PDA

View Full Version : Open Mouth. Insert Foot.

Kobi
02-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Sometimes, I see stuff in the news that makes me realize how old habits and beliefs still linger in the minds of us imperfect mortals. So, I thought it might be interesting to start a thread for those comments hitting the news that make us go "huh?" or "did they really say that?" kind of stuff.

Today I found this:

New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs ripped Gisele Bundchen on Tuesday for comments the supermodel made defending her husband, NE Patriot quarterback Tom Brady, after Super Bowl XLVI. "She just needs to continue to be cute and shut up," the victorious Jacobs told reporters at the Giants championship parade in Manhattan. :|

Teammate Osi Umenyiora, perhaps attempting to try and be more diplomatic, added..... "I mean she's supposed to stay out of things like that," said the Giants defensive end."But at the end of the day that's their relationship and she has the right to say whatever she wants to." :blink:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/brandon-jacobs-tells-gisele-bundchen-shut-170639760.html

Kobi
02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Hugh Hefner is holding hope things will work out after his son Marston Hefner was arrested for investigation of domestic violence on his live-in Playmate girlfriend Claire Sinclair.

"If they care about each other, they'll patch it up," the Playboy founder tells PEOPLE.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20570052,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+people%2Fheadlines+%28PEOPLE. com%3A+Top+Headlines%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

girl_dee
02-14-2012, 07:02 AM
And what ticks me off about the Tom Brady -Giselle thing is that had that been the other way around, Tom would have been expected to defend his wife . I don't know if he needed defending or what the deal was but from what i understand the media was pressuring Tom Brady to answer on why they lost the Super Bowl, but those details don't make a difference to me.

For Hell's sake don't let the women speak out when they want to.

and PATCH it up, I'm sorry but once you have shown what you are capable of (domestic violence) you're done in my book. You either have it in your character to do that sort of crap, or you don't.

Cin
02-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Women in the Military Should Expect to Get Raped (http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/fox-pundit-women-military-should-expect-get-raped-video)

For someone who's so pro-war, commentator Liz Trotta sure has trouble figuring out who the enemy is. On Fox News over the weekend, she belittled proponents of women in combat and derided "feminists" who complain that uniformed ladies "are now being raped too much" by male soldiers. As evidence, she cited a recent DOD report that assaults on women had risen 64 percent in the past six years. "Now, what did they expect? These people are in close contact," she told anchor Eric Shawn.

Did Trotta just suggest that women who defend this country should expect to get raped as a matter of course, as routinely as wearing a uniform and getting up early? Yes.

Did Trotta just suggest that men who defend this country are monsters who can't stop themselves from raping women in close proximity, and shouldn't be expected to? Yes.

SHAWN: Well, many would say that they need to be protected, and there are these sexual programs, abuse programs, are necessary—

TROTTA: That's funny, I thought the mission of the Army, and the Navy, and four services was to defend and protect us, not the people who were fighting the war.

SHAWN: Well, you certainly want the people fighting the war to be protected from anything that could be illegal.

TROTTA: Oh, look, I mean, that's—nice try Eric. This whole question of women in the military has not been aired properly, and it's the great sleeping giant.

Kobi
02-14-2012, 09:14 AM
..... she belittled proponents of women in combat and derided "feminists" who complain that uniformed ladies "are now being raped too much" by male soldiers....

Trotta is implying there is an acceptable vs excessive amount of rape?

I'm gonna need more coffee for this.

Daktari
02-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Uncle Bulgaria:"You look great in those trousers darlin, I've not seen you in those before." *kotc and sits on end of bed*

Madame Cholet: *turns to show UB her lovely bum and how well the trousers fit*

Uncle Bulgaria: "Schexy fekker aintcha, where did you get them, Tesco?" (major UK supermarket)

Madame Cholet: *gives a look that could freeze hell over* "No Dar-ling, they're Armani!"

Uncle Bulgaria: *opens mouth and changes feet*

Cin
02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Trotta is implying there is an acceptable vs excessive amount of rape?

I'm gonna need more coffee for this.

Apparently.
It would be interesting to know what the parameters are.

I guess it wouldn't matter. You know how it is, give 'em an inch and all. There are always people who are going to take advantage.

Coffee is not going to cut it.

