked what they had done to offend people, the Manager said they were touching, hand holding and making out – The later involved a single kiss the couple had shared in front of mom. The couple gave the standard response stating that heterosexual couples have done the same for all eternity, why was it wrong for this couple? To which the manager declared that the couple had five minutes to leave the property or else the Police would be called. To add insult to injury as the couple was leaving the Tim Horton’s parking lot the current assistant pastor Rev. Eric Revie chose that time to hold a prayer circle in the Tim Horton’s parking lot to pray for the couple’s souls. The Pastor was joined by 15+ citizens and the prayer circle was held in front of the couple’s family members.

Call Tim Hortons @ 79 Talbot Street West, Blenheim - (519) 676-1381 and let them know what you think of their version of “Family Friendly Environment”

Peach
10-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I work at Tim Hortons, this would never have happened at the store I work at. The manager apparently apologized, but it should never have happened. Another case of imposing ones religious views on others, and discrimination at its worst. :(

The_Lady_Snow
10-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Called the number where Brenda gave us another number to call it's:

905 339 5960

Alexandra Cygal <~ she's the one you ask for

Brenda was the woman I spoke with who gave this info..

Peach
10-24-2011, 03:51 PM
according to the Globe and Mail, Tim's has apologized to the couple, but the couple say its too little to late, and they will not go back, I wouldnt either!

Apocalipstic
10-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I wish all Revs. would talk about Jesus love for EVERYONE!

suebee
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
I would go back every damned day and hold hands, and pray for the PASTOR'S soul. It has to be said that Tim Horton's is a franchise, and the local owner may be the one that sets the tone for this kind of response. I have no stake in the company whatsoever, but I know that our local owner is an asshat and a bad corporate citizen. That's not necessarily the case for the company to my knowledge.

Sue

ETA: This kind of treatment would be in conflict with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. We'll see if anything more comes of this.

Rockinonahigh
10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
This isnt any diffrent than what happened in a local night club last month,a stright8 couple was holding hands,touching each other,even shared a peck on the cheek,what happened on the dance floor was just stand uo sex...no one said a word.Three months ago this couple a b-b couple who I have known for years were siting at there table holding hands even a peck on the cheek,they dances and nothing out of the way went on.The comedian came on stage to do his act wich was ok till he started gay bashing this couple in no uncertain terms,then some of the audience got into it wich made it worse..needless to say we all left..yes I was there and saw it all.The manager saw and herd what was going on and never did a thing.They called to lodge a complaint but were put on hold and never did get an anser from the manager.Yes,they were very upset but wont do anything about it cause the local lawyer they went to,who is queer as they come said u have to prove it,not have hear say.I have gone in that place a fue times and nobody has said a word to me about nothin,why I will never know.

betenoire
10-24-2011, 04:03 PM
It has to be said that Tim Horton's is a franchise, and the local owner may be the one that sets the tone for this kind of response. I have no stake in the company whatsoever, but I know that our local owner is an asshat and a bad corporate citizen. That's not necessarily the case for the company to my knowledge.

Right, exactly. It's not as though the manager at that individual Timmy's called up the head office and was like "hey, there are snuggling queers here! can I kick them out?"

To become an owner of a franchised location of anything all you have to do is be able to pony up the money.

So now you've got people all up in arms on social networking sites calling to boycott all Tim Horton's locations, hold "kiss-ins" across the country, etc. Blah blah blah. It doesn't sound like a useful reaction to the situation.

And besides - I don't want to have to see ANYBODY kiss anybody anywhere any time. So the idea of a kiss-in kinda mortifies me...and it'll just make us all look like douchebags.

The_Lady_Snow
10-24-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm shocked it's in Canada they seem so progressive! I hope they are compensated as for the sit ins it worked on Cracker Barrel! We threw our Timmy's out in disgust.

Cin
10-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Alexandra Cygal, manager of public affairs at Tim Hortons head office, says the couple "went beyond public displays of affection."

"Thank you so much for the opportunity to respond. We apologize if the two guests were offended by the misunderstanding that occurred at our Blenheim restaurant last month on behalf of the owners and management. It was not their intention. Tim Hortons and its restaurant owners have always welcomed all families and communities to their restaurants and will continue to do so. It was not the manager's intention to offend or target anyone based on their sexual orientation. The guests' behaviour went beyond public displays of affection and was making other guests feel uncomfortable. The management has apologized to Riley and Patricia and invite them back to their restaurant"

I am confused by the strange apology. If you are claiming the couple went beyond public displays of affection then why are you apologizing and inviting them back? I mean isn't an apology when you are sorry because YOU did something that is wrong? Or maybe what Tim Horton's head office means is that they are just sorry it happened and there is all this publicity to deal with?

