PDA

View Full Version : It's a comic called the 'Pregnant Butch'

Quintease
03-05-2012, 06:24 PM
http://act-i-vate.com/133-1-1.comic

I sorta stumbled across it tonight.

iamkeri1
03-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Some really interesting ideas to think about after reading the comic ... still thinking.
Smooches,
Keri

genghisfawn
03-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Brilliant!

A friend of mine has been a pregnant butch bi-dyke three times. This latest was this past summer... with a sick partner, a toddler and a 13-year-old, she felt no crises of identity. She just lay on my floor, cried and ate a lot of weenies and beenies out of my crock pot (and all of my Gaviscon.)

As this was her third pregnancy, and her first happened at age 20, she knows exactly who she is. I empathise with Teek (the comic's protagonist) because of the obvious heteronormative expectations surrounding pregnancy which so few people have come to recognise and try to change.

I can't wait for more chapters. Thank you!

*hits Favourites*

Nadeest
03-06-2012, 05:26 AM
It is certainly interesting, that is for sure. I also think that this might well help people to think a bit about things.

Rox
03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Why? Maybe I'm just to butch to imagine, or even think of being pregnant. Kind of disturbing and takes away my masculinity viewing this comic. Should I start drinking now? :|

Corkey
03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Really? Cause Butches get pregnant all the time.

genghisfawn
03-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Parenting is amazing, no matter how you come about it. I hope that I'm woman enough that, if my butch wanted to have a baby, I'd be proud and loving about it.

Rox
03-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Really? Cause Butches get pregnant all the time.

I'm 43 years old and never heard of butches wanting to have children maybe because I never wanted kids or bare them~ but cheers to all the expected mothers and congrats:)

Corkey
03-20-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm 43 years old and never heard of butches wanting to have children maybe because I never wanted kids or bare them~ but cheers to all the expected mothers and congrats:)

I'm 53 and there are a bunch of butch mothers here, you should look around.

EnderD_503
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Haha, that's great. Also, at first I thought it was just my craziness that I thought Teek looked a heck of a lot like Tin-Tin in some pics...but I see it was intentional :p Adds an unexpected bit of humour to it, lol. Can't wait for the next one.

Toughy
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM

You should get out more............

The butches I know who gave birth certainly don't feel their masculinity has been taken away or changed at all.

And if your masculinity is threatened by reading a comic book........well never mind..............('too butch to imagine' my ass..... I can give you lessons if you like)

Novelafemme
03-20-2012, 10:14 PM
omg...i love this comic!!

i know three butch women who have given birth. they are all fabulous mothers and are lacking not a damned thing in the butch department!

princessbelle
03-20-2012, 10:17 PM
IMO it's just silly to think a butch wouldn't or couldn't or shouldn't give birth. It's a blessing to go through having a baby, if you choose to do so, no matter what anyone else thinks.

My ex from a few years back was butch and had a daughter. She was a fantastic mother.

One of the most wonderful weddings i've ever been to was when she walked her daughter down the isle in a tux and gave her away.

Truly was elegant and beautiful.

Funny comic btw

TWolf
04-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Funny! Will have to see how the series progresses....

As to the whole butch mom thing.... *shrug*.... my boy has always said I was more of a dad then a mom, but dadgum if he didn't survive anyway.... in fact there's nothing he delights in more then a good "your mom" joke.... *huge wolfish grin*

Queerasfck
04-14-2012, 10:33 AM
I like this. I was skeptical at first, but it grew on me. Thanks to Quintease for posting the link.

The drawings remind me of Alison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out (http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/) for or her award winning book FunHome.

firegal
04-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Child birth... YIKES!

ok go ahead say it......... i can take it!.............I,m a WIMP! :weightlifter:

Ginger
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Wasn't that Kim Dingle, the butch photographer whose work was featured at the Guggenheim about four years ago—anyone remember that huge photo of her, a big butch mom, sitting cross-legged, nude, nursing her baby? It was so in-your-face butch mom, I loved it!!