PDA

View Full Version : Alone for the Holidays

SoNotHer
11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
If there is anyone else out there alone during the holidays, let me know if you would like to share some posts or a conference call or a cyber arcade game or two. This isn't the first holiday I've spent with my fur babies, but it is the first I've spent in great company on the Planet. I just thought I'd see if there was interest in directly connecting with other folks who are riding it out alone.

http://navaatlasveganrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/1996/11/winter-squashes-300x200.jpg

Rockinonahigh
11-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Its gonna be my son and me pluss my fur child,why not touch base some how.

Cowboi
11-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Im am on call Thanksgiving day. I will just hang out here, watch some movies, go to the gym. Give me a shout.

SoNotHer
11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Thank you both. Let's get connected next week.

Cowboi
11-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Thank you both. Let's get connected next week.

Sounds like a plan!!

SoNotHer
11-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Other than watching the Macy's Parade, and making the furry ones dress up like squash and assorted cornucopia vegetables, I'm around. :-)

Looking forward to it.

:thanksgiving::thanksgiving::thanksgiving:

Sounds like a plan!!

Cowboi
11-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Other than watching the Macy's Parade, and making the furry ones dress up like squash and assorted cornucopia vegetables, I'm around. :-)

Looking forward to it.

:thanksgiving::thanksgiving::thanksgiving:

LoL Glad Im not a fur baby @ your house!!!

WolfyOne
11-15-2011, 05:52 PM
I got an invite from a neighbor and someone that works for the same company as me, to come across the road for an early meal. We both have to be at our stores at 11:45pm for Black Friday. I wanted to go away for Thanksgiving and share a meal with friends I consider family, but with this dang job, it wasn't going to happen. I thought for sure, it was just going to be me and my rescues. Really though, except for the meal I'll share, it will just be me and them. Outside of work, I spend so much time alone, I don't pay a lot of attention to holidays anymore. They just seem to be another day in any given month. I'm kind of isolated where I'm living at the moment, so...I'll be around here, if anyone needs a friendly poster or post.

Let's not forget that some of us will be watching football....even if we go nowhere, football is a tradition, oh yes it is :)

starryeyes
11-15-2011, 06:25 PM
This will be the first year in my 29 years that I will not be with any family on Thanksgiving. They all decided to go to Lake Tahoe for the week, and I have to work, so I opted out. I am not sure what I am going too. I might have an orphan Thanksgiving at my house, or I might just veg out. It kinda sucks tho!!

SoNotHer
11-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Hey, those babies have to work a little for that great T-day meal they're going to get!

I hear you Starry Eyes. My family didn't decide to plan a get together until last weekend and after I could really make arrangements to travel to see them a good 12 hours away.

LoL Glad Im not a fur baby @ your house!!!

tapu
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Do you think I could hook my father up with you guys for a conference call? Just kidding, but he's coming to stay with me for SEVEN FULL DAYS. I have no TV, no car I'd let him drive in the city, and nothing to do with him, day in and day out. I really wish I could set him up with some people--he's a lot of fun. For others. :rolleyes:

I hope you all have a nice holiday wherever you are. Hooking up people here is a great idea, Sonot. I think I'm going to haul Dad down to Chinatown for dim sum. He'll freak, but it's our tradition of 10 years so....

VintageFemme
11-15-2011, 07:27 PM
my sister in tuscaloosa, alabama may be alone for thanksgiving as well as christmas and that breaks my heart. if anyone is near there and would like to 'adopt' her on either of those days :) could you pm me please? love.

SoNotHer
11-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Dim sum - that reminds me of one of the great scenes in A Christmas Story (the Chinese, the duck, the cleaver, etc.) Seven days with Dad? Oh are you going to get to know each other. Better get those board games dusted off and ready. :-)

Thank you for the post, T, and sure I'll hook dad up with the conference call. :phonegab:

Do you think I could hook my father up with you guys for a conference call? Just kidding, but he's coming to stay with me for SEVEN FULL DAYS. I have no TV, no car I'd let him drive in the city, and nothing to do with him, day in and day out. I really wish I could set him up with some people--he's a lot of fun. For others. :rolleyes:

I hope you all have a nice holiday wherever you are. Hooking up people here is a great idea, Sonot. I think I'm going to haul Dad down to Chinatown for dim sum. He'll freak, but it's our tradition of 10 years so....

tapu
11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
omg board games. maybe i'll do that. i'll be banging my head on the table but he'll sure enjoy them. i'll let him win.