And again, as with most of these incidents, the company apologizes yet defends the behavior of the manager, flight attendant, or other employee because the gay couple was engaging in over the top sexual behavior. The couple denies this. And on and on we go...

"The guests' behaviour went beyond public displays of affection and was making other guests feel uncomfortable." is almost word for word what the airline said about Leisha Hailey and her girlfriend.

Sometimes I get the idea that anything we do makes straight people uncomfortable. We can get married legally in Canada but apparently we can't touch each other in public.

Nat
10-24-2011, 05:18 PM
It's possible to leave a review of this specific location using google maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&gs_upl=0l0l1l1687l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=681&bih=509&wrapid=tlif131949804228110&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=tim+hortons+blenheim+ontario&fb=1&gl=us&hq=tim+hortons&hnear=0x882fe3758d576ec9:0x60881fad08e2f55e,Blenhe im,+ON,+Canada&cid=1754133853248080528&ei=VPGlTorZB9PAgQeCg_meBQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=placepage-link&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ4gkwAA).

kannon
10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I would go back every damned day and hold hands, and pray for the PASTOR'S soul. It has to be said that Tim Horton's is a franchise, and the local owner may be the one that sets the tone for this kind of response. I have no stake in the company whatsoever, but I know that our local owner is an asshat and a bad corporate citizen. That's not necessarily the case for the company to my knowledge.

Sue

ETA: This kind of treatment would be in conflict with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. We'll see if anything more comes of this.

A large group of gay folks should get together and attend the pastor's church.

Nat
10-24-2011, 05:32 PM
And if you'd like to leave a google maps review for the Glad Tidings church: you can do that here. (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=tim+hortons+blenheim+ontario&fb=1&gl=us&hq=tim+hortons&hnear=0x882fe3758d576ec9:0x60881fad08e2f55e,Blenhe im,+ON,+Canada&cid=1754133853248080528&action=openratings)

EnderD_503
10-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Yep, it conflicts entirely with the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, at least on the basis of sexual orientation. The problem trying to press charges in these cases is that you have to get it investigated by the Ontario Human Rights Commission, which usually takes a while. That and the fact that it really doesn't count for the "subtler" forms of homophobia that are a result of heteronormative ideas of "family friendly" still largely unchallenged legally.

It's a bit of a stupid system, really, since there rarely end up being consequences for businesses who discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation other than bad publicity in the media. Technically, Tim Horton's could face charges for the actions of this particular manager. It's too bad that this incident did not take place inside the restaurant instead of outside. Some Timmy's have cameras near their drive-thrus, but we'd have to know where the couple and their family/friends were actually sitting...although if they were sitting near the window like the article said a camera inside may have caught some it on camera. It would have been nice to see what video surveillance had to say about their supposedly "inappropriate behaviour." Something tells me that they were doing pretty much what they said...and I hate all these cases popping up where companies claiming queer couples act "inappropriate" fail to give any evidence or detail, but seem more concerned with the "offense" taken by conservative patrons. It would be nice if one of them could be caught on camera.

Like others have mentioned, I doubt this is a reflection of Tim Horton's actual policies, and more the reflection this particular Tim Horton's manager and of the town itself (other articles on the incident show Riley talking about how they are often stared at when they go into that Tim Horton's, but that no one ever said anything before).

I think protesting outside this Tim Horton's in particular makes sense for the benefit of the manager (should they remain employed there...hopefully not) and the folks who decided to have a "prayer circle" in the parking lot out of concern for the couples' "souls", but not outside Tim Horton's across the nation. This seems like a pretty local thing.

I also think action should be taken by Tim Horton's against this particular manager. Public pressure has gotten managers fired for similar cases before, it would be nice to see the manager face some consequences for their actions.

betenoire
10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I think protesting outside this Tim Horton's in particular makes sense for the benefit of the manager (should they remain employed there...hopefully not) and the folks who decided to have a "prayer circle" in the parking lot out of concern for the couples' "souls", but not outside Tim Horton's across the nation. This seems like a pretty local thing.