Cin
02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
More on acceptable and excessive raping.

Trotta then noted that the budget of the Defense Department’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office increased from $5 million in 2005 to more than $23 million in 2010.

“So, you have this whole bureaucracy upon bureaucracy being built up with all kinds of levels of people to support women in the military who are now being raped too much,” Trotta remarked. Story (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/13/fox-contributor-on-women-raped-in-the-military-what-did-they-expect/)

Apparently if they would just be raped less we wouldn't have to spend money supporting them. Interestingly enough Trotta still seems to be blaming female soldiers for getting raped excessively. Even that is the women's fault.

I'm still trying to figure out just what amount of rape is not too much.

Gemme
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Trotta then noted that the budget of the Defense Department’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office increased from $5 million in 2005 to more than $23 million in 2010.

“So, you have this whole bureaucracy upon bureaucracy being built up with all kinds of levels of people to support women in the military who are now being raped too much,” Trotta remarked. Story (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/13/fox-contributor-on-women-raped-in-the-military-what-did-they-expect/)

Apparently if they would just be raped less we wouldn't have to spend money supporting them. Interestingly enough Trotta still seems to be blaming female soldiers for getting raped excessively. Even that is the women's fault.

OMG.

This woman.

Just five....no, eight minutes alone in a room with her.

That's all I ask.

She's certifiable.

Kobi
02-14-2012, 10:32 PM

I think I have decifered Trottalogics. According to Trottalogics the "64% increase in violent sexual assaults in the military" is due to:

1. too many "feminist warriors wanting to be victims" in too close a proximity to potential perpetrators

2. potential perpetrators have "discovered there is a difference between men and women"

The outcome of number 1 and 2 is a 450% increase, in a 5 year period, in cost/bureaucracy in the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office which probably needs to lose the Prevention part of its name.

Thus, the acceptable vs excessive rates of rates, in Trottalogics, would be the 2005 vs the 2010 rates.

Apparently, this can be accomplished by keeping feminists out of range of erect penises. :|
It's just a logistical problem.

Cin
02-16-2012, 08:54 AM
[COLOR="Navy"]

Sometimes, I see stuff in the news that makes me realize how old habits and beliefs still linger in the minds of us imperfect mortals. So, I thought it might be interesting to start a thread for those comments hitting the news that make us go "huh?" or "did they really say that?" kind of stuff.

Personally I don’t think there should be a statute of limitations on "did they really say that" and in this case did they really do that?

Happy Savages (http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/02/15-9)

Castle Bravo was a 15-megaton hydrogen bomb blast, the largest U.S. test ever, detonated over Bikini Atoll on March 1, 1954.

Rongelap was heavily contaminated by the Castle Bravo blast. The official explanation is that the wind suddenly shifted. Many of the islanders believe that the wind direction was known and the blast occurred anyway. The U.S. Navy waited several days before evacuating the island.

In 1957, the Rongelapese were told their island was safe again — a blatant untruth — and were transported back to their ancestral home, where they proceeded to die of cancer and give birth to large numbers of stillborn, deformed children. The bodies of many of the islanders were removed by U.S. personnel and examined.

A year before they were moved back to Rongelap, Merril Eisenbud, the first health and safety chief of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, had said, according to the transcript of a 1956 meeting: “That island is by far the most contaminated place on earth and it would be very interesting to get a measure of human uptake when people live in a contaminated environment. . . . While it is true that these people do not live the way Westerners do, civilized people, it is also true that these people are more like us than the mice.”

SyrBlackwolff
02-16-2012, 11:21 AM
It just never ceases to amaze me how so called educated, intellegent people can be so igronrant...... shaking my head!!!

Kobi
02-18-2012, 08:40 PM
G Jeremy Lin ESPN was offered an apology by ESPN for its use of an "offensive headline referencing him and the New York Knicks early Saturday morning.

The headline, used on the media outlet's mobile website, contained a racial slur as it described the Knicks' point guard and the team ending their winning streak against the New Orleans Hornets on Friday night.

The headline read "Chink in the Armor" and was up on the mobile site, which is seen on cell phones and tablets, for about a half-hour, according to ESPN. Lin, whose parents are Taiwanese, is the league's first American-Born player of Taiwanese or Chinese descent.