:)

SugarFemme
11-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Just a thought...for those of us with Skype or Yahoo Voice, we could get together in a room and do voice chat, karaoke, play a game etc. Hearing each others real voices would be real cool.:hangloose:

If there is anyone else out there alone during the holidays, let me know if you would like to share some posts or a conference call or a cyber arcade game or two. This isn't the first holiday I've spent with my fur babies, but it is the first I've spent in great company on the Planet. I just thought I'd see if there was interest in directly connecting with other folks who are riding it out alone.

http://navaatlasveganrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/1996/11/winter-squashes-300x200.jpg

Scuba
11-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Just an FYI for anyone interested...

1st Annual Misfits Holiday Season Gathering - If you have no where to go this year (or just want to hang out and chill before facing family) contact me and come spend some time here in Wenatchee, Wa (Central Washington State). There will a warm fire going and plenty of food, drink, XBOXing, skiing (Mission Ridge), snowtubing (Leavenworth) and other activities happening. The fun starts December 23rd and continues through December 26th.

Cheers!!

KimbaYLRF
11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
I have chosen to work. I work 12p-830p Tues-Sat every week. Normally we would go to my sister's but my mom and older sis will be in VA for a cousin's wedding and my younger sis has to work as well, so I figured might as well get double time and a half for working.

cara
11-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I am trying to go into this holiday season without dreading it. This time of year is always rough for me. I am lucky that my parents live about 1.5 hours away. IWe will be having a low-key Thanksgiving and Christmas this year since my dad's been so sick. I will probably be around here quite a bit. I'll say hi! :)

:hk1:

Hollylane
11-16-2011, 12:37 AM
I will be spending my first set of holidays alone in at least 15 years. I have been dreading it. This thread is a good idea, I just don't know if I'll be full of holiday cheer. I'm feeling pretty bleak about it.

I've been seeking/looking into a few ideas for volunteering on the holidays. I'm hoping that helping someone else have a good holiday will make it more enjoyable for me.

SugarFemme
11-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Organizations that feed the poor get SWAMPED on the holidays. They would welcome any and all help they could get on the holidays. Not only will you be, "paying it forward" and helping someone else, but it will give you company and be good for your soul.

I will be spending my first set of holidays alone in at least 15 years. I have been dreading it. This thread is a good idea, I just don't know if I'll be full of holiday cheer. I'm feeling pretty bleak about it.

I've been seeking/looking into a few ideas for volunteering on the holidays. I'm hoping that helping someone else have a good holiday will make it more enjoyable for me.

SoNotHer
11-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Snow tubing? Wow.... I'm sorry I'm not there for that. :-)

Just an FYI for anyone interested...

1st Annual Misfits Holiday Season Gathering - If you have no where to go this year (or just want to hang out and chill before facing family) contact me and come spend some time here in Wenatchee, Wa (Central Washington State). There will a warm fire going and plenty of food, drink, XBOXing, skiing (Mission Ridge), snowtubing (Leavenworth) and other activities happening. The fun starts December 23rd and continues through December 26th.

Cheers!!

SoNotHer
11-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Great idea! Wouldn't that be fun! :-)

Just a thought...for those of us with Skype or Yahoo Voice, we could get together in a room and do voice chat, karaoke, play a game etc. Hearing each others real voices would be real cool.:hangloose:

Toughy
11-16-2011, 01:31 AM
I will be doing a dog sitting gig in Vallejo, but on T-day will come back to my house for the whole turkey dressing etc with Isa and Hawk (housemates and family of choice). But that will be just a couple of hours.

I think hanging out in the Planet's chat room would be good. That way any other orphans would have folks to chat with also.........

edited to ad: someone could at least keep a window open in chat and invite anyone else to hang with Skype/Yahoo if you wanted too.......shrug....

SoNotHer
11-16-2011, 01:36 AM
I've done that in the past, and it's a good thing. I hope you find something good, and please join us if you don't.

Cheer? Who said anything about cheer? ;-)

Scuba
11-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Hi Hollylane...I have also decided to do some volunteering over Thanksgiving...in the true spirit of the holiday :) There are plenty of places that would love to have you help out!

