PDA

View Full Version : Severe Weather Check-in!

Pages : [1] 2

Princess
05-21-2013, 07:40 AM
After hearing about the devastation of the tornado that hit Oklahoma this week I think it's time for a sound off.

This thread is for all of us who live in area's that are hit by severe weather of any sort.

Sound off, let us know that you and your loved ones are ok. Share your stories!

Princess
05-21-2013, 07:42 AM
i'll start!

I am fine, no tornado's in my area here in kansas. Though I do have some friends who were in that OK tornado, everyone is accounted for and I am thankful!

grenade
05-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Scary business. Prayers for the OKC area. We are also okay. Had one touch down near us but all we got was some flooding and scared kids.

joyfulfemme
05-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Scary business. Prayers for the OKC area. We are also okay. Had one touch down near us but all we got was some flooding and scared kids.

im so glad to hear yall are ok

joy :)

JAGG
05-21-2013, 09:32 AM
My heart goes out to the people of Moore. So sad. Scary.

Chelsius
05-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Sending good vibes to anyone out there that was impacted.

We had some grossness here in the Midwest, but fortunately nothing too devastating; only a few downed trees and minor flooding.

ArkansasPiscesGrrl
05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
The Weather Channel has listed the Little rock area as a 5 on their 1-10 rating of likelyhood of tornadoes tonight. I am hunkering down as much as possible, with an eye to the sky. I have WAY too much experience in dealing with these storms!

Gráinne
05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
The Weather Channel has listed the Little rock area as a 5 on their 1-10 rating of likelyhood of tornadoes tonight. I am hunkering down as much as possible, with an eye to the sky. I have WAY too much experience in dealing with these storms!

As am I. Heavy rain earlier, but I hear the real action is tonight.

Princess
05-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I hope all of you in those areas stay safe tonight, ill be thinking about yall and keepin myself posted. please check in when you get the all clear!

Trev
05-21-2013, 04:19 PM
There isn't anything I can't fix or replace from the storms here in Missouri. Losing my fences, trees, some roofing or even my electricity for 2 days doesn't compare in the least to what some others have lost. I am very blessed. Stay safe everyone.

WolfyOne
05-21-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm about 15 miles from where the tornado touched down in Moore yesterday and about 35 miles from where the one touched down in Shawnee the day before that. I am not a native to Oklahoma and these storms are worse than any I've seen growing up in Chicago.

On another note, still waiting for a check in from a fellow BFPer that does live in Moore...so, lets send out prayers that all is well with oksoftbutch.

JAGG
05-21-2013, 05:20 PM
As am I. Heavy rain earlier, but I hear the real action is tonight.

Please be safe friend !!!!!!

Rockinonahigh
05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Hear we have had high wind with constant rain with thunder /lightining to go with it,sometimes it gets so quiet I get the willies cause I know what can happen after being in a fue tornadoes hear.Sofar just lots of rain at the moment,I herd that we have trees down in my neighborhood with some house damage(not mine).Everyone please stay safe and intouch.

SleepyButch
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
All is well here... thankfully. I live about 15 miles from the area where the big tornado hit. I remember when that area got hit before. Such devastation. I feel for the people who have been impacted by this storm.

JustBeingMe
05-21-2013, 11:21 PM
The tornado that was an f4 that hit Granbury, Tx is further west of my home where I live and hour east of Dallas; so it did not affect me. I've been out of town for almost 3 weeks working on a landscaping project for my aunt, there's been severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings not far from my apt complex and in my mom's area which is 15 mins away from my home. She's fine, my neighbors are all fine too. My apt is still intact, thank goodness. I am going to be going home sometime early next week, I just hope it's not crappy weather for me to drive back home in for 5 1/2 hours when I do leave for home. I'm so sorry for the loss and devastation to those in the Ok area, it's beyond belief sometimes how devastation and destruction mother nature can cause. Everyone is in my prayers.

All clear in Lockhart and Bastrop outside of the Austin area(it's where I've been)....... other than some rain and lightening. I'll know more about my aunt's place tomorrow if they weathered out another high wind storm that downed 2 huge Oak trees we had to cut up and burn last weekend in which both almost took out the house, thankful it didn't and just missed it.
Good idea for a thread, Princess!!

WolfyOne
05-22-2013, 05:13 AM
I heard from oksoftbutch and all is good........phew.

Please everyone, stay safe and don't be too proud to run for shelter, if you're in harms way.

Ginger
05-22-2013, 05:28 AM
I've been thinking about all the people in the Oklahoma storm and watching the news carefully. So heartbreaking. Wishing them all the strength they need to recover.

Princess
05-22-2013, 04:41 PM
I heard from oksoftbutch and all is good........phew.

Please everyone, stay safe and don't be too proud to run for shelter, if you're in harms way.

im so glad that you heard from softie..i was concerned. glad you are both ok! this tornado season is gonna be a doozy i think...be safe, and be prepared!

Princess
05-30-2013, 01:01 PM
How's everyone holding up? I know there's lots of flooding in kansas and iowa. Big storms all over the place, we have had lots of rain off and on throughout the day here in kansas. No flooding in my area though!

TruTexan
12-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Major Ice Storm in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, West Tennessee, Western Kentucky; Snow from Plains to Ohio Valley.

It's 36 degrees here in a small town just East of Dallas, and dropping temps. hour by hour. It's supposed to drop down to below 29 degrees by this evening and rain showers causing severe major Ice storm in the areas listed above.
Tune to Weather.com to follow the forecasts.
Be safe if you're traveling in these areas as the weather is severe.

firegal
12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Its a bit chilly here in the Pacific North West!

19 degrees when i left for work this morn! Brrrrrrrr!

Got my gloves and scarf out and the ice scraper!

Rockinonahigh
12-05-2013, 11:08 AM
So far we only have had a temp drop to 55* from 77* and no rain yet.

Daktari
12-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Severe gale-force winds, driving rain and plummeting temperatures here. There's been localised flooding in our area and the Promenade shut off to traffic. There's flood warnings all over the country still.

A couple of folks dead due to the winds over-night.

Princess
12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
There is crazy weather all over the place it seems! Here in kansas it is just super cold, we had a little snow fall last night but they say we are going to get about 3 inches this weekend.

I hope all of you are staying somewhat warm and incredibly safe out there!

Gráinne
12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
The lines at Kroger were already down the aisles at noon. Despite the crowds, people were in good cheer. It doesn't do any good to grump out.

They're still calling for a major ice storm, but I've not seen anything yet, except cold.

I'd bet everyone in path of this storm cannot wait for Cle-on to Leave-on.

Okiebug61
12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
23 and spitting a little sleet here right now. I am hoping Red gets to get out early to head home. Luckily our power lines are buried so unless there is a major probably at a transformer we usually make it through with power.

starryeyes
12-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Snow yesterday and - temperatures. But, we keep on truckin!! Never felt such cold weather in my life. I even went outside in a Tank top and flip flops to *really* feel it. I'm a San Diego girl, so this is all new to me. I think that's the last time I'll try that experiment!

TruTexan
12-05-2013, 07:49 PM
http://g3.imwx.com/TileServer/imgs/radar/u1386311700000/0231123.png

All the pink is the winter Rain to Ice storm that is over Dallas and Oklahoma headed Eastward. It's getting down to the mid 20's tonight, teens Friday night, and high Friday during the day of 29*. Stay off the roads because they will be full of Ice, folks. MY parking lot outside is already frozen over from the rainfall. and it's sleeting out. Stay warm folks!! This stuff will be here for several days.

TruTexan
12-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Today was a very nice weather day for Christmas

Rockinonahigh
12-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Today was a very nice weather day for Christmas

Tex,things were nice for the day hear too,just the lows are gonna hurt,merry Christmas to you.

Gemme
12-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Hopefully, our Michigan folks are okay. I read that almost 150,000 homes were without power on Christmas, with the weather down to single digits. Northern New England was still dealing with the effects of that ice storm too.

Warm thoughts to all.

PoeticSilence
12-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Usually Omaha gets a lot of extreme weather during a year, but so far all of the storms have gone around us. Don't mistake my observation for a complaint, I think it's great. Just has me wondering, where did our weather go? Why don't we have any snow on the day after Christmas? Where were our straight-line winds and tornado spottings? Where were the reports of algae in lakes?

TruTexan
01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Calling all peeps in the winter storm's path!! Are y'all alright??? I hope you are staying warm and off the roads.

RockOn
01-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Right on time, TruTexan.

BFPlaneteers, please check in if and when you
are able. I realize some are without power.

I want to know how you BFP folk are doing too.

I am sending best wishes your way.
Take care.
Big Hugs!
Brock

CherylNYC
01-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Eight inches of hideous white crap fell on NYC. They closed schools and major highways. I had to go out in the biting wind and shovel. Everyone knows what a frail, fragile flower I am, but I had plenty of energy because I had gotten word that my current musical obsession, Mary Gauthier, was going to make it here from Nashville to play her sold out show. Buoyed by the news, I actually did a happy dance while shoveling.

Nope. They cancelled her flights even though no crap had fallen out of the sky since early this AM. The show has been rescheduled for March. I am NOT happy now.

easygoingfemme
01-03-2014, 08:07 PM
We just finished up a 2-3 day storm. It wasn't too bad, but wicked cold. About 15 inches of snow, and about 72 hours of temps between -5 and 3 degrees. Code blue is 25/7 here, meaning churches and such are open for homeless folks to come in for sleep/warming. A very good new policy in my community. But it could be much worse. No ice storms or heavy winds that take power out. My guy has been here throughout and has taken on shoveling, since I'm working (from home) and can take so much cold, but he runs much more warm than I do. I've been keeping soups and stews boiling on the stove.

TruTexan
01-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks for checking in with us here at the planet. Keep us informed, we appreciate everyone that checks in. Thanks and stay warm and eat more soups.

always2late
01-03-2014, 08:51 PM
It's 10 degrees here in NJ right now, temps dropping to -1 later tonight. I went out today to set up some more shelters for the feral cat colony that has adopted me, and to make sure they had food. I'm very concerned about them in this weather and I just hope they'll use the shelters.

Gemme
01-04-2014, 06:14 AM
Thursday night's storm could have been worse but it did dump a bunch of snow in RI. At least, where I am. The wind was really bad so the drifts were super high. Nothing like having to fight your way out of your own door. lol

Last night was colder, in the negatives. I think it said between -4 and -14. The wind gusts are still super frigid and I believe that our shelters and churches are also open. There are wind chill alerts all over.

Daktari
01-04-2014, 07:54 AM
So glad for a little respite today from the worst of the weather systems here in my little corner of the north west, although the gales are meant to be back with us tomorrow. :|

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/Waves-breach-the-sea-wall-011_zps89c73c23.jpg
The seafront in my home town yesterday. No properties were flooded.

Ginger
01-04-2014, 08:25 AM
I'm hearing the scrape of snow plows down on the street and there's a snow drift on my balcony. I'm wearing a sweater and down vest, UGGs and a knit hat, about to turn the heat back on. Yesterday the sun was so bright through my windows it made the apartment hot. Somehow it gets amplified in the process. I wish they would invent a window that functioned as a solar panel.

pkrpower
01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Tired of the snow already here in michigan...more on its way and the bitter temps...yikessssssss....need to find a femme to keep me warm :)

Kätzchen
01-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm hearing the scrape of snow plows down on the street and there's a snow drift on my balcony. I'm wearing a sweater and down vest, UGGs and a knit hat, about to turn the heat back on. Yesterday the sun was so bright through my windows it made the apartment hot. Somehow it gets amplified in the process. I wish they would invent a window that functioned as a solar panel.

Net-Zero building technology development is slowly becoming part of a reveloutionary way for buildings to become 'stand-alone' projects (generating their own power supply) thanks to innovative technological developments in engineering communities within the domain of industries committed to Sustainability.

Here's a link for you ~~>>> The Rise of Organic Solar PV (http://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2013/05/engineering-developments-the-rise-of-organic-solar-pv/)

RockOn
01-05-2014, 11:14 AM
I can't imagine the low temperatures some of you are dealing with. Poor things!

I've no experience below the lower teens.

Keep posting!
Thanks.

Electrocell
01-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Raining then suppose to turn to snow later. Then get down to 3 degrees tonight and even colder tomorrow night. That's unusually cold for around these parts.

TruTexan
01-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Raining then suppose to turn to snow later. Then get down to 3 degrees tonight and even colder tomorrow night. That's unusually cold for around these parts.

My sister lives in TN, she says it's bitter cold there lately. All I can say is with rain and colder temps you've got ICE ICE baby on the winding roads along those hills..

