PDA

View Full Version : Anti abortion ad to air during Super Bowl

Queerasfck
01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I was disturbed to read today that in the all out media blitz that is the Super Bowl CBS will be airing an anti-abortion ad paid for by Focus on the Family.

This is from Mother Jones magazine
CBS to Air First Super Bowl Abortion Ad
— By Elizabeth Gettelman
| Fri Jan. 22, 2010 12:19 PM PST.
I have a general, albeit sometimes irrational, distaste for quarterbacks. There's something about their deified status, the fact that they're often positioned as Great White Hopes on mostly black teams, their 'me'-in-team attitudes; I admittedly look for reasons to knock them down a peg. Joe Theismann: ridiculous (he changed the pronunciation of his name, 'THEES-man,' to rhyme with Heisman, as in trophy). Joe Montana: privileged (Joe Cool played for the wine-and-cheese 49ers and had the best receivers in the biz). Peyton Manning: whiner (no-huddle does not have to mean all-tantrum). Michael Vick: dog hater (no explanation nec). I could go on, but this isn't a sports' blog, so I'll get on with it.
Tim Tebow. The Heisman-winning, Florida Gators' QB is headed to the NFL, and for the past few years he's been the darling of college football. He's capitalized on that exposure, declaring his virginism and etching bible passages into his eye black for every game. Now Tebow is taking televangelism to a whole new level: the Super Bowl. Even better, the still-college boy is going to star in a commercial in the Super Bowl, and everybody knows that the ads are the most-watched, most memorable, and most expensive part of the 6-hour affair (halftime is a close second). Tebow and his mom's Super Bowl ad is sponsored by James Dobson's Focus on the Family. Tim's mom will tell America how she was young and not sure she wanted a baby, but then she had Tim who's a star about to make gobs and gobs of money (she probably won't say that last part, but you'll get the picture). Ergo, you'd be crazy to consider an abortion, ladies, and gents and those not of child-bearing age, don't even think about supporting a woman's right to chose, because how could you choose not to gestate and give life to a person as successful and handsome as Tim Tebow?
This "false choice," as TAPPED's Monica Potts so rightly calls it, is fucked. Sorry, it just is. You cannot tell a woman that she might give birth to the next superstar, the next president, the next great thing, or even the next maybe-not-great-thing but still-deserving-of-your-love human being. Because no matter what you might believe, or I might believe (and the idea of having an abortion is a horrifying prospect to me, as it is to most pro-choicers, for the record) when it comes right down to it, when it's 3rd and 25 and you're deep in your own territory, Tim, you're your only coach in this scenario. What you won't hear in this commercial is that a woman might die giving birth, or go broke after she has the child, or lose her own future and compromise her kid's. All these things are 'maybe's,' and women and their partners in this situation are left with difficult, horrible choices no one wants to be beset with, but in the end this simply isn't anyone else's, including Tim Tebow's, damn business.

DELSDAUGHTER
01-22-2010, 05:47 PM
thats not the place for it........
but then again in our local halloween parade they had an anti abortion group march with huge pics of mutilated babies on the float.....freedom of speech should have its limitations.......

apretty
01-22-2010, 05:49 PM
i'm considering celebrating by having an abortion. ...well, or sponsoring one.

Soon
01-22-2010, 05:51 PM
:angry:I heard about this a few days ago...I have no words...except DISGUST and OUTRAGE!

And, the exaltation of sports figures in the U.S. as some sort of demi-gods makes me sick.

I guess I found a few words...add arrrghhhhhh!

Corkey
01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Why not a condom commercial to go hand in hand with the beer commercial?
Geez they think it's always the woman's fault!!! How about some male responsibility for a change.

Soon
01-22-2010, 06:01 PM
In other news...Bristol Palin (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20338914,00.html)has decided to re-virginize until marriage.

*eyeroll

WILDCAT
01-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Wow. This is a majorly huge disappointment. My last refuge, or safe zone from the fanatics was sports - I thought...

christ!

Inuus
01-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I about spit my coffee on that one thanks for the laugh!

DELSDAUGHTER
01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
In other news...Bristol Palin (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20338914,00.html)has decided to re-virginize until marriage.

*eyeroll

how does one re-virginiz oneself.....exactly...? lol.

Soon
01-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Considering thousands of women have to travel OUT of state and/or hundreds of miles to obtain one, this isn't such a far out idea.

Soon
01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

I kinda made that word up or heard it from elsewhere. *shrug

“I just think it’s a goal to have and other women should have that goal,” said Bristol, appearing on The Oprah Winfrey Show via satellite from Alaska.

WHA? and WHY? A goal for women to remain virgins until they are married? B/c THAT is what ALL women want and/or must have in order to BE women. AND, define virginity?

I Can't Deal.

----

Tim Tebow is IDOLIZED in Gainesville, FL. (and elsewhere--you can travel FAR outside of the city and it's all about the GATORS and Tebow and his biblically smeared cheeks!)