Agreed. I know the town where this went down, as it's not too far from where I'm currently living. It's a shitty little town full of shitty little people.

Sparx1_1
10-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Alexandra Cygal, manager of public affairs at Tim Hortons head office, says the couple "went beyond public displays of affection."

"Thank you so much for the opportunity to respond. We apologize if the two guests were offended by the misunderstanding that occurred at our Blenheim restaurant last month on behalf of the owners and management. It was not their intention. Tim Hortons and its restaurant owners have always welcomed all families and communities to their restaurants and will continue to do so. It was not the manager's intention to offend or target anyone based on their sexual orientation. The guests' behaviour went beyond public displays of affection and was making other guests feel uncomfortable. The management has apologized to Riley and Patricia and invite them back to their restaurant"

We can get married legally in Canada but apparently we can't touch each other in public.

This is a standard response. If the company says they fucked up they are opening themselves for a huge lawsuit. They aren't going to admit to anything that would make them legally liable for the actions of a Franchisee.
Behind closed doors is another matter. You can bet that queer couples will not have a problem at that location ever again and that the franchise owner is now VERY aware of Tim Hortons policies when it comes to same sex couples.

I am married and my wife and I go to Timmies and we have never once felt like we could not act like a couple there. This is a problem of that location and that Franchise owner - not the chain as a whole.

betenoire
10-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Agreed. I know the town where this went down, as it's not too far from where I'm currently living. It's a shitty little town full of shitty little people.

ETA. The town has a population of less than 4,800. And a religious breakdown that looks like this:

Protestant: 59.0%
Catholic: 26.1%
Other Christian: 3.6%
Other religions: 0%
No religious affiliation: 11.2%

Because Canada is so huge (we're the 2nd largest country in the world, by land mass) but has such a relatively small population (34.6 million approx, population density of around 3.5 per square km) we have a lot of tiny towns like this. Mostly with an aging, white, protestant, anglophone population. This is the sort of shit you run into in these towns. It's unfortunate, but that's the nature of the beast when it lives in relative isolation from people who aren't like them.

Ebon
10-24-2011, 07:29 PM
It clearly states in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin...

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)

and . . .

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

So it must be true.

Sparx1_1
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
ETA. The town has a population of less than 4,800. And a religious breakdown that looks like this:

Protestant: 59.0%
Catholic: 26.1%
Other Christian: 3.6%
Other religions: 0%
No religious affiliation: 11.2%

Because Canada is so huge (we're the 2nd largest country in the world, by land mass) but has such a relatively small population (34.6 million approx, population density of around 3.5 per square km) we have a lot of tiny towns like this. Mostly with an aging, white, protestant, anglophone population. This is the sort of shit you run into in these towns. It's unfortunate, but that's the nature of the beast when it lives in relative isolation from people who aren't like them.

Let's not forget, of that number, about 90% have a heave Amish and/ Mennonite background. This is an ULTRA conservative area.

Morgan
03-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Once again.....

Lesbian couple gets an apology and free drinks after being booted from Arizona restaurant

Kenyata White and Aeimee Diaz were celebrating their anniversary at the American Kitchen & Wine Bar (http://www.facebook.com/pages/District-American-Kitchen-Wine-Bar/148490328503363) in downtown Phoenix this week when they were suddenly asked to leave the restaurant for "inappropriate behavior." But after an uproar on Facebook and other social media sites, the lesbian couple has been welcomed back with open arms -- and free drinks

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/lesbian-couple-gets-apology-free-drinks-being-booted-184013722.html (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/lesbian-couple-gets-apology-free-drinks-being-booted-184013722.html)

apretty
03-01-2012, 10:11 PM
az is such a shitty state--i'm not even joking, i saw a guy jogging with a gun in a holster over his running shorts.

apretty
03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Yelp community is talking about the incident: http://www.yelp.com/biz/district-american-kitchen-and-wine-bar-phoenix-2

Facebook conversation: https://www.facebook.com/pages/District-American-Kitchen-Wine-Bar/148490328503363?sk=wall&filter=12

I prefer Yelp, facebook is so full of bigots that it's disheartening.

*Anya*
03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
It clearly states in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin...

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)

and . . .

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

So it must be true.

Since the bible says nothing about lesbians, we're cool, right?

Ebon
03-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Since the bible says nothing about lesbians, we're cool, right?

That is correct. Lesbians are ok and in the clear.