Electrocell
01-05-2014, 12:08 PM
My sister lives in TN, she says it's bitter cold there lately. All I can say is with rain and colder temps you've got ICE ICE baby on the winding roads along those hills..

She must live in east TN ,yeah there are a lot of winding roads in the hills there. Not quite as bad here in west TN we don't have the mountains here they have in the east. That being said ice is ice not good anytime lol.

TruTexan
01-05-2014, 12:35 PM
She must live in east TN ,yeah there are a lot of winding roads in the hills there. Not quite as bad here in west TN we don't have the mountains here they have in the east. That being said ice is ice not good anytime lol.

She lives near Bristol, upper Eastern TN. Yes lots of narrow winding roads. And Ice is horrible to try and drive on it becomes black ice where she lives and works.

Electrocell
01-05-2014, 12:46 PM
She lives near Bristol, upper Eastern TN. Yes lots of narrow winding roads. And Ice is horrible to try and drive on it becomes black ice where she lives and works.

I know where Bristol is been through there a few times in my travels.

TruTexan
01-06-2014, 07:19 PM
checking in with all our northern planeteers!! How you folks holding up , up there? I know it's a blizzard warning for some and others severe cold soooo cold it's like nothing seen since the Ice age! I pray for all of you to remain warm until this weather warms up and leaves.

Corkey
01-06-2014, 07:21 PM
As long as the pipes don't burst, yes the faucets are open, we'll be fine. They are talking feet of snow, it will all be sideways and drifted by morning. I'm more worried about my hunny having to drive in this crap.

Princess
04-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Thought maybe it was time to give this thread a good bump, considering all of the crazy storms that are out there today!

Checking in from Kansas, we had pretty severe weather the last couple of days, but nothing too close to home hit. Tornado touchdowns were reported in smaller towns, though.

How are y'all holding up?

TruTexan
12-30-2014, 05:44 PM
I thought maybe I'd give this thread a bump for those that are embracing another polar plunge into severe weather just before New Year's Eve.

Please, if you don't need to get out in this stuff.............DON"T. Think safety first and stay home .

Happy New Year's to all of you and please don't drink and drive.

Corkey
12-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Bwahahahaha typical day in the gaybrohood in these neck of the woods. It is now 20* windchill 15*, and it hasn't snowed since November.

ksrainbow
12-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Currently in Enid OK...and its not nice at all. Call back to Kansas neighbors stated its -2 wind chill of -19 with 2 inches of snow! Do I REALLY wanna go home?

Hmmm ...

Rockinonahigh
12-30-2014, 10:02 PM
At the moment it is 40* with a crisp wind blowing,it feels like 30* outside.My fur kids just made the fastest potty run ever,their fur was cold as ice when they came in,time to put another blanket on the bed for all of us.Folks please be careful in this kind of weather,those with asthma or copd are in serious danger in this kind of weather,dress warmly in layers if you have to go out.Tomorrow night is New Years eve,if you do go out to party please don't drink and drive or even be an a car with anyone who has been drinking,you all are important to someone
make there 2015 better by being hear to enjoy it.

TruTexan
01-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Bumping for those of you here at the Planet that are in the wake of the winter storm that's coming. Please post here to keep us informed of your safety and warmth . I wish you well, warmth, and electricity, and preparedness.

Gemme
01-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Rhode Island checking in. it's been snowing since 10am this morning but the hard stuff has yet to hit. That is coming in 2-3 hours. Various reports have my area getting anywhere from 20 inches to 38 inches of snow between now and Wednesday morning.

Basically all of the snow we've been avoiding this winter is coming back around and hitting all at once.

:blink:

TruTexan
01-27-2015, 06:18 AM
Calling all Planeteers that are in the winter storms path........check in please !

Shystonefem
01-27-2015, 07:01 AM
Check, check

Gemme
01-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Check!

The plows have been running nearly nonstop. I was out at midnight with one of the guys and gave him some tips where he could push the snow and I see that he did NOT heed my advice. This means much more work for me and my coworker and possibly more insurance claims by some of our customers. Oy.

The good news is that I still have power and, super importantly, HEAT. Even though NY didn't get what was expected, we did and we still are. We're not weaseling out of this one, unfortunately.

When I opened my front door, the snow was at my hip. When I opened the back door....the door I shoveled at 6pm, 10pm and midnight....there's a smidge more than a foot and a half of snow packed up against the door.

The wind's been crazy wild all night long and the house creaked and moaned along with it. I slept like a baby but then I'm the weirdo that actually like turbulence on a plane because it's lulling to me. I guess my mom rocked the cradle harder than most.

Be safe out there, New Englanders. Less than 24 hours of this left!

TruTexan
01-27-2015, 08:32 AM
New Englanders and ME,MA, RI, NY, NJ VT peeps and all others in the path of the storm check in please ! Let us all know how the weather is there where you are ok.

TruTexan
02-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Blizzard warning in effect for NE again. I sure hope everyone on the East Coast is doing ok. I know there's way too much snow there to get rid of.

TruTexan
10-30-2015, 06:14 PM
MAJOR TEXAS FLOODING: AUSTIN,BASTROP,SAN MARCOS, WIMBERELY and surrounding areas of AUSTIN and those cities. According to a friend of mine, a school in San Marcos,TX was hit by a tornado that ravaged the areas.
Dallas and surrounding cities in Texas also hit by major rain and flooding.
Please if you have friends in those areas, contact them and make sure they are alright.

Rockinonahigh
10-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Not much going on hear but light rain, but tomorrow it's supposed to have thunder storms hear with heavy rain. What I'm watching is my fur kids they are acting really creepy about the weather, most of the time they just deal with it but tonight is really different.

TruTexan
12-27-2015, 04:47 PM
AS of Yesterday, there were 4 major storm cells that hit over my area in East of Dallas. They all formed Tornados. I am lucky none touched down where I live in Edgewood. I live 14 miles from one of the EF3 tornados that touched down just north of me. I live 15 miles west of another that touched down in my mom's town. I live 7 miles from one that touched down south of me. These storm cells were growing in size as they passed through our area producing hail, rain storms, high winds, etc. I have video of footage taken from tornados that touched down around my area.
Now, get this......I live 1 hour south of Rowlet TX and 1 hour East of Garland Tx , both of which had EF-3 and EF-4 tornados touch down that caused a massive path of destruction to property and lives, including sucking up cars and trucks off the George Bush Turnpike at I-30 in Garland then moved on into Garland and into Rowlet. All of these storms were produced and flew right over my apartment building. I heard our sirens going off all day long yesterday,I got locked in a small walmart stand alone grocery store in my town when the first storm cell formed. It had hit Grand Saline TX where my mom lives nearby just outside of town. I called her from my cell and told her to take cover in the bathroom because its' the safest place in her home for how it's built. She luckily didn't have to endure any damage but others did nearby. Those storms produced some of the BIGGEST TORNADOS NOT SEEN IN THIS AREA of Texas since the 1950's. I got home from walmart and another alarm sounded while I was outside sitting on my porch smoking, I saw black clouds forming above, then a tiny tail and EVERYTHING GOT QUIET< and I do mean QUIET> the rain stopped, no birds chirped, no wind, and I could see that tail in the sky starting to form above my building. I ran inside and took shelter all the time praying silently. I heard some slight whistling, then everything stopped and the rain started to fall again. I have been in a tornado before and they usually sound like a freight train coming and they whistle. I coudln't believe it had stopped. I couldn't believe my TV news saying a hour or so later that Rowlett and Garland had both been hit by the storm cells that had passed over my area and my building. OMG I have video and pictures of them on my facebook page of people that took them live. MILE FREAKING WIDE !! atleast 11 people died, many injured, much destruction, and 8 people in those vehicles passed away as well. I feel so badly for the victims in this path of destruction. I feel lucky to be able to walk out my door and breathe air. I feel lucky my mom, her brothers and family members weren't hit with this massive storms destruction. I just feel blessed and sad at the same time.
Today, we're experiencing Torrential rain storms causing major flooding in towns surrounding mine and in mine. I mean MAJOR FEET FLOODING. If you''ve ever heard of First Monday Trade Days in Canton,TX, well it's all flooded feet under water there. My uncles property is flooded as well. Freeways are flooded , side roads are flooded, there's not too much that hasn't flooded around my neck of the woods.
I ask for prayers for the people that endured the storms and are still getting flooding, it's supposed to rain tomorrow as well. I think the rain guage my neighbor put out is full. I bet we've had over 2 ft of rain. OMG it's horrible here.

Please pray for those in need. Thanks.

Chad
12-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Thank you TruTexan, I am glad that you and your mother are safe.

Thunderstorms, rain, and hail here in central Texas.

Chad

AS of Yesterday, there were 4 major storm cells that hit over my area in East of Dallas. They all formed Tornados. I am lucky none touched down where I live in Edgewood. I live 14 miles from one of the EF3 tornados that touched down just north of me. I live 15 miles west of another that touched down in my mom's town. I live 7 miles from one that touched down south of me. These storm cells were growing in size as they passed through our area producing hail, rain storms, high winds, etc. I have video of footage taken from tornados that touched down around my area.
Now, get this......I live 1 hour south of Rowlet TX and 1 hour East of Garland Tx , both of which had EF-3 and EF-4 tornados touch down that caused a massive path of destruction to property and lives, including sucking up cars and trucks off the George Bush Turnpike at I-30 in Garland then moved on into Garland and into Rowlet. All of these storms were produced and flew right over my apartment building. I heard our sirens going off all day long yesterday,I got locked in a small walmart stand alone grocery store in my town when the first storm cell formed. It had hit Grand Saline TX where my mom lives nearby just outside of town. I called her from my cell and told her to take cover in the bathroom because its' the safest place in her home for how it's built. She luckily didn't have to endure any damage but others did nearby. Those storms produced some of the BIGGEST TORNADOS NOT SEEN IN THIS AREA of Texas since the 1950's. I got home from walmart and another alarm sounded while I was outside sitting on my porch smoking, I saw black clouds forming above, then a tiny tail and EVERYTHING GOT QUIET< and I do mean QUIET> the rain stopped, no birds chirped, no wind, and I could see that tail in the sky starting to form above my building. I ran inside and took shelter all the time praying silently. I heard some slight whistling, then everything stopped and the rain started to fall again. I have been in a tornado before and they usually sound like a freight train coming and they whistle. I coudln't believe it had stopped. I couldn't believe my TV news saying a hour or so later that Rowlett and Garland had both been hit by the storm cells that had passed over my area and my building. OMG I have video and pictures of them on my facebook page of people that took them live. MILE FREAKING WIDE !! atleast 11 people died, many injured, much destruction, and 8 people in those vehicles passed away as well. I feel so badly for the victims in this path of destruction. I feel lucky to be able to walk out my door and breathe air. I feel lucky my mom, her brothers and family members weren't hit with this massive storms destruction. I just feel blessed and sad at the same time.
Today, we're experiencing Torrential rain storms causing major flooding in towns surrounding mine and in mine. I mean MAJOR FEET FLOODING. If you''ve ever heard of First Monday Trade Days in Canton,TX, well it's all flooded feet under water there. My uncles property is flooded as well. Freeways are flooded , side roads are flooded, there's not too much that hasn't flooded around my neck of the woods.
I ask for prayers for the people that endured the storms and are still getting flooding, it's supposed to rain tomorrow as well. I think the rain guage my neighbor put out is full. I bet we've had over 2 ft of rain. OMG it's horrible here.

Please pray for those in need. Thanks.

Rockinonahigh
12-27-2015, 08:55 PM
So far we have had lots of lightning and thunder along with blowing rain and wind, it's not coming down real hard but I bet it will by morning.
I feel for everyone who is in the storm path please stay as safe as possible.

TruTexan
12-28-2015, 07:39 PM
I got out today because I had to and found the roads are clear now. Thank goodness, and I went and checked on mom today. She's fine.
Here's what sums up our forecast since Friday........
Friday .. Sunny and 75 degrees
Sat.... RAIN and 70's
Sunday... Rain with flooding and 65
MONDAY.......... OLD MAN WINTER DROPS A BOMB on us and brings us ICE< SLEET< AND SNOW TO OUR AREA.....Dallas got it bad today. Luckily I didn't get the wintery mix of that mess, we got the cold weather though.
Currently it's 733 pm Central time and it's 36* but with windchill it's 28* with 11 mph winds, temperature dropping fast. Supposed to be below freezing in some areas around me. Our lows are in the low 30's and highs are 40's the rest of this week. With all this rain, it's made it soo cold here, there's so much humidity it's not even funny.

