PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstorm Sandy

Pages : [1] 2

Dance-with-me
10-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Are you in its currently expected path?

What if anything are you doing to prep?

How worried are you?

Current models have it making U.S. landfall very close to me, either late Monday or early Tuesday - just earlier this evening it was predicted on the same path 6hours earlier so so much can obviously change.

My main worry is that I'll be stuck at home in an extended power outage with my ex, step-d, her bf, a baby, and two scared/bored kids. I'm selfishly praying that I can continue with my original plan to leave home for my Tues-Thurs conference in DC on Monday afternoon, and deal with the storm from there.

BrutalDaddy
10-25-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't live in it's path but I'm driving right to it with my next load. Will be delivering in PA on Monday. So a lil nervous about it.

Luckily my company gives a shit about it's employees and they stress to us on a daily basis that if we don't feel safe driving in it, park it. Load can't get there if driver can't.

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Depends on where you are in PA how bad it will be, cold yep but you may not have snow if you deliver say north of Pittsburg. Says the guy who's wife just pointed all this out.

BrutalDaddy
10-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I have no idea what part of PA. I know it's a placed called Mehooonay? I think is how it's spelled.

I have never driven in snow or on ice before so that's the only thing I'm truly worried about. Lol.

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:10 PM
mehoopany pa

Googling now.

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:12 PM
http://www.pennsylvania.com/maps.html

Here ya' go yep you're gonna be in it.

BrutalDaddy
10-25-2012, 10:12 PM
mehoopany pa

Googling now.

That's it! Lol. It sounds familiar so I think I went through it or near it back when I worked for first company but that's been a while.

Sorry for derailing your thread Dance!

Not sure how I'd prepare for this one but I live on the coast and we always prepare by keeping water on hand and sometimes mre (nasty stuff but works). I'd probably keep lots of firewood on hand if I were up north in case power goes out.

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Ami will be working, of course, I will be home with survival candles storm radio, cat, lots of things to read and, we should be fine, perhaps some power outages, but they should be short as we're not going to be in it proper.

BrutalDaddy
10-25-2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.pennsylvania.com/maps.html

Here ya' go yep you're gonna be in it.

The place where lil star is located or the mark by New Jersey?

(PLease say the mark with star and NOT the one by Jersey.)

Hollylane
10-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't think I would be worrying so much if I could be there with Gaige during whatever blows into Maryland...Gaige, for the record, is not worried. It is just her woman who is worked up about it...

clay
10-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Weather Forecasters are calling this a "perfect storm"....like the one in 1991, the movie was based on, by same name. That storm caused millions in damages. This one is predicted to cause BILLIONS.
There is a Front coming in from Midwest, an Arctic Front coming in, and this Carribbean front...all expected to collide Sunday night/Monday am.
It has a 200 mile radius, and is predicted to coast along in the Atlantic BUT with this radius, the "trifecta" colliding at once, will create a mess. Torrential rains for East Coast, flooding, and snowfall for New England.
This storm bears watching by all of us along Eastern Seaboard from Fla. all the way up to New England...stay safe...all of us!!!

Dance-with-me
10-25-2012, 10:19 PM
We only very briefly lost power when Irene sailed through here last year, but I have a feeling this may be a little crazier than that: Much slower moving, and all of the unknowns that could easily shift it from a reasonably predictable hurricane to a nasty unpredictable nor'easter once it mingles with that cold front heading south.

Give me a hurricane over a nor'easter any day!!

OK, starting my storm survival shopping list:
Wine
giant jar of Nutella

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:26 PM
The place where lil star is located or the mark by New Jersey?

(PLease say the mark with star and NOT the one by Jersey.)

The star is your place, it isn't New Jersey, but Jersey Shore PA. Closer to Williamsburg PA

P to the S you can enlarge the map to see exactly.

BrutalDaddy
10-25-2012, 10:29 PM
The star is your place, it isn't New Jersey, but Jersey Shore PA. Closer to Williamsburg PA

P to the S you can enlarge the map to see exactly.

Yea, I did and see it now. Wow. Well if there was ever a time to learn how to drive in nasty northeast weather, now would be it. Lol.

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Yea, I did and see it now. Wow. Well if there was ever a time to learn how to drive in nasty northeast weather, now would be it. Lol.

Am I presuming you have chains?

BrutalDaddy
10-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Am I presuming you have chains?

....No. We weren't supposed to pick up chains till later next week. Going to call Manager in morning and see what he says about all this. He might tell me to go ahead and start heading in that direction then take it from there.

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:40 PM
....No. We weren't supposed to pick up chains till later next week. Going to call Manager in morning and see what he says about all this. He might tell me to go ahead and start heading in that direction then take it from there.

Nov 1st is the date to legally put them on in PA. We're getting snow tires in a few weeks.

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Dance-with-me
10-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Oh, as far as I'm concerned this totally related -- no way in hell I'd be wanting to face driving a rig in the snow and ice for the first time in the middle of a potentially high-winds storm!!

Corkey
10-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Oh, as far as I'm concerned this totally related -- no way in hell I'd be wanting to face driving a rig in the snow and ice for the first time in the middle of a potentially high-winds storm!!

It is a trip I'd not want to make. Just getting Ami safely to work and home is all that is on my mind.

BrutalDaddy
10-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Nov 1st is the date to legally put them on in PA. We're getting snow tires in a few weeks.

Will have to remind him of that.

BrutalDaddy
10-25-2012, 10:55 PM

Lol. You and me both. I think I'll be okay so long as I keep speed WAY down and go as far as I feel I can safely. Beyond that I'll find someplace to park it until Sandy blows over but will have to hit a Wal Mart on way there in case I get stranded for few days unless I can find out where Corkey lives. :P

laruss
10-25-2012, 11:03 PM
I am concerned for those in Florida as a hurricane can cause a lot of damage.

The East cost is expecting gale force winds, rain and snow. I live in Canada where that happens on a regular basis. Is the storm in the East expected to be dangerous or just a pain in the ass? I have many friends on the East coast and am trying to decide if I should be worried or amused that they may actually face some Canadian weather. I looked it up on line but couldn't find anything that made it sound scarier then what we get. How bad is it expected to be?

If you are driving truck and the roads are slick with ice, snow, rain, anything at all... pull over. Save yourself and others the hassle and the heart attack. Tuesday when I drove home I saw a dozen or more semi's in the ditch and others across the road sideways or stuck on ramps unable to get up. No load is worth risking your life, or that of others in your path.

Corkey
10-25-2012, 11:13 PM
TWC is saying the winds are going to be huge, and the storm surge will be heavy from the Carolinas to New England. That is a huge area. It will be a full moon so that will push the surge even higher. The in flow and out flow are at 200 miles and could get to 400 miles. Massive.

macele
10-25-2012, 11:48 PM
hurricane katrina taught me to invest in a generator. and head lights, ... for your head! lol sounds funny but those things really do come in handy.

be safe and take care of each other.

Dance-with-me
10-25-2012, 11:58 PM
My suggestion to anyone who is potentially going to be affected by this storm, especially if you're a hurricane virgin: Local stations, The Weather Channel, and weather.com are the worst options ever for hurricane info because what they want are ratings and to get ratings they feed you just as much hype as facts.

Go directly to the source: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

This is a good image to watch: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/025626.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Reading the discussion can help as well.

Current track has mainland landfall on Monday night, right around south NJ/northern DE/Philadelphia, BUT this has changed significantly every few hours in the past 24, so nothing is certain yet for this. Also keep in mind that these models don't really factor in what might happen to it if the other storm systems mess with it and turn it into a nor'easter.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812W5_NL+gif/025626W5_NL_sm.gif

bright_arrow
10-26-2012, 12:04 AM
I have had quite a few orders for generators at work. A guy called in and bought one too, coming 4 hours to get it :| We just brought home a TON of firewood, and have a few cases of water and decent canned goods. I think it is near time for my snow tires, studded at that, to go on! Normally wait until the first snow fall to do it, mostly because the damage they can do to roads. Will have to check out my blades too and see if I need new heavy duty ones.

Lady Pamela
10-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Be safe and don't take any chances.

\Get out now if ya all think your going to be within its path please.
Better to be safe than sorry

Rockinonahigh
10-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Please anyone in anyway near this storm go somewhere safe if at all possable,the material thngs in life can be replaced,these stormes are not to be messed with.I live in Lousiana and delt with hurricanes before.

At the moment we are haveing a serious storm going on,its the cold front thats droping the temp by as much as 20*..it was 70* today.I hear this is a for runner of the cold air that will collide with Frankinsandy.

always2late
10-26-2012, 01:11 AM
We live close to the Jersey shore and are in the predicted path. I'm hoping that it's not going to be as bad as the weather stations are forecasting. We have candles, and water...and will just have to brace ourselves and wait it out. As long as there is no flooding, and none of the trees in our yard come down, we should be ok.

bright_arrow
10-26-2012, 01:34 AM
We live close to the Jersey shore and are in the predicted path. I'm hoping that it's not going to be as bad as the weather stations are forecasting. We have candles, and water...and will just have to brace ourselves and wait it out. As long as there is no flooding, and none of the trees in our yard come down, we should be ok.

We have a huge tree that is in front of the kiddo's bedroom window/shading our dining room [it used to be an outside porch, but they chose to close it in]. I think we would be a bit screwed if that tree came down. Last storm we had, a huge branch came off the tree way in the back of our yard. :|

Kobi
10-26-2012, 05:10 AM
There are all kinds of warnings here tho it looks like the storm itself is, at the moment, going to hit just south of us.

Nonetheless, tomorrow will batten down the hatches outdoors. The hurricane supplies have been replenished - went thru enough week long power outages to always prepare for that.

Now, if I could just decide where would be a safe place to park the car all would be good.

Just a reminder to people facing power outages, set your fridge/freezer at the coldest temps 24-48 hours in advance. Make bags of ice cubes or just ice to stick in freezers and fridges. Will buy a bit more time if the power goes out.

Am happy a friend nearby has a generator and a few close by with gas grills. I need my coffee. :)

On the positive side, with the potential erosion from this storm, I will be one step closer to oceanfront property - provided the structure is still standing. LOL.

Dance-with-me
10-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Good news from my perspective is that it is now predicted to hit later, so that will hopefully give me plenty of time to get out of here, because I just do not want to be at home with everyone - I'd rather be stuck alone in a hotel than here! I'm going to bring a battery lantern, a head lantern, a flashlight, and some extra batteries, and I'll just presume that the hotel will take care of the rest if needed!

(am I an awful person for wanting to run away from my own home and grandkids?!?)

Bad news from my perspective is that the current 5-day forecast shows it as a Cat-1 storm with a direct hit in my back yard at around 2am Tuesday. :blink:

Honestly? From THAT perspective, I really wish I were staying. For all the chaos and stress, when Irene came through here as a low Cat-1, it was freaky cool. But I'm weird like that.

Heavenleahangel
10-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I live in Upstate NY near Albany and our news meteorologists are saying we are gonna have wind and rain-lots of it and to be prepared. I have bottles of water, canned food and a gas stove in my kitchen so I can cook even without power. I hope everyone is safe and the storm fizzles out.

Ms. Meander
10-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Living on a small farm, we will not be taking any chances with preparedness. Heavy rains and strong winds could cause a lot of damage and take out power.

One year ago there was a ridiculous storm that left us without power for a week (us, the lucky ones) and I was not prepared. I am teachable! Thank you, Mother Nature.

