PDA

View Full Version : Lumosity, do you?

UofMfan
08-06-2013, 03:59 PM
I was gifted a membership to Lumosity a while back and I have been wondering if there are any other people here that use it.

If so, what is your BPI?

What is your best Brain area?

Do you think it helps?

How often do you train?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Blade
08-06-2013, 04:50 PM
I saw this thread and hadn't heard of it so I googled Lumo, and a commercial came on TV advertising it. I'm going to check it out. Certainly I need a brain boost.

Mopsie
08-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I did a free trial of luminosity and really enjoyed it!

I have a pretty tight budget so I didn't pay for a membership but if I had the money I would definitely do it. I kept playing a number of the games over and over again without completing the trial so that I could milk the free trial.

I don't remember my BPI, but remember that I needed to improve on the word games more than the math/spatial. (That's been true for most of my life.)

I thought it was fun - I used it several times a week during my lunch hour. Also in the short time I used it, I noticed I was doing better with my memory and word recall.

Have you done much on there yet?

UofMfan
08-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Check it out Blade, I found it to be very helpful and my Brain Profile Index has improved tremendously.

UofMfan
08-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Mopsie, I have been doing it since November last year.

It is pricey and I am lucky it was gifted to me, but I was told that there are coupons available online so you may end up paying about half of the listed price.

I try to train everyday unless I am unable to, like a few days back. I find that the consistency really helps with my Index and I notice a significant improvement.

Overall I have noticed major improvement in all areas of the brain I chose to train in, but most importantly my memory has steadily improved. At my age, this is a good thing :)

Bad_boi
08-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Looks like a scam to me.

UofMfan
08-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Looks like a scam to me.

Wow, can you expound? I am not even sure how you got there but would like to know.

Bad_boi
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Wow, can you expound? I am not even sure how you got there but would like to know.

It looks like one of those gimmicky things that don't actually help you think, they might make you think you are smarter by increasing your vocab or something but to me it just seems like hype meant to get you to fork over money.

UofMfan
08-09-2013, 08:31 AM
It looks like one of those gimmicky things that don't actually help you think, they might make you think you are smarter by increasing your vocab or something but to me it just seems like hype meant to get you to fork over money.

First of all, you can do it for free. The difference being with the paid membership you get detailed reports, no biggie.

Second of all, it doesn't improve your vocabulary, nor does it make you think you are smarter, what it does is increase your speed, memory and problem solving skills among others.

I am fascinated by how you reached that conclusion. I guess it is not for everyone, nothing is, but I do believe that any sort of activity like Sudoku, crossword puzzles, etc do increase and improve your brain functions. This is similar but the "games" change as your abilities change.

Think of it like going to the gym, for the brain.

And as a disclaimer, I do not own, have any stock, investment or interest in Lumosity. I do perhaps have interest in improving my brain skills just like others are interesting in working out their bodies.

Bad_boi
08-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I am fascinated by how you reached that conclusion. I guess it is not for everyone, nothing is, but I do believe that any sort of activity like Sudoku, crossword puzzles, etc do increase and improve your brain functions. This is similar but the "games" change as your abilities change.

Think of it like going to the gym, for the brain.

And as a disclaimer, I do not own, have any stock, investment or interest in Lumosity. I do perhaps have interest in improving my brain skills just like others are interesting in working out their bodies.

If you were not already aware websites make money the same way radio and TV companies do. They sell "adspace". So while you may not be the one paying they still generate revenue off you.

I guess something with the way it is marketed unsettles me a little bit. It just seems condescending somehow. Not trying to bash it or anything it just rubs me the wrong way.

UofMfan
08-09-2013, 10:40 AM
If you were not already aware websites make money the same way radio and TV companies do. They sell "adspace". So while you may not be the one paying they still generate revenue off you.

I guess something with the way it is marketed unsettles me a little bit. It just seems condescending somehow. Not trying to bash it or anything it just rubs me the wrong way.

I am fully aware of "adspace", Adsense, and all the internet revenue generating venues out there.

Condescending? OK

I don't see this site that way. I don't see it as a "scam" nor "condescending", but I appreciate your insight.

We just have a difference of opinion. It rubs you the wrong way, fair enough.

Ginger
08-16-2013, 04:59 PM
I was gifted a membership to Lumosity a while back and I have been wondering if there are any other people here that use it.

If so, what is your BPI?

What is your best Brain area?

Do you think it helps?

How often do you train?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I used up all the free games on Lumosity pretty quickly and asked for a subscription for it at work but didn't get one (I was kidding when I asked but hey, you never know).

I thought it was really fun and I didn't feel depleted afterwards, like when I play some other game like text twist (I know, that's old school but I like it).

I haven't looked at it since last winter. I had a theory about the kind of intelligence it makes you flex... not coming to conclusions but putting information together in different ways, which is more useful to problem solving maybe.