SoNotHer
11-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Toughy, that's a great idea accessing the chat room and opening up to a call.

I will be doing a dog sitting gig in Vallejo, but on T-day will come back to my house for the whole turkey dressing etc with Isa and Hawk (housemates and family of choice). But that will be just a couple of hours.

I think hanging out in the Planet's chat room would be good. That way any other orphans would have folks to chat with also.........

edited to ad: someone could at least keep a window open in chat and invite anyone else to hang with Skype/Yahoo if you wanted too.......shrug....

dykeumentary
11-16-2011, 10:05 AM
i only have my phone.
No chat room for me.
Eldercare is kind of like a holiday every day-- food, naps, card games, not going anywhere, talking about the good old days. :tea:

SoNotHer
11-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Let's touch base before Thanksgiving. :-)

Rockinonahigh
11-19-2011, 08:08 PM
No chat for me,it goes to fast.

SoNotHer
11-21-2011, 03:18 AM
I hear you, Rockinahigh. Maybe some of us can post a "hello" here for those who don't want to chat or talk or are working.

barnes
11-21-2011, 04:01 AM
ill be home alone ima cook turkey dinner anyway for me and my girls.going thru a ruff time thou down a tad,id love some chat company ! last year i worked a soup kitchen,i had worked there a year but i worked a 12 hour day that day ! it was nice ! i suggest it if u have never done it !

SoNotHer
11-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I will be volunteering tomorrow afternoon as a greeter at a free community dinner, but I will check in tomorrow morning and evening and see who's around.

I hope it's a wonderful day, and I look forward to saying "hello" to folks tomorrow and seeing how your day is going. :-)

http://curiousanimals.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/thanksgiving-t-shirt.jpg

ruffryder
11-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Happy thanksgiving everybody!

I'll be going to a thanksgiving lunch buffet with a friend tomorrow for some traditional foods and watching football. I will be around the Planet I'm sure.

clay
11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey SoNot....this is an awesome thread.,..thanks for starting it!
I will be alone with my lil red dachshund. Since I am without cable..I will have only internet!
So, I would love to hang out with some cool peeps tomorrow....smiles....
Happy Thanksgiving to you all...hugs and kisses...Clay

SoNotHer
11-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Well, how did you all do today? I hope you found something to make you smile. Maybe this'll make you smile as well. Sometimes there are worse things than being alone on a holiday!

SNH

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aB_ZNr02KS4/SSQeZGWrkqI/AAAAAAAAAUM/GvpQoJq0S8Y/s400/funny-turkey-prozac-joke.jpg

AtLast
11-24-2011, 10:46 PM
I spent today with my dog at a nursing home. He is a "visitor" dog. This feels good, but I do miss some of the traditional things about the holidays of past.

For Christmas, I will probably some other kind of volunteer activity- as soon as my dog is all the way through training and fully certified, I can take him to children's hospitals. But not this year.

I would be interested in doing a conference call with folks from the Planet on Christmas day- LOL, someone will have to tell me how the do do one, but, it would be fun to yak with some folks from here!!

Rockinonahigh
11-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Hey all,how r u doing?Today I had some unexpected company that over stayed theire wellcome,corse I was a nice peron while they were hear.I watched the Macys parade like I do every year,took a nap,palyed with the fur kid.My son spent the day playing internet games..I have no ideal how any body can sit in one place that long,cant do it.

mustangjeano
11-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Happy Turkey Day to all
I went across the street to my favorite neighbor's home. They always invite me and I feel like family there. So I pigged out, visited with several people and headed home to watch the 49ers game. The dog and I fell asleep in the recliner. Just thought I'de check in here and say hi.

Jeano

SoNotHer
11-24-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm glad folks found some good stuff to get into today, and thank you for stopping by. Here's to faraway friends and family on the holidays, even if we prefer them that way. :groucho: lol

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gJWRmoIG4U0/TO66glnJqOI/AAAAAAAAAC4/zUYPQGQnmLs/s1600/Funny+Thanksgiving+Ecard%253A+This+Thanksgiving%25 2C+cherish+the+time+spent+with+your+family+as+a+re minder+of+why+you+moved+very+far+away+from+your+fa mily.jpeg

ruffryder
12-03-2011, 09:56 PM
May be away from my family for xmas too. I don't know yet. I guess that's the price I pay for moving away and trying to find my happiness and life. My daughter wants me to come see her but have to see if time and finances allows and when. I know I want to see her again soon and I will as soon as I can. If it's not for xmas we will have our own little xmas when it happens.

