PDA

View Full Version : Claddagh rings

stephfromMIT
08-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Anyone wear them? I wear one to represent where I am romantically. (On left ring-finger, heart pointed in)

stephfromMIT
08-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Anyone wear them? I wear one to represent where I am romantically. (On left ring-finger, heart pointed in)

Just googled. Appearantly the heart should point out for now. (out=engaged in=married)

Electrocell
08-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Yes I have one don't remember how it is suppose to be worn if you are available lol. Guess I'll have to check it out. Love what it stands for ---love ,loyalty and friendship I believe.

Electrocell
08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Claddagh rings are often used as friendship rings, but are most commonly used as engagement/wedding rings. In Ireland, America and other places, the Claddagh is handed down mother-to-daughter or grandmother-to-granddaughter. The way that a Claddagh ring is worn on the hand is usually intended to convey the wearer's relationship status:

On the right hand with the point of the heart toward the fingertips, the wearer is single and may be looking for love. (This is most commonly the case when a young woman has first received the ring from a relative, unless she is already engaged).
On the right hand with the point of the heart toward the wrist, the wearer is in a relationship, or their heart has been "captured".
On the left hand with the point of the heart toward the fingertips, the wearer is engaged.
On the left hand with the point of the heart toward the wrist, the wearer is married.[1]
There are other localised variations in the traditions involving the hand and the finger upon which the Claddagh is worn. Folklore about the ring is relatively recent, not ancient, with "very little native Irish writing about the ring".[2]

cheekyali
08-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Having family that was from Galway (and not distant family either), the Claddagh plays a big part for me.

I wear mine on my right hand (just cos the left one is taken lol).

It means so much to me that I got a claddagh tattoo on my back so I will always have it, even when I take off the ring at work.

Should add, I was going to get a Claddagh wedding ring, but, it would be too much for me.