I pray for the victims that had to endure such tragedy of the tornados yesterday. There 11 recorded, but i have video of more on FB that weren't counted that hit my mom's outlying area of town and a few more elsewhere as well. I guess no spotters for them due to them not being able to get out in some areas to drive where they were due to flooding.

Thanks all for the kind words, it's much appreciated. Take care and Thanks again.
Justy

Chad
04-18-2016, 05:36 AM
Check-in Texans, flooding reported between Austin and Houston.

dark_crystal
04-18-2016, 06:57 AM
I am just barely within the flash flood warning zone for Harris County

My job is in Galveston County, which is actually doing ok. No Galveston county government or school district offices have announced closings

I texted my staff that they appear to be expected to come in, but can stay home if they have personal business hours accrued.

I myself am not leaving my house until after rush hour, at least, pending the situation on my actual street, which seems like it may be filling up

The situation has one hour and nine minutes to change

:vigil::readfineprint::nailbitin:

Bèsame*
04-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Its pouring! I'm going to watch my rain gauge...@ 8:26 am it was 7.09 inches
@ 8:46 am it's now 8.4 inches

The backyard is full of standing water. I'm up two rather large steps, so I'm good. Not going into work, probably not at all today. Blaze had to, he used his emergency badge to pass thru the road closure barriers.

I'm glued to the news, and am amazed at the sights. I'm sure you will all see the flooding on TV. I'll check back again.

Dark Crystal.....you be safe!
JDeere...where are you?

dark_crystal
04-18-2016, 08:21 AM
Its pouring! I'm going to watch my rain gauge...@ 8:26 am it was 7.09 inches
@ 8:46 am it's now 8.4 inches

The backyard is full of standing water. I'm up two rather large steps, so I'm good. Not going into work, probably not at all today. Blaze had to, he used his emergency badge to pass thru the road closure barriers.

I'm glued to the news, and am amazed at the sights. I'm sure you will all see the flooding on TV. I'll check back again.

Dark Crystal.....you be safe!
JDeere...where are you?

I am still at my house! I really only had three work obligations today and I am arranging to redistribute them

Bèsame*
04-18-2016, 08:25 AM
I am still at my house! I really only had three work obligations today and I am arranging to redistribute them

good!.....

Bèsame*
04-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Can anyone reach out to JDeere? He hasn't signed on since last night. Email? Text? His neighborhood is quite flooded.

Here is what we have seen today, all over..

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgVCLTvUYAM3EW9.jpg

JDeere
04-18-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm good. Stuck between flooded areas. I can't go any further then clay road near I 10 and only parts of 290. So looks like I will be stuck cleaning out the pool and backyard when all the rain is gone.

*Anya*
04-26-2016, 08:08 AM
*bumping for anyone in the Midwest due to potential tornados, hail and thunderstorms today and this week*

*Anya*
10-06-2016, 07:45 PM
My daughter and her family in Florida evacuated due to Hurricane Matthew. Luckily, they were able to get a hotel room.

Some people can't find a hotel or motel room now.

Anyone else in its path, please evacuate and stay safe!

Chad
03-13-2017, 07:12 PM
I am concerned about my friends in the northeast please check in periodically.

Thank you,
Chad

easygoingfemme
03-13-2017, 07:14 PM
I am concerned about my friends in the northeast please check in periodically.

Thank you,
Chad

Thank you for bumping this~~~

Chad
03-14-2017, 04:14 AM
Bumping again.

easygoingfemme
03-14-2017, 06:23 AM
8am and we have about 4 inches and it's coming down fast and hard. Work put out the call at 6am for us all to stay home. Thankfully we have a number of staff who live in the building or live a short walking distance and they will be there. I'm on call for brainstorming needs. I am going to buy our maintenance team a night on the town though cause this will be hardest on them and we absolutely need them there.

easygoingfemme
03-14-2017, 09:00 AM
11am, about 8 inches now. Some surrounding areas are up to 18 inches. Post offices closed.

homoe
03-14-2017, 09:01 AM
11am, about 8 inches now. Some surrounding areas are up to 18 inches. Post offices closed.

Yikes, you know things are B A D when the post office closes:blink:

Gemme
03-14-2017, 10:29 AM

I think CT and NY are getting the brunt of it now. We were downgraded last night so it's likely we'll only get up to 9 inches but the snow is now taking a backseat to the rain, which started about half an hour ago here.

The rain will freeze, encasing the snow in what amounts to an impenetrable resin force field and leave the entire ground and all the roadways a giant sheet of slick glass, which is difficult to deal with and is a major safety concern for both residential and commercial locations as well as emergency workers and transportation providers.

It's starting to get real, folks. Hang on to your short hairs.

ETA: My main plow guy is outside my window and I can hear his tires spinning. He might be stuck again.

That's not good.

easygoingfemme
03-14-2017, 10:45 AM
I think CT and NY are getting the brunt of it now. We were downgraded last night so it's likely we'll only get up to 9 inches but the snow is now taking a backseat to the rain, which started about half an hour ago here.

The rain will freeze, encasing the snow in what amounts to an impenetrable resin force field and leave the entire ground and all the roadways a giant sheet of slick glass, which is difficult to deal with and is a major safety concern for both residential and commercial locations as well as emergency workers and transportation providers.

It's starting to get real, folks. Hang on to your short hairs.

ETA: My main plow guy is outside my window and I can hear his tires spinning. He might be stuck again.

That's not good.

Wow, none of that sounds good.

My daughter is taking a shift shoveling which is quite helpful.
Wind is picking up. I can usually see our main road from upstairs in my big bedroom window and was trying to see out there because there were all kinds of emergency sirens going off but I can't see anything past a few feet.

Kobi
03-14-2017, 12:32 PM
The snow was brief here. The rain is impressive - wont have to wash the car after this. The winds are strong but not nearly as bad as predicted.

The thumping of tree parts falling on the roof is being ignored.

Lights flickering on and off but the electric is holding in this area. Thankfully the temps are rising (40's now).

Stay safe people.

Gemme
03-14-2017, 08:51 PM
I had a bad feeling about this storm but apparently my gut wasn't talking about snow inches. It was talking about water intrusion. One of my work buildings flooded and the roof leaked. Two separate water intrusion issues that I spent hours mopping up and contacting the affected customers. After I shoveled the wet snow and accidentally attempted to give myself hypothermia, that is.

Not. Kidding.

Worst day in a while for sure.

cathexis
03-15-2017, 09:04 AM
We've gotten over 2 feet here at the NY/Quebec Canadian border. Love snow. Luck I don't have to drive in it.

All we've had are those little snowflakes that result in accumulation, none of those pretty BIG snowflakes. We also missed out on the blizzards. Haven't seen blizzards since living in Milw. Really look forward to both, but alas.

Will try to walk to the store later for some ice cream, snow is gonna be way higher that boots. Might even be up past my hips...yipes.

Won't be as bad as the time we (including Hildegaard...large pit bull/mastiff) went walking. Hit a patch where I was up to my hips following a leash through the snow (no dog, just lead). Felt the tug, but could see no evidence of the unidentifiable force pulling me along for a couple of blocks.

Of course, it was Hildegaard pulling me out of this long drift. She was so proud of herself as well she shoild have been. Her momma didn't get lost in the snow! GOOD DOG!

Corkey
03-15-2017, 01:35 PM
We're doing surprisingly well, except for driveing. It's always a white knuckler for Ami, who is usually the one out in it. We got about 9 inches total so far and it was fluffy not concrete, so pushing as opposed to digging was easier, not easy as it's still 9 inches but .... er.... Losts of folks in the ditch, school bus in the ditch, kids minor injuries nothing serious. We got the back end of Stella, so I feel for the folks who got 42 inches.

Chad
04-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Hunker down Texans!

Severe storms are headed toward Austin.
Mom called to tell me that she safe at a neighbor's house.

Chad
04-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Hunker down Texans!

Severe storms are headed toward Austin.
Mom called to tell me that she safe at a neighbor's house.

The storm just passed me in the hill country and is headed to Austin. Hail and tornado warnings for Cedar Park and areas north.

Chad
06-21-2017, 08:29 PM
Hunker down east Texas and Louisiana.

Check-in when possible.

Degotoga
08-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Tropical depression Harvey is intensifying and taking aim at the Texas coastline. It is expected to make landfall Friday morning and all weather maps are predicting it will bring prolonged periods of heavy rainfall and flooding across parts of Texas, southwestern Louisiana, and northeastern New Mexico, and is expected to last into early next week. Everyone in its path please check in as frequently as possible. The rain has already begun in central Texas and first responders are currently being put on standby (there goes my downtime!) so stay alert and don't take any unnecessary risks. If you can't see the roadway or determine how deep a puddle may be, turn around! Here's hoping everyone rides this out safely.

FieryRedhead
08-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Tropical depression Harvey is intensifying and taking aim at the Texas coastline. It is expected to make landfall Friday morning and all weather maps are predicting it will bring prolonged periods of heavy rainfall and flooding across parts of Texas, southwestern Louisiana, and northeastern New Mexico, and is expected to last into early next week. Everyone in its path please check in as frequently as possible. The rain has already begun in central Texas and first responders are currently being put on standby (there goes my downtime!) so stay alert and don't take any unnecessary risks. If you can't see the roadway or determine how deep a puddle may be, turn around! Here's hoping everyone rides this out safely.

Thank you for the update! I have family in Texas and Louisiana, I always try to keep up with anything going on there. :detective:

girl_dee
08-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Thank you for the update! I have family in Texas and Louisiana, I always try to keep up with anything going on there. :detective:

Me too (Louisiana ).... As much as i miss my fam i do not miss the storms.

JDeere
08-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Ahhh yes severe weather means I actually get sleep lol

I'm just waiting on the rain, right now.

Degotoga
08-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Harvey has intensified and is now expected to be a hurricane by the time it makes landfall along the Texas coastline. Hunker down and stay safe, folks!

Blaze
08-23-2017, 07:28 PM
sigh. And so goes the first responder pager. And I thought we were going to read a book and sleep in. Time to hit the Monsters drinks. Energy to fill sand bags for the hospital. And call Sun Coast to fill the generators. Bummers. Minimal 4 day bag pack to sleep on cots. Phfffttttt!

girl_dee
08-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Harvey has intensified and is now expected to be a hurricane by the time it makes landfall along the Texas coastline. Hunker down and stay safe, folks!

when this happens it always in East Texas, south Louisiana gets that right front quadrant and its all over

Degotoga
08-23-2017, 07:43 PM
sigh. And so goes the first responder pager. And I thought we were going to read a book and sleep in. Time to hit the Monsters drinks. Energy to fill sand bags for the hospital. And call Sun Coast to fill the generators. Bummers. Minimal 4 day bag pack to sleep on cots. Phfffttttt!

And so the preparations begin. We're ramping up inland, too. You guys don't keep your generators ready to go at all times? I feel for ya; at least I'm full-time Fire and we have sleeping quarters, but there's not going to be much rest for any of us for the next several days. Be safe out there, brother. Check in when you get a chance.

CherryWine
08-24-2017, 11:59 AM
I just saw where Harvey is forecast be a Cat. 3 when it makes landfall. 😳 Y'all stay safe down there.

clay
08-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Stay safe everyone. Please check in when you can...CW, Blaze, & Degs!!!!

Blaze
08-24-2017, 01:36 PM
And so the preparations begin. We're ramping up inland, too. You guys don't keep your generators ready to go at all times? I feel for ya; at least I'm full-time Fire and we have sleeping quarters, but there's not going to be much rest for any of us for the next several days. Be safe out there, brother. Check in when you get a chance.

😈with all the power outages. And an add on of another generator. We were at 5/8 full. 2. 500 gal and one , 1800 gal. Is cause for top offs. Chuckles. You take care Degotoga! Happy first responding high fives your way! Good news. Everything secured, weather taped, sand bags filled and placed and all battery lights charged. And yeah, I don't fore see much sleep either. Thanks for all your department does! Thanks Clay for your concern! Catch Y'all later

JDeere
08-24-2017, 02:28 PM
It shows that the hurricane is going to hit corpus Christi. Houston area will get a ton of rain. Been there done that, put up with it since I was 3.

😑

cricket26
08-24-2017, 07:25 PM
prayers...

girl_dee
08-25-2017, 03:37 AM
sending thoughts and prayers.

This is never easy.

Chad
08-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Hunker Down Texans!

Please check in.

JDeere
08-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Fine here on my end, just tired of the rumors and fear mongering on social media like facebook and twitter.