BullDog
01-22-2010, 06:14 PM
I agree with Corkey. If they are so concerned cut the beer commercials and show more condem ads.

Oh and can we squeeze in a Public Service Announcement for anti-domestic violence in between the GoDaddy ads?

Soon
01-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Change.org (http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/tim_tebow_anti-gay)

Here's hoping Tim Tebow knows what he's getting into, though. Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that has called gay marriage perverted and has said that homosexuals want to destroy human civilization? Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that believes you can repair homosexuality, and that sexual orientation is a condition that can be treated? Does Tim Tebow know he's supporting an organization whose founder has said that sex education strips girls of their modesty?

We could go on.

Oh well. Maybe Tim Tebow has decided that since a future in the NFL is not looking so bright, he can always fall back on the homophobia of the radical religious right to keep his name out there.

Hudson
01-22-2010, 06:31 PM

*eyeroll

OMG, me too. Samesies.

apretty
01-22-2010, 06:34 PM
i had a ribbon sewn across my vagina so that i'm a virgin EVERY time--it's pink satin.

Soon
01-22-2010, 06:37 PM
i had a ribbon sewn across my vagina so that i'm a virgin EVERY time--it's pink satin.

aprettyvagina!

:bouquet:

Andrew, Jr.
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
It proves my point about having money. If you have it, you can buy anything you want. I think this is just so inappropriate and on so many levels.:canoworms: :football:

MsDemeanor
01-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Here's hoping Tim Tebow knows what he's getting into, though. Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that has called gay marriage perverted and has said that homosexuals want to destroy human civilization? Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that believes you can repair homosexuality, and that sexual orientation is a condition that can be treated? Does Tim Tebow know he's supporting an organization whose founder has said that sex education strips girls of their modesty?

We could go on.

Oh well. Maybe Tim Tebow has decided that since a future in the NFL is not looking so bright, he can always fall back on the homophobia of the radical religious right to keep his name out there.
Tebow is the deeply religious son of christian missionaries. He probably thinks that this is just swell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mister and I learned about this last week. We're boycotting the super bowl this year, and are writing letters to let folks know why.

apretty
01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
http://thecollegefootballguys.blogspot.com/2008/07/is-anti-christ-lurking.html

http://www.insomniacslounge.com/2008/05/tim-tebow-has-never-been-happier-than.html

really. wtf.

LieslKate
01-22-2010, 10:17 PM

*hands you a staple gun, a hot glue gun and a leather needle and thong...* Your choice ! :D

LieslKate
01-22-2010, 10:23 PM
It's all about $$$$$$$$$ The SB ad space is the most costly time to buy... Open to anyone to purchase so long as their pockets are deep enough, with pretty much any product, service or statement to make... it's all about the almighty dollah !

DELSDAUGHTER
01-23-2010, 07:48 AM
*hands you a staple gun, a hot glue gun and a leather needle and thong...* Your choice ! :D

ooooowwwwiiiieeeeeee:crybaby::hiding:

Queerasfck
01-23-2010, 09:32 AM

really. wtf.

It always comes back to Crocs for you doesn't it?

Mister Bent
01-23-2010, 09:57 AM

Super glue.

Apparently when the economy - and subsequently Super Bowl ad sales - are down (for the second year in a row) it's somehow acceptable for a major network to make irresponsible advertising decisions.

Mister Bent
01-23-2010, 10:04 AM

http://www.insomniacslounge.com/2008/05/tim-tebow-has-never-been-happier-than.html

really. wtf.

wtf.

More than 250 people underwent medical and dental procedures, some of them from "Dr. Tebow," who has no formal surgical training.

"The first time, it was nerve-racking," he said. "Hands were shaking a little bit. I mean, I'm cutting somebody. You can't do those kinds of things in the United States. But those people really needed the surgeries. We needed to help them."...

Tebow helped with the last few circumcisions, growing more comfortable with each one.

"I got a kick watching him," Bob Tebow said. "He did a great job, and he didn't look really nervous. I wouldn't let him cut on me, but he did well and helped where there was a need."

I wouldn't let him cut on me...but some poor, foreign kids? Why the hell not? I'm a little disappointed that Tebow even had to use a scalpel. I would have thought that the Heisman winner would have only needed to scowl at the penises and the foreskin would have leapt off in fright.

MsDemeanor
01-23-2010, 10:36 AM
It's all about $$$$$$$$$ The SB ad space is the most costly time to buy... Open to anyone to purchase so long as their pockets are deep enough, with pretty much any product, service or statement to make... it's all about the almighty dollah !
No, it's not. Other organizations have tried to purchase SB ads and have been refused.