SoNotHer
12-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, RR, and yeah, I hear you about relocating. Not really sure whether or not I'll be traveling to see folks this year. I hope you're able to find a way to see your daughter.

May be away from my family for xmas too. I don't know yet. I guess that's the price I pay for moving away and trying to find my happiness and life. My daughter wants me to come see her but have to see if time and finances allows and when. I know I want to see her again soon and I will as soon as I can. If it's not for xmas we will have our own little xmas when it happens.

Jesse
12-23-2016, 01:08 PM
BUMPING this thread for those of us who are without family, or nearby loved ones for the holidays. It always seems a little harder for me not having family when the holidays approach. I always muster through, but it's nice to have someone to hang out with for a bit when everyone else is spending time with family.

So, if you find yourself alone during the holidays, or just have some free time, drop by, say hello, sit for a spell. I will be around, as I'm sure others will be likewise. :cc:

Chad
12-23-2016, 01:34 PM
I am not completely alone but I do feel lonely. I will see my mom on Christmas Day but that is it. I saw the kids last weekend and dropped off gifts.

I did not decorate my home for the holidays because it seemed like too much work for just me and the baby kitty.

It all just seems a little sad to me.

Venus007
12-23-2016, 02:03 PM
I wish I were alone for the holiday so that I could do exactly what I want which is nothing except have some sort of marvelous movie marathon and cook something lovely for myself and perhaps read or paint.

Instead I have to juggle people and responsibilities and appear "Holiday Appropriate" instead of the very anti "Christmas Spirit" way I actually feel.

Putting on a fake veneer of cheer is so much work but it is still better than acting how I feel and having to defend it.

Only 3 more days

Genesis
12-23-2016, 04:10 PM
This year I feel like the holidays just came out of nowhere...
it does not feel like Christmas to me...
This time of the year is a bit of a conundrum for me. Having lost my partner over a year and a half ago and having a family that loves me in their own way.

I am grateful for my close friends who love me like family.
Yet, part of me feels alone.... I will be surrounded with loving people
who truly love and care for me....

Sending love and warm holiday wishes to each of you...

WickedFemme
12-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I'm alone. Bobbi is in Canada - we couldn't afford to travel this year because we just laid out money for immigration lawyer and fees to the feds.
My family of origin is on the East Coast and I just started a new job not even a year ago.
I made some life changes that have required me to change where I go and who I hang with and that is all good.
So, I splurged and bought prime rib. I cooked have of it tonight and am home alone with my little dog, my bestest friend, watching Sons of Anarchy. I made some cookies for a co-workers husband who dropped off some free wood at my place up north. I started getting back into my artwork and that helps too.
Well, that's about it. I don't feel self-pity, but some things hurt sometimes. People who I thought were friends have their own set of priorities. I am not one to invite myself or go somewhere that I feel unwanted.
I will drive back up north for work on Sunday morning, drop off cookies, and make another quick stop on the way. Monday, I am joining co-workers for ice skating - I made cookies for the kids. So, even though things are way different and weird, I am doing okay.
I am grateful to be employed, have a wife who adores me, a roof over my head, new friends,and enough money to eat yummy food. Sometimes the loneliness is overwhelming, but it passes eventually.
Happy holidays everyone! If you are alone, that awful feeling in the pit of your stomach will pass.

JDeere
01-01-2017, 02:11 AM
Just know that if any of yall ever need an ear to talk, I am a message away. I can understand the lonely feeling and the anti Christmas sentiments as well.

Mel C.
01-01-2017, 03:03 AM
Cheers to New Years!

Slow breath
01-05-2017, 11:12 PM
To fight the alone feelings over the holidays I try to travel every year. I don't have family and in the past had partners who didn't either. Always an emotional time of year. I am grateful for the privilege to be able to travel. You can easily forget it is a holiday when on a holiday. I usually host a big holiday party for friends then get out of town. The past few years was Vegas, wish it were a bit warmer there. But easy to do solo. Cruising is great, just don't know how I'd fair Solo on a cruise. Caribbean is also a fave to escape early winters. Maybe a B-F holiday event is in order!