Stick to the local news websites folks.

Esme nha Maire
08-26-2017, 02:38 AM
Hoping everyone affected stays safe over there and that there are no casualties. Am really, really glad we don't get weather like that in the UK!

May deity watch over you all.

Esme xx

Bèsame*
08-26-2017, 03:39 AM
I'm awake cause I was feeling warm. The fan I had on wasn't. Leads me to believe the electricity went off. It's super F'n windy out there. I stepped out on the balcony and the lights went out. It was super dark.

They are back on.. And I hear tonando warning for the next 20 min. Just spotted near me.. And just called out my part of the city.

The lights are still on..I'm sitting on the bathtub now.

Good thing....cereal tastes good when you mix two different kinds 😃

girl_dee
08-26-2017, 04:23 AM
I'm awake cause I was feeling warm. The fan I had on wasn't. Leads me to believe the electricity went off. It's super F'n windy out there. I stepped out on the balcony and the lights went out. It was super dark.

They are back on.. And I hear tonando warning for the next 20 min. Just spotted near me.. And just called out my part of the city.

Man does this bring back memories. Please stay in touch!

dark_crystal
08-26-2017, 06:15 AM
Yep it's a storm all right

I still have power and cable

Gutters are full but street is passable

I am in central Houston and our neighborhood is new construction- houses are built up higher than older neighborhoods

All I need is a little slack to walk my dog but she is not actually "doing the dance" yet

dark_crystal
08-26-2017, 06:48 AM
Yep it's a storm all right

I still have power and cable

Gutters are full but street is passable

I am in central Houston and our neighborhood is new construction- houses are built up higher than older neighborhoods

All I need is a little slack to walk my dog but she is not actually "doing the dance" yet

Update: we walked and got kind of wet. It might have been our only chance but some "people" were picky about their "spot" and now we have to try again later for #2

Oklahomagal
08-26-2017, 08:35 AM
We have not got the affects from the storm here in oklahoma. Yesterday rained all day and streets flooded.

justkim
08-26-2017, 08:48 AM
good morning! At least I hope it is a good morning. Thinking of all of you as Harvey continues to bring rain and wind to some of you. Be safe and be smart. Check in when you can.

VintageFemme
08-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Friends have been texting and calling me since yesterday. I'm very far north and central in Texas so we're good. Harvey is pushing the envelope though and people as far north as Austin are feeling effects of the storm with tons of rain, but we're good up here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

girl_dee
08-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Hello????...........

Bèsame*
08-26-2017, 02:54 PM
I've been responding to everyone, I thought I had here ...

Made it thru the wild night, the tornado came eerily close, according to reports this morning. It's still windy and I haven't seen much rain. No fallen trees on my car, that's a plus!

The river that crested last year in town is expected to again. We moved further away from there! Reports say rain is coming.

girl_dee
08-26-2017, 04:45 PM
I've been responding to everyone, I thought I had here ...

Made it thru the wild night, the tornado came eerily close, according to reports this morning. It's still windy and I haven't seen much rain. No fallen trees on my car, that's a plus!

The river that crested last year in town is expected to again. We moved further away from there! Reports say rain is coming.

Glad you are okay!

Bèsame*
08-26-2017, 06:00 PM
I'm back sitting on the bathtub with the cats. I received an alert via my phone to take cover. I'm lined up for some heavy bands of rain. If you see the Map, I'm under the "H" on Houston and a smidgen to the left.

I'm not going to get caught in the dark again. I already lit a candle...so there Harvey. .lol

*Anya*
08-26-2017, 10:13 PM
I read this on VICE News. It would have never occurred to me but I live in Cali.

Even if everyone else is aware, I thought I would post it anyway.

Take care everyone, sending good thoughts for your safety:

Rainfall and flooding aren’t all Texans have to worry about this weekend as Hurricane Harvey makes landfall — there will also be gators.

As storm surges rise water levels up a predicted 12 feet, the state’s alligators — displaced from where they naturally lurk — will likely end up finding their way to neighborhood driveways, under parked cars, and on top of doorsteps.

Gators and flooding advice via @txgatorsquad: Expect them to be displaced. Simply looking for higher ground. Leave alone until water recedes pic.twitter.com/nN1B5jvMyV

— FBCSO Texas (@FBCSO) August 24, 2017

Lyte
08-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Please keep us posted on how you're doing. This one looks like a nasty one!

My bro text me... kinda worried. I sent him a pic of Texas... I'm like 500 miles north. Iol :p Thoughtful though!

I'm back sitting on the bathtub with the cats. I received an alert via my phone to take cover. I'm lined up for some heavy bands of rain. If you see the Map, I'm under the "H" on Houston and a smidgen to the left.

I'm not going to get caught in the dark again. I already lit a candle...so there Harvey. .lol

JDeere
08-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Laying in bed with major headache, tornado fell on the other side of my subdivision earlier, lots of rain right now.

Lyte
08-26-2017, 11:13 PM
Oy... with ya there... headaches. :(

Glad it hear it missed ya!

JDeere
08-26-2017, 11:43 PM
Oy... with ya there... headaches. :(

Glad it hear it missed ya!

I'm not worried about much really. It's going to REALLY flood in Houston and surrounding areas. I only am worried about 4 people at this moment and they ain't family.

VintageFemme
08-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Text RedCross to 90999 to donate $10 to disaster relief.

And, from this website http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0821444c37515 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-to-help-hurricane-storm-harvey_us_59a166dde4b0821444c37515)

1. Donate Money Or Volunteer

A plethora of organizations are appealing for donations to help them as they send volunteers and supplies to the hardest-hit areas.

These include the American Red Cross (https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campname=Harvey&campmedium=aspot), The Salvation Army (http://www.salarmyomaha.org/ways-to-give/disaster-relief/), Samaritan’s Purse (https://www.samaritanspurse.org/disaster/hurricane-harvey/), Save The Children (https://secure.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.9534757/k.CB79/Hurricane_Harvey_Relief_Fund/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp), the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief (https://www.namb.net/send-relief/disaster-relief) and Heart to Heart International. (http://www.hearttoheart.org/)

The local Texas Diaper Bank is also putting together disaster relief kits for families with young children. You can donate here (http://www.texasdiaperbank.org/).

Crowdfunding site GlobalGiving (https://www.globalgiving.org/) has launched a hurricane relief fund (https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/hurricane-harvey-relief-fund/)aimed at gathering funds for local nonprofits in the storm-stricken region.

Animal shelters and rescue groups are taking in numerous pets displaced by the storm ― whether the animals got lost in the chaos, got left behind, or simply need temporary housing while their owners stay in evacuation shelters. Those groups include the SPCA of Texas (https://spca.org/give), Austin Pets Alive! (https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurricane-harvey-evacuations), Dallas Animal Services (http://dallascityhall.com/departments/dallas-animal-services/Pages/Donate.aspx) and the San Antonio Humane Society. (https://sahumane.org/donate/wishlist)

2. Donate Blood

Blood centers expect a supply shortage because of the closure of some blood banks along the coast and the likely demand stemming from injuries sustained in the storm. Centers have put out (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Blood-Supply-Preparation-For-Harvey-441757363.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DFWBrand) calls for extra donors (https://southtexasblood.org/) to help deal with the aftermath.

You can find donation centers or blood drives for the South Texas Blood & Tissue Center here (https://www.donatingforlife.org/index.cfm?utm_source=website&utm_medium=locations&utm_campaign=11.23.15-dfl-locations-page-website-find-a-blood-drive-link) or for Texas organization Carter BloodCare here. (http://www.carterbloodcare.org/donate-blood/)

And even if you’re not in Texas, you can search online for blood drives local to you or book an appointment via the Red Cross (http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood) website.

3. Provide Accommodation For Evacuees

Airbnb has launched a portal so that the people who have been displaced by the hurricane can find a place to stay. It’s also waiving fees for people affected by the disaster. More details are available on the Airbnb website here. (https://www.airbnb.co.uk/disaster/hurricaneharveyevacuees)

JDeere
08-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Wish I could go back to sleep but I'm very restless. My ex texted me at 3 am, it's really bad where she is and it hurts that I can't get to her. All I can do is pray and wait till this is over, then help with clean up. I wish I had my own place and a huge truck to get her and the kids to dry land. My heart is broken.

justkim
08-27-2017, 10:02 AM
JDeere, be kind to yourself. So many are affected by Harvey. Been up since three here in the PNW. For the last two hours been trying to get help to a lady in one of the groups I belong to. Her husband is currently at home under the care of hospice. Her house has over 10 inches of water. Every number has been called and now we wait for someone to get to her and her husband soon. I think people underestimated this storms power and impacts. Praying help arrives for those needing it.

dark_crystal
08-27-2017, 10:40 AM
I am still high and dry and fully powered but the library staff are mostly flooded and trapped :worried:

Bèsame*
08-27-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm high and dry today. I did a check in with my staff, some without power and trapped with flooded streets. Talked with friends in town and made calls to family. The pictures coming across the News are terrible. Please local friends stay home, the roads can give way. I'm about two miles from that sink hole you might have seen.

Blaze is still working and camping out at the Hospital.

Even though yesterday felt like we dodged the rain, we had been warned about the amount of rain to come. I'm still getting tornado warnings on my phone. It's not over....

Medusa
08-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Hey folks-

Has anyone heard from Stilettodoll? Or does anyone have a way to get in touch with her and check in?

Thank you,
Angie

dark_crystal
08-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Hey folks-

Has anyone heard from Stilettodoll? Or does anyone have a way to get in touch with her and check in?

Thank you,
Angie

Mr. Jenny is texting her now

StillettoDoll
08-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Hey folks-

Thank you,
Angie

Awwww hey Angie ... I am doing good over here where I'm at , I feel very lucky as of now ..... I am keeping a close eye on the weather reports not sure when I can get back to work cause all road are flooded in town...also checking in on everyone here to see how they are doing . I'm good, catching up on my soap making.

Just heard airports will be close until Wednesday. whoa

Medusa
08-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Awwww hey Angie ... I am doing good over here where I'm at , I feel very lucky as of now ..... I am keeping a close eye on the weather reports not sure when I can get back to work cause all road are flooded in town...also checking in on everyone here to see how they are doing . I'm good, catching up on my soap making.

Just heard airports will be close until Wednesday. whoa

WHEW!!! Thank you for checking in!! Had a couple of folks message me about you and I was wondering myself!

Pinkielee and D-Boo are ok as well!

JDeere
08-27-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm still fine for now. My ex not so much. I've never felt so helpless. But this rain isn't over yet, I just pray that the help comes when it's really needed, FEMA and red cross are doing the best they can.

RockOn
08-27-2017, 06:50 PM
As *Anya* pointed out, displaced alligators are a problem. Easy to imagine they are hungry and irritable. Please don't anyone go wading through water. Wait until the water recesses and you can see the ground in front of you.

Plus unknown type cooties in the water could make you sick.

Be safe.

Oh! Not to forget displaced snakes too!

FireSignFemme
08-27-2017, 07:19 PM
As *Anya* pointed out, displaced alligators are a problem. Easy to imagine they are hungry and irritable. Please don't anyone go wading through water. Wait until the water recesses and you can see the ground in front of you.

Plus unknown type cooties in the water could make you sick.

Be safe.

Oh! Not to forget displaced snakes too!

Exactly - On the news they are showing lots of people in the waters wading around aimlessly - very bad idea. Best to avoid if at all possible. Obviously if you have to flee for life, safety, you do what you have to do to survive but those flood waters are dangerous, full of all sorts of potential hazzards, not to mention disgusting amounts of just plain gross and nasty stuff, for example raw sewage. Also currents can easily suck people under, if they can submerge SUVs, well humans - easy, no problem at all.

Blaze
08-27-2017, 07:26 PM
4 days in. 12+ hours each. 13 tornado warnings. A gazillion flood warnings. Bayou breach, loading dock looks like swimming pool because water drains into bayou. Sleep? What's that? Lol. Leaks from places you could never imagine. EMS Can't use most roads to get to us. Or leave premises. Ceiling tiles falling, roof and mounted equipment leaking water. Double pain windows leaking because rain hitting it side ways. Power holding up fine because of new back up generators but water pouring into plant where super charged electrical boxes of high voltage volumes are. Water and electrical are a dangerous mix. I've had enough hair raising experience. Shocking I tell Ya! Lol. Broiler igniters failing. Sand bags holding so far. Guess it's a good way to find out infrastructure problems the hard way. Yet all in all? It's been an interesting and educational learning experience process. . I can say Texan's take care of each other. Each person here has gone far and beyond work boundaries. Neighbors helping neighbors, strangers becoming friends. Out of state people pitching in. Impressive! Kind of reminds me of home. Island style. I swear I love my job. And my fellow hospital staff and emergency responders. God Bless Texas.

JDeere
08-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Right now no one gives a crap about snakes, alligators, etc. I understand y'all are worried but come on, people have and are losing EVERYTHING while y'all want to talk about animals, etc.

We are going to get 15 to 25 more inches of rain, this will not end anytime soon maybe not even on Thursday. People are dying, hungry and thirsty, etc. Mostly boats are doing rescues since ALL major freeways are flooded. However there is not much dry land, and if this post seems pissy well it is, you should be pissed too that evacuation preparations were not handled properly by the mayor and judge Emmet and the the whole damn city flood district committee.

firegal
08-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Right now no one gives a crap about snakes, alligators, etc. I understand y'all are worried but come on, people have and are losing EVERYTHING while y'all want to talk about animals, etc.

We are going to get 15 to 25 more inches of rain, this will not end anytime soon maybe not even on Thursday. People are dying, hungry and thirsty, etc. Mostly boats are doing rescues since ALL major freeways are flooded. However there is not much dry land, and if this post seems pissy well it is, you should be pissed too that evacuation preparations were not handled properly by the mayor and judge Emmet and the the whole damn city flood district committee.

Sheese JD, chill, folks are just trying to give well wishes and things to think about as their minds are full of the devastation.

JDeere
08-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Sheese JD, chill, folks are just trying to give well wishes and things to think about as their minds are full of the devastation.

Trust me, that's all we are thinking about right now is devastation. Send well wishes all you want but it doesn't help many folks right now.

Chad
08-27-2017, 09:15 PM

I know buddy, human life is what is important now. I was raised in Houston and this is heartbreaking. Stay safe my friend. I am here if you need anything.

cricket26
08-27-2017, 09:16 PM
this is channel 11 houston but that station has been evacuated and this livestream is from wfaa dallas at the moment....they are trying to set up at the houston pbs station....but for now dallas is broadcasting...

oWwqIO_4VNw

JDeere
08-27-2017, 09:17 PM
I know buddy, human life is what is important now. I was raised in Houston and this is heartbreaking. Stay safe my friend. I am here if you need anything.

Thanks Chad! I recall you saying you were raised here, so I know it's heartbreaking for you as well.

JDeere
08-27-2017, 09:28 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1746572525383838&id=659469970760771

Blaze
08-27-2017, 09:35 PM
Hmmm. au contraire... Our Mayor and The Judge did everything with utmost respect and professionalism. Our Weather professionals gave fair warnings and synopsis of an escalated projective of what could happen. It's not human error, No one can gauge the masterful and fury of Mother Nature. Most people got to comfortable about hurricanes and floods. Most said ehhh no biggie! It's something that no one expected. It even surprised our best meteorologist. So I disagree. With Katrina, Ike and the ones before. Our top people learned and made important improvements to help us. But again. You can't predict weather. But. Technology has advanced. So has our weather. So no one is to blame. It's just a freak of nature. I rest my case.

Bèsame*
08-27-2017, 09:36 PM

We were warned far in advance. And help did arrive so much sooner than Katrina. Some choose to prepare and others thought it was all hype. It's horrible that our town/neighbor's/family and all the others are being effected by something that's uncontrollable. Now is the time to pull together and do the best we can. Support each other.
This is not over...

I think I can recite a tornado warning now...I've heard enough!

JDeere
08-27-2017, 09:40 PM
I disagree with you both but that's how I will leave it.

VintageFemme
08-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Dallas announced its plans to open a "mega-shelter" capable of accommodating 5,000 evacuees at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center. County officials, charitable groups and local hospitals are working to open the shelter by Tuesday morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/harvey-landfall/index.html?sr=twCNN082817harvey-landfall1004AMVODtop

MsTinkerbelly
08-27-2017, 10:12 PM
It shows that the hurricane is going to hit corpus Christi. Houston area will get a ton of rain. Been there done that, put up with it since I was 3.

😑

Since you wrote off the hurricane and the attached issues as "been there done that, put up with it since I was 3", your telling everyone off because they are concerned about all the issues associated with this tragedy is mean spirited and hypocritical.

We know you are scared, we know it's really shitty, but don't crap on the people showing you and others concern.

JDeere
08-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Since you wrote off the hurricane and the attached issues as "been there done that, put up with it since I was 3", your telling everyone off because they are concerned about all the issues associated with this tragedy is mean spirited and hypocritical.

We know you are scared, we know it's really shitty, but don't crap on the people showing you and others concern.

I've been in and out of Texas most my life, I've dealt with a lot. I've seen a lot. You think I'm scared? You are wrong, I'm pissed off. And out of the whole bfp I've had 3 people actually message me and a few rep comments about needing anything. What I need is to get people help not sit here and debate back and forth.

If people really want to help, donate to red cross and other charities.

firegal
08-27-2017, 10:31 PM
I've been in and out of Texas most my life, I've dealt with a lot. I've seen a lot. You think I'm scared? You are wrong, I'm pissed off. And out of the whole bfp I've had 3 people actually message me and a few rep comments about needing anything. What I need is to get people help not sit here and debate back and forth.

Well you are part of the debate you are being critical about.....and dont assume you know what others are doing. My local red cross vehicle left my area for houston 3 days ago...and there are texting donations encouraged on all our media channels and all the union/labor folks are collecting too.

I was part of the post Katrina homes for humanity.... commited for 2 weeks at my expense....so many folks are and can be part of the solution.

dark_crystal
08-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Hmmm. au contraire... Our Mayor and The Judge did everything with utmost respect and professionalism. Our Weather professionals gave fair warnings and synopsis of an escalated projective of what could happen. It's not human error, No one can gauge the masterful and fury of Mother Nature. Most people got to comfortable about hurricanes and floods. Most said ehhh no biggie! It's something that no one expected. It even surprised our best meteorologist. So I disagree. With Katrina, Ike and the ones before. Our top people learned and made important improvements to help us. But again. You can't predict weather. But. Technology has advanced. So has our weather. So no one is to blame. It's just a freak of nature. I rest my case.

Judge Emmet is always on top- one republican I will always cross the line for

*Anya*
08-27-2017, 10:35 PM

I truly don't get why you act the way that you do. You are so frequently irritable and angry with others even when the weather is good, so your response today is not unusual.

People, for the most part, are kind and caring and are genuinely interested in the welfare and safety of others.

It is sincere.

You have no way of knowing who has already donated to the Red Cross. When one gives from the heart, they generally don't announce it to others looking for praise.

I will continue to send my sincere and positive thoughts and prayers to those that are affected by this tragedy. I will continue to hope that everyone is able to stay safe from harm. I also hope that people are alert for gators and snakes and that their own beloved animals are also safe.

JDeere
08-27-2017, 10:35 PM
No need to worry about me anymore, I'm out. I'm going to see if I can get a boat and go help while y'all sit here and bash stuff.

Chained Daisy
08-28-2017, 03:03 AM
I'm seeing truly shocking footage of the devastation people are facing, my hearts go out to all affected, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

girl_dee
08-28-2017, 03:59 AM
Speaking of donations, i have researched the Red Cross in the past, and read some very disturbing things, like only 9 cents of every dollar goes to the relief effort. I just want to be sure the funds are being used wisely.

Does anyone have solid information on where folks should donate to? I normally find animal shelters or local agencies to donate to. During Katrina our help came from churches of every denomination and people like Firegal (thank you ) who have no resources to speak of.

Also folks, disasters can cause people to feel completely unlike themselves. Being a survivor and not being able to do anything to change it, is the most helpless feeling in the world. To watch it happen and not be able to do anything is just horrible.

Please be gentle. It can bring out the best and the worst in people.

*Anya*
08-28-2017, 07:19 AM
USA Today posted ways to help:

Donate money

The best way to help Texans affected by disasters is to donate money to charitable agencies that are experienced in disaster relief, officials say.

Organizations such as the American Red Cross and Salvation Army are trained to respond to disasters such as Harvey, which is pounding the Texas Gulf Coast.

"Right now the best thing people can do is donate money," said Katrina Farmer, director of American Red Cross offices in San Angelo, Abilene and Wichita Falls, Texas cities far from the coastline. "This is going to be an expensive disaster."

While people often want to donate items, Farmer said that isn’t as helpful as money.

"People should not go out and buy things, because they might not be needed," she explained.

Organizations participating in hurricane relief efforts include:

• American Red Cross. To donate visit redcross.org, call 1- 800-RED CROSS or text the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

• The Salvation Army: To donate visit www.helpsalvationarmy.org or call 1-800-725-2769.

• Catholic Charities USA: Visit catholiccharitiesusa.org to donate.

• GlobalGiving: visit https://www.globalgiving.org/harvey. Donors can also text HARVEY to 80100 to donate $10 to GlobalGiving's Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. Message and data rates may apply. Terms: hmgf.org/t. Send a check by writing,"Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund" in the memo line and mailing it to GlobalGiving, 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 550, Washington DC, 20005.

• Save the Children: www.savethechildren.org. Save the Children’s emergency response team is on the ground in San Antonio, Texas, working to meet children and families’ immediate needs

• Apple: The multimedia giant has set up a donation link directly on iTunes and App Store.Visit www.apple.com for more information. Donations will go directly to the American Red Cross.

• Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner established this fund administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation to accept tax-deductible flood-relief donations.

Checks and money orders can be mailed to the Greater Houston Community Foundation, while online credit card donations can be made at www.ghcf.org. Online credit card donations will be assessed a small fee by the credit card companies. Donors have the option of increasing their credit card donations to cover this fee. Wire-transferred cash will also be accepted.

Volunteer

The Red Cross and Salvation Army will be involved with disaster relief efforts, providing shelter, fresh drinking water, food, toiletries, clothes, bedding and other necessities.

They also are involved with rebuilding efforts once the storm has passed and will send trained volunteers to help with the recovery.

The Red Cross and Salvation Army also need volunteers to help at the shelters set up to house people who fled the coast.

• Red Cross: redcross.org/volunteer/.

• Salvation Army: http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/volunteer/

By Friday afternoon, "tens of thousands" of residents on the coast were moving north, filling up shelters in San Antonio, Dallas and Fredericksburg, Farmer said.

Donate blood

Blood centers anticipate a shortage and are putting out urgent pleas for donations. The closure of blood banks and collection centers along the coast paired with likely injuries from the storm will stress existing supplies.

People wishing to donate blood should contact their local community's Red Cross or check for blood banks in their area.

Help a children’s hospital

Driscoll Children’s Hospital, which cares for Corpus Christi’s youngest and most ill patients, was directly in the path of Harvey. The hospital transported many of its patients out of harm’s way, but will likely will need funds to seamlessly continue operating its 189-bed pediatric facility.

Donations can be made online at www.driscollchildrens.org.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/25/heres-how-help-victims-hurricane-harvey/603879001/

A. Spectre
08-28-2017, 07:37 AM
Before and after photos of Houston. Safe passage to all, INCLUDING our animal friends.

https://s.w-x.co/vallepark.gif

https://s.w-x.co/brays-bayou-sudduth.gif

https://s.w-x.co/houston-45-white-oak.gif

dark_crystal
08-28-2017, 09:40 AM
I am suspended from twitter because i was searching all of the tweets saying we should be denied aid (because our Senators voted against Sandy aid) and telling the tweeters "fuck you from Houston"

It seemed like a good way to pass the time but i got reported three tweets in

:superfunny:

now i am bored again

dark_crystal
08-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Speaking of donations, i have researched the Red Cross in the past, and read some very disturbing things, like only 9 cents of every dollar goes to the relief effort. I just want to be sure the funds are being used wisely.

Does anyone have solid information on where folks should donate to? I normally find animal shelters or local agencies to donate to. During Katrina our help came from churches of every denomination and people like Firegal (thank you ) who have no resources to speak of.

Also folks, disasters can cause people to feel completely unlike themselves. Being a survivor and not being able to do anything to change it, is the most helpless feeling in the world. To watch it happen and not be able to do anything is just horrible.

Please be gentle. It can bring out the best and the worst in people.