This not about a dollar will buy anything. It's about denying organizations like PETA and MoveOn SB air time, but allowing it for radical christians.

dreadgeek
01-26-2010, 10:38 AM

[I]Here's hoping Tim Tebow knows what he's getting into, though. Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that has called gay marriage perverted and has said that homosexuals want to destroy human civilization?

Almost certainly he does, to the degree he thinks about that at all.

Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that believes you can repair homosexuality, and that sexual orientation is a condition that can be treated?

If I were a betting woman (which I'm not) I'd put better than even odds that, in fact, he does.

Does Tim Tebow know he's supporting an organization whose founder has said that sex education strips girls of their modesty?

Again, almost certainly.

One of the things that I think we forget is that the anti-choice movement is also a profoundly anti-sex movement. They believe that sex is sinful EXCEPT in the context of a heterosexual couple and then only when the man is calling the shots and the woman is complying at which point pretty much anything goes. The pro-choice movement would do well to remind the voting public of this.

Cheers
Aj

Cyclopea
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
wtf.

More than 250 people underwent medical and dental procedures, some of them from "Dr. Tebow," who has no formal surgical training.

"The first time, it was nerve-racking," he said. "Hands were shaking a little bit. I mean, I'm cutting somebody. You can't do those kinds of things in the United States. But those people really needed the surgeries. We needed to help them."...

Tebow helped with the last few circumcisions, growing more comfortable with each one.

"I got a kick watching him," Bob Tebow said. "He did a great job, and he didn't look really nervous. I wouldn't let him cut on me, but he did well and helped where there was a need."

I wouldn't let him cut on me...but some poor, foreign kids? Why the hell not? I'm a little disappointed that Tebow even had to use a scalpel. I would have thought that the Heisman winner would have only needed to scowl at the penises and the foreskin would have leapt off in fright.

That is so very fucked up....:bigcry:

No, it's not. Other organizations have tried to purchase SB ads and have been refused.

This not about a dollar will buy anything. It's about denying organizations like PETA and MoveOn SB air time, but allowing it for radical christians.

Anyone else remember this United Church of Christ ad which was banned from the superbowl a few years ago?
YouTube- United Church of Christ - Bouncer

labete
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
That is so very fucked up....:bigcry:

Anyone else remember this United Church of Christ ad which was banned from the superbowl a few years ago?
YouTube- United Church of Christ - Bouncer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH04hj1Q_IM)

Wow ... I never heard anything about that ad, and I grew up UCC. It's hugely more appropriate for general viewing than an anti-abortion ad. And Tebow? WTF is he doing performing genital mutilation on poor kids and being praised and encouraged for this? That is so messed up.

Soon
01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Almost certainly he does, to the degree he thinks about that at all.

If I were a betting woman (which I'm not) I'd put better than even odds that, in fact, he does.

Again, almost certainly.

One of the things that I think we forget is that the anti-choice movement is also a profoundly anti-sex movement. They believe that sex is sinful EXCEPT in the context of a heterosexual couple and then only when the man is calling the shots and the woman is complying at which point pretty much anything goes. The pro-choice movement would do well to remind the voting public of this.

Cheers
Aj

I don't forget that (underlined part) and agree with all your answers to the questions that change.org posed.

He's all about flaunting his virginity and biblical verses, (until a suitable heterosexual wife/marriage occurs) and it is unsurprising that he is connected to and wishes to espouse the rhetoric of the anti-choice movement.

Apocalipstic
01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Superbowl?

IttyBittyFem
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

I truly believe their minds would change should something (unfortunately) happen to one of their children. Say for example, one of their children was a victim of a violent rape. Would they condone that pregnancy? What if it was incest? What if it the pregnancy threatened the life of the birth mother?

How DARE anyone believe they have the right to tell me (or anyone else) what to do with my own body? They have NO RIGHT dammit.

Shame shame shame on anyone that financially benefits from this. And the Super Bowl no less. It takes alot to get me to the point where I verbally express my anger, however, when I do, I have the ability to chew you up and spit you out into the gutter you crawled out from. I know NO fear. This topic is so irritating to me that I don't believe I could physically be in the company of anyone that feels so strongly they have the right to tell a complete stranger what to do with their own bodies.

Queerasfck
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I just read CBS has received numerous calls and emails both critical and supportive of it's abortion ad. They said they would welcome more advocacy ads. You can read the story here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4859979).

Soon
01-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Thank God for Tim Tebow--Right After These Messages
(http://open.salon.com/blog/jodi_kasten/2010/01/26/thank_god_for_tim_tebow_-_right_after_these_messages)
--Jodi Kasten

Tim Tebow is the second coming of the Christ child according to most Florida fans. If you ask them, he single-handedly delivered two BCS championships, won the 2007 Heisman Trophy and just one touch from Tebow can heal leprosy or rickets. There’s no doubt that Tebow is a magnificent ball player. He’s a great role model, a leader and a very public proponent of abstinence until marriage. I have to applaud the dude’s tenacity in that arena. I can only imagine the legions of women who have thrown themselves at Tim Tebow’s cleats.