Stay safe, all.

ruffryder
10-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Hurricane Sandy is pounding in the waters outside central FL currently. In Brevard County and Cocoa Beach they are seeing winds upwards near 105 mph, 12-18 foot waves, and rain. Schools are closed today and the beaches are closed for driving. Inland we are having wind up to 30 mph and some rain.

Sandy knocked out power and flooded the Bahamas and Jamaica and left 22 dead in the Caribbeans. Thursday it weakened to a 1 and hit up Cuba killing people there.

The storm is predicted to weaken from hurricane status and hit Jersey on Tuesday with a "90 percent chance that most of the U.S. East Coast would get steady gale-force winds, flooding, heavy rain and maybe snow starting Sunday and stretching past Wednesday" U.S. forecaster Jim Cisco said.

It is forecast to make landfall sometime before dawn Tuesday between northern North Carolina and southern New England. It all depends what it decides to do on Sunday.

This perfect storm is widespread and serious. It is predicted for at least 1 billion in damage and possibly affecting PA and NY also and reaching as far west as Ohio.

clay
10-26-2012, 08:19 AM
I am getting some of the very earliest outer bands now...winds...and skies are overcast. Temp dropped 8 degrees.
With the 200 mile radius of this thing, it is going to be a bumpy ride for all of us along the Coast...
Stay safe....blessings for all of us!!!

Teddybear
10-26-2012, 08:32 AM
I have no idea what part of PA. I know it's a placed called Mehooonay? I think is how it's spelled.

I have never driven in snow or on ice before so that's the only thing I'm truly worried about. Lol.

Well ur.going to be right close to it. Get there early if u can. It right off 81. Notany places to park so call ur receiver and ask if u will be able to park there overnite some places won't let u. If u need help finding a.place.to park let me know I can tell u where truck stops r in pa .

Novelafemme
10-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Ya'll just come to AZ where you'll be landlocked, hot and sweaty, and the worst that can happen when a storm hits is you might get some sand stuck in yer butt-crack.

Seriously though, please be safe and take good care. :candle:

Corkey
10-26-2012, 12:12 PM
I have had quite a few orders for generators at work. A guy called in and bought one too, coming 4 hours to get it :| We just brought home a TON of firewood, and have a few cases of water and decent canned goods. I think it is near time for my snow tires, studded at that, to go on! Normally wait until the first snow fall to do it, mostly because the damage they can do to roads. Will have to check out my blades too and see if I need new heavy duty ones.

Check with yer dood on the law for when studs can go on. Here it's Nov 1st. Yes they give tickets if it's too soon.

~ocean
10-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I am getting some of the very earliest outer bands now...winds...and skies are overcast. Temp dropped 8 degrees.
With the 200 mile radius of this thing, it is going to be a bumpy ride for all of us along the Coast...
Stay safe....blessings for all of us!!!

((((((( clay )))))))) hold on ~~ it's gonna be a bumpy ride ! plz be safe when that monster storm hits

Dance-with-me
10-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Prediction is now for later - 8am Tuesday instead of 2am Tuesday, and every bit that it's pushed back later is good for me - but it's still tracking to make landfall just 20 miles from my house and then track directly through my town as a cat 1.

Things like this make me nervous:
"We're not trying to hype it," National Weather Service meteorologist Paul Kocin tells Bloomberg News. "What we're seeing in some of our models is a storm at an intensity that we have not seen in this part of the country in the past century."

~ocean
10-26-2012, 12:18 PM
(((( dance )))))))) be safe ~

clay
10-26-2012, 12:24 PM
((((((( clay )))))))) hold on ~~ it's gonna be a bumpy ride ! plz be safe when that monster storm hits

(((((((((ocean)))))))))))) YES, it sure is!!! The bands are what I am slated to get.
The last thing I saw was that it is predicted to make a turn inland between DC and NE....as its first landfall!! If indeed it does go that way, it is predicted to go as far as Ohio, too with its effects.
Regardless, I think this is going to be one melluva hess.....everywhere along East Coast!!
200 mile wide band, full moon, high tides....hang on people!!!

clay
10-26-2012, 12:26 PM
((((((((((((ocean)))))))))
I just wanted to say thank you...through every "predicted" event this entire season....YOU have always checked on me, spoke words of compassion, and remained a wonderful friend...I so appreciate YOU!!
You take care as well..I see you are "submerged"...smiles...so take care and be safe as well!! Thank You!!

Nomad
10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
it's my first hurricane. does that make me a hurricane virgin?

Corkey
10-26-2012, 12:55 PM
We're home and the first batch of storms are just coming out of Ohio. The nasty stuff will hit us later on Monday or Tuesday.

Brute, be careful and give yourself plenty of time, go slow and stay safe my friend. Everyone in the path, if you have a generator get it out of moth balls, get some gas, extra, and oil, spark plugs and NO cooking on hibachis in the house! Prior planning prevents problems.

Stay safe!

Dance-with-me
10-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Of course! Are you in the path -- which means pretty much anywhere east coast/NE?

Need ideas for preparations? Or for appropriate hurricane party beverages? ;)

Dance-with-me
10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Holy crap in a bucket: Expected accumulative rainfall for my area is almost 13" -- right at the center of this diagram, highest for any place along the storm path. We normally get around 45" of rain PER YEAR.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoom/Rainfall_Days_1-5.gif

Reader
10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Chateau Reader in New Jersey is open for business! ;)

Reader
10-26-2012, 01:48 PM

CIJS-(I know that is another thread) That there are many naughty and tawdry remarks I almost replied to your post, but, I didn't!

:)

Corkey
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
3 to 6 inches of rain expected with the second storm (Sandy).

The_Lady_Snow
10-26-2012, 01:56 PM
So far it's been a nice over cast day here in the Jax area...

alexri
10-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Too early to know for sure what this storm will do, but I believe there's no doubt that wherever it hits, it will be massive, it will be slow moving, and it will be messy.

Grocery stores are already crazy here. I picked up some extra gallons of water and non-perishable foods that don't involve cooking in case I lose power. Tried to pick the most healthy things I could.

Last year I lost power for 8 days in Irene, and then another 5 days in the Halloween storm. Three years ago I spent three days pumping 6 feet of water out of my basement. The news had coverage of my city mall under water. That was 4 days of no heat, no water, no electricity. I learned my lessons well.

I'd rather assume the worst but do so without over-panicking. Maybe I'm over-preparing but I'd rather have all my bases covered.

Things I did today:
* Removed everything from the yard that could become an 50 mph projectile into my windows
* Prepared to eat down as much of the frozen/refrigerated food as I can before the storm hits, so if I do lose power for days again, I won't throw out a ton of food
* Made sure I have plenty of clean drinking water for at least 4 days
* Stocked up the rest of the extra firewood in the garage so if I lose power, at least I can have fireplace heat
* Put all the candles, matches and flashlights in an easy place where I can find them. Also got out my old walkman and the batteries for that so I can listen to radio announcements via headphones if I need to.
* Put a flashlight in the car so if I lose power before I get home from work, I can find my way into and around the house to the other flashlights
* Started charging everything that needs to be charged.
* Got all my pumps, hoses and extension cords ready in the garage in case I get flooding again and need to pump water out.
* Started making lots of extra ice to fill the freezer and a cooler if I need to keep some food items on ice in a power outage.
* I don't have enough food in the fridge/freezer for it, but if I did, I would turn up the settings now to get them cooler.
* Filled up my gas tank, and some spare gas containers in the garage.
* Made sure I had a written list of phone numbers for friends in the area that can help me if I am stuck in case my cell phone dies.
* for the pets- I have a new bag of food and tons of clean litter.
* I double checked my evacuation kit and my medical kit, making sure I have everything I may need ready to go if I have to get the heck out of here.
* went to the library to pick up some good books.

Right before the storm I will..
* Unplug non-essential appliances in the event of a power surge
* Locate all of my shovels in the garage if this thing turns to snow
* make sure I have 4 days of clean clothes and towels in case I can't do laundry for days.

Gráinne
10-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Sandy is expected to be a Cat 1 hurricane when it hits.

Not to scare people, but some of us have been through even just a "tropical storm", and they are frightening. If it is at all doubtful that you are safe where you are, there's no shame in getting out. Better to get out than to be hurt-or worse.

I would add in terms of prep, to get your important papers together in something fire and waterproof. Insurance policies, Social Security cards, ID's, birth certificates, all things like that.

Be safe.

GreeneyedMe
10-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Dug out sleeping bags and extra blankets in case of power loss...have water and stuff...new batteries for weather radio and lanterns...brought in all my outdoor stuff today so it doesn't go flying away...charging everything I can on Mon and Tues...scared to death....we don't get this kind of thing around here....luckily my parents are close and they have a generator...so we can camp out there if need be...hang on everyone...let us all stay safe and warm. Love and hugs. :rrose:

clay
10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Since I am in an area that is lots of islands and bridges, I am watching this really closely. I have two bridges to cross over the Intercoastal to get off the Island.
There are two movable bridges in this place...both are being monitored by DOT...with high winds they will be shut down, and so will Maritime traffic!
Now where is that chocolate? <grin>

ruffryder
10-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Great preparedness everybody!

Brace yourselves it's heading up FL into ya'lls neck of the woods.

cinnamongrrl
10-26-2012, 03:56 PM
all i have to say is...i cant wait for this big bitch to pass.....i have a malformation of my inner ear that reacts to barometer changes and i have got a wicked headache from the storm front moving in so slowly.....if i were a sailor this would be a talent...a gift even....but since im not....it just friggin hurts....

:seeingstars:

Blade
10-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I just left Charleston SC a few hours ago. It was windy, more so than normal and overcast. They were calling for a lot of rain for Saturday. I will be on Peaceful Ridge, and returning to Charleston Monday after the weather clears and the fog is out of my head.

Teddybear
10-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Chateau Reader in New Jersey is open for business! ;)

Not sure where in NJ u r but Im hearing that they are predicting it is going to hit NJ. Stay safe

NJFemmie
10-26-2012, 04:51 PM
So NOT looking forward to this.
I hope we don't get as much rain as they say we might.
I actually prefer my Nor'Easters to be snow.

Corkey
10-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Ami had a feeling. She has never had to do the emergency prep before, not even for snow storms.
6 gal of water
another case of flavored water
led lantern
2 55 hour candles on top of the one we already have that is a survival one which we can cook with.
1 large tub for the um plumbing needs (to be filled with fresh water)
1 land line
assorted nonperishable food.
wet wipes
paper towels
disposable bowls and utensils.

We're good to go.

Lady Pamela
10-27-2012, 12:09 AM
First off..everyone there please stay safe and evacuate if at all possible.

If not make sure you fill your tub full of water
Fill freezer bags full of water and freeze as many as you can stuff in freezer..helps to keep stuff cold and serve as emergency water
Gallons of water 1 each per day per person for drinking for a week in best suggested.
If you have a storage freezer freeze bottles of water
Food for a week for each person that doesnt need to stay cold.
meds and first aide.
Keep phone charged so you have it. Keep it off unless in use while hurricane
animal food and articles
STUFF TO COOK OUT OR ON THAT IS RUN BY BRIQUETTES OR,GAS OR OIL
tONS OF ABTTERIES AND FLASHLIGHTS..LOL
oops got excited..ha

Remember in the event things get really bad..water in water heaters is clean and can be used..just sayin.

Parker
10-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Ugh, this storm - I worry about you all - a lot of my family is in PA, so I worry about them as well. My sis-in-law sent me a FB message asking about generators & wanted advice on which kind/size to buy because they were without power during the last big storm and they wanted to be better prepared this time.