I gave my money to Portlight (http://www.portlight.org/about.html)

"Portlight Strategies, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization, founded in 1997 to facilitate a variety of projects involving people with disabilities, including post-disaster relief work."

dark_crystal
08-28-2017, 10:37 AM
I am suspended from twitter because i was searching all of the tweets saying we should be denied aid (because our Senators voted against Sandy aid) and telling the tweeters "fuck you from Houston"

now i am bored again

I posted a screenshot of my county's very blue election returns and a man has helpfully explained to me that those were presidential returns and not senatorial and therefore I should not assume that my county did not vote for Ted Cruz

Wow thanks

FireSignFemme
08-28-2017, 01:15 PM
When situations like this occur I wait a bit before rushing to donate. This because after major disasters the recovery period tends to be long and drawn out. Typically charitable organizations are flooded with donations during and immediately after the crisis but as time wears on, often the assistance only comes trickling in or dries up altogether. I give to organizations that are able to give a good account of where the dollars donated are going and those who are able to prove the majority of the funds they receive are going directly to those in need, rather than mostly to the big wig execs running the show.

There are a lot of charity watch groups that can be found online/researched offline in advance, so when disaster strikes I know where to contribute. It's not a one shot thing. Charities can be well run, budgeted, staffed – trusted one year, and then go bust, turn corrupt or simply fail in their mission due to inexperience despite good intentions or how longstanding the next. If unsure about where to donate/give to (because some years despite good intentions I do neglect to do my research) then I usually contribute to a collection center requesting actual physical items rather than money be donated. I buy disaster relief items when I see them on sale for very little. That way even if I am broke I'm able to do at least a little something to help.

Donations like this tend to be banked. When a disaster strikes they will send relief from existing stock to the hard hit areas. New donations are then used to replenish what has been sent to the area that has currently been hit. That way there will be stock on hand when disaster later hits elsewhere that can be distributed without delay, pause. It's important to do some research in advance to determine what a bank of this type collects, where they donate to, and how. For example if they choose to gift to a well run domestic violence shelter or well rated orphanage, but also give to organizations that discriminate against other populations I care about then I'm not going to donate items, but if all checks out to my satisfaction I will.

Here are some links to charity ranking groups/sites. I haven't gone through each one/all the charities listed on them. These are just examples to show what rating groups do. If suggestions a watchdog group, or recommendations from friends fail to suit, there are many more ranking sites online to help me chose a charity to support, give to, help.

https://www.charitywatch.org/home

https://www.charitynavigator.org/

https://www.consumerreports.org/charities/best-charities-for-your-donations/

Bèsame*
08-28-2017, 01:43 PM
I woke to a break in the rain, to take over much needed meds to Blaze. He is now on Code Grey, evacuating patients.
I was able to join the crowd of people at the grocery store this morning. I need cat food, plus I had taken more food to Blaze from my stash. I'm sitting here with no power going on an hour and listening to the loud roar of a generator downstairs. (Some comfort).

I'm going to take the trash out and charge my phone in my car.

Lyte
08-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Wow...those lil f*ckers respond real fast when they wanna! lol :koolaid:

now i am bored again

justkim
08-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Hey all, has anyone heard from Degotoga? Haven't seen any posts since 8/23. I sent a message off but haven't heard anything. Be safe Texas peeps.

*Anya*
08-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Here are some organizations listed on The New York Times today:

Local Organizations

The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund of Houston’s mayor, Sylvester Turner, which is administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.

Houston Food Bank and the Food Bank of Corpus Christi are asking for donations.

Carter BloodCare covers hospitals in north, central and east Texas. To donate, call 877-571-1000 or text DONATE4LIFE to 444-999.

To help animals suffering from the disaster, visit the Houston Humane Society or the San Antonio Humane Society.

The Texas Diaper Bank in San Antonio is asking for diapers and wipes, which can be dropped off in person or mailed to 5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, Tex., 78238.

For more options, the Federal Emergency Management Agency recommends checking with the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster for a list of trusted disaster-relief organizations in Texas.

Online-Only Organizations

Airbnb is waiving service fees for those affected by the disaster and checking in between Aug. 23 and Sept. 1, and can guide users in creating a listing where their home is offered to victims free.

GoFundMe has created a page with all of its Harvey-related campaigns, including one started by the country singer Chris Young, who donated $100,000, and another created by the president and chief executive of the Rockport-Fulton Chamber of Commerce.

YouCaring has a fund-raising page set up by J. J. Watt of the Houston Texans with a goal of $1 million. By 6 p.m. Monday it had raised more than $700,000.

GlobalGiving’s Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund supports local organizations by helping to “meet survivors’ immediate needs for food, fuel, clean water, hygiene products and shelter.” It will also assist with longer-term recovery efforts.

Zimmeh
08-28-2017, 10:06 PM
After much stressing about my niece, I heard from her today. She lives in San Antonio and is safe. I'm worried about PinkeeLee, her wife and their child. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this damn storm.

Zimmeh

Zimmeh
08-28-2017, 10:08 PM
Apparently twitter couldn't handle the truth!

Zimmeh

now i am bored again

Gemme
08-29-2017, 08:30 AM
After much stressing about my niece, I heard from her today. She lives in San Antonio and is safe. I'm worried about PinkeeLee, her wife and their child. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this damn storm.

Zimmeh

Medusa said she heard from PinkieLee!

Be safe out there, y'all. Don't get bit by gators or snakes, don't get electrocuted by downed lines in the water and don't starve or dehydrate yourself. The rest will come. Take care of keeping yourselves alive and the rest will follow. Much love.

Esme nha Maire
08-29-2017, 08:59 AM
With regard to reputable charities that help with disaster relief internationally, my favoured one is Shelterbox: https://www.shelterbox.org/

firegal
08-29-2017, 09:56 AM
The news/today really had a staggering comparison. Most folks know Seattle/tacoma area is known for our rain.....well since jan 2017 till now we have gotten year to date 25.28 inches of rain.

Houston has gotten in the last 72 hours 24.58 inches with 24 more inches predicted in the next few days!!!!!

Its unbelieveable...and tragic.

Zimmeh
08-29-2017, 10:38 AM
If I was able to help, I would. As a survivor of three hurricanes in 2004, everyone stepped up and helped us in Florida. As a licensed nursing assistant, I would help take care of the injured and elderly.

My heart goes out to everyone in Texas.

Zimmeh

StillettoDoll
08-29-2017, 11:35 AM
I did venture out this morning to check out surrounding roads and creeks, so far me and my neighbors doing well. Went to a grocery store near me and had to wait 45 min. just to go inside they are limiting the number of shopper. Watching hundreds of rescues on TV all day long. Lots of coast guard helicopters flying around.
:vigil: No eggs, milk, bread or bananas any where.

Kätzchen
08-29-2017, 03:47 PM
I did venture out this morning to check out surrounding roads and creeks, so far me and my neighbors doing well. Went to a grocery store near me and had to wait 45 min. just to go inside they are limiting the number of shopper. Watching hundreds of rescues on TV all day long. Lots of coast guard helicopters flying around.
:vigil: No eggs, milk, bread or bananas any where.

That's really good to hear you could get to a grocery store which has supplies of some sort, {{{ StilettoDoll }}}.

I imagine keeping grocery stores supplied is critical right now, due to accessibility issues. Do you have enough clean potable water? What about alternative milk supplies? What about pancake and easy to make breads, providing you've got access to a power grid? Do you have enough candles and matches? Batteries for flashlights or radio??? Do you have any emergency flares (just in case of the unthinkable)?

I'm really glad you and your neighbors are somewhat safe!

And thanks for keeping us posted about your situation, too.

Sending lots of good wishes to you and all the other members in our community who are caught up in this crisis! :rrose:

PS: Doll? Do you have all your critical documents handy and ready to go, in case you should have to evacuate with little to no notice??? Those items would most likely be very costly to replace. You probably already thought of it, but I thought I'd ask, just in case.

*Anya*
08-29-2017, 04:03 PM
JJ Watt's GoFundMe for Houston, just broke 3.25 million in donations 45 minutes ago!

His next goal is 5 million!

He started out with a goal of 200K but people broke that in the first hour that he had set it up.

Hurricane Katrina in 2005 was the costliest weather disaster in US history and cost 125 billion dollars (per The Weather channel). Sandy cost 65 billion in 2012.

There is no way to know how much Harvey will wind up costing, either in dollars or human (and animal) suffering.

I think that no matter how much we can afford to donate (to any charity that we chose) it is sorely needed.

:candle:

Bèsame*
08-29-2017, 04:19 PM
JJ Watt's GoFundMe for Houston, just broke 3.25 million in donations 45 minutes ago!

He started out with a goal of 200K but people broke that in the first hour that he had set it up.

Hurricane Katrina in 2005 was the costliest weather disaster in US history and cost 125 billion dollars (per The Weather channel). Sandy cost 65 billion in 2012.

There is no way to know how much Harvey will wind up costing, either in dollars or human (and animal) suffering.

I think that no matter how much we can afford to donate (to any charity that we chose) it is sorely needed.

That is a true outright message of people coming together and helping those in need!

Perhaps you all will see the "helping people" on the news feed now. The trucks driving towards the water towing boats. The big monster trucks. I've heard the helicopters. I've seen the sun today.

The Brazos river, near me, has yet to crest. A record high tomorrow. I'm safe, and Blaze is still at the hospital. I ventured out to make a donation at an evacuation sight. Some local restaurants are open today, taking the days proceeds to pay their employees.

~ocean
08-29-2017, 06:18 PM
That is a true outright message of people coming together and helping those in need!

Perhaps you all will see the "helping people" on the news feed now. The trucks driving towards the water towing boats. The big monster trucks. I've heard the helicopters. I've seen the sun today.

The Brazos river, near me, has yet to crest. A record high tomorrow. I'm safe, and Blaze is still at the hospital. I ventured out to make a donation at an evacuation sight. Some local restaurants are open today, taking the days proceeds to pay their employees.

((((((((((((Texans)))))))))))) my heart is broken for all of you, seeing your words of pain and suffering puts a reality to the news. My family is making a point to go to the grocery store daily and add food to the collection trucks. God Bless ~

homoe
08-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Has anyone heard from Jess?

~ocean
08-29-2017, 06:28 PM
Has anyone heard from Jess?

(((((homoe))))) I've left messages but no return call yet. I'll let you know if I hear from Jess.

Anyone hear from Cricket ?

homoe
08-29-2017, 06:30 PM
(((((homoe))))) I've left messages but no return call yet. I'll let you know if I hear from Jess.

Yes, cricket is OK!

Zimmeh
08-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Starbucks has donated $250,000 to help the cities in Texas that has been devastated. You can make a donation to Red Cross at any Starbucks. Tomorrow, I will be donating what I can to help the citizens of Texas.

Zimmeh

justkim
08-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Jess checked in on FB. Said he is doing good and has not been affected by flooding so far.

Genesis
08-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Jess checked in on FB. Said he is doing good and has not been affected by flooding so far.

Thank you for the update, Kim... It is appreciated :bunchflowers:

Bèsame*
08-30-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm still safe, and camping out at home. Blaze returned to the hospital thru the weekend now.

We are in constant communication, texting, pictures and lots of phone calls.

This is so devastating to see the first aerial pictures come in this afternoon.

Degotoga
08-30-2017, 08:17 PM
Hey everybody! Thank you to those of you that reached out and were concerned about my safety, it truly means a lot to me. Apologies for going off grid at a time like this but, being as I'm a First Responder, I deployed with a strike team that was one of the first teams into Houston. Relief teams were able to make it in this morning so my team just returned home today, after several days of fighting for and with all those affected. My heart goes out to each and every person affected by this event. The amount of water and the subsequent devastation is mind boggling. I'm sincerely relieved to see my Houston area BFP family is safe. Here's hoping Mr. Jenny is able to safely return home, soon. Hang in there Houston, we as First Responders (from around the Nation) aren't done with y'all yet; we will continue to be there with and for you throughout the remainder of the rescue and recovery, as well as the clean-up and rebuild. We are Texas strong!

*Anya*
08-31-2017, 07:29 AM
According to the news this morning, the fund is now up to 9 million. I just hope that the money gets to the people that need it.

JJ stated that no administration costs will be taken out and that all will go to relief efforts.

What that entails, I have not yet been able to find out.

His new goal is 10 million.

girl_dee
08-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Whoever asked about Jess, he is fine. So thankful the levees are holding up

homoe
08-31-2017, 08:33 AM
Whoever asked about Jess, he is fine. So thankful the levees are holding up

Thanks Dee...............

dark_crystal
08-31-2017, 09:05 AM
Spent the morning learning how to help evacuees file for FEMA assistance. Feels good to be helping!

