PDA

View Full Version : how would you react if your neighbor did this to you ????

goodlilfemme
07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
ok people this is what's going on . here's the facts .
1 may of 2011 my mother 67 years old bought a street level condominium . at the beginning of june she sent letters to her immediate surrounding neighbors alerting them there would be some remodeling going on in her condo . she did this PRIOR to the beginning of the project. she DID NOT have to send the letters but had done this as a curtesy alerting them of the potential noise and wanted to re assure them there would not be any going on after dinner time hours 6-7 pm ish . she also told them it would be going on most of that summer 2-3 months . the crew working on her condo respected my mother's wishes and never worked past 7 pm. well in late august last year the construction was done and mom moved into her now lovely updated condo . the downstairs neighbor has since sent threatening letters through her lawyer as well letters herself . threatening to sue my mother for making to much noise . intrestingly enough part of the construction consisted of special flooring being put in to minimize noise so as to be kind to this neighbor threatening to sue . i've read at least one letter she sent my mother and it clearly states shes threatening to extortion intentions . the woman wants money for her "suffering". now mom got a letter from the woman she has to let a crew in her house to test this flooring and see how noise resistent it is . i'd love to know what you all think . thanks goodlilfemme

Miss Scarlett
07-26-2012, 12:38 PM
People will sue over just about anything. If she hasn't already done so, your mom needs to consult with an attorney.

Little Fish
07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi--
First, I'm not an attorney but I do have some experience with this...

The condo association has a set of CC7Rs, yes? you know this?--basically the rules of living in this community. No set of CCRs would ban remodeling--b/c this just adds to the overall value of the property at large, and ironically, adds to the value of theneighbor as well...

Since your Mom sent out courtesy letters in advance, and the crew complied with her wishes etc--the neighbor is just blowing smoke up your ass. Your Moom should just double check with the HOA tosee if there were any official complaints lodged by this neighbor--more for curiosity than anything else. But the larger picture is this..the neighbor has no legal leg to stand on. She can threaten to sue all she (she?) wants--your Mom did nothing in violation of the CCRs. In addition, the neighbor will benefit from these improvements. Don't be intimidated--neighbor is an ass. Stop letting her jerk your Mom around, if Mom needs to get an attorney to write a letter that basically says STFU and you're an ass, go away or THIS IS HARASSMENT (*enter legal buzzword*)--and then don't repsond to any more letters, refer them to Mom's attorney. Also, Mom may want to have a conversation with condo board folks--perhaps an off the record kind of conversation to ascertain if this neighbor is an established wing-nut or not....

My .02--hope it helps, keep me posted.

Best regards-

Mike
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
your mom should have gottena copy of the HOA rules when she bought the condo. I bet if you read them, your mom has gone above and beyond what she has to do as far as remodeling and respect of the time frame. Any remodeling is going to be noisy. Most tsate that work cant began before a certain time and cant go after a certain time. I agree about the neighbor just blowing smoke. Whats going to happen when said neighbor needs some repairs done?
Stupid people.

Glenn
07-26-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree. If your mother informed the other tenants, board members or condo assc first, and they gave her the ok, because she is within the HOA rules, then your mother can turn around and sue her neighbor for harrassment, as long as they begin and stop work at a reasonable time. If your mother is upgrading the quality of the unit out of her own pocket, then that would also save the board expenses later on. Her neighbor will just have to buy earplugs, or wear earphones, etc.

~ocean
07-26-2012, 02:18 PM
~I'd like to know how many other bogus law suites this woman has under her belt . ~

girl_dee
07-29-2012, 06:14 PM
harassment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pisses me off for your mom!

i'd start having riverdance parties to show her what noise really is!

Nadeest
07-30-2012, 05:24 AM
I have never lived in a condo, so perhaps what I say is completely offbase, but I don't think so. First off, the people here have given you some good advice, to my mind.

Secondly, I would not let that crew in to test anything. That woman is just trying to get evidence so that she has better grounds for a lawsuit. My bet is that that crew will have no qualifications in the areas that she wants tested in the first place.

I would check with the Condo Association there as well as the housing authorities. Then talk to an attorney so that you have all the facts, as much as possible, to lay in front of this attorney.

I would also suggest that your mother not respond to any of these letters, or even talk to this woman right now. Let your mother's attorney do the talking, instead.