Just seems like the east coast is getting pounded over the past couple of years - almost as much as the south! :(

Stay safe - all of you! :stillheart:

bright_arrow
10-27-2012, 02:21 AM
We purchased a 5g water carrier for our camping trips over the summer.. just filled that with water. Think perhaps I will swing by grocery store tomorrow and pick up a few of those big bottles of water, and some candles and pet food, perhaps some tuna and canned fruit. We have firewood. Will make note to pick up some matches and/or lighters, and perhaps a big lantern in case we lose power.

Caught up on laundry, so bedding and clothes are fine. Now I am fretting about if I have to go to work in this weather [they are training us to handwrite out sales tickets in case our generator goes out.. uhm.. really?], and if I do, not being all showered. Also, do I need to go get my snow tires put on the truck and get the four 70 lb sand bags in the back to way it down? Never had to prepare for anything like this :|

ETA: I have been telling Bard we need to stock up our pantry cause, well, we live in Upstate NY. Shit happens. Yeah we are in the city, and that is good enough reason! Found a link that lists a 'hurricane grocery list'. Thought this could help out some people since I found it useful: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/06/Food/Your_hurricane_grocer.shtml

ruffryder
10-27-2012, 03:25 PM
5 reasons why Sandy is expcected to be a superstorm:

1. A NORTHBOUND HURRICANE

Hurricane Sandy is moving very slowly toward the north-northeast and is expected to continue its current path parallel to the Carolinas over the weekend, forecasters say. At some point, it's expected to become what's known as an extratropical storm. Unlike a tropical system like a hurricane, which gets its power from warm ocean waters, extratropical systems are driven by temperature contrasts in the atmosphere. At some point, probably Monday, Sandy will begin to turn back toward the coast and eventually make landfall over Delaware or New Jersey.

2. EARLY WINTER STORM

Sandy is expected to merge with a wintry system from the west, at which point it will become the powerful superstorm that has forecasters and officials all along the Eastern Seaboard on edge. Winds from that system will pull Sandy back toward the U.S. mainland.

3. ARCTIC AIR FROM THE NORTH

Frigid air coming south from Canada also is expected to collide with Sandy and the wintry storm from the west, creating a megastorm that is expected to park over the northeast for days. Forecasters are expecting residents from Florida to North Carolina to feel the peripheral effects. But the brunt of the storm will hit states farther north once Sandy collides with the winter storm and frigid air. Officials are bracing for the worst: nearly a foot of rain, high winds and up to 2 feet of snow.

4. HIGH TIDES COULD WORSEN FLOODING

Further complicating matters is the possibility for dangerous storm surges: A full moon means the tides will be higher than usual, which will make it easier for the storm's powerful winds to push water into low-lying areas. That, coupled with the threat of several inches of rain, has officials working to shore up flood defenses.

5. COMBO OF SNOW, WIND INCREASES RISK FOR WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES

The superstorm brings two possibilities for knocking out electricity. For one, hurricane-force winds of at 74 mph could send tree branches into power lines, or even topple entire trees and power poles. Those left standing could succumb to snow, which could weigh down still-leafy branches enough to also topple trees.

Associated Press

stargazingboi
10-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I am currently in the CT area and they have already started the list of evacuations that will be started tomorrow morning. The amount of rain they say will be dangerous, power outages for extended amount of time, and they have already stated they expect lives to be lost. Shelters have already started opening and the national guard have been activated and running drills. :glasses:

The storm is expected to last longer than others we have experienced in the past (normally they last 12 hours, this one is to run a course of 36 hours). This time last year we had snow that cancelled Halloween and it seems it will be cancelled once again. I feel bad for the kids on many levels, two years in a row sucks.:shithappens:

I'm not sure how worried I am about it. I think a little, I know the dogs are...been acting nutty and clingy today, but they are confused as they watched things be moved today and sense the storm I am sure.

I am lucky that when it hits I'll be home which is on a hill so water levels shouldn't effect my living space. I have candles and a grill. Its the afterwards I'm a tad concerned about. Since, I am in the middle of a move and need to be out of here for the first. This storm may cause issues in that area. :twitch:

I do hope everyone in the path finds a safe place to be and no harm comes to them in any form. My thoughts are with you all.

SmoothButch
10-27-2012, 03:54 PM
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Laerkin & I are in VA in the projected path of Sandy. We both filled up on gas yesterday. Today we took cash out, went grocery shopping, for us and the cats. Bought extra TP, bottled water, big trash bags, paper plates, paper towels, candles, cat litter, snacks, drinks etc. The laundry is done and the dishes are clean. The only thing I have left to do is secure the items in the yard. The drill is charged, iPad, phones are charged up and the air compressor is charged.

We aren't really worried but for the most part prepared.

Be safe!/FONT]

stargazingboi
10-27-2012, 04:58 PM
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Laerkin & I are in VA in the projected path of Sandy. We both filled up on gas yesterday. Today we took cash out, went grocery shopping, for us and the cats. Bought extra TP, bottled water, big trash bags, paper plates, paper towels, candles, cat litter, snacks, drinks etc. The laundry is done and the dishes are clean. The only thing I have left to do is secure the items in the yard. The drill is charged, iPad, phones are charged up and the air compressor is charged.

We aren't really worried but for the most part prepared.

Be safe!/FONT]

Thanks....you just reminded me I need to hit the ATM

Semantics
10-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm as ready as I can be. Stay safe everyone!

Too early to know for sure what this storm will do, but I believe there's no doubt that wherever it hits, it will be massive, it will be slow moving, and it will be messy.

Grocery stores are already crazy here. I picked up some extra gallons of water and non-perishable foods that don't involve cooking in case I lose power. Tried to pick the most healthy things I could.

Last year I lost power for 8 days in Irene, and then another 5 days in the Halloween storm. Three years ago I spent three days pumping 6 feet of water out of my basement. The news had coverage of my city mall under water. That was 4 days of no heat, no water, no electricity. I learned my lessons well.

I'd rather assume the worst but do so without over-panicking. Maybe I'm over-preparing but I'd rather have all my bases covered.

Things I did today:
* Removed everything from the yard that could become an 50 mph projectile into my windows
* Prepared to eat down as much of the frozen/refrigerated food as I can before the storm hits, so if I do lose power for days again, I won't throw out a ton of food
* Made sure I have plenty of clean drinking water for at least 4 days
* Stocked up the rest of the extra firewood in the garage so if I lose power, at least I can have fireplace heat
* Put all the candles, matches and flashlights in an easy place where I can find them. Also got out my old walkman and the batteries for that so I can listen to radio announcements via headphones if I need to.
* Put a flashlight in the car so if I lose power before I get home from work, I can find my way into and around the house to the other flashlights
* Started charging everything that needs to be charged.
* Got all my pumps, hoses and extension cords ready in the garage in case I get flooding again and need to pump water out.
* Started making lots of extra ice to fill the freezer and a cooler if I need to keep some food items on ice in a power outage.
* I don't have enough food in the fridge/freezer for it, but if I did, I would turn up the settings now to get them cooler.
* Filled up my gas tank, and some spare gas containers in the garage.
* Made sure I had a written list of phone numbers for friends in the area that can help me if I am stuck in case my cell phone dies.
* for the pets- I have a new bag of food and tons of clean litter.
* I double checked my evacuation kit and my medical kit, making sure I have everything I may need ready to go if I have to get the heck out of here.
* went to the library to pick up some good books.

Right before the storm I will..
* Unplug non-essential appliances in the event of a power surge
* Locate all of my shovels in the garage if this thing turns to snow
* make sure I have 4 days of clean clothes and towels in case I can't do laundry for days.

I don't see apple turnovers anywhere on those lists. :|

ButchEire
10-27-2012, 05:11 PM
We're plenty prepped with a few bottles of wine, a clean cock and plenty of lube. We're gonna ride out this bad boy.

Kobi
10-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Ready up this way. All the outdoor stuff is secured. All the provisions are at hand.....thanks to desd's list, I even bought stuff I dont normally buy like cheetos and cheez-its. Thanks d.

First time I ever had to go buy flashlights to fit my battery supply.

Tomorrow will just finish up the incidentals, start charging stuff, and start unplugging stuff.

And, forget about the storm until after football is over. Priorities ya know.

Corkey
10-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Surge protectors really work. Land lines folks for if the cell towers go down, they're like 5 bucks.
Everything but the steel grill is in the shed and storm windows are on and I can't fine 2 ...figures. Will search the shed tomorrow in the light.
They've taken down our advisory for tropical storm and we're waiting on the next advisory to come out.

The thunderstorms from the 1st storm have passed, and we may get some time before the next set, so perhaps we'll be spared some flooding.

funkyfemme
10-27-2012, 05:46 PM
We're plenty prepped with a few bottles of wine, a clean cock and plenty of lube. We're gonna ride out this bad boy.

Awwwwww honey!!! You and your preparedness. You take such good care of me!

Oh wait...did you pick me up some D batteries??????

cinnamongrrl
10-27-2012, 06:34 PM

i soooooooo thought i read that wrong....but nope....it says cock.....lol
happy trails....::wine:

Dance-with-me
10-27-2012, 07:42 PM
LMAO! Love it!

Of course what this tells me is that wherever I end up riding out the storm, I should avoid crashing with a couple who might want to RIDE this out in their own special way... ;)

Medusa
10-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Worried about folks but glad to see that you all are taking precautions.

Remember that comfort food like chocolate can go a long way for your mood if you get caught without power.
Get some cards and magazines and books to stay occupied!

I hope like hell this storm takes a last minute turn and by some miracle doesn't dump hell on everyone.

Julie
10-27-2012, 08:13 PM
We are prepared here. Have the generator ready to go... They say for us, this will be the worst storm since the 30's. Of course I am concerned, but happy I am prepared for this one. Tomorrow all the deck furniture will be moved to under the deck.

Hopefully everybody is will be safe and please be smart.

princessbelle
10-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Thoughts with anyone in harms way...

Stay safe out there!!!! Don't forget the extra batteries. No telling when some will get power back on.

Wishing everyone safety and that Sandy goes out to sea quickly!!!!

BullDog
10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Stay safe everyone! And those in the path, please keep checking in when you can so we know you are ok.

BrutalDaddy
10-27-2012, 08:59 PM
500 more miles to go until I reach Distribution Center which will put me smack dab in middle of it. Lol.

Am hoping it will take a last minute turn too and not just for my sake but for everyone who will be in it's path.

Keeping Fingers Crossed,
Brute.

easygoingfemme
10-27-2012, 09:05 PM
I feel like by tomorrow I'll have a better idea of what to expect.
I lucked out during Irene. I had a foot of flooding, but that was nothing compared to many towns just a few miles from me. Our farms are just scratching the surface of recovering from major disasters last year and I worry more for them than I do for myself.

I'll be bringing in my lawn furniture, have food in the house, need to get some batteries. I landlord a house with two apartments so I'm trying to make sure they are ready too, having lawn furniture in, etc.

Think I'll use the morning tomorrow to finish catching up on laundry. The freezing bags of water idea was great- thanks for that. I can do that.

The kid and I both have a stack of books from the library, head lamps, and a dog to keep us warm.

Think I'll be good...

Hollylane
10-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I don't want to over-dramatize the situation...Gaige is still unconcerned, she's groovy cool like that...I'm reading more about it, and not liking what I am seeing. Working for the power company in Portland has me thinking about extended power and communication outages...

