PDA

View Full Version : Question

tara_kerrie
05-26-2013, 09:50 PM
I was reading some of the threads tonight and came up with a question.
What is the difference between transgender and transsexual?

Nadeest
05-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Transgender is an umbrella term that covers all the various sorts of people that have some degree of gender dysphoria or deal with gender, in a different manner then 'normal'. It includes tranvestites, transsexuals, crossdressers, drag kings, drag queens, and genderqueer people. Intersexed people are sometimes included in this catagory, as well.

Transsexuals, on the other hand, have a severe amount of gender dysphoria, such that they wish to, or choose to transition to the opposite gender. Basically, for me, as an male to female transsexual, i found that i have a female mind and gender identity, but was stuck with a male body, at birth. For female to male transsexuals, it is the other way around.

Do realize, however, that not all transsexuals choose to transition. There are various reasons for this, including, but not limited to, age, medical conditions, and $. Either way one goes, it can be a very rough journey.

tara_kerrie
05-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Transgender is an umbrella term that covers all the various sorts of people that have some degree of gender dysphoria or deal with gender, in a different manner then 'normal'. It includes tranvestites, transsexuals, crossdressers, drag kings, drag queens, and genderqueer people. Intersexed people are sometimes included in this catagory, as well.

Transsexuals, on the other hand, have a severe amount of gender dysphoria, such that they wish to, or choose to transition to the opposite gender. Basically, for me, as an male to female transsexual, i found that i have a female mind and gender identity, but was stuck with a male body, at birth. For female to male transsexuals, it is the other way around.

Do realize, however, that not all transsexuals choose to transition. There are various reasons for this, including, but not limited to, age, medical conditions, and $. Either way one goes, it can be a very rough journey.

Thank you for responding!

Nadeest
05-27-2013, 07:41 PM
You are very welcome. Feel free to pm me, if you feel more comfortable, if you need to ask more questions.

rocky 781
06-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know or ever heard that taking T could change a persons sexual orientation.:cigar2::cigar2::cigar2::cigar2:

thedivahrrrself
06-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know or ever heard that taking T could change a persons sexual orientation.:cigar2::cigar2::cigar2::cigar2:

I have not heard of this happening with T, but I have heard of it happening in MTF transitions, so I would guess that it's possible.

CXanderRun
06-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Uh, Well.. you see while I don't believe T changes the persons sexual orientation I do know many transgender individuals that have in fact become much more comfortable with themselves after being on T for awhile and did in fact date other men. Some other FTM's and some Bio males. However I don't believe it's the T changing the person. I believe it is that person opening up to other possibilities.

DapperButch
06-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Excellent definition. As an aside to Kerrie, many people use the term transgender to mean transsexual (people in both the trans and cis communities do this). In fact, in my experience, transitioning transmen (especially the younger guys), do not like the term transsexual attached to them, and prefer transgender.

The above is unfortunate because I think that it confuses the issue. I was glad Nadeest gave the original meanings of the words.

Uh, Well.. you see while I don't believe T changes the persons sexual orientation I do know many transgender individuals that have in fact become much more comfortable with themselves after being on T for awhile and did in fact date other men. Some other FTM's and some Bio males. However I don't believe it's the T changing the person. I believe it is that person opening up to other possibilities.

You took the words right out of my mouth. This is indeed what the academic literature, plus anecdotal evidence shows.

Nadeest
06-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't think that it is taking "T" that does it, nor is it taking "E". Remember, when we start transitioning, we have to tear down the facade that we have erected to show the world, and find out who we truly are, inside. This, to my mind, often demands that we examine our sexual orientation, just as we do every other part of our lives.

Mind you, I could certainly be wrong in this, as I am NOT a mental health professional, of any kind, let alone one with experience in treating transsexual individuals. Nor am I WPATH certified. This is simply what I have observed.

EnderD_503
06-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I was reading some of the threads tonight and came up with a question.
What is the difference between transgender and transsexual?

Over time the definitions have changed, but ultimately the "difference" is based on how a person identifies. I just think it's always best to just go with how a person identifies.

Often the definition of transsexual used is someone who either wants or pursues HRT and/or surgery of some kind. But then there are plenty of people who are on hormones and/or have had surgery who identify as trans or transgender, but not transsexual (and the other way around, of course). For example, I've had top surgery but identify just as trans (instead of transgender or transsexual). I don't really like the word transsexual because of the history/origins of the word and its attachment to the psychiatric/medical community. I'm more apt to use transgender if people don't understand "trans," but still don't use transgender as a term that really defines me because of misconceptions of what "gender" means in relation to a trans person (as in the belief that a transguy is a "man" but his sex is "female,' whereas I see my sex as male regardless of what I was assigned at birth. Basically, I couldn't care less about my "gender," but my sex is male as far as I'm concerned no matter what choices I've made about my body).

Sounds complicated, but it's less complicated when you just go with how people identify :p

EnderD_503
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM

I've heard some transguys say that they become more interested (or exclusively interested) in men after they go on T. But it's more likely that it has less to do with the T and more to do with the fact that they feel more comfortable being sexual with other guys once their bodies look more as they want them to. It's easy to feel uncomfortable being naked or sexual around cis guys when you aren't on T or haven't had top surgery or worry about how the guy will see you/not finding many gay men who will be attracted to you, so once some of that discomfort or barriers dissipate attraction and/or opportunity might increase. In other cases, a transguy might have been pansexual to begin with but finds that he has less opportunity to date women than he did before T and more opportunity to date men than before T (especially if the majority who he dated were queer/lesbians).

AlexHunter
06-24-2013, 11:25 PM

I've heard this. There are plenty of debates and philosophies about it.

One trans* guy I know told me testosterone changed his sexual orientation from female-preferring (exclusively) to having (and acting on) attractions to both women and men. He swears up and down he had no sexual attraction to men prior to taking T. At all. Ever. He is very comfortable with his newfound sexuality, though.

I had another one tell me that he noticed himself having a random sexual thought about a man and was very disturbed. He hasn't had any others, but has since speculated that many straight cis guys going through puberty have had a sexual thought or two about another dude, even if brief.

Comfort in a new skin also may make some feel more free to explore all possibilities, as noted above.

In my experience, testosterone has helped give me the well-defined sexuality of a heterosexual male. I always loved women... I just love them that much more when I have an added shot of male biology. :) Testosterone has made me feel a new comfort in both asserting my boundaries and boldly stating what I want and enjoy. Looking and feeling more like my vision of self has been so beneficial to my sexual expression. I feel bonded to my body in ways I never did pre-T (frankly, I felt completely disconnected and now I see a hope of feeling otherwise) and I know it only gets more awesome from here.

rocky 781
07-27-2013, 08:25 PM
thank you for all the insight it is greatly appreciated
:cigar2::cigar2::cigar2::cigar2::cowboy::cowboy::c owboy::cowboy::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar: