PDA

View Full Version : Dance lessons

stephfromMIT
08-18-2012, 12:09 AM
What kind of dance lessons should Amanda and I have in preparation for our wedding?

mariamma
08-18-2012, 12:41 AM
What kind of dance lessons should Amanda and I have in preparation for our wedding?
Whatever makes your heart lift into the air and feet dance without a care. It will be about connecting so find the music that makes y'all work in sync and go from there. If tango fills you with passion but her with dread, pick something else. Dance is such an emotive, visceral expression of whatever it is you are trying to convey. Find your music. The dance will follow.

Metro
08-18-2012, 06:13 AM

Easy Coast Swing and Country 2-Step are somewhat all-purpose and also a lot of fun. Best wishes!

Corkey
08-18-2012, 05:58 PM
What do you dance to now?
What is your first dance song?
Traditional or modern?

Youz got some thinkin' to doooo.

Oh a nice foxtrot is always a good choice.

The_Lady_Snow
08-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Maybe you should ask Amanda what she wants? It's her wedding as well I would think these kinds of decision would be run by her. Good luck picking out your first dance as a married couple:).

stephfromMIT
08-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Snow-Of course I should ask Mandy! :smh:

Ginger
08-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I was wondering, do you have a fantasy about what a perfect wedding is, or what your perfect wedding would be?

It seems like your expectations (carrying your bride over the threshhold, having a "first dance" with a special song), are some of the choices traditional to a certain kind of wedding (emphasis on "certain"—of course, there are many kinds of weddings"!).

So I'm wondering what your models are, and if you've fantasized about your wedding since you were a little girl, as have many straight women.

I wonder if you would find useful, a new collection of essays called Here Come the Brides, edited by Michele Kort and Audrey Bilger. In it, women hash out some of these kinds of questions and look at the origins of their expectations of what a wedding "should" be.

For me, whatever the theme or tone, weddings are always very emotional, as people make a heartfelt promise to each other to be love and be there for each other.

stephfromMIT
08-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Scout-I appreciate those recommendations. :D Even though I'm a butch lesbian, I'm also very traditional. I've always dreamed of finding that person to grow old with, love honor, cherish. KWIM? I'm grateful I found her when I was 15 years old. From your post, you sound surprised I'm so traditional.

Ginger
08-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Scout-I appreciate those recommendations. :D Even though I'm a butch lesbian, I'm also very traditional. I've always dreamed of finding that person to grow old with, love honor, cherish. KWIM? I'm grateful I found her when I was 15 years old. From your post, you sound surprised I'm so traditional.

Dear Stephanie,

No I’m not surprised at your wedding plan choices.

You’ve made me start thinking though, about whether gay or lesbian or butch-femme or poly (why not?), or other LGBT weddings will have an impact on straight weddings, and/or the other way around.

Before legalized gay marriage, there was the Commitment Ceremony, which was and remains to be, I think, pretty inventive; almost as if rejecting the traditional wedding option, from which gays and lesbians have been excluded.

I’m not saying one kind of wedding is better than any other, I’m saying this is an interesting time to watch what happens with weddings, in our various gay and lesbian communities.

So far, the media has shown us two brides in white dresses or a butch-femme bride and groom. You could sort of say this first wave of LGBT weddings has a reactionary tone to it, that subsequent gay and lesbian weddings won’t have. Or not.

I’ve been to three straight weddings in the last few years, and I’m attending another one, this October.

My nephew, who has no religious affiliation (he was never baptized, never taken to church, and one Christmas revealed that he thought Mary was Jesus’s girlfriend), married a Jewish woman and they chose to include in their ceremony two symbolic aspects of a Jewish wedding—the chuppah, which he made as a bonding activity with his best and oldest buds, and the stomping of the glass; which both he and the bride did, because they like what it represents (some say), about their union never being undone, just as broken glass can never be whole again.

The ceremony was conducted by their friend who is a non-denominational minister, and there was no mention of god—though there was much talk of love. The ceremony was held at the top of a hill, on a ranch in San Luis Obispo, where they all went to college.

My other nephew is getting married this fall in an historic house in Kentucky, and it will not be a religious event, either. He and his fiancé are extremely creative, unorthodox people, and I’m really curious to see what they come up with.

One of my best girlfriends was married a couple years ago, in an old church in Rhode Island, and that was a traditional Catholic ceremony, very god-focused. It was also very fairy-tale-like (I’m saying this because of her big puffy dress, the towering church spires, the church bells, the little children strewing rose petals—almost dreamlike, it was so pretty), and centered on talk of love. The groom’s voice broke as he declared his vows, and the dance party afterwards was phenomenal.

One wedding I didn’t attend but was told about was that of an acquaintance of mine, a woman who is Jewish and white, and whose fiancé is black, Christian and from the South. They chose, she said, as part of their ceremony, the jumping of the broom, which of course, is part of African slave culture in the United States.

All these choices came from the bride’s and groom’s experience, their cultural identity and conscious departure from or embracing of that identity. All are variations on a template that involves making a public declaration of commitment in a special place. All have elements that are unique to the people getting married.

So I’m wondering where your choices are coming from, that’s all. And again, no, your choices don’t surprise me. Weddings are such a new frontier, and such an old one, and nothing about them surprises me.

stephfromMIT
08-20-2012, 03:04 PM
My choices, I guess, come from seeing the weddings around me, and my belief that the only difference between those weddings and mine is the lack of a groom in mine.