GreeneyedMe
10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/69509_10151271191720792_1408068730_n.jpg

clay
10-27-2012, 11:09 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/69509_10151271191720792_1408068730_n.jpg

Saying prayers and holding positive thoughts for everyone of the people in those areas....this is huge...WOW!!....:vigil:

clay
10-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I wanted to add into things to get stocked up on...
EXTRA MEDICINES ( Rx'ed and OTC)
ATM for CASH...have plenty on hand if possible, esp. IF power outages in your area!!!

It is of comfort to see everyone taking the precautions, stockpiling, and doing the stuff to prepare!!!

Big hugs...please all check in and let us know you are all safe!!!...:candle:

Dance-with-me
10-28-2012, 12:03 AM

If you're a hurricane/nor'easter virgin, please please please stay completely away from The Weather Channel and weather.com, as well as away from local news stations except to find out thing such as closings, local government declarations, etc. graphics such as this ine are a perfect example of the extreme degree that those places will sensationalize tpepwhat is going on, because they will make more money if they can scare the crap out of you and keep you glued to their channel.

Instead go directly to the national hurricane canter and get the real updates - www.nhc.noaa.gov. Wunderground.com is also good at not sensationalizing it, and I regularly read Dr. Jeff Matthews blog for analysis (link on first page). Yes, this is a potentially serious storm, but no need to try and figure out what's really going in from the company that has been caught with some of their reporters pretending to be struggling against a stein wind for the camera!

Dance-with-me
10-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Don't forget pet food!

If you have a well, or you are in an area that uses pumped water instead of a gravity-based system, fill the tub full with water in addition typo the drinking water that you have saved, because you may need that for flushing your toilet.

Once the storm starts, nplug ALL non-critical electronics and appliances. It's not lightning that present the bigges risk, it's power fluctuations and "brown outs" which are common in big storms.

If you are a multi cell phine house, if the power goes out, keep only one on at a time and really conserve the battery in that one. If you have a land-line and don't already have a regular corded phone that doesn't have to be plugged in, get one.

Fill a cooler with ice and put your "can't live without these things" essentials In it, then if the power goes out, do not open your fridge/freezer for any reason! also helps to completely pack your freezer with ice - just fill up a bunch of plastic containers, water/soda bottles, or anything else that will hold water

If you have kids there, think through in advance about games and activities. Buy several things for them that you can pull out one at a time while the weather is out to help alleviate boredom and stress.

Buy nutella and wine. ;)

easygoingfemme
10-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Dang. I do not have nutella or wine!
Have pet food but should probably get more.
I don't know, I look at one report and we're going to get blasted and another and we're going to be on the outskirts.
Hard to say.

Stay safe everyone!

Dance-with-me
10-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Dang. I do not have nutella or wine!
Have pet food but should probably get more.
I don't know, I look at one report and we're going to get blasted and another and we're going to be on the outskirts.
Hard to say.

Stay safe everyone!

This is the Current projected tracking map, showing it coming through there as tropical storm. Looks like it wouldn't hurt to be fairly well prepared.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201218_5day.html

Kobi
10-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Been tracking with the NHC as well. Seems they havent changed much in the forecast or the projected path. Speed is picking up as expected. Still expected to make a dramatic hook west just south of here. High wind warnings and coastal flooding warnings are up here.

Am used to nor'easters and tropical storms. Have been having a lot of wind storms lately so much of the weakened tree stuff has already fallen. The leaves have been dropping like crazy all week long.

Living on the coast, you always adhere to the old beliefs (which this storm seems determined to blow right out of the water - no pun intended):

1. the water isnt warm enough to sustain a hurricane. Going to have to rethink that one. LOL.

2. follow the lead of the fishermen. They hunkered down days ago.

3. the east side (right) has the higher winds, the west side (left) has more rain.

A hurricane is a whirling mass of thunderstorms that spins counterclockwise. As a hurricane moves, the wind on its right side blows in the direction of the storm's motion. That means a hurricane packing 100 mph winds and moving at 20 mph has a combined wind of 120 mph on that side of the storm. It also means that the forward motion of 20 mph takes away from the opposing wind on the left side of the storm: 100 mph - 20 mph = 80 mph. In this example, that's a 40 mph difference in wind from one side of the storm to the other. The forward motion has no effect on the wind in the front or rear part of the hurricane.

While storm surge generally occurs in the center of a hurricane, higher waves and the onshore wind in the right side of the storm can worsen the surge there. Also, tornadoes are most likely in the right-front part of a hurricane, which makes the right side that much worse.

If landfall is as expected, we will be on the right side of this. Thus heavier wind and nasty storm surges. The bridges to the mainland have to be closed (for safety sake) when wind gusts hit 70 mph. Thus, they should close by mid morning tomorrow.

4. trust your gut. My gut says it will be nasty but ok. And, I really really dont need that hair cut thats scheduled for tomorrow LOL.

------

Dont know about anyone else but like Alex, I believe in overpreparing. Having an all electric house will do that. :|

I also fill all the pots with water in case the water supply is interrupted or becomes tainted. And fill the tub in case it is needed for flushing.

Be safe people. And dont forget to check in. We do worry about ya.

Alex stay above the waterline. I saw Warwick under water with that storm. I grew up in RI and never saw that kind of flooding. Didnt even know there was a river back there. Refurbished mall looks great tho.

easygoingfemme
10-28-2012, 06:13 AM
This is the Current projected tracking map, showing it coming through there as tropical storm. Looks like it wouldn't hurt to be fairly well prepared.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201218_5day.html

Thanks babe :)

LeftWriteFemme
10-28-2012, 11:16 AM
60ZfGd3zbvw

Kobi
10-28-2012, 11:29 AM
OK I am back from checking out the coastline and inland areas. Someone remind me NOT to do that again. LOL.

Sandy is a good 700 miles from here. High tide was about 1.5 hours ago.

The Atlantic side is already looking quite angry with lots of whitecaps and impressive waves. The wind is sustained at a good 25-30 mph already. The water level is up some 20 feet from where it should be on the beach.

The bay side is calmer. Water is choppy and flowing east to west rather than north to south which was a little unsettling. Wind is maybe 10-15 mph with higher gusts now and then.

The marshes are worrisome. They usually contain the overflow water well and at high tide they flood densely but are contained within their borders. It is odd to see the marsh overflow water up to street level when the tide is receding.

The updated forcast is still for the sharp turn to the west at NJ/NYC. Hurricane force winds are expected up the coast to Chatham. Tropical storm winds from Chatham northward. I live one town over from Chatham. Think Sandy will know to knock the winds down when she crosses the property line?

The EBS is issuing warning and alerts at regular intervals on tv. Ferry service has been suspended. Schools and general activities are cancelled. A state of emergency has been declared.

Im thinking I am going to need more chocolate. Maybe a chocolate fondue laced with valium into which I can dunk some thorazine would be nice.

This is going to be very ugly. Have to admit while standing on the beach, I had a flashback to Jaws where Roy Scheider said...."we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Mr. Moon
10-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Looks like I'm in for a real messy week....
Generator is out, and ready, got gas, food enough I think, got rid of possible flying objects, got beer.... LOL

This truly looks ugly.
-Mr. Moon

durrrrrrrr
10-28-2012, 11:34 AM
y'all be careful and stay safe.

Sunny
10-28-2012, 11:37 AM
I am down the Jersey shore and in its path. The winds whipping up. Hope to God it misses us and all are safe. I will give updates.

ruffryder
10-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Stay safe everyone! And those in the path, please keep checking in when you can so we know you are ok.

Thanks Bully! Yes everybody, come into here when you can. Let us know how it is in your neck of the woods. Keep us all informed about the storm and your safety. Peace and Thanks!

Corkey
10-28-2012, 11:46 AM
We're just having the rain so far, which will increase our flooding chances. We ourselves should be high n dry but the lakeshore will flood. They are estimating the waves will reach 20 to 25 feet, yes feet. The Canadian side will feel the brunt of the waves.

iridium
10-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Just my opinion, but this storm is being over hyped. Last I checked, this storm is cat 1, to be degraded to tropical storm soon after it makes landfall. The intensity of Sandy doesn't belong in the same conversation as the historic cat 5 hurricanes like Katrina or the hurricane of 38 that were cat 3 at landfall. These were legitimate super storms. Sustained wind intensity for Sandy at landfall is expected to be half that of the above mentioned storms. Due to the unusually large width of this storm's center it will affect more people and cause more flooding and downed power lines than the usual tropical storm. (few roofs blown off or buildings leveled as one would see in a cat 3-5) From one persons vantage point, it won't be any different than Isaac of last year (which was also cat 1) other than the fact that it will take much longer for thinned out resources to reestablish infrastructure (downed power lines etc).

ruffryder
10-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I do not think FrankenSandy is being "over hyped." I think people are taking precautions for whatever this storm brings! Most times, the worst is after the storm with the flooding, shifting of ground, and power/electrical problems. I haven't heard anyone compare it to Katrina, Issac, other hurricanes. They are calling it a "superstorm" from what I have heard based on the facts that it will be reuniting with warm ocean waters and a wintery and frigid front from two different directions. That in itself is reason to worry, not to mention millions of people will be affected in this area and will feel the effects of it and will cost billions of dollars to get the places affected back to normal after the storm. It may come to pass, all of it, but you never know. Again, be prepared and be safe everybody. Don't underestimate a storm of this significance' power. It has already killed more than 20 people and it has not made landfall!

Corkey
10-28-2012, 12:30 PM
I think anytime there is a real threat of power outages, flooding, high winds that preparedness needs to happen. Sitting around doing nothing isn't going to help. It may not effect everyone the same, but it will have consequences if one doesn't take some actions for their situation. I lived in earthquake shake n bake CA. Now I live where it is cold n wet. Different situations, same effect, power outages.

diamondrose
10-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Living in coastal south east 99% of my life, hurricanes/tropical storms are always unpredictable and I never under estimate them.

I am sending my best to everyone who will be directly hit by hurricane Sandy.

Glenn
10-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Yes. Unpredictable should be the #1 operative. Folks; if you have or know anyone who has major health issues, or could be at risk during this storm, ambulances may not get through. So please make plans to evacuate, or call your MD., or local hospital, fore dept., to ask for their advice. Better safe than sorry.

Mr. Moon
10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
First limb down off the half dead tree in front....couldn't get it taken down before this storm hit! It didn't hit house or cars....

They're evacuating (voluntarily at this point) Havre de Grace. Gettin real I guess.

MissItalianDiva
10-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Hope everyone stays safe! Really relieved that Mayor Bloomberg decided to issue evacuation orders for some areas...hoping he reconsiders and does the same for LI and SI if needed.

Julie
10-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Just my opinion, but this storm is being over hyped. Last I checked, this storm is cat 1, to be degraded to tropical storm soon after it makes landfall. The intensity of Sandy doesn't belong in the same conversation as the historic cat 5 hurricanes like Katrina or the hurricane of 38 that were cat 3 at landfall. These were legitimate super storms. Sustained wind intensity for Sandy at landfall is expected to be half that of the above mentioned storms. Due to the unusually large width of this storm's center it will affect more people and cause more flooding and downed power lines than the usual tropical storm. (few roofs blown off or buildings leveled as one would see in a cat 3-5) From one persons vantage point, it won't be any different than Isaac of last year (which was also cat 1) other than the fact that it will take much longer for thinned out resources to reestablish infrastructure (downed power lines etc).

Anytime there is threat of death or destruction from a storm - there is nothing hyped about it. People have already lost their lives due to this storm. Let's not let their deaths be in vain by saying it is hyped, please. I don't care if it turns into a rain shower - we will be prepared and the potential for lost lives is lessened.