Like any admirable young man, he loves his mother. He loves his mother so much that he’s going to appear with her in an ad during the Super Bowl on CBS. Evidently, while on a Christian mission trip to the Philippines in 1987, Pam Tebow got sick while pregnant with her fifth child. Doctors counseled her to have an abortion. She refused and Tim Tebow was born.

All abortion debate aside, that is a heartwarming story. Tebow is a fine young man with amazing prospects. His leadership and squeaky clean image are a welcome change in a world of sports stars who work games into their schedules between weapons arrests and affairs. We do need more Tim Tebows in the world.

But, in spite of the message, many believe that this anti-abortion ad has no place in the commercial line-up on Super Bowl Sunday. My first yellow flag was thrown when I saw who sponsored the ad. This isn’t Nike saying, “Just Do It.” This is Focus on the Family – a conservative Christian group. The funds for the ad, according to Focus on the Family spokesman Gary Schneeberger, came from “very generous friends” rather than the group’s general fund. One thirty second commercial during the Super Bowl is selling for $2.5 - $2.8 million.

Schneeberger was “a little surprised” that the proposed ad has caused a furor. The Women’s Media Center’s Jemhu Greene says, “An ad that uses sports to divide rather than to unite has no place in the biggest national sports event of the year – an event designed to bring Americans together.” She went on to say, “By offering one of the most coveted advertising spots of the year to an anti-equality, anti-choice, homophobic organization, CBS is aligning itself with a political stance that will damage its reputation, alienate viewers and discourage consumers from supporting its shows and advertisers.”

As election seasons stretch out to cover 90% of the year, it’s conceivable that instead of seeing flatulent horses selling Budweiser, we could soon be seeing many more ads bought by political action committees at the Super Bowl. Furthermore, with the recent Supreme Court ruling about corporate political funding, we could soon be seeing “Proposition 8 – Brought to you by Sarah Palin for President and Pepsi. Palin & Pepsi – two great tastes that taste great together!”

I’m sure that Focus on the Family believes that this is not an anti-abortion message on the surface. Instead, they are reminding every woman who is in the heartbreaking position of terminating a pregnancy for any reason that they could be “killing” a Heisman trophy winner. The worst of this for me is that Tebow’s mother is sending the message that women should ignore the advice of their doctors and continue any and all pregnancies, no matter what the peril may be to their own lives.

If Tebow and his mother were telling a different story, perhaps one where she thought she didn’t have the money for another child or she was pregnant out of wedlock, I’d shake my head and say, “There’s another anti-choice ad riding on the backs of someone’s fame and money.” But, this ad actually endangers the lives of women. How many women, just like me, who are told that they might die if they continue a pregnancy, will refuse abortions because they are reminded that the baby they have could be a star?

Football fame is powerful stuff in the south, as is religion and the Focus on the Family group. There is a distinct possibility that women will die because of this ad. It has no place in the Super Bowl or anywhere else. Considering Focus on the Family’s deep association with Rev. Ted Haggard's prostitution and drug scandal, it appears that they would do best to focus on their own families for once.

SuperFemme
01-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I wonder if the Courage Campaign will sponsor a similar ad.

After all, I'm adopted and the Christ Camp thinks that is an easy answer.

My bio mom (whoever she is) can tell the world that this blonde in a pony outfit could have been murdered. Behold. I've gone on to the the best damn Queer that I can be.

Wipes a tear.

I feel so inspirational. I mean, I made it all the way through Catholic High School and abstained from being a heterosexual.

sniffle.

Write14u
01-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Just a few quick thoughts here, as someone who is intimately connected to the sports world.

First off, I think it's asinine that people put athletes on a pedestal and demand they be role models. BUT, since they do, I have to say that Tim Tebow is certainly a good one for that. Believe me, sports journalists have long wanted to debunk the TT mystique as he seems to be too good to be true.

As for this ad, it just made me cringe when I saw it come across the wires --- for all the reasons everyone has already stated. I was looking for the CBS story on how it has relaxed its standards (conveniently now, not a few years ago), but Ezee had already posted it.

The biggest thing I see is is this: the only way to fight it, it seems, is fire with fire. Some pro-choice group should pony up and go with a counter ad. CBS would be hypocritcal to not air it, as well. Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen and all the rhetoric in the world from those groups won't erase the lasting images of this ad.

DELSDAUGHTER
01-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Just a few quick thoughts here, as someone who is intimately connected to the sports world.

First off, I think it's asinine that people put athletes on a pedestal and demand they be role models. BUT, since they do, I have to say that Tim Tebow is certainly a good one for that. Believe me, sports journalists have long wanted to debunk the TT mystique as he seems to be too good to be true.

