PDA

View Full Version : My Transsexual Summer

EnderD_503
11-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I've just started to hear folks rave about this new show recently. I've heard some bad reviews and good reviews, and currently DLing the first episode to check it out. Curious if anyone around here has watched it at all yet, and, if so, what they think of it.

Admittedly, I'm a little skeptical. Especially since lately it feels like the media spotlight is on trans folks. I can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing. It all just seems really sensationalist, like we're the new "circus freaks" in town or something.

EnderD_503
11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Just watched the first episode and I actually quite liked it. There was some stuff that kind of made me cringe, but overall it's a pretty good representation. From what I gather, some of the folks are involved in advocacy over in the UK, so it's kind of cool to see them on the show.

If anyone is interested in watching it it's available over at Pirate Bay. Haven't seen any online streams available yet.

EnderD_503
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I just watched the second episode of My Transsexual Summer and I'm still feeling pretty good about this show. I like that they show more of a diversity of how trans people interact with and perceive their own bodies, instead of sticking to the usual stereotypes about transition and surgery, "men must have penises, women must have vaginas" mentality. I really hope that they eventually let Donna talk more about her gender, since she's the only one to have expressed not feeling like she fits in the gender binary and she's quite openly proud to be trans.

Anyways, I still recommend this to everyone if you haven't already watched it! Now both episodes are available on Pirate Bay.

Words
11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I've watched both episodes here in the UK and think it's great. And yes, I also like the fact that Donna is perfectly happy 'as is' and isn't afraid to let it show.

Words

EnderD_503
11-16-2011, 01:51 PM
I've watched both episodes here in the UK and think it's great. And yes, I also like the fact that Donna is perfectly happy 'as is' and isn't afraid to let it show.

Words

Yay! Someone else who's been watching it! :D

Donna really comes off as a confident and outstanding person, imo. It seems that she's also having a positive influence on Drew and making her more confident in herself when she goes out in public. I couldn't believe those bridal shop employers saying what they did about her during the interview. I guess that's the Canadian part of me that expects that most people at least try to hide their prejudicial behaviour on national television, lol.

Then again, as much as a lot of people commenting on the show were outraged by these women who treated Drew that way, it's good that the show included their opinions. If they are going to show an accurate representation, then it's important that they demonstrate these challenges and popular opinions/behaviours that trans people have to face every day.

SugarFemme
11-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I went to the shows website to watch it and it's free and legal LOL. Heres the link: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

ETA: That particular show did not work for me:(. I was able to watch entire episode youtube:)

EnderD_503
11-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I went to the shows website to watch it and it's free and legal LOL. Heres the link: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

ETA: That particular show did not work for me:(. I was able to watch entire episode youtube:)

Yeah, I tried to watch it on the Channel 4 site when I first heard of the show, but it didn't work for me. I don't think it works for people outside the UK, which is unfortunate. That's why I've been mentioning that it's available on Pirate Bay since there doesn't seem to be a "legal" alternative for those living outside of the UK.

I tried looking around youtube just now so that maybe people can just get the direct link to watch it, but seems it's been taken down. Do you have the link to the vid you saw there? Safest bet might just be Pirate Bay, though, since it won't be taken down. For those who don't have it, just download m torrent then do a search on PB, both episodes are there.