That is my take!

I am prepared. Generator working / Gas / Food and the pups have plenty of fresh bottled water to last them a week.

Everybody stay safe.

Julie

LadyRieinAL
10-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Hope everyone stays safe - water is some pretty damanging stuff - the winds may not be that bad, but flood waters do kill -
Agape
'Rie

SmoothButch
10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
We just filled two spare gas cans, bought two bags of ice and two bags of charcoal for the grill.

Going to pick up a corded phone tomorrow, we have landline service just need a cheap phone (thx Corkey)

The outside items are secured...and tomorrow we will fill up the tub full of water and unplug the tv/cable/computer.

I'm off tomorrow but Laerkin has to work. Thankfully, we both are only 15 minutes from our jobs.

Thank you all for the positive thoughts....take care everyone.

Kobi
10-28-2012, 03:37 PM
All I know is when the EBS is coming on every hour with warnings, I listen.

When the town auto calling tree is activated with warnings, shelter locations, who to call with power outages and fallen trees blocking roads, and telling me what to do in case of this or that, I listen even harder.

When it is over and done with, we can judge whether it was overblown or not. As long as I am in its path, I'm listening.

add: This is probably the only time men can tell me what to do and I listen. Maybe I do have a submissive side. LOL. Dont even go there.

Dance-with-me
10-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Conference cancelled finally - no big surprise. Now trying to decide whether to suck it up and go home or crash elsewhere - need to decide by morning though, or I'm not going to be able to go anywhere! I was actually looking forward to being in a hotel through this, dangit! EGF, wish you were closer, I'd show up on your doorstep with nutella and wine! :)

-Red-Flag-
10-28-2012, 03:45 PM

When the town auto calling tree is activated with warnings, shelter locations, who to call with power outages and fallen trees blocking roads, and telling me what to do in case of this or that, I listen even harder.

When it is over and done with, we can judge whether it was overblown or not. As long as I am in its path, I'm listening.

You take care of you Kobi, ... Dont put yourself in harms way...

See you on the other side..

Kobi
10-28-2012, 04:08 PM
You take care of you Kobi, ... Dont put yourself in harms way...

See you on the other side..

Leave a candle in the window. I figure with 80 mph winds, I should be there by noon. You got pizza?

stargazingboi
10-28-2012, 04:14 PM

exactly...when its over we will know for sure if it was "hyped" or not. I listen and write down the info just in case.

Right now as I look at the nat'l storm cast it shows while out to sea it has built to an major hurricane..winds over 110 mph. When it hits land it will reduce and slow down. The reason its such a concern for many is that another front is being shown to move in pushing Sandy and keeping it here longer than usual. The rains itself will cause water level issues for many.

In the area where it is scheduled to hit is full of trees.Which causes the lovely down wires, damage to homes, roads being blocked, and of course that is where the major concerns come into play. People get stuck, rescue crews can not get to locations, etc.

Last year at this time we got hit with several feet of snow and no power for over a week in cold freezing weather. Then the storm that followed several months later caused even more damage and even longer time frame of no power (some over 2 weeks). It is because of this that people in these parts have an eyebrow raised and are prepping. Is it hyped up? not sure.

so, yeah I listen..and after if its no big deal we'll chuckle about it and what not, but for now..better safe than sorry.

-Red-Flag-
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Leave a candle in the window. I figure with 80 mph winds, I should be there by noon. You got pizza?

I am like motel 6 .. I will leave the light on for you... I am not even sure how we will fair.. I am right on the cusp.. of getting it or not.. Its a wait and see situation for us.. where I am.

Girl_On_Fire
10-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm on the East Coast too, in Connecticut, and they've already cancelled school for my little cousin for Monday and Tuesday so they're definitely taking this seriously. We went grocery shopping today and the stores were madhouses. We're got some food, water, and plenty of firewood. Stay safe everybody!

easygoingfemme
10-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Yup, best to be prepared.
Last year the "tropical storms" took out major roadways, bridges, and small towns all around me and that passed through much more quickly than what we are expecting over the coming week. My immediate area did not have much power loss but just miles from me folks were without for up to two weeks. It's a big strain on hospitals and assisted living facilities. The combination of potential wind, rain, and snow, if it happens, will indeed cause mass damages.

I just had to break it to my tenant that her pellet stove will not work if the electric goes out. She assumed if she lit it by hand that it would work. :| I am ever so glad we had that conversation.

Nomad
10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
well i'm surrounded. people panicking. people not panicking. i'm not much of a panic-driven person myself. i've prepared. the rest is up to the storm and the building i live in and the trees in neighboring yards that should have come down years ago. this is my first hurricane and all i can think is "will there be zombies?" and if so, "how many weaker victims than myself can i throw in their way?" i have to rely on devious intelligence to stay alive if there are going to be zombies. i'm not built for speed.

:| <=== throwing in a face for good measure

Girl_On_Fire
10-28-2012, 06:54 PM
well i'm surrounded. people panicking. people not panicking. i'm not much of a panic-driven person myself. i've prepared. the rest is up to the storm and the building i live in and the trees in neighboring yards that should have come down years ago. this is my first hurricane and all i can think is "will there be zombies?" and if so, "how many weaker victims than myself can i throw in their way?" i have to rely on devious intelligence to stay alive if there are going to be zombies. i'm not built for speed.

:| <=== throwing in a face for good measure

I don't think they'll be zombies. No self-respecting zombie is going to be out in that kind of weather. ;)

Dance-with-me
10-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I think we need a hurricane drinking game and an online party for everyone who is affected by Sandy but still has power or a functioning cell phone. :)

easygoingfemme
10-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Okay but I'll have to go get some alcohol. And I'm a lightweight so I'll only be able to play for about an hour and then I'll be passed out for the rest of the storm.
But count me in!

LipstickLola
10-28-2012, 07:37 PM
I'd rather be over-prepared than under....

The area where I live was hit hard in June by a durecho, over a million homes without power for days on end, another powerful storm two days later to add to the bedlum. There are still many trees and heavy limbs weakened by summer storms that could be problematic to power lines with this new storm. My area is in for blizzard warnings over the next two days, Sandy will meet up with a blast of arctic air from Canada to create a different kind of havoc, so we are as ready as we can be for possible power outages and travel issues.

Praying for everyone here to be safe!
:vigil:

Medusa
10-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey East Coasters-

Can y'all check in? Just let us know what you see outside your window!

LeftWriteFemme
10-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Well my school is closed Monday and Tuesday......the weather folks say the major rain dump will be over my house 7-10 inches. should be fun!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMeHhQxNmFPiuzm2N5SCxgN5M53NL5a MPYvVnfbCzCmKk2DIgc

-Red-Flag-
10-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Hey East Coasters-

Let me go and look ..... not a star in the sky and dead calm..

Corkey
10-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Still raining, lakeshore flood warnings are up. The Bay's gonna get pummeled.

Nomad
10-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey East Coasters-

right now there's a guy peeing in the alley and some people yelling at him for peeing in the alley. there's also the guy who talks to the newspaper box at the deli on the corner. sometimes he comes to the alley to sing KumByYah at the top of his lungs. it's the acoustics, i imagine. nice voice, actually.

Medusa
10-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Some of y'all are smartasses!! LOLOLOL!!

Corkey
10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Some of y'all are smartasses!! LOLOLOL!!

Only some, we're slippin'...

The_Lady_Snow
10-28-2012, 08:00 PM
I am on the phone with my Ma, my brother lives in Maryland, he works at the power plant he'll go in tonight and be on lock down for three days.

RockOn
10-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Sherrie, that is a beautiful weather photo. Was it taken tonight?

BrutalDaddy
10-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Sitting in bunk of Ursula in Brookville, PA at the moment. Company wants us to not drive at night for time being so I'll be here till morning. Right now pretty calm except for the gusty winds blowing. Earlier though it was raining hard.

And It's Cold As Hell,
Brute.

RockOn
10-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Nomad's post is cracking me up! :)

-Red-Flag-
10-28-2012, 08:06 PM
right now there's a guy peeing in the alley and some people yelling at him for peeing in the alley. there's also the guy who talks to the newspaper box at the deli on the corner. sometimes he comes to the alley to sing KumByYah at the top of his lungs. it's the acoustics, i imagine. nice voice, actually.

I got nothing, not even a dog barking, I am slightly jealous ..

Nomad
10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
I got nothing, not even a dog barking, I am slightly jealous ..

i can send you peeing guy if you like but i refuse to give up singing guy. he's amazing and when he talks to the NYT box i feel like i dont really need the paper because he sums up the state of the world pretty accurately.

-Red-Flag-
10-28-2012, 08:33 PM
i can send you peeing guy if you like but i refuse to give up singing guy. he's amazing and when he talks to the NYT box i feel like i dont really need the paper because he sums up the state of the world pretty accurately.

I am good, I dont need peeing guy .. really, you'd send me peeing guy..

Kobi
10-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Is dark, rainy, windy, leaves and debris on deck, definate chill in the air. Neighbors cat on doormat.

Thought I saw a zombie but it was just my reflection. Hoping that wasnt a premonition. :blink:

femmedyke
10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Hey friends (not counting peeing alley guy)

Piscean and I are in the mountains of Western Mass. We're as prepared as we can be, with warnings of high winds and power outages in ours and surrounding counties. They have already cancelled classes for all of public schools for the next two days. Today we loaded up on gas and the essentials, tidied the house and my beloved, amazing gal that she is made a large Sunday dinner as well as many other freezeable/reheatable meals for the week. (SCORE!) When we lose power we lose our water supply so we've stocked up and plan on filling the tub tomorrow morning/evening for emergency flush supply in case (and I really hope it doesn't!) it goes out. Stocked up on firewood, candles and have all the flashlights ready.

I just took the pup out for her nightly quick pee and it's awfully chilly. Misting and the full moon energy is quite palpable. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but I'm keeping you all in my thoughts.

(got my beer for said drinking game ;) )

xo fD

Martina
10-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Good luck, people.

spritzerJ
10-29-2012, 03:45 AM
Hey East Coasters-

Portsmouth NH reporting... It is still dark. We have Monday off from school. Heavy rains and winds expected Monday afternoon. Steady winds and steady rain right now.
Leaves... clogging, slippery leaves everywhere.

Power outages are very common here. So I'll finish looking supply gathering this morning.

I am hoping that Halloween trick or treating gets moved to Wednesday.

Chancie
10-29-2012, 04:44 AM
Western Mass reporting . . . I just fed Bella and took her out for a peepee. School is cancelled today, but it's just cold and a little windy here, maybe a bit of drizzle. So far, it's hard to see why everyone's panicking. Pete has to work, and I am sure they won't send her home early.

tantalizingfemme
10-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Lots of rain... wind is picking up. I am watching the tops of my trees swaying and I keep trying to convince them to sway away from the house..... they aren't listening.

My gutters are full of leaves so the water is pouring over the top...

My property is wetlands so the back yard is starting to flood and the creek at the back of the woods is almost to the top. I am just waiting for the sump pump to start. I even went down to the pump to make sure I remembered how to make it empty if the power goes out. (I really need a back up battery)

But in all in all, everything is good and I am ready. I hope everyone stays safe!

eta: The Governor has just ordered a Level 2 driving ban....only Essential Personnel.