He had helped the Knicks to the seven-game winning streak, sparking a national sensation playfully known as "Linsanity."

ESPN posted an apology on all Knicks' stories on its website Saturday. It read: "Last night, ESPN.com's mobile website posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 a.m. ET. The headline was removed at 3:05 a.m. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."

Kobi
02-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Et tu, Ben & Jerry? The Vermont ice cream manufacturer have had second thoughts about a new flavor of frozen yogurt available at their Harvard franchise called Taste the Lin-Sanity. Why? Because initial batches of the Jeremy Lin-themed frozen dessert featured "pieces of fortune cookie," sfgate.com reports. Those have since been replaced with waffle pieces, a decision Ryan Midden, Ben & Jerry's general manager for their Boston and Cambridge outlets, insists was made because waffle pieces retain their crisp better. Midden does acknowledge, however, that some customers took offense at the implied racism.

Taste the Lin-Sanity's vanilla frozen yogurt also contains "lychee honey swirls," a decadent addition derived from the succulent fruit indigenous to southern China and Southeast Asia. So far, no one seems to have taken offense at that slightly subtler ethnic reference.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/02/ben-jerrys-removes-fortune-cookies-new-lin-sanity-flavor/49165/

Kobi
03-01-2012, 05:26 AM
On the March 2012 cover of FHM Philippines, the country’s top-selling men’s mag, a light-skinned model emerges from a group of black models accompanied by the caption, “Stepping Out of the Shadows.”

According to the New York Times, the photo of swimsuit-clad Filipino actress Bela Padilla immediately met backlash from readers and social media users who argue the photo is racist and insensitive. “Seriously, did you guys not sense how racist this concept was?” writes one user on the magazine’s Facebook page.

The outrage prompted local publisher Summit Media to issue an apology, scrap the edition and promise to print a new cover featuring Padilla. “In our pursuit to come up with edgier covers, we will strive to be more sensitive,” the company, which publishes more than 20 magazines in the Philippines, wrote in its statement.

Just hours after the cover ran, Filipino Victor Bautista launched an online petition on Change.org calling for Summit to apologize for and recall the cover, ABS-CBN News reports. “People of African descent have been unjustly stigmatized as embodying darkness, ever since the era of slave trading. The cover is a modern rendition of a regressive form of discrimination, and should thus be brought to utmost scrutiny, in a day and age wherein racial equality should be universal,” he wrote.

The BBC caught up with Padilla for an interview, where she said she did not have any regrets about the photo shoot. “So they wanted me to come into a ‘coming-of-age’ sort of article — that’s why they chose that caption,’’ she told the BBC. She said some of the models in the photo included light-skinned women painted black. “Some people might think that it’s even more offensive that some people in that shoot were Filipinas who were painted black,” replied reporter Mishal Husain.

The ad sparked debate on social media and news sites. “It is said that this is about Bela emerging from her ‘inhibitions.’ But pray tell, why would a white girl’s inhibitions appear as a bevy of black girls? Why pit one woman’s white body against five women’s black bodies? Why highlight one at the expense of the others?’’ Katrina Stuart Santiago wrote in an opinion piece for GMA News Online, a news outlet in the Philippines. Why indeed?

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/01/racist-filipino-magazine-cover-axed-after-online-outrage/#ixzz1nrao24vI

Kobi
03-01-2012, 05:42 AM
http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/linfortunecookie.jpg?w=240&h=360&crop=1

The first American-born player of Taiwanese descent in the NBA, Lin’s race has caused just as much chatter as his game-winning three pointers. And this is not a new thing for him. According to TIME’s cover story this week, the 23-year-old has had to overcome ethnic slur throughout his career. When Lin entered a gym for summer-league in high school someone dismissed him, saying he was in the wrong place for volleyball. While he played at Harvard, rival teams were the quickest to pass harsh slurs his way. During a game against Georgetown in Washington, a spectator yelled “Sweet-and-sour pork!” from the stands.

But the star’s success has helped him challenge racial stereotypes. Many Asian Americans are passionate about basketball, including Lin’s father, Gie-Ming Lin. When Lin’s father emigrated to the U.S. from Taiwan in 1977, he fell in love with basketball From an early age, Lin’s father has encouraged his son to make time for the game, taking him to the local YMCA to drill and watch recorded NBA games.