As for this ad, it just made me cringe when I saw it come across the wires --- for all the reasons everyone has already stated. I was looking for the CBS story on how it has relaxed its standards (conveniently now, not a few years ago), but Ezee had already posted it.

The biggest thing I see is is this: the only way to fight it, it seems, is fire with fire. Some pro-choice group should pony up and go with a counter ad. CBS would be hypocritical to not air it, as well. Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen and all the rhetoric in the world from those groups won't erase the lasting images of this ad.

maybe we should gather together and sponsor a pro-gay marriage ad....see how the religious right like our ad and theirs running back to back.....

Soon
01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Celizic: CBS making huge mistake with Tebow ad
Will network accept message from atheist group? Probably not
(http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35088506/ns/sports-super_bowl_xliv/)

Soon
01-27-2010, 07:15 PM
From NARAL: (https://secure.prochoiceamerica.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4143)

Call on CBS to Drop Focus on the Family Super Bowl Ad

CBS cleared the way to subject nearly 100 million people to Focus on the Family’s extreme agenda by agreeing to air its new pro-life ad during the Super Bowl.

Focus on the Family has an unmistakable anti-choice, anti-birth-control, anti-sex-education, anti-gay agenda. If that wasn’t bad enough, its views on women are just plain insulting and dangerous. For example, its web site urges women facing an unintended pregnancy to seek “wise advice” because “the hormones and extreme emotions of pregnancy make reasonable decisions more difficult.”

We can’t just sit by while CBS lets Focus on the Family place a political ad during the Super Bowl, when millions of people are watching ads.

CBS still has time to change course if enough of us apply pressure. Urge CBS to drop Focus on the Family’s ad.

Soon
01-27-2010, 07:24 PM
From NARAL: (https://secure.prochoiceamerica.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4143)

Focus on the Family['s] .... web site urges women facing an unintended pregnancy to seek “wise advice” because “the hormones and extreme emotions of pregnancy make reasonable decisions more difficult.”

I actually just read this section from FF's website...unbelievable.
:furious:

Corkey
01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Just signed the petition, and gave MY opinion.

MsDemeanor
01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
I hope that they drop the ad. I'd like to see the Saints kick Peyton Manning's ass, but we're not watching the game if that ad is going to air.

Toughy
01-27-2010, 08:54 PM
but MsDemeanor...........

it's free speech for a price......it goes along with SCOTUS saying corporations have free speech........:cigar:

(and yes I want to see Peyton get his prima donna ass kicked too........I just wish he did not play for the Colts.....I have fond memories of Johnny Unitas and the old Baltimore Colts and Johnny was a way better QB)

apretty
01-27-2010, 11:21 PM
I actually just read this section from FF's website...unbelievable.
:furious:

it's just one more step in the obvious direction that will have FF promoting: women, with all of their hormones, can't be trusted/relied on/hold office/have a job/own their own property.

Dylan
01-27-2010, 11:24 PM
it's just one more step in the obvious direction that will have FF promoting: women, with all of their hormones, can't be trusted/relied on/hold office/have a job/own their own property.

Don't forget vote or fly an airplane

Servin' Up Beverages And Startin' The In-Flight Movie,
Dylan

MsDemeanor
01-28-2010, 12:17 AM
(and yes I want to see Peyton get his prima donna ass kicked too........I just wish he did not play for the Colts.....I have fond memories of Johnny Unitas and the old Baltimore Colts and Johnny was a way better QB)
Don't confuse the team in Indy with the real Colts, the Baltimore Colts.

Did you know that when Indy plays in Baltimore, they are never referred to as the "Colts"? The scoreboard reads "Indy".

Toughy
01-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Don't confuse the team in Indy with the real Colts, the Baltimore Colts.

Did you know that when Indy plays in Baltimore, they are never referred to as the "Colts"? The scoreboard reads "Indy".

My Mother used to tease and ask if Johnny was a 'hockey player'...........Johnny was my idol as a QB.....I had his arm....

No...........I had never noticed cuz I can't even connect the Ravens with Baltimore.....I forget the Ravens even exist......laughin.........everytime I see 'the Colts' my brain says Baltimore...

(I'm really watching Women's Div I Bball.............early regionals are at Berkley....UCONN is 58 (57?) in a row and Stanford is #2.....march madness is coming)

Bob
01-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Usually, when I want the opinion of a multiply-concussed, bible-thumping, former college football star, I go down to the local Jiffy-Lube.

DELSDAUGHTER
01-28-2010, 06:06 AM
My Mother used to tease and ask if Johnny was a 'hockey player'...........Johnny was my idol as a QB.....I had his arm....

No...........I had never noticed cuz I can't even connect the Ravens with Baltimore.....I forget the Ravens even exist......laughin.........everytime I see 'the Colts' my brain says Baltimore...