Little Fish
10-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Philadelphia checking in--

Last night the Mayor closed the city down and we were ordered to shelter in place. The temp is dropping, the rain is still light and sporadic. I'm going to venture out for a few more things, come back and then batten down the hatches. Good luck all--

Sunny
10-29-2012, 06:09 AM
I am near Atlantic City NJ. They evacuated them yesterday. Right now at 800am the winds are strong 25-30 miles per hour. Raining hard all night and windy. I am getting ready for work. My place never closes. LOL I will be there till at least 7pm. I will check in if we have power when I reach home tonight. It should be a long and interesting day. I cannot wait for all the insane people to expect the impossible. LOL They should really do a reality show. Be safe all. Signing out for now.

dykeumentary
10-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Brookyn here:

Brooklyn is silent. I've never experienced silence on one the busiest streets in one of the busiest neighborhoods like the quiet this morning. Eerie.

Teddybear
10-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Central Mass here...just rain and some wind thus far....Teddy and I both have to work. We're hoping it doesn't get terribly bad before this evening. I won't get home til 11pm. Later if there's limbs down. I'm just glad it's not like last years snow....

cinnamongrrl
10-29-2012, 06:12 AM
oops...I did it again...lol the above was supposed to be me..... im not awake yet y'all....

:moonstars:

LaDivina
10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Central Mass. here, too. Both of our offices (Boston and Cambridge) are closed today, so we're working from home. So far it's a regular rainy-windy day.

Kobi
10-29-2012, 06:57 AM
South coast of Ma here....

Wind is blustery, is raining, leaves and pine needles all over the place, few small branches down. Brunt wont hit here until noonish.

Went into town and drove around. Is eerily quiet out there. Few cars. Little signs of life. No zombies yet but my bass loving neighbor is cruising for me to turn him into one before the day is over.

On a positive note, this is a heavily republican town. Kind of cute to watch the Romney/Ryan signs flying down the street.

Julie
10-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Hudson Valley, NY.
There is not a bird in a tree to be heard, except for the the birds who have found refuge in their home in my A/C units.. I can hear them scurrying.

Quiet - really quite. Not a leaf blowing, yet the sky looks as if it is changing. Truly CALM!

Julie

Gaige
10-29-2012, 07:23 AM
znYnJVKiWBI------p3MXnnuXyN0

I took this at 7am this morning. So far it's mild....rain and light winds.

girl_dee
10-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Hudson Valley, NY.
There is not a bird in a tree to be heard, except for the the birds who have found refuge in their home in my A/C units.. I can hear them scurrying.

Quiet - really quite. Not a leaf blowing, yet the sky looks as if it is changing. Truly CALM!

Julie

Yaknow AFTER Katrina this was the one thing i noticed. No birds, just quiet. i guess they all get the hell outta dodge.

DapperButch
10-29-2012, 07:24 AM
So I leave TF's late in the evening last night because the word was that my office was open today and I didn't want to cancel on my clients (I live less than 10 minutes from work).

When I get home, I see I got a text and phone call no more than 5 minutes into my half hour journey home that my office was closed! Grrrr...

So, I got up early this morning and made the trek back to TF's house. Although my very, very large weeping willow that is bigger than my house has already grown to the point of touching it (I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I have plans to get it removed...it is just to costly to keep getting it trimmed every year!), I realized that there was nothing I could do if it fell into the roof anyway, and my neighbors will call me/911, if it happens! :firetruck:

So, everytime TF brings up her trees, I worry about my tree (that recently has had limbs coming down during storms)!

Actually, I tend to be more optimistic than worried during dangerous weather....probably more than I should be.

Parker
10-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Hurricane Sandy on the night of a full moon .... if I was a superstitious person .....

Also - this is ALL over the news here in Seattle - it is the biggest story and they come back with updates like every 15-20 minutes. They keep saying it's bigger than Irene and to not think this is all hype, to take it seriously (they are talking about it right now in the other room as I type this!).

I will be keeping an eye via places like the news and threads like these because my family (in and around Reading, PA) are not huge with the FB updates.

Stay safe everyone! :)

easygoingfemme
10-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Checking in Albany area NY
Birds still singing but it is getting blustery. No rain yet. I think we're about 3 hours away from the beginning.

The_Lady_Snow
10-29-2012, 07:35 AM
http://www.disabilityactionwf.com/domains/disabilityactionwf.org.uk/local/images/stay-safe-logo.png

DapperButch
10-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Holy crap in a bucket: Expected accumulative rainfall for my area is almost 13" -- right at the center of this diagram, highest for any place along the storm path. We normally get around 45" of rain PER YEAR.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoom/Rainfall_Days_1-5.gif

WE may be crapping in a bucket in the basement if this gets bad!

NJFemmie
10-29-2012, 07:50 AM
South Jersey update:

Noon time seems like it will be the moment of truth in this area.
Winds are picking up, so far rain is light/moderate.
Have candles, flashlights, pet food, people food, water, yadda yadda.

I am beyond pissed that Mare's store (which is non essential) is expected to be open today, and I am BEGGING Her to stay home and leave it in the hands of people who live closer to the store than She does. I just love corporate greed. :/

I am not usually nervous when it comes to storms, but this one is making me anxious. It's one thing when it comes in fast and moves out just as fast, but this one is going to linger.

Please stay safe and stay inside.

DapperButch
10-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Northern DE update:

Storm is supposed to hit us hardest at 4:00pm.

Dance-with-me
10-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Checking in from Baltimore. The friend I'm staying with didn't really do any preparations so I'm getting ready to head out in search of coffee, ice, a lighter, and wine. I'm also doing it just to get one last chance to get out of the house before it gets worse here. Right now it's just a rainy windy day, but the core of the storm is still hundreds of miles and 16 hours away.

ruffryder
10-29-2012, 08:30 AM

hehehe. . later on his pee will be frozen and his cahones may be falling off, as for the newspaper box, maybe it will be located a few miles down the street, and the guy singing kumbayah may be signing something else about oh sh*t and not be so happy.. hehe. So, maybe you will have a peaceful, quiet night and not be so entertained Nomad, cept for the wind and rain sounds. Better get prepared for that drinking game. Good luck!

Okay but I'll have to go get some alcohol. And I'm a lightweight so I'll only be able to play for about an hour and then I'll be passed out for the rest of the storm.
But count me in!

.. good thing about that, is when you wake up again it may be all over?

Has or Is anyone evacuating at this point or is everyone pretty much staying inside and hunkering down ?

Be safe and stay warm everybody!

ruffryder
10-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Birds are getting quiet, animals are sensing the storm coming and NY will be shutting down Wall Street, NYSE, and the subway and transportation system. They are calling Sandy a "100 year storm" now and one of the worst storms in history.

Ginger
10-29-2012, 08:59 AM
My part of Brooklyn is okay but they evacuated Red Hook, Coney Island and the Far Rockaways yesterday, as well as part of Lower Manhattan. Governor Cuomo just had a press conference, and kept saying, "Don't underestimate this storm." They're saying now, that it will be worse than Hurricane Irene, which caused evacuations and hit last summer when I was in Ecuador.

I'm sitting here with my outdoor furniture and bicycle stacked in the livingroom, since we all had to clear off our balconies. It's just windy out, and occasionally a weird structural noise will happen, or a white plastic bag will go floating up near my windows, which is sort of unnerving since I'm on the 9th floor.

Gaige
10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
rain and wind picked up a little around 10:30 am

eqpG98WNCCA

MissItalianDiva
10-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Hope everyone is staying safe. I talked to some friends in LI and near Cape May NJ this morning both are saying things are getting a bit worrisome thus far. Flooding etc...everyone will be in my thoughts

easygoingfemme
10-29-2012, 10:08 AM
It's getting dark and blustery here.
I just went to go run one last errand and it's an interesting dynamic out there. Lots of folks shopping in their pajamas, calm, interesting.
Schools just closed. I live right on a river so I went and took pictures of the water levels so I can compare later. When Irene went through that was one of the things that put me in an evacuation zone- the locks and bridges were unstable and blowing out.
Now we wait and see. Trying to get as much work done as I can while I have power...

NJFemmie
10-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Still quiet here. Now it seems that later tonight will be the actual moment of truth. Closer to 6-8pm. This thing is crawling. The winds pick up and die down.

Good news is Mare gets to stay home. That is a huge load off my mind. The roads here are prone to flooding and since we live in the sticks of south jersey so to speak, there will be downed trees everywhere.

Once again, stay safe, be safe.

Ginger
10-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Folks in part of New Jersey, Long Island and of course low-lying parts of Brooklyn are much worse off than those in my immediate neighborhood, though my worry ratcheted up a tiny bit when I looked out my 9th-floor window and saw that some of the people in buildings across the street have criss-crossed tape on their windows, or cardboard.

They're closing the tunnels at 2 today; subways, busses and commuter trains were shut down last night.

The worse part will be around 8 tonight. High tide and the storm's peak are going to hit at the same time.

I'm watching sheets of rain move down the street. And I swear, there are white globs that look like snow falling on my balcony, but I know it must be something else. Trees are already falling.

It's easy to forget, I live on an island. But now I'm acutely aware of it.

Dance-with-me
10-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Just found out that a friend who lives in a very flood prone area with her three kids has decided NOT to evacuate despite evacuation orders. Now THAT just pisses me off -- she can decide that for herself, but her kids deserve not to go through that.

Ginger
10-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Mayor Bloomberg is live on TV urging people to leave the evacuated areas now, if they haven't done so already, while there is still a window of time in which they can safely move outside. "Conditions are deteriorating rapidly," he said.

alexri
10-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Connecticut is closing all interstate highways, including the Merritt Parkway, at 1 pm today. Power outages already reported.

Here in RI the heavy rains and winds are just starting. The storm will get more serious around 2 pm with the worst being around 8-10 pm tonight. I'm far enough away from the ocean that I am not worried about storm surges, but we are very worried about flooding here.

There are 12 to 15 ft waves hitting the beaches here. Coastal areas and low-level areas evacuated. I definitely expect to lose power tonight.

clay
10-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Holding all of you up in thoughts & prayers!! PLEASE stay safe!!! Thanks for the check ins.
I was texting with a friend in Balto...she lost landline already...left just with cell.
She said rain is coming down sideways and in torrents where she is..and real windy. I think late this evening is when Sandy is predicted to hit in her area..

Sparkle
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
It's getting blustery up in Western Mass now.

I'm cooking up everything perishable and about to have a very long hot shower lest we lose power later.

So far the forecast is predicting high winds and widespread power outages. The wind is usually to the right of the path of the storm, the heavy rains and flooding to the left. I'm really hoping we don't get hit with the heavy heavy rains, this region was ravaged with flash floods last year, the last thing those communities need is more of the same. But I did run to my office earlier (school is closed) to pull everything up from the floor - during Irene we discovered my office was the lowest point in the building after the local stream flooded, came up through the drains in the old mill building we're housed in and all of the water ran through the hallways and pooled in my office.

Stay safe and dry and warm - everyone!

MissItalianDiva
10-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Just got some pictures from my uncle who lives in SI and did not evacuate...smh hard headed. Does not look good at all.

Dance-with-me
10-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Holding all of you up in thoughts & prayers!! PLEASE stay safe!!! Thanks for the check ins.
I was texting with a friend in Balto...she lost landline already...left just with cell.
She said rain is coming down sideways and in torrents where she is..and real windy. I think late this evening is when Sandy is predicted to hit in her area..
Where is she in Baltimore? I'm in the city, and it's just a normal rain, breezy but definitely not anything torrential or sideways - more like a normal breezy rainstorm. If she's east of Baltimore, then perhaps that's what's on its way here?