With Linspiration sweeping the globe, who knows what the future holds for basketball players of Asian descent? NewsFeed hopes the Linsanity will at least curb offensive signs like this.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/02/17/jeremy-lin-fans-fortune-cookie-poster-causes-controversy/?iid=obinsite#ixzz1nrd3X17A

After that news feed, I didnt expect the next article on the same page of the same site to say this:

MORE: Linsanity! Jeremy Lin Recolors the Culture of Basketball

Kobi
03-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, Nike released its SB “Black and Tan” sneakers, a nod to the popular beverage made from mixing stout and pale ale. What the company didn’t realize: the name is also deeply offensive to Irish people. It refers to a brutal British paramilitary unit sent to suppress Irish revolutionaries in the early 1920s. In Ireland, the “Black and Tans” are still widely associated with merciless mistreatment of civilians.

The name would be the equivalent of calling a sneaker the “Al Qaeda” in the U.S., Ciaran Staunton, president of the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform, told IrishCentral.com. Backlash ensued, and Nike offered a a swift apology for unintentionally upsetting the Irish people. It was a complete accident, of course, but it does make you wonder why nobody over at Nike’s headquarters knows how to use the ol’ Google machine.

One advertisement for the $90 sneaker reads: “Tis the season for Irish beer and why not celebrate with Nike. The Black and Tan sneaker takes inspiration for the fine balancing act of a Stout (Guinness) on top a Pale Ale (Harp) in a pint glass.” Nike officials told Fox News that the sneakers had been “unofficially named by some” and were officially dubbed the Nike SB Dunk Low.

Nike’s marketing crew must have been unaware of a very similar product-naming gaffe that caught Irish ire a few years back. Ben & Jerry’s, often lauded for its social awareness, released a “Black and Tan” ice cream in 2006, also unfamiliar with the name’s implications. No apology-flavored follow-up ice cream was ever released, but there’s still time for a limited edition release of some top-notch We’re Sorry We Messed Up kicks.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/15/nike-apologizes-for-controversial-black-and-tan-sneakers/?iid=nf-main-mostpop1#ixzz1pPVvZxeI

Kobi
03-21-2012, 05:03 AM
Members of the University of Southern Mississippi band chanted racist taunts at a hispanic Kansas State player during the schools' NCAA tournament game on Thursday.

After point guard Angel Rodriguez was fouled late in the first half of the second-round game, a few band members showered the freshman with cries of "where's your green card?"

The chant and those who participated don't warrant any civilized dialogue. Both are an embarrassment to the university.

Southern Miss president Martha Saunders quickly apologized for the incident.

"We deeply regret the remarks made by a few students at today's game," she wrote in a statement issued two hours after the game. "The words of these individuals do not represent the sentiments of our pep band, athletic department or university. We apologize to Mr. Rodriquez (sic) and will take quick and appropriate disciplinary action against the students involved in this isolated incident.

As if things could get any more ignorant, the basis for the band's racism was itself misguided. Rodriguez was born in Puerto Rico, a commonwealth of the United States. Even if he hadn't grown up in Miami and starred for a high school basketball team in that city, he'd still be an American citizen and have no need for a green card. Ignorant ignorance; it's the best kind.

Rodriguez and K-State had the last laugh. The Wildcats defeated Southern Miss, 70-64.

---------------------

USM president Martha Saunders announced Tuesday that five band members have had their scholarships revoked, have been removed from the band and will have to complete a two-hour cultural sensitivity training course this week. None of the names of the band members were revealed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/southern-miss-band-chants-where-green-card-puerto-205326741.html

Gemme
03-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Members of the University of Southern Mississippi band chanted racist taunts at a hispanic Kansas State player during the schools' NCAA tournament game on Thursday.

After point guard Angel Rodriguez was fouled late in the first half of the second-round game, a few band members showered the freshman with cries of "where's your green card?"

The chant and those who participated don't warrant any civilized dialogue. Both are an embarrassment to the university.

Southern Miss president Martha Saunders quickly apologized for the incident.