A. Spectre
08-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Pet rescues in Houston

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/pet-rescue-hurricane-harvey2-gty-mem-170828_4x3_992.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/pet-rescue-hurricane-harvey-rt-mem-170828_4x3_992.jpg

https://www.dailydot.com/wp-content/uploads/0e3/55/214c3b92baa4a237-2048x1024.jpg

https://mediaweb.kirotv.com/photo/2017/08/29/Harvey_Smit_1504045114660_8996764_ver1.0_640_360.j pg

https://typeset-beta.imgix.net/uploads/getty/2017/8/25/49ec47aa-7925-4f3c-b82a-791668474977-getty-81553993.jpg?w=614&h=&fit=max&auto=format&fm=jpg&q=70

http://www.ntd.tv/assets/uploads/2017/08/Screen-Shot-2017-08-29-at-6.30.52-AM.png

https://static.youcaring.com/api/uploads/fundraisers/918392/aea33093-256d-4c0f-9cca-60e774466997_profile.jpg

*For that POS who left two dogs in a locked crate to drown. A big YOU WILL GET YOURS!

Vivacious1
08-31-2017, 06:09 PM
but.... gotta give kudos to all the folks that gave of themselves to help! Go Cajun Navy! ( yes, I'm a little biased)
The coolest story, so one of the guys from the Cajun Navy were gassing up early in the storm to go to Houston... another guy at store asked where he was going... He replied, Houston... so the guy opened his wallet and emptied it to give towards gas... not only that, but then others at the gas station start giving money, water, beer, whatever they could! Awesome! I know there are so many that helped in so many ways... Just an example of the good! And of course, I had to brag on fellow Louisiana peeps:)

Zimmeh
08-31-2017, 10:26 PM
I am not able to travel to Texas and help out. Today, I donated $25 to the American Red Cross to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey. I know it's not much, but it's what I could give. My heart and thoughts go out to everyone in Coastal Texas.

Zimmeh

Chad
08-31-2017, 10:40 PM
I am not able to travel to Texas and help out. Today, I donated $25 to the American Red Cross to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey. I know it's not much, but it's what I could give. My heart and thoughts go out to everyone in Coastal Texas.

Zimmeh

Thank you friend.

Zimmeh
09-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Your welcome!

Zimmeh

Thank you friend.

firegal
09-01-2017, 09:43 AM
The news reported today a plane is coming to seattle from texas with a few hundred cats rescued from the flooding and 2 days ago another plane came with over 300 dogs and cats. They are finding folks to foster these animals with the hope of finding the owners.

girl_dee
09-05-2017, 05:42 AM
So now we have Irma to watch. This seems to be a different type of storm than Harvey. Harvey didn't have a clear direction and sat forever dropping record levels of rain. Just horrible.

Irma looks to be a freight train moving full steam ahead.

Lyte
09-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Those photos are just awesome! :koolaid:

I thought about that situation if it were me... I get how there are instances when people are damn near fleeing for their lives ... I don't think I could without my pets. TG though I have only little buggers now. Previously I had two 100+ lbs. Corsos and I don't think most would be ... hmm, thrilled(?) ... to have them in their boat. lol :p

Pet rescues in Houston

girl_dee
09-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Those photos are just awesome! :koolaid:

I thought about that situation if it were me... I get how there are instances when people are damn near fleeing for their lives ... I don't think I could without my pets. TG though I have only little buggers now. Previously I had two 100+ lbs. Corsos and I don't think most would be ... hmm, thrilled(?) ... to have them in their boat. lol :p

People wonder why so many people stayed for Katrina. This is partly why. i evacuated many times and took my pets with me, but shelters didn't allow them. Hell hotels didn't allow them but when i just had my little dog i snuck her in.

Once i had a diarrhea inflicted rescue cat and a conure parrot in the backseat and my mother in the front seat. That was a fun 18 hours on the interstate. i had a couple of french ducks that i had raised from babies that i left at home. They found their kennels in my patio and went in them, and drowned. Animals do crazy things in a crisis.

One good thing that happened is they changed the laws and people can bring their pets now.

Lyte
09-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Oh yeah... I'd be one of those who didn't leave if I couldn't take my pets!

I'm so sorry re: your ducks. Animals get very conditioned to a safe place and head for it in a crisis ... like they're on auto pilot. :(

People wonder why so many people stayed for Katrina. This is partly why. i evacuated many times and took my pets with me, but shelters didn't allow them. Hell hotels didn't allow them but when i just had my little dog i snuck her in.

Once i had a diarrhea inflicted rescue cat and a conure parrot in the backseat and my mother in the front seat. That was a fun 18 hours on the interstate. i had a couple of french ducks that i had raised from babies that i left at home. They found their kennels in my patio and went in them, and drowned. Animals do crazy things in a crisis.

One good thing that happened is they changed the laws and people can bring their pets now.

girl_dee
09-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah... I'd be one of those who didn't leave if I couldn't take my pets!

I'm so sorry re: your ducks. Animals get very conditioned to a safe place and head for it in a crisis ... like they're on auto pilot. :(

Yes and in my mind i am thinking they would have known to go anywhere to be safe. i could not have taken them, but it didn't make me feel any better.

i am really worried for my family New Orleans for Irma. i am also thankful i got the hell out of there.

Lyte
09-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Totally understandable... re: the ducks and your family.

I've not peeped the news re: Irma ... it's headed to NO?! :blink:

Yes and in my mind i am thinking they would have known to go anywhere to be safe. i could not have taken them, but it didn't make me feel any better.

i am really worried for my family New Orleans for Irma. i am also thankful i got the hell out of there.

Gráinne
09-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Totally understandable... re: the ducks and your family.

I've not peeped the news re: Irma ... it's headed to NO?! :blink:

Too early to tell, but it seems to be following a Katrina-like path across south Florida (and then Katrina of course spun into the Gulf).

girl_dee
09-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Too early to tell, but it seems to be following a Katrina-like path across south Florida (and then Katrina of course spun into the Gulf).

exactly so i am going against my intuition which is to stay off the weather channel.

girl_dee
09-07-2017, 04:23 AM
Florida peeps? .........

Gemme
09-07-2017, 04:53 AM
Saw a forecast model that shows it as a Cat 4 upon impact, Cat 3 around Orlando and a Cat 1 as it moves into GA and the Carolinas.

It could go any way but everyone please be safe.

girl_dee
09-07-2017, 05:33 AM
Saw a forecast model that shows it as a Cat 4 upon impact, Cat 3 around Orlando and a Cat 1 as it moves into GA and the Carolinas.

It could go any way but everyone please be safe.

This one is a monster. Katrina hit land as a Cat3 from a Cat 5 and it was not as powerful as this one.

Zimmeh
09-07-2017, 09:11 PM
I will be finished packing up my apartment by Saturday. I will be working from Saturday night until Tuesday at the latest. I pray for the people in South Florida where Irma is expected to be a Cat 5 hurricane when it makes landfall. U-haul is offering free storage to the residents of Florida.

Zimmeh

Florida peeps? .........

Martina
09-07-2017, 11:34 PM
No way to know yet, but it doesn't look like it's gonna hit the gulf side. Either east coast or up the middle of the state. So I am not evacuating. The highway that goes through my town has been super congested going north. I gave up on getting a haircut today. Not worth fighting the traffic. I waited 20 mins Wednesday for gas.

Fingers crossed. I dread a possible power outage in this heat.

~ocean
09-08-2017, 01:09 AM
((((((((( everyone ))))))))))))) in IRMA'S path ~ God Bless

Esme nha Maire
09-08-2017, 03:10 AM
Reminds me, , here's a link to a Shelterbox vid on Irma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kVy45OTyEU

Stay safe, folks - may deity watch over you.

Esme xx

girl_dee
09-08-2017, 04:07 AM
as far inland as i am, there is now water left. People are ordering off of Amazon.

MsTinkerbelly
09-08-2017, 10:32 PM
No way to know yet, but it doesn't look like it's gonna hit the gulf side. Either east coast or up the middle of the state. So I am not evacuating. The highway that goes through my town has been super congested going north. I gave up on getting a haircut today. Not worth fighting the traffic. I waited 20 mins Wednesday for gas.

Fingers crossed. I dread a possible power outage in this heat.

The path predictions keep going back and forth between the direct hit being up the middle or the WEST coast...please consider going to a shelter tomorrow morning just in case they are right about it going west. (f)

girl_dee
09-09-2017, 07:02 AM
They have opened evacuation shelters here in Greenville just to be on the safe side, but i don't think it will be necessary.

my heart is so heavy for all affected, this thing is unreal.

Still waiting for it to take the northerly turn. Looks like the Gulf side may get a direct hit

Toolio
09-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Hi all and to those affected by Irma my thoughts are with you.....So far light just flickered once

Tool

Blade
09-09-2017, 09:08 AM
as far inland as i am, there is now water left. People are ordering off of Amazon.

Dee, as far inland As You Are just a few miles east of you was riddled with Hurricane Hugo. Now that they are forecasting it to go west of us our biggest threat being on the east side of the storm is tree damage from the winds and the fact that we have already had a lot of rain this year. People here go just as crazy now over hurricanes as they do 3 flakes of snow in the winter. If you have driven to our mountains and our Coast you can almost Define the line between the Piedmont and the foothills and the Piedmont and the Sandhills. I grew up in South Carolina and when I got grown I swore when I bought a house it would not be on sand and there would not be a pine tree on the place. LOL that said those pine trees snap like a twig in these storms thus the reason you can't find any water and places are running out of gas. No power means no gas and no water unless your own city or county and they don't cut it off. I'm just thankful it moved and is not going straight over the top of us

girl_dee
09-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Dee, as far inland As You Are just a few miles east of you was riddled with Hurricane Hugo. Now that they are forecasting it to go west of us our biggest threat being on the east side of the storm is tree damage from the winds and the fact that we have already had a lot of rain this year. People here go just as crazy now over hurricanes as they do 3 flakes of snow in the winter. If you have driven to our mountains and our Coast you can almost Define the line between the Piedmont and the foothills and the Piedmont and the Sandhills. I grew up in South Carolina and when I got grown I swore when I bought a house it would not be on sand and there would not be a pine tree on the place. LOL that said those pine trees snap like a twig in these storms thus the reason you can't find any water and places are running out of gas. No power means no gas and no water unless your own city or county and they don't cut it off. I'm just thankful it moved and is not going straight over the top of us

Hey Blade,

i don't know exactly where you are but i know as glad as i am for us (Greenville county) i don't like being on the east coast of any storm. My house in New Orleans flooded once when a storm hit Galveston.

The wind is wicked here today, and its a strange reminder of whats coming for us or whomever.

i know that during the crazy wind that a storm brings are the tornadoes that come out of now where, snap a ton of trees and go back up.

Where i live we have some huge trees on two sides, and i am not going to like it.

i am going to gas up my car today, not sure why but its what you do, and i have provisions just in case. i don't expect to need any of it, but one jog to the east and we are in trouble.

Toolio
09-09-2017, 12:20 PM
I made a joke about mother nature being mad so getting bathed and wind dried in my odd sense humor lol

Blade
09-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Dee I was thinking the same thing about the trees. Ima park my truck out in the front forty where there are no trees. My house is however surrounded by huge oak trees, they make me nervous but I love them the other 90% of the time. Beautiful here today, just a tiny breeze. Ima finish mowing this evening. Im on a hill so I dont worry about flooding but these trees do make me cringe

Martina
09-12-2017, 07:56 PM
I am fine. Just got internet back. I never lost power. Nothing's open and I need to get to the doc or urgent care about this ear/sinus infection. But that and some tree limbs down are the worst of it. I own a mobile home south of here, and I haven't gone to check on it. The tenants evacuated, so I guess I'll hear when they get back.

JDeere
09-12-2017, 08:00 PM
I am fine. Just got internet back. I never lost power. Nothing's open and I need to get to the doc or urgent care about this ear/sinus infection. But that and some tree limbs down are the worst of it. I own a mobile home south of here, and I haven't gone to check on it. The tenants evacuated, so I guess I'll hear when they get back.

Glad to hear you are safe, except the ear/sinus infection!

girl_dee
09-13-2017, 03:44 AM

i hope you get some relief soon and that you are fine.

FireSignFemme
09-14-2017, 04:23 AM
I heard from MysticOceansFL. They're still without power but she's doing okay and asked me to tell you she says hello.

girl_dee
09-14-2017, 09:49 AM
I heard from MysticOceansFL. They're still without power but she's doing okay and asked me to tell you she says hello.

Thank you !