Martina
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Wonder how Maryoosa is doing? I am not on Facebook anymore. If anyone knows, . . . I saw that her area of NY seems to be largely evacuated.

Julie
10-29-2012, 10:44 AM
The rain has just started... However -- 10 minutes from me and across the river an hour ago.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo187/sheisdesign/newburgh.jpg

MissItalianDiva
10-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Wonder how Maryoosa is doing? I am not on Facebook anymore. If anyone knows, . . . I saw that her area of NY seems to be largely evacuated.

She should have been evacuated she lives in the same area as my mother. Hope she is ok

WolfyOne
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Where is she in Baltimore? I'm in the city, and it's just a normal rain, breezy but definitely not anything torrential or sideways - more like a normal breezy rainstorm. If she's east of Baltimore, then perhaps that's what's on its way here?

I have a friend in Jessup that posted on her FB 5 hours ago, said it was wet and windy there then. Haven't heard a peep out of her since that post.

clay
10-29-2012, 10:59 AM
update on Balto area friend:
all major bridges closing in an hr. Heavy, driving rain and winds now!

princessbelle
10-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Gosh ya'll.

There are so MANY peeps here on this site that are in harms way.

We are sitting here watching the storm on CNN in our dry and warm house in Tennessee truly worried bout all of you.

Please know ALL of us here on the Planet are concerned for your safety and we REALLY care!!!!!

Please keep checking in!!!!

*hugs and candles lit for all of you!!!!

ruthie14
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I live in NJ close to the pa boarder, just over the river from Philly. We have had rain, hail, and wind. The ac boardwalk is distroyed. Ocean City peer...distroyed. Sandy suppose to hit between 6 and 8 pm. I am about an hour away from Ocean City. Still have power, but 7000 Ppl in NJ don't. Have water, ice and provisions. Battery operated radio, flashlights, candles, books and scrabble.. lol. Bella actually handling the storm well.

Kobi, Dance, and others near the shore be safe and get out of dodge!!! NOW!

Hold on to your panites it's gonna be a hell of a ride!

Ruthie

stargazingboi
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
The rain is getting heavier here and the winds are picking up pretty good over the course of the last 15 minutes.

I have found myself smirking at folks messages on the boards that they used to board up their windows such as the one below..

http://d8582d5cedd955e9e5aa-03d3c4c714d82348dd2fffe22c8983b2.r46.cf1.rackcdn.c om/d4626996-a9c5-4bde-95a0-9c7249b81cd3.jpg

and a line from the movie grease "sandy- sandy why-yi-yi-yi-yi oh sandy" on another one...so many more as you drive down the streets.

selves are empty and I mean empty

http://d8582d5cedd955e9e5aa-03d3c4c714d82348dd2fffe22c8983b2.r46.cf1.rackcdn.c om/92049151-9097-4959-8457-c1ed78646f03.jpg

waves have been coming in higher

http://videos.usatoday.net/Brightcove2/29906170001/2012/10/29906170001_1928955189001_1027dv-hurricane-sandy-update3-400x300.jpg?pubId=29906170001

flooding has started

http://www.trbimg.com/img-508e808f/turbine/hc-hurricane-sandy-20121026-011/600

oh and its already been reported that thousands here in CT are without power.....and we're just getting started...fun times :blink:

ruthie14
10-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Ocean city right now...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/63114_673522355476_1115261412_n.jpg

clay
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/state-state-look-east-coast-superstorm-111025193.html

clay
10-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I live in NJ close to the pa boarder, just over the river from Philly. We have had rain, hail, and wind. The ac boardwalk is distroyed. Ocean City peer...distroyed. Sandy suppose to hit between 6 and 8 pm. I am about an hour away from Ocean City. Still have power, but 7000 Ppl in NJ don't. Have water, ice and provisions. Battery operated radio, flashlights, candles, books and scrabble.. lol. Bella actually handling the storm well.

Ruthie

Stay safe, Ruthie!! I heart you girl!!!

JoSchmooze
10-29-2012, 12:06 PM
I just spoke with Scorp & LaDivinia.....
The rains have started there and they
JUST lost power, like seconds before I called.
The neighbor has a generator, they have a long extension
cord, so Scorp was going out to "plug in"...
Told her she needed her water wings!

Y'all in the path of Sandy.....
be safe out there!

:cigar2:

SmoothButch
10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
The wind is picking up with medium rain on the outskirts of NoVa.

The Governor said that Northern VA is going to get hit harder then originally thought.

An hour and a half west of us they have snow. Pretty wild.

dykeumentary
10-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Ruthie

Do you know when high tide on the Delaware is?

Corkey
10-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Erie checking in. Raining steadily for days now, winds picking up.
Line of thundershowers coming through in a few minutes. Have land line so we'll be able to stay in touch with each other. Ami has gone to work, hopefully she'll get to come home before the shit hits the fan.

easygoingfemme
10-29-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm taking a work break to watch Ivan Coyote videos while I still have power. Perhaps Ivan could be worked into DWM's drinking game. Drink every time you laugh or your heart skips a beat?

Still just dark and blustery here.

Dance-with-me
10-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm taking a work break to watch Ivan Coyote videos while I still have power. Perhaps Ivan could be worked into DWM's drinking game. Drink every time you laugh or your heart skips a beat?
Mmmmm. Woof.

BrutalDaddy
10-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Okay, company shut me down for the rest of the day in Buckhorn, PA. Wind and rain just too rough right now for me to drive in. Sooooo....online time!

Totally Gonna Take Advantage,
Brute.

P.S. Those who live in the path of Sandy, please take care of yourselves best you can. Y'all in 'sational's and mine's thoughts and prayers.

NJFemmie
10-29-2012, 01:26 PM
High tide is at 8pm - same time Sandy is expected to make landfall.

I keep looking out the window to see if the four horses have been released, but so far, just a bunch of leaves.

Hollylane
10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
rain and wind picked up a little around 10:30 am

eqpG98WNCCA

:|

Gaige is currently sleeping through this, and her webcam went off about an hour ago..I am frustrated and worrying...It is a busy day at work, so I am having a hard time keeping up with the news...yes, it is keeping me occupied, which is probably a good thing, but I wish I could pay closer attention.

I am anxiously awaiting her waking up for work, so that I can here her voice telling me that I am worrying over nothing.

Ginger
10-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Nothing really to report, just getting more intense out as we knew it would.

The pipe underneath my kitchen sink is gurgling. I have no idea what that's about. It's loud and I don't like it.

stargazingboi
10-29-2012, 01:56 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/487301_10151093911681230_1143102266_n.jpg

this was sent to me by my brother ....picture taken in MA

BrutalDaddy
10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Truck is starting to rock some. So this is what a baby in a bassinet (sp?) feels like.

In other news, the weather has screwed up my quallcomm/onboard computer so now it's turning itself on and off over and over and over again. Wouldn't be so bad except it loudly dings everytime it turns on.

Annoyed But Safe,
Brute.

ruffryder
10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
http://media.salon.com/2012/10/hurricane-sandy12-460x307.jpg

Novelafemme
10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/487301_10151093911681230_1143102266_n.jpg

this was sent to me by my brother ....picture taken in MA

Holy Shitballs!!

Mr. Moon
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Maryland here. 20 miles north of Baltimore, maybe another 30 to the MD PA/Jersey/Delaware lines. Weatherman just showed the eye of the storm move across the MD/PA line, reaching down to where I live. I didn't expect that....at all.

I still have power, although I don't know how.
These are huge winds! Still pouring rain.

Wow. Hunker down ya'll!
-Moonie

tantalizingfemme
10-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Sandy is getting much closer and my anxiety is going up.

(Don't tell Dapper, but I am obsessively watching my trees from the kitchen.) Someone once told me that if most of your trees are blowing in one direction, and you see a few twirling around, they are bad.... I keep watching, but they all look like they are twirling. I really don't mind until the huge gusts come and then they better twirl themselves away from the house. These gusts are crazy strong. Eek....

GreeneyedMe
10-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Raining steady here, windy, but not the brunt yet...she's definitely showing her out"skirts" to us. Hoping power gets us through the night at least....we will see...

StrongButch
10-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I just got a message from ocean (lynn mass) She has no power says trees are coming down everywhere. I will call her at 9pm this evening and keep you folks updated. She says it crazy. Let all say a prayer for those who are in this storms path. Be safe and if anyone gets destroyed if you want to come to Atlanta my home is open to you.

Kobi
10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Getting very ugly here on the Mass coast. Sustained winds, gusting into the 60's. Rain continuing. Lots of debris floating around. Think I just saw the cow from Twister go by.

Many roads closed due to debris and downed power lines. Lots of street flooding in the area. Ocean is up in the parking lots at the beaches. Piers are under water. Marshes are overflowing already and high tide isnt until 11pm.

Sounds like a shutter is banging. I am hoping it holds until the winds shift. Cant do much about it on the second floor anyway. Just dont want to see it go flying.

Glad I moved my beloved Altima. The tree it gets parked under is shedding pieces like crazy.

Power is holding but flickering now and then.

Whoever it was who said this storm was being overblown can come kiss my ass. Bring a big mac when you come. LOL.

Gonna be a long freakin night. I dont mind this during the daylight hours. But things going bump in the night is unsettling.

femmeandstrong
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
i bought a hairdryer , photo frames and some yummie gummies ... lol

and took some great pix outside of Mr Blustery... lol

and yea, light flickers now and then and leaves blowing all over... moderate rain...
but so far not all that bad...
rather nice to sit inside , have tea and ( I have to ) read through the book THE HOBBIT before it comes into the theaters...

stay safe u all

MegBluEyz
10-29-2012, 03:31 PM
I live in San Diego now but grew up in Greenwich Village NYC and Boston. Some of my family and friends are on the East Coast. please take care of yourselves and your neighbors. It is all about love now. My love and prayers are with you. Thank you all for your updates.

femmedyke
10-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Western Mass checking in... We're a ways away from the coast but still experiencing heavy winds + steady rain. I worry about all those on the coastline! My thoughts and juju to all...

I work at a community hospital about thirty minutes from home and our president sent all administrative staff home at three. The ride home was a wee bit harrowing in my jeep. When I got home I was so surprised that we had power. We lost it at some point during the day but... I am so grateful we haven't lost it for good. I've heated up some food, boiled some water and cranked the heat just in case we do lose it. I took some video if the turbines behind my office this morning but I'm unsure how to paste & share.

I'll feel much less anxious when my lover makes it home safe tonight.

Thinking of everybody, really wishing for the best!!

Luv
10-29-2012, 03:37 PM
fill your bathtubs up with water in case your water goes out,,this also comes in handy when u need to flush

Corkey
10-29-2012, 03:39 PM
We got a 30 gal tub at wally world, it's still filling... the plugs may not hold enough water for a weeks worth of water.

LaDivina
10-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Central Mass (near Worcester) again. We lost power for about 3 hours, but it's back now. Our neighbor went driving and said there was a huge tree that fell and knocked out the line. Hopefully it will stay on!

Lots of rain and wind, still, but we're at the top of a hill, so we aren't at risk of much flooding.

On the news they just showed a porta-potty on its side. LOL

BrutalDaddy
10-29-2012, 03:55 PM
http://media.salon.com/2012/10/hurricane-sandy12-460x307.jpg

You just made me spit drink as well as choke on it. ROTF!!!!! Did not expect that at all. Love it. Thanks!

Love That,
Brute.