"We deeply regret the remarks made by a few students at today's game," she wrote in a statement issued two hours after the game. "The words of these individuals do not represent the sentiments of our pep band, athletic department or university. We apologize to Mr. Rodriquez (sic) and will take quick and appropriate disciplinary action against the students involved in this isolated incident.

As if things could get any more ignorant, the basis for the band's racism was itself misguided. Rodriguez was born in Puerto Rico, a commonwealth of the United States. Even if he hadn't grown up in Miami and starred for a high school basketball team in that city, he'd still be an American citizen and have no need for a green card. Ignorant ignorance; it's the best kind.

Rodriguez and K-State had the last laugh. The Wildcats defeated Southern Miss, 70-64.

---------------------

USM president Martha Saunders announced Tuesday that five band members have had their scholarships revoked, have been removed from the band and will have to complete a two-hour cultural sensitivity training course this week. None of the names of the band members were revealed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/southern-miss-band-chants-where-green-card-puerto-205326741.html

It's things like this that make me hesitant to tell people where I was born.

:blink:

Kobi
03-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Twitter users went into a frenzy today (warning: NSFW) when some people thought a Chinese clothing knockoff site using racist language belonged to clothing giant Abercrombie & Fitch.

The site, which has since been removed, used the N-word to describe a brown colored pair of cargo paints. The confusion and outrage was caused because the site is called "Abercrombie-and-Fitchoutlet."

Gawker reports that Chinese translation software company Kingsoft appears to be responsible for the incredibly poor language choice on the knockoff company's website.

And now, Abercrombie & Fitch says they are attempting to take legal action against the company that was not only falsely using their brand name but has caused them so much undeserved grief.

Kobi
03-23-2012, 12:51 AM
A spokeswoman for an elementary school in North Carolina has apologized for a "poorly worded" letter sent to parents in February, which suggested the students wear "animal print" clothing in honor of Black History Month.

WSOCTV reports that the Western Union Elementary School in North Carolina's Union County sent the letter, which also suggested dressing in "African-American attire," in celebration of the school's Feb. 28 Black History Day. The letter was published online by the LGBT rights blog UnicornBooty.com.

"While it was well-intended, it was poorly worded," Union County Public Schools' Chief Communications Officer Luan Ingram said in a statement. "We are reminding all of our principals to be very sensitive in word choices when communicating with parents concerning different ethnic groups and cultures that make up our world."

Ingram said the students had been studying the history of Africans who had been forcibly brought to America as slaves and that the clothing suggestion was meant to honor their cultural heritage, not be a commentary on modern African-American clothing.

Ingram told the Charlotte Observer that a similar letter had been sent home to students for the past seven or eight years and that none of the students' parents had complained about it.

An image of the letter first appeared on the photo sharing site Imgur and quickly made its way to Reddit. The full text of the letter reads:

"Parents, during the month of February, Western Union students have been studying Black History. On Tuesday, February 28, WUES will participate in a Black History Day. We will have speakers from 8-10am. We are encouraging students to dress in 'African American attire.' If you do not have this, students could wear animal print clothing or shirts with animals native to Africa (zebras, giraffes, lions, elephants, etc.) Thank you!"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/school-black-history-month-animal-attire-letter-causing-173139080.html;_ylt=An54BtC4rx8Aht51rSc.ZFQSH9EA;_ ylu=X3oDMTFoMTM2NHQ5BG1pdANCbG9nIEJvZHkEcG9zAzkEc2 VjA01lZGlhQmxvZ0JvZHlUZW1wQXNzZW1ibHk-;_ylg=X3oDMTM1YmwydDFjBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDOGU4ZWUwZDAtZTQyYi0zNTI5LWJjYTMtMDYxYmRiMj kyMWU3BHBzdGNhdANob21lfG9kZG5ld3MEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl BHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Kobi
03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Belvedere celebrates its vodka’s superior drinkability — but a new ad for the liquor producer is hardly in good taste.

The ad, which reads “Unlike some people, Belvedere goes down smoothly,” got its share of outraged reactions on Twitter, where the ad first appeared as part of a new marketing campaign. Featuring a prominent photo of a man grabbing a terrified-looking woman from behind, the not-so-subtle double entendre about the vodka’s taste ended up sounding like sexual assault to most that saw the ad.