Zimmeh
09-19-2017, 08:04 PM
I spent 27 hours from Sunday afternoon to Monday evening at work. I ended up working nearly 75 hours last week and now we have to keep an eye on Hurricane Maria! Keep the Caribbean in your thoughts. Dominican Republic from my understand was hit and now they are predicting this hurricane to hit Puerto Rico and continue to follow Irma's path. ����

Zimmeh

Kobi
09-20-2017, 12:05 PM
Jose has weakened and gone east enough to spare us. Dont know how things are on Nantucket but its just minor wind and occasional rain here.

He is now doing a 360 loop off the coast over the next few days. So, expecting continuing crappy weather thru Saturday.

The good news is, the longer Jose lingers, the greater the chances it will pull Hurricane Maria away from the coast. After seeing the pictures from Puerto Rico, I dont want to mess with that one next week.

Gemme
09-22-2017, 05:25 AM
A forecast model shows Maria hooking back to the left again. I hope not. Not good at all.

Kobi
09-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Today is day 4 of Jose vacationing off the coast. They are saying he will stay around thru the weekend, gradually weakening along the way. I'm ignoring the graphics that show him looping and basically being in the same place Monday as he is right now.

Each day has brought more rain, higher winds, swelling waves, and, in general, relatively minor mayhem. Scattered power outages, a few trees down, many tree parts strewn about. After getting bopped a few times cleaning the tree parts from the driveway, today I will remember to wear a bike helmet when I shovel them up.

The ocean has been in turmoil with the water foaming, and reaching the entry platforms on both the ocean and bay sides. But, as the bad weather comes in waves with an hour or two of calm in between, there has not been any significant flooding. Havent seen anyone para-sailing or surfing. Nor have there been any seagulls, birds, or other critters out and about since Tuesday.

Hoping Maria will follow Jose's path. The ocean temps here are barely 60, with Jose stirring up the even cooler waters beneath the surface. Not warm enough to sustain a hurricane but still warm enough for a tropical storm.

Either way, it is better to be on the east side of a storm rather than the west. It will suck for us at the coast either way but will spare millions of others and billions in property damage.

Happy Fall!

Kobi
10-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Hope all in the gulf area are ready for the next storm. Please, stay safe and check in when you can.

Orema
12-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Here is a link that includes map and locations of the recent fire activity in Southern California.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

Chad
01-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Bump!

Check-in for our frozen friends in the northeast.

Stay safe friends.

Kobi
01-06-2018, 08:15 AM
We were lucky with the storm that blew thru here on Thursday. Mostly rain. Minimal tree damage from the winds - the unexpected wind storm on Xmas morning had taken down most of the not healthy, not well rooted ones. Scattered and short lived power outages.

We did have a lot of flooding tho. Commerical St in Ptown was a river of water. Many cars got stuck trying to get thru the 6 foot "puddles" along the marsh roadways. Homes around the harbors had to be evacuated when the tides exceeded expectations.

The weirdest thing was the ocean/marsh iceberg chunks blocking the roads when the tides receded. Had to bring out the backhoes to clear those.

Thankfully the sun was out yesterday and today. Temps in the single digits during the days and below zero at night. With the exception of a few hours of heavy winds last night, it has been relatively calm.

The good news is the thaw begins on Sunday night, with temps next week in the 30's and 40's. Will be nice to be able to wear one layer of clothing rather than three!

Kenna
01-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Be safe if you MUST go out during this mess. If your gov declared a State of Emergency, that generally means stay home and if you're an employer, don't punish your staff for staying home!

"Charlotte Mecklenburg Police responded to 169 wrecks between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. Wednesday, and state troopers took 700 service calls, including more than 500 crashes before noon."

girl_dee
01-17-2018, 04:39 PM
A woman in New Orleans ventured out and and slid into a ditch, with her kid in the car. Rescuers jumped in and got them out, but they are in critical condition.

Why can’t people just STAY HOME when they advise to! ?

Kenna
01-17-2018, 04:56 PM
A woman in New Orleans ventured out and and slid into a ditch, with her kid in the car. Rescuers jumped in and got them out, but they are in critical condition.

Why can’t people just STAY HOME when they advise to! ?

That's sad. I hope they'll be ok.
Most people are afraid they'll lose their jobs when their employers make them report to work or make them feel like they are easy to replace...many employers don't close or care about their employees' safety during a State of Emergency. I've worked for places like Blue Cross or a warehouse that told us if we didn't show up for our shift, we wouldn't have a job tomorrow. These companies are famous for not closing during bad storms.

YEARS ago, I got fired from Merillat Cabinet factory the day after I totaled my car in a blizzard at 10pm on the way to drop my son off at his baby sitter so I could report to night shift. I NEEDED that job and they had a Zero tolerance policy for call offs.

girl_dee
01-17-2018, 04:59 PM
That's sad. I hope they'll be ok.
Most people are afraid they'll lose their jobs when their employers make them report to work or make them feel like they are easy to replace...many employers don't close or care about their employees' safety during a State of Emergency. I've worked for places like Blue Cross or a warehouse that told us if we didn't show up for our shift, we wouldn't have a job tomorrow. These companies are famous for not closing during bad storms.

YEARS ago, I got fired from Merillat Cabinet factory the day after I totaled my car in a blizzard at 10pm on the way to drop my son off at his baby sitter so I could report to night shift. I NEEDED that job and they had a Zero tolerance policy for call offs.

Also, having to take off without pay is NOT an incentive to stay home and safe.

Kenna
01-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Also, having to take off without pay is NOT an incentive to stay home and safe.

True. But when there's a State of Emergency all companies should pay "admin time" like when I worked for one company that did pay us for any time they sent us home or closed.

RockOn
01-17-2018, 05:42 PM
My supervisor texted me and told me not to come to work today. Another text later said wait until noon tomorrow to come back to work. It will be written off to administrative leave.

We had over three inches of snow last night, it never went above the 20s today so the roads are still icy.

It is sad when employers do not care about the people who work for them. I have friends in Florida who were made to ride out Hurricane Irma because they had to stay and box up the important employees' paperwork and other stuff. It was too late after that for them to get out. Hearing about this made me so angry. Needs to be a Federal law that covers and protects EVERYONE in regards to life-threatening situations.

girl_dee
01-17-2018, 05:51 PM
True. But when there's a State of Emergency all companies should pay "admin time" like when I worked for one company that did pay us for any time they sent us home or closed.

Totally agree! Mine does not.

TL1
01-17-2018, 09:11 PM
I think we are at 10 to 11 inches of snow!

Speaking of work......
For us they tell us not to come in if we don’t feel safe. The company doesn’t close and we have to use from our pto if we want to get paid. I’m staying home... today and tomorrow. Reason? Other drivers! I had no problems driving up north in the snow but here it gets insane. People sliding and hitting the breaks I just don’t get why they can not GET it. It’s all good I don’t mind the couple days off. :)

girl_dee
01-18-2018, 05:38 AM
I think we are at 10 to 11 inches of snow!

Speaking of work......
For us they tell us not to come in if we don’t feel safe. The company doesn’t close and we have to use from our pto if we want to get paid. I’m staying home... today and tomorrow. Reason? Other drivers! I had no problems driving up north in the snow but here it gets insane. People sliding and hitting the breaks I just don’t get why they can not GET it. It’s all good I don’t mind the couple days off. :)

i am right there with you! Our drivers cannot drive in perfect conditions. It’s 15 degrees and there is ice everywhere.

i do mind these days off as they don’t pay us for them, and i really don’t want to use vacation time for this.

One thing you cannot control, is the weather :cold:

Gemme
01-18-2018, 06:30 AM

Absolutely but companies get out of it when a state of emergency is not in effect by saying 'if you feel comfortable to do so', come in. That way, they take liability off of the table. They don't have to pay and they don't get any feedback if something happens while on the way to work due to the weather conditions. My company is like this and if I can't stay due to the weather, I have to take from my time bank.

We didn't get a lot of snow yesterday but then the misty rain made it all slushy and what didn't melt, froze, so there's a ton of ice out there.

Kobi
03-03-2018, 08:27 AM
The rain finally turned to drizzle. The sun is peeking out a bit. The winds are back to a steady 20 mph with higher level gusts. Compared to yesterday, it is eerily quiet.

On a cursory look out the windows - the windows and skylights are intact, the property dividing fence is toast, there are tree parts all over but the trees are still in the ground.

80% of the town has no electricity. Not a surprise. Could hear the transformers popping last night. Additional crews are being brought in from other states to help restore power. Power flickers here but never went out.

The emergency center call came in about 8am warning people to stay off the roads because of all the downed trees and wires, and street flooding. With all the sirens out there, I'm gathering people didnt heed the warning.

High tide is in 2 hours. After that, the storm should be far enough out for the waters to finally recede before tonights high tide.

Really itching to see the bay side harbor. Millions were spent 2 years ago to dredge, rebuild, and fortify the area. Yesterday at high tide, the sea water was pouring into the surrounding parking areas and buildings.

Word to the wise....never buy property between the harbor and the marsh as they strive to become one during these kinds of storms.

Time to find the bike helmet and go shovel the debris in the driveway.

Has anyone heard from Gemme?

AmazonDC
03-03-2018, 09:24 AM
The rain finally turned to drizzle. The sun is peeking out a bit. The winds are back to a steady 20 mph with higher level gusts. Compared to yesterday, it is eerily quiet.

On a cursory look out the windows - the windows and skylights are intact, the property dividing fence is toast, there are tree parts all over but the trees are still in the ground.

80% of the town has no electricity. Not a surprise. Could hear the transformers popping last night. Additional crews are being brought in from other states to help restore power. Power flickers here but never went out.

The emergency center call came in about 8am warning people to stay off the roads because of all the downed trees and wires, and street flooding. With all the sirens out there, I'm gathering people didnt heed the warning.

High tide is in 2 hours. After that, the storm should be far enough out for the waters to finally recede before tonights high tide.

Really itching to see the bay side harbor. Millions were spent 2 years ago to dredge, rebuild, and fortify the area. Yesterday at high tide, the sea water was pouring into the surrounding parking areas and buildings.

Word to the wise....never buy property between the harbor and the marsh as they strive to become one during these kinds of storms.

Time to find the bike helmet and go shovel the debris in the driveway.

Has anyone heard from Gemme?

Gemme is fine talked to her this morning she hasn't had power for 1.5 days. She's going to call when her power is back on so she doesn't run down the cell battery

Kobi
03-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Gemme is fine talked to her this morning she hasn't had power for 1.5 days. She's going to call when her power is back on so she doesn't run down the cell battery

Thanks for the update. The power company just called with their update....expect outages to last for a couple of days as they work around the clock to restore power.

Unfortunately, the winds are gusting in the 40-50 mph range again. More trees and power lines are coming down.

The police have started posting pics of cars smushed by trees but it isnt stopping the traffic out there. Neither are the ones showing live wires catching fire.

Oh well, it could be worse.

Kobi
03-03-2018, 02:33 PM
This is sad. The police just posted a pic from my favorite town beach on the ocean side.

There is a snack bar off the parking lot facing the beach. There used to be a 40 foot walkway from the snack bar to the stairway that led down to the beach off a 20 foot cliff. The storm in January took out the stairway and eroded about 10 feet of cliff. Now the walkway is gone and the "cliff" is at street level with the Atlantic trickling into the parking lot.

This is what it used to look like:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/64/14/46/6414465b1b9616894cf797215a5f363d.jpg

This is the link to the video of what it looks like now:

Nauset reconfiguration (https://www.facebook.com/orleanspolice/videos/1701537829869708/)

Good thing the town bought the property on the cliffs above the parking lot.

One of the perks of living in a small town is that when weather causes trees to fall across roadways, the town cuts enough of the tree to open the road. The rest is left for folks with fireplaces and wood stoves to come cut up for their own use. The town will clean up what is leftover in a few days.

Here, I am waiting on the landscapers to deal with the 2 40+ feet pine trees off my deck. One is leaning on the other which is also starting to lean. Hoping the wind stay from the north so when they fall, it will be away from the building.

Seriously, too too fucking old for this shit.

Gemme
03-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Power came back on a couple of hours ago. There are still about 2000 people in my city without power.

It also rained, snow showered, snowed and who knows what earlier. Clearly, Riley wants to be remembered.

Stone-Butch
03-04-2018, 11:56 PM
49 and sunny for 3 days now and no snow in Toronto area.

Kobi
03-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Well, the brunt of the storm is approaching. Winds were gusting in the 50's but are taking a bit of a breather at the moment. Heavy snowfall is starting.

It is a heavy wet snow. So trees are coming down again. Branches are hanging. Power is out to over 35% of town. This is better than PTown which has no power at all. Lights and internet are flickering here.

Gonna be a long day. Thinking it might be nap time.