(I'm really watching Women's Div I Bball.............early regionals are at Berkley....UCONN is 58 (57?) in a row and Stanford is #2.....march madness is coming)

ill root for the other team ...just because it is the colts....after what they did to baltimore.....lol

Queerasfck
01-28-2010, 09:06 AM

Call on CBS to Drop Focus on the Family Super Bowl Ad

CBS cleared the way to subject nearly 100 million people to Focus on the Family’s extreme agenda by agreeing to air its new pro-life ad during the Super Bowl.

Focus on the Family has an unmistakable anti-choice, anti-birth-control, anti-sex-education, anti-gay agenda. If that wasn’t bad enough, its views on women are just plain insulting and dangerous. For example, its web site urges women facing an unintended pregnancy to seek “wise advice” because “the hormones and extreme emotions of pregnancy make reasonable decisions more difficult.”

We can’t just sit by while CBS lets Focus on the Family place a political ad during the Super Bowl, when millions of people are watching ads.

CBS still has time to change course if enough of us apply pressure. Urge CBS to drop Focus on the Family’s ad.

If you are unsure you want to sign the petition because it might take too long or be too complicated, it's not folks. It only takes about two minutes. BUMP IT UP!

Legendryder
01-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Well, I just read that ole' Tim blew it with the Pro Scouts. He is what I always thought he was, a college football player. He does NOT have the skills to make it in the pro game, and never has. If you can't take a snap from center, you are not gonna get to the big show. The scouts did give a wonderful eye roll at his "talent" however.

Queerasfck
01-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Well, I just read that ole' Tim blew it with the Pro Scouts. He is what I always thought he was, a college football player. He does NOT have the skills to make it in the pro game, and never has. If you can't take a snap from center, you are not gonna get to the big show. The scouts did give a wonderful eye roll at his "talent" however.

If Teboe does make it into the NFL it will probably be as an h-back, fullback, or tight end. It's not usually a good sign when scouts and team player personal are telling you that you'll have to change positions to have a shot in the NFL. It can be done, but it's not easy.

Cyclopea
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Updated January 28, 2010
Exclusive: CBS Considering Airing Gay Dating Site Ad During Super Bowl
By Hollie McKay - FOXNews.com
LOS ANGELES

After days of deliberations on whether to run a controversial Super Bowl ad from gay dating site ManCrunch.com, CBS has not yet reached a decision.

The 30-second spot shows two men excitedly watching the game, before their hands brush as they both reach into a bowl of chips. Suddenly, the two begin making out, much to the shock of a guy sitting close by.

According to a rep for the dating site, which operates under the slogan “Where Many Many Many Men Come Out to Play,” the ad was submitted on Monday, January 18th. When the site followed up on the status of the ad on Friday, January 22nd, they were told by CBS that “the spot hadn’t been officially approved yet" by network standards, and that "all the Super Bowl spots were sold out.”

“ManCrunch requested the spot get reviewed anyway just in case another advertiser drops out and a spot becomes available, as often happens, and CBS agreed,” added the site’s rep.

ManCrunch officials said they believe CBS has no intention of airing a commercial for their gay dating service, "but do not want to officially ‘reject’ the spot out of fear there may be a backlash from gay advocacy groups.”

However, a representative from the network told Pop Tarts that advertising spots were still open, and was unsure where that comment originated.

“The ad is still under review, the process takes a little while,” a rep from CBS said. “We still have a lot of ads we have yet to review.”

ManCrunch’s submission is not the only controversial ad CBS has had to review this year. On Wednesday, the network announced that they had approved a pro-life commercial starring Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, funded by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family, to air during the game.

“CBS’s recent decision to air an anti-choice advertisement during Super Bowl XLIV was outrageous,” a rep from advocacy group The Women’s Media Center said. “Even worse is the network’s about face from its own policy of rejecting controversial Super Bowl ads.

"The Women’s Media Center and organizations dedicated to reproductive rights, tolerance, and social justice, are urging the network to immediately cancel this ad.”

CBS is reportedly standing by their decision, and producers said they would consider accepting any other "responsibly produced" advocacy ads for broadcast.

YouTube- ManCrunch SuperBowl Commercial

Dean Thoreau
01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I dont understand something, Focus on the Family, (which is also known for encouraging severe corporal punishment on children and dogs..to make them behave) is not the most in tune bunch of folks...super Bowl ads are usually well Hilarious,,memorable,,,talked about for a year...Exactly what is a second rate football player going to do in 30 seconds...Is he going to give birth?
It is the only thing that will make it talked about..except for all the ruckus being raised about it,,,now people will watch it....just to see what all the fuss is ...sometimes it is good to not react to the right...cause re-acting and making a fuss is what they want....and this is one of those times.

Linus
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Well, CBS has officially banned the ManCrunch ad. Smacks of discrimination and the best way to address this is to take your money elsewhere and not watch the game on CBS.