-Red-Flag-
10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Maine, here ... about an hour and a half north of Boston, I just got home, but of course not with out for a drive to the beach, that's what we do during inclement weather, we go and check out the waves.. I was parked at the rocks adjacent to the beach.. I drive a 4Runner.. It was rocking back and forth.. I snapped a few pics that I threw on facebook. Right now... Its just heavy winds and rain.. Power is out sporadically in my town...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/247722_10151147710578753_538578641_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/182517_10151147643638753_1223388806_n.jpg

Heavenleahangel
10-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Upstate, NY near Albany here. We have rain coming down and the winds were forcing us to slow down on the road about an hour ago. Thank God we still have power. We emptied totes to fill with water as we are on a well and no power means no water which means no flushing! I also filled all of our pitchers, jugs and water bottles, bought the last 4 gallons of water on the shelf at Wal-Mart!
I was lucky to find extra batteries for the flashlights and radio. I also have a gas stove, so I can still cook and heat if need be and a gas grill. Please everyone say a prayer we will all be safe.

Nomad
10-29-2012, 04:08 PM
flickering power
sideways rain
wind like crazy
tree limbs crashing into the street
yup
just another blustery autumn day in the (413)

cinnamongrrl
10-29-2012, 04:09 PM
im working in w. mass and live in central ma. the power keeps going off here....i got a text from my mom, who lives in the same town as us..that the power was out. teddy said there were power lines down in the adjacent town. hoping just to make it home tonight. my mother seems to think im better off staying here with my client....and teddy has told me to get a room if its bad...im thinking of taking the highway home instead of the back roads....we shall see... fingers crossed....

:praying:

Ginger
10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Holy shit the wind suddenly got really intense. There's a leaf stuck to my bedroom window. On the 9th floor.

The flooding in other places is much worse.

Sachita
10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
southern VA- lots of rain, some sleeting and wind. I covered my fall/winter garden of greens because the temp says 39 tonight and having seen that change way too many times, I am playing it safe.

I think we will get snow tonight or tomorrow. I hope we don't lose power. I think we'll be ok.

I have my generator ready, 200 gallons of water for the animals, lots of food, etc. Even got dog coats for all the dogs in the event we lose power they won;t be cold.

always2late
10-29-2012, 04:16 PM
The storm has just hit land south of us in Atlantic City. I pray for all the people who refused to evacuate the shore and the barrier islands. I hope they remain safe through this.

-Red-Flag-
10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
im working in w. mass and live in central ma. the power keeps going off here....i got a text from my mom, who lives in the same town as us..that the power was out. teddy said there were power lines down in the adjacent town. hoping just to make it home tonight. my mother seems to think im better off staying here with my client....and teddy has told me to get a room if its bad...im thinking of taking the highway home instead of the back roads....we shall see... fingers crossed....

:praying:

Be safe in getting home if you try to get there.

stargazingboi
10-29-2012, 04:22 PM
here in CT it just turned dark as midnight within minutes. The wind is crazy, I went out on the balcony for a second and had a branch fly towards my head. I wasn't expecting that ..when I opened the sliding door it wasn't like that at all, change happened within seconds. :doh:

I'm thinking I may want to relocate my TV right about now, and get it away from that wall. Since, that's the wall where there are trees that have branches flying. :thinking:

Gaige
10-29-2012, 04:44 PM
This is just before 6 pm. Its about to come on shore soon so I need to get my ass to work. I don't want to be on the road when/if it gets ugly. The speed limit has been reduced to 40 mph on the highway so I will be taking it slow.

Ql6Frew1gqw

princessbelle
10-29-2012, 05:13 PM
http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/1798/1798339dvcpsfnkf1.gif (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

Linus
10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
So.. didn't take long.. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/hurricane-sandy-gays-same-sex-marriage-obama-romney_n_2038781.html

Of course, the whole idea that global warming, massive industry/pollution and wars wouldn't cause this kind of crap, would it?

DapperButch
10-29-2012, 05:27 PM
My mom is out of power, but that happens in every storm. Irene it was out for days. She has a generator and the neighbors all work together. It is something she has become accustomed to, I would say.

LeftWriteFemme
10-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Windy, windy, windy!!!!

stargazingboi
10-29-2012, 05:31 PM
So.. didn't take long.. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/hurricane-sandy-gays-same-sex-marriage-obama-romney_n_2038781.html

Of course, the whole idea that global warming, massive industry/pollution and wars wouldn't cause this kind of crap, would it?

there is always someone :wtf:

or how about the fact that we have had several earth quakes that have shifted the earth on its axis the amount of which usually takes hundreds of years...this wouldn't have anything to do with it...would it?

ruthie14
10-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Do you know when high tide on the Delaware is?

I think it's the same time...around now..

over 350,000 ppl in NJ without power.

starting to get the back end of the storm and wind. 85 mile an hour sustained winds.

Mom and I thankfully still have power.

Kobi
10-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Aa3WuxiGGgM

9LR_wCMFQ90

5u915gHai7c

-----

We have another hour or so of sustained winds with gusts in the 70-80 mph range expected. No one mentioned the freakin torrential downpours that started a bit ago.

Oh....and the funky cinema cancelled tonights showing of Night Of The Living Dead so the freakin zombies will be out wandering again. :|

Geez, it is always something.

NJFemmie
10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Wind is very unnerving. The lights keep flickering but so far we are holding our own. No water in the basement which is a miracle in itself. Keep hearing creepy sounds outside.

Since this storm is nowhere done, a lot can change overnight. Hoping we have power in the morning.

I have never seen so many leaves in my life. They are everywhere.

Corkey
10-29-2012, 06:40 PM
The winds are at full gail here. Still have power but that could change anytime between now and morning. Still watching the weather and Ami will be off in an hour, hope she gets here safely.

stargazingboi
10-29-2012, 06:47 PM
it was just reported that the hurricane has just switched over to a nor'easter...which mean the cold is pushing in now...some areas are under a blizzard watch.

over 500,00 people without power and Sandy just took the first CT life. A family lost power and was walking to a neighbors house when a tree fell on them. Two of the three had injuries and brought to the hospital..the third didnt make it. SO, PLEASE be careful...be safe!

LeftWriteFemme
10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
The sky just filled with green light......that's never a good sign.

PaPa
10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Here there are fuses/transformers or something that keeps blowing up on the poles - loud buzzing sounds and sparks flying everywhere. Within the last two hours it has happened about 10 times if not more. Each time the electric goes off, it stays off momentarily then comes back on within a couple minutes. I am going to head to bed after taking Ginger out one last time.

I pray for safety for those affected by this huge storm. Please try to be safe, dry, and warm while this passes over.

Girl_On_Fire
10-29-2012, 07:05 PM
We are inland and the worst that's happened where I am is a deck chair collided with the grill. Amazingly enough, we still have power and Internet.

Stay safe everybody!

Corkey
10-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Jersey, the green light is the transformers popping off.

GreeneyedMe
10-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Just saw on our local news....they are evacuating the residents along the Lake Ontario shoreline here...almost 2400 homes...unheard of in my lifetime anyway...and a gust from HELL just hit here....holy sh*t....yea. I'm a wuss. Capital W. I know there is all kinds of bad going on out there....just my little part of it.

clay
10-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Am really concerned about my friend in Baltimore area. I last heard from her at 630pm in a text.
I was to call her when I got back in from errands. I have been trying since 730pm.
Anyone here in that area who knows if power is gone? I tried both home and cell to no avail, and she is not answering texts. My guess is power is out and cell towers not working!
:vigil:......:candle:
please let me hear from you soon....

Little Fish
10-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Hello BFP--

I live about 8 blocks away from city hall (for perspective)--and so far it has not been too bad--fingers crossed. We still have power and although the rain has been pretty steady all day, it has been light at times. The wind is noteworthy for the intermittent gusts which come up in seconds out of nowhere--really quite impressive and at times a bit alarming.

I did witness the death of my neighbor's BBQ grill, which plunged off the balcony to it's death in his garden.

I think I'll stay up until about 2AM which is when they say the initial brunt will have moved through--although there are reports that the storm may hover over the Delaware Valley for about 24 hours and further discussion it could bring snow.

In fact, the reporter was practically glib when he mentioned "some areas are already under blizzard warnings and these regions will have no problem seeing 4 feet of snow"...blase' motherfucker.

That's all I got for now, be well all.

Sunny
10-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Just got home from work. What a day!!! We had about 35 customers come in. Crazy people. We were ready to close and what happens, our eletric went out. I had to stay, the wind was up to 90 miles an hour. Being in a big cement building and watching the cables sway was very unsettling. It shook that building. We were in darkness with only lanterns. The building creeked and pipes shook. Water was coming in through the doors. The registers making a haunting beeping noise every second. 15 registers beeping all at one time. Well the electric came back on at 715pm and I just got home. Most roads are closed here including the Parkway. What a DAY!!!!!!

Corkey
10-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Am really concerned about my friend in Baltimore area. I last heard from her at 630pm in a text.
I was to call her when I got back in from errands. I have been trying since 730pm.
Anyone here in that area who knows if power is gone? I tried both home and cell to no avail, and she is not answering texts. My guess is power is out and cell towers not working!

Clay, hundreds of thousands have lost power, so be patient, this is going to be a long night and even longer week. Have faith that your friend is alright.

Dance-with-me
10-29-2012, 07:37 PM
I hope you hear from your friend soon! I can only speak for myself, but our power is on, cells and texts are all working (three different cell services), and landline is still working. I'm in Baltimore city.

easygoingfemme
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Upstate NY check in
Pretty mellow here. It's windy, maybe 25-30 mph and raining, but nothing too crazy. Supposed to peak overnight and last through noon tomorrow.
Thankful this is what it is...
Thinking of everyone who is getting slammed right now.

DapperButch
10-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Status quo here. Level 2 ban continues with essential personnel only on the roads.

LeftWriteFemme
10-29-2012, 07:58 PM
My building just shook from top to bottom the way it did when we had that earthquake....I can't imagine what caused the shaking, the lights flickered, but so far things are okay.

BrutalDaddy
10-29-2012, 08:06 PM
My building just shook from top to bottom the way it did when we had that earthquake....I can't imagine what caused the shaking, the lights flickered, but so far things are okay.

More inlikely it's the wind. You'd be amazed at how strong the bands of gusts that come off a hurricane can be. Stay inside and safe.

Just woke up from a nap and been reading online how bad NYC and surrounding areas getting hit. Y'all please stay safe and inside if you can.

Keeping Y'all In Thoughts,
Brute.

BrutalDaddy
10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Just FYI,

While I was on I 80 yesterday and today, I saw at least eight caravans of electric companies from as far away as Arkansas all heading east on I 80 so those without power, please just hang on. Help is on the way and has been for days now. That made me feel good to see all those folks coming from far away to help if needed.

Brute.

clay
10-29-2012, 08:18 PM
I hope you hear from your friend soon! I can only speak for myself, but our power is on, cells and texts are all working (three different cell services), and landline is still working. I'm in Baltimore city.

Thanks DWM!!! Just found out the power is off there...sooo hopefully tomorrow she will contact me.
Thanks..and you be safe...stay inside....

RockOn
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Geez, Ridge Riding Sherrie ... shuddering buildings are not a good thing. :(

I wish you had packed up and left!

I have the u.s.p.s. ticket but cannot pick up the surprise box tomorrow because I am downtown in a Microsoft conference all day ... it is being held in the State Capitol building auditorium. If I leave to go to the post office, won't get back in time. Plus ... parking spaces will be a high commodity.

Here is a (f) for you.
Hang in there.
Hugs from Kelly, Kevin and I!
Brock

Geez, I wish you had left there for a few days!