Belvedere ended up taking the ad down within an hour, reported Forbes, but its efforts to calm those who thought the ad made light of rape and sexual assault were hardly satisfying. Belvedere’s first attempt at an apology fell short of its mark:

Belvedere Vodka @belvederevodka We apologize to any of our fans who were offended by our recent tweet. We continue to be an advocate of safe and responsible drinking.

The non-apology drew its own share of ire, with many assuming the vodka maker failed to fully appreciate the offensiveness of its ad’s message and instead put the burden of misunderstanding on its viewers.

The senior staff of the company eventually issued a fuller apology, saying the ad was “absolutely inconsistent with our values and beliefs,” and promising to donate to a women’s support charity. It was a step in the right direction, but the company stumbled slightly in their execution.

When asked by a New York Observer reporter what charity would receive its donation, Belvedere’s president mentioned RAINN (the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network) — but the link he included took the reporter to the personal Facebook page of a Singaporean Facebook member named Rain Chan. The link, to be sure, was fixed in a subsequent email (the result of a copy and paste error), and directed users to RAINN’s official Facebook page.

Though the ad’s inflammatory nature is hard to forget, RAINN appreciated the overture in the end: “Nice to see a company that not only undoes its mistake but looks for a way to do good afterwards,” reads a post on the organization’s Facebook page. But will the tasteless ad cause a nasty hangover for the company?

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/25/belvedere-vodka-retracts-offensive-ad-flubs-apology/#ixzz1qBi7GECI

Kobi
03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP)—Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey has apologized for using “a thoughtless choice of words” during an interview this week.

Speaking with a Boston Globe columnist, Lackey said it was “retarded” to make too much of reports about some Red Sox starters drinking beer and eating fried chicken in the clubhouse last year during games when they weren’t pitching.

On Tuesday, Lackey issued a written statement released by the Red Sox.

“I apologize for my thoughtless choice of words that appeared in print earlier today. I meant no harm, and I am sorry to all I offended,” he said.

Lackey is recovering from Tommy John surgery in November and will not pitch this season. He is entering the third season of a five-year, $82.5 million contract with the Red Sox.

Kobi
04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2011/07/theres-really-no-good-way-to-advertise-douching-products/large.jpeg

Summer's Eve's much-talked about "Hail to the V" ad campaign is no more. The videos showed talking hands that were supposed to represent vaginas, but it wasn't the unsubtle depiction of genitalia that got the company in trouble. It was the racial undertones of the depictions. After defending their ads against critics, The Richards Group ad agency surrendered Wednesday and pulled the videos from YouTube. "Stereotyping or being offensive was not our intention in any way, shape, or form," said agency spokesperson Stacie Barnett. "The decision to take the videos down is about acknowledging that there's backlash here. We want to move beyond that and focus on the greater mission."

Summer's Eve and The Richards Agency had hoped that the videos would make women feel more empowered. After all, the feminine hygiene company took flak last year for an ad that told women to douche before asking for a raise. We're not completely surprised that this year's campaign didn't work out. As we said last week, there's really no good way to advertise douching products.

In case you missed the ads altogether, Stephen Colbert did a reenactment on his show.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/business/2011/07/summers-eve-pulling-their-talking-vagina-ads/40474/

Kobi
05-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, compared immigrants to dogs at a town hall meeting on Monday, saying that the United States should pick the best immigrants the way one chooses the “pick of the litter,” according to a story in Salon, which also carried a video clip of the incident.

King told constituents in Pocahontas, Iowa, that he’s owned lots of bird dogs over the years and advised, “You want a good bird dog? You want one that’s going to be aggressive? Pick the one that’s the friskiest … not the one that’s over there sleeping in the corner,” the online magazine reported.

“You get the pick of the litter and you got yourself a pretty good bird dog. Well, we’ve got the pick of every donor civilization on the planet,” King said. “We’ve got the vigor from the planet to come to America.” According to Salon, the liberal research group American Bridge captured the comments on video.