I'm not surprised since CBS is a rather conservative, right-wing traditional marriage kind of place (they actually had the actress who plays Garcia on Criminal Minds not talk about her views on SSM -- kinda disappointing since she is gay and absolutely hot!).

Soon
01-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Mrs. Tebow's Big Lie Of Omission
(http://www.joemygod.blogspot.com/)

For weeks now, we've been inundated with Christianist propaganda about how Tim Tebow's mother made the Godly moral choice not to abort her son. Only now it turns out that the Tebows were living in the Philippines during her pregnancy. The Philippines, where abortion was and is illegal. Gloria Allred is on the case.

In her exclusive interview with RadarOnline.com Allred slams the ad and CBS's decision to air it, pointing out factual inconsistencies with Pam's story. One glaring one is the fact that the act of abortion is totally illegal in the majority Catholic country of the Philippines - under all circumstances including rape and incest, and even without a provision in the circumstance that the mother's life is in danger. The law has been in effect since 1930. Allred says she believes it an impossible scenario to believe that Philippino doctors would of ever suggested abortion as a viable option for Tebow in the first place. And when you learn that physicians and midwives who perform abortions in the Philippines face six years in prison, and may have their licenses suspended or revoked, and that women who receive abortions - no matter the reason - may be punished with imprisonment for two to six years, it's easy to see why.
Allred is threatening to sue CBS for false advertising, should the ad still run.

Corkey
01-30-2010, 05:57 PM
ABC news just reported the ad will run, I hope Allred sues the pants off CBS.

WILDCAT
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
A CBS survey networking team contacted me today via my home phone. Now, I am normally quite selective with whom I do these phone buggers with... but, in this instance I couldn't wait to voice my opinions.

The questions were so all over the place extreme in topic I had to question if she in fact truly represented CBS at one point. (I told her it sounded like a "moral majority" survery taking place. :superfunny:) She explained that it was for several areas of CBS news coverage - and that the survey results will be posted in Feb. sometime on their news.

But, it covered the government, (like which administration do you think has done the best job ever? WOULD our "founding fathers" approve of the way today's government is being run? What would I like to see be a primary focus at this time: employment, healthcare to global warming, etc... What about the campaign fundraising bill?)... to who would I "likely more easily forgive (?!) - Sen. Edwards, Tiger, and several other cheatin' heart folk choices...".

She questioned about the newly elected Mass. official having posed nude in the past, and "what if a woman had done that in the same position" - would she have had more difficulty with the media coverage of it and also being elected?

(Well, I guess so, 'cause I didn't even KNOW that about this guy!)

And what about "late night TV shows", and "reality shows" - better or worse than earlier days? Is it good to be helping disasters such as Haiti, when we have our own problems domestically? Should folks feel obligated to help? Should they "feel" obligated "morally" to help? Should we help all along - or only when a disaster happens - no matter what, or where? Does that depend on one's income?

Actually, the survey was kind of "rag mag-y" in parts of it. Some strange categories, showing me what people are "into" or what the networks are feeding the people - for higher ratings and more money. I had to laugh a few times... some of the questions were so stupid and ridiculous. (Sarcastic non-supportive humor, of course - against the various areas of "interest", not to the woman trying to do her job. She was pretty good handling me, actually.)

Anyway, I did interrupt her and asked if any commercial information for the Super Bowl was on this survey, and she didn't know "anything about it". So, I said, "got room for notes, comments/opinions there"? She DID. And I DID... "EXPRESS" my opinion on this crap - all of it. The religious right, the politics with the Republicans and networks, and so on. I went after Fox too. Have CBS and Fox gotten married and I missed it - or just lying in bed together?

Actually, I made comments throughout the whole survey - that I could hear her typing notes on.

It was strange, but I was glad to have such an easy opportunity to express my distaste with that network right now. (I still wonder if it was the G. Beck show calling though!)

So, on and on, it goes...

:rollcat:

Linus
01-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I do wish they would do more of these kinds of ads:

YouTube- Bob's House -- Pepsi's new Super Bowl Ad

Toughy
01-30-2010, 08:55 PM
So those who are boycotting the Super Bowl..........and I have decided I'm watching the game and taking a piss when that commercials airs. I will have to leave the room or I will throw something big and heavy at the TV

Are you going to boycott CBS entirely or is this about 'no issue/advocacy commercials during my damn SuperBowl game' or 'no anti-abortion commericials', but a liberal advocacy/issue commercial would be ok?

I"m just trying to figure out how not watching Peyton get his ass kicked up and down the field affects CBS. Why would CBS care if a few thousand folks don't watch the game. They already have the money in the bank.

I'm gonna boycott Bud because there will be no Clydesdale horse commercials.....oh wait.........I don't drink.........shit what am I gonna do to protest.....