King, a conservative, is one of the most anti-illegal immigration members of Congress, and he is also known for his sometimes impolitic comments.

http://news.yahoo.com/rep-steve-king-compares-immigrants-dogs-185236251.html;_ylt=AunZIK12IKMzAGM7iTWMDjamWot4;_ ylu=X3oDMTRvMWo0MWg1BGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDEwMDBwb29sd2 lraXVwcmVzdARtaXQDTmV3cyBmb3IgeW91BHBrZwM0YjljYjU5 Mi03YTc1LTNjNTctYWE1MS1mNWY3ZmEwN2ViYzAEcG9zAzcEc2 VjA25ld3NfZm9yX3lvdQR2ZXIDZDEyMTc2NjEtYTRlNi0xMWUx LWI4ZjUtMjcyOTIzYTBlMDQ5;_ylg=X3oDMTNycHF1amlkBGlu dGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDZWU1YzE2NDctNzQzZC 0zY2FjLTk5MTItMzIzMWQ0MzAxM2QzBHBzdGNhdANQb2xpdGlj c3xQb2xpdGljcyUyRkRlc3RpbmF0aW9uJTI1MjAyMDEyBHB0A3 N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=3

Kobi
05-24-2012, 04:49 AM
SAO PAULO (AP) — A Brazilian airline says one of its female pilots tossed a passenger off a flight because he was making sexist comments about women flying planes.

Trip Airlines says in a Tuesday statement the pilot ejected the man before takeoff as he made loud, sexist comments upon learning the pilot was a woman. The jet continued on to the state of Goias after a one-hour delay.

Trip says it won't tolerate disparaging remarks made about any of the 1,400 women working for the airline.

http://news.yahoo.com/female-pilot-tosses-passenger-sexist-remarks-124516772.html;_ylt=ApzBNhgGA3HwLAitfNoQfCSmWot4;_ ylu=X3oDMTRvcHNhZHRoBGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDEwMDBwb29sd2 lraXVwcmVzdARtaXQDTmV3cyBmb3IgeW91BHBrZwM1Y2U0MDAw Mi02YWEwLTM4NjQtYjc5OC0zYjlkZmFjNDMyYWQEcG9zAzYEc2 VjA25ld3NfZm9yX3lvdQR2ZXIDODZmYTY5MmMtYTRkNi0xMWUx LWFmYmUtOTk3ZDlhMzlkMTA3;_ylg=X3oDMTNycHF1amlkBGlu dGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDZWU1YzE2NDctNzQzZC 0zY2FjLTk5MTItMzIzMWQ0MzAxM2QzBHBzdGNhdANQb2xpdGlj c3xQb2xpdGljcyUyRkRlc3RpbmF0aW9uJTI1MjAyMDEyBHB0A3 N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=3

Kobi
06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
In North Carolina, one lawmaker, after voting to reject a state grant that covered family planning services, said “If these young women are being responsible and didn’t have the sex to begin with, we wouldn’t have this problem….” :blink:

One Georgia legislator recently compared women to farm animals—insisting women should be forced to carry pregnancies that aren’t viable to term just like pigs and cows do. :seeingstars:

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett said that women who didn’t want to be subject to the requirements of the state’s invasive and demeaning ultrasound law should just close their eyes. :|

Kobi
06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Reverend William E. Lori, spokesman for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, recently argued before Congress that contraception is no more essential to women than a ham sandwich.

Kobi
06-15-2012, 06:48 AM
Andrzej Bojanowski, the deputy mayor of Gdansk – one of the four Polish host cities of Euro 2012 – gave football fans, visitors and residents a rather uncomfortable welcome during a radio interview on Tuesday.

Poland’s image is already under the scrutiny of sport-lovers globally, following aggressive Russian-Polish brawls, alleged “monkey chants” directed at Italy’s Mario Balotelli, and apparent abuse hurled at the Czech Republic’s Theodor Gebre Selassie elsewhere in the country. And Bojanowski’s choice of words, when praising the honorable residents of Gdansk, has only made things worse.

He explained in the live radio broadcast: “I thank residents and city employees for behaving like normal civilized white people toward our guests who have in turn also behaved like normal white people.”

Backtracking in a local newspaper, Bojanowski wrote: “I apologize to anyone I may have hurt with the clumsy phrasing I used this morning in a live broadcast. I simply wanted to thank residents and guests, whatever the color of their skin.”

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/14/euro-2012-gaffe-is-poland-a-place-for-normal-civilized-white-people/?iid=nf-main-mostpop1#ixzz1xrjEaOhE

Kobi
07-06-2012, 09:51 PM
"As long as we keep talking about racism, it'll never go away. ... There's some people who walk through this world and can't help but hear those sort of things."

:|

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/carl-crawford-heckler-shouted-racial-slur-video-145129376--mlb.html

Kobi
07-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Despite the fact that the three-day conference was reportedly festooned with confederate flags and banners bearing Ku Klux Klan and white-supremacist slogans, and that it was scheduled to end July 6th with a “Sacred Christian Cross Lighting Ceremony” — not unlike the kind performed by the Klan –organizers denied that his organization was a hate group. “The white race is God’s chosen people,” William C. Collier, the organizer of the event, told WBRC. “We don’t have the facilities to accommodate other people. We haven’t got any invitations to black, Muslim events. Of course we are not invited to Jewish events and stuff.”

The Christian Identity Ministries, which is running the event along with the Church of God’s Chosen, also claims on its website that the “Europeans and their descendants are the chosen people of God.”

:seeingstars:

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/06/whites-only-pastor-conference-has-west-alabama-residents-upset/#ixzz1zweUTVIp

Kobi
07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
BERLIN—A town in southwest Germany has drawn accusations of sexism after designating two particularly tricky parking spaces "men only."

The mayor of the Black Forest town of Triberg says women would find it difficult to park there because drivers need to back in diagonally without hitting a pillar and a wall.

Gallus Strobel noted that 12 places in the 220-capacity car park are reserved for women. Many German cities designate a small number of parking spaces, usually near exits, for women concerned about their personal safety in poorly-lit garages.

Strobel told The Associated Press on Thursday that he had received overwhelmingly positive reactions from men who feel discriminated against by "women only" parking.

But the Triberg mayor says some "humorless people" had criticized the move.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2012/07/12/german_town_designates_tricky_parking_men_only/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Latest+news

Kobi
09-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Is Chad Johnson – formerly known as Chad Ochocinco– hoping to reconcile with his estranged wife Evelyn Lozada?

After his arrest on Aug. 11 for allegedly head-butting Lozada, the former Miami Dolphins player recently showed off a new tattoo of Lozada's face on his leg. When a Twitter user mentioned the tattoo and Lozada's filing for a divorce, Johnson responded, "Divorce? Child please... that's my WIFE." To another user, he wrote, "I don't give a flying pretzel in skittle rainbow hell what she filed for."

And while Lozada admits that she'll "always have love" for her husband of 41 days, she can't see them working things out in the future.

"This is something you should never tolerate," says Lozada, who hopes to inspire victims of domestic abuse to get help. "I don't care what the situation is – or who the man is."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20627081,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

Kobi
10-06-2012, 04:33 PM
The head of U.S.-based appliance company KitchenAid surely missed much of the presidential debate Wednesday night, forced to do damage control after a tweet published on the brand’s official account contained a disparaging remark about President Obama’s late grandmother.

After Obama mentioned his grandmother, who helped raise him and died just days before the 2008 election, @KitchenAidUSA sent the following message to its 25,000 followers — now deleted, but widely preserved in hundreds of retweets.

Corrin Foster @corrinrenee Easy there. RT: @KitchenAidUSA: Obamas gma even knew it was going 2 b bad! 'She died 3 days b4 he became president'. #nbcpolitics
3 Oct 12

The tweet sparked a massive backlash, and KitchenAid swiftly issued an apology tweet:

KitchenAid @KitchenAidUSA Deepest apologies for an irresponsible tweet that is in no way a representation of the brand's opinion. #nbcpolitics
3 Oct 12

Cynthia Soledad, KitchenAid’s senior director of branding, then took control of the KitchenAid account to issue a follow-up tweet that sought to “personally apologize” to the President and his family, as well as to “everyone on Twitter” for the “offensive tweet.”

In an email to tech website Mashable, Soledad explained that an employee had intended to tweet the message through a personal account, but mistakenly broadcast it via the corporate handle.

KitchenAid @KitchenAidUSA It was carelessly sent in error by a member of our Twitter team who, needless to say, won't be tweeting for us anymore.
4 Oct 12

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/05/what-kitchenaid-learned-on-debate-night-every-tweet-is-forever/#ixzz28YqErVME