Corkey
01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Actually I wrote along with my signing of the petition a lengthy letter to CBS explaining that I am boycotting their sponsors and all of their shows, including NCIS,( love that show btw) and that I am letting all of my network friends know of my boycott and asking them to do the same. Granted not much, but at least I am standing up for what is right. Yes I am watching the SB but like Toughy will leave the room at half time, if that is when that fricking ad is showing. Ours is a brand new 40" flat screen and there is no way in hell I'm throwing anything at it.
:LGBTQFlag:

owen4u1904
01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

I truly believe their minds would change should something (unfortunately) happen to one of their children. Say for example, one of their children was a victim of a violent rape. Would they condone that pregnancy? What if it was incest? What if it the pregnancy threatened the life of the birth mother?

How DARE anyone believe they have the right to tell me (or anyone else) what to do with my own body? They have NO RIGHT dammit.

Shame shame shame on anyone that financially benefits from this. And the Super Bowl no less. It takes alot to get me to the point where I verbally express my anger, however, when I do, I have the ability to chew you up and spit you out into the gutter you crawled out from. I know NO fear. This topic is so irritating to me that I don't believe I could physically be in the company of anyone that feels so strongly they have the right to tell a complete stranger what to do with their own bodies.

I very much agree with you on all this. I am a person who did the adoption thing, but it was very hard emotionally. With having my adoption I fully support pro choice. I do not like abortion, but I am not going to tell someone else to do with their body for the reasons you stated above. What if it was a rape, what if the mother would be hurt in the pregnancy process? And then you have to think about just not the baby though. What if a year after the person who gave their child up for adoption got so depressed because they was told to not have an abortion and do something they should not do. I know it is not something good to think about, but its the truth. I will argue this point till the end of time and I will speak it loud and clear too.

Soon
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
YouTube- Raging Grannies Rip CBS Anti-Choice Super Bowl Ad
:clap:

Soon
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
YouTube- Sean James and Al Joyner respond to the Tebow Super Bowl ad

Queerasfck
02-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Sometimes, just to amuse myself I will listen to Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I don't listen that often or that long because I am just listening to Sirus radio in my gf's car, so I'm usually on a quick errand. Even though I haven't listened all that much I can pretty much predict her answers for a mulitude of senarios. Today, inbetween helping someone decide if they should take their eight and nine year olds to a Bon Jovi concert (no, they shouldn't get to go--second hand smoke from marijuana) and advising someone if they should disown their sister (yes, you should if she continually rains on your parade) she raved about how much she loved CBS for running the Focus on the Family ad. She's so annoying.......

Soon
02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
There's a new Super Bowl surprise from Focus on the Family: a second ad. (http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2010-02-05-family05_ST_N.htm)

Soon
02-05-2010, 06:27 PM
YouTube- Cecile Richards Responds to the Tebow Ad

Write14u
02-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Let me throw a few last thoughts out there before the big game.
First, as I already checked in, I'm very much pro-choice. I'm not in favor of abortions, but I firmly believe women should have the choice regarding their bodies.

My roommate and I (he also is a sports junkie who works at a newspaper) have also been debating this issue throughout the week.

Then, a great friend of mine pointed me to this column (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/01/AR2010020102067.html) from a sports columnist I definitely respect. As I read through it, my thoughts were going everywhere. I was like WTF are you doing defending this ad. But the column made me think. And in the end, I couldn't disagree with what Sally wrote.

Because here's the deal about Tim Tebow: He is not an in-your-face evangelist. He never approached the media about his trips to the Phillipines. He simply was asked at SEC media days (I was there) what he did over the summer. Boom! Media jumped on it, great story. Then the following year, he was asked about his celibacy. Yes, Tebow appears to be too good to be true.
But here's the thing. People are always harping on pro athletes to be better role models? Why? Because whether they want it, kids still emulate them.
I don't agree with this ad at all, but Tim Tebow as a role model is something I'll support any day.
I agree with telling kids about condoms and making them available because they will experiment. But I also don't see any problem with one guy that is revered saying, "Hey, it's not a bad thing to wait." Maybe one or two guys or girls will wait because of it. Maybe then there will be less people having to make that hard choice about abortion.

This ad leaves me feeling very torn, but in the end, I've come to realize that one guy standing up for abstinence isn't a bad thing in this world. There are a lot of pro athletes doing great things with charity foundations, but they're always overshadowed by the jerks and thugs. This is one guy who is a good role model and he's out there in the spotlight for a minute.

I would hope that CBS would broaden its thoughts some, but don't foresee it happening. I won't be boycotting the Super Bowl over this one ad, however. I don't think one 30-second ad (which is airing in the first quarter, btw Toughy), or even two of them, will influence that many people to change their minds.

I still don't like this ad, but Dean made a good point. Sometimes you bring more attention to something than is deserved. Because of the hoopla, yes there will be more people watching this ad.

My humble 2 cents.

Usually, when I want the opinion of a multiply-concussed, bible-thumping, former college football star, I go down to the local Jiffy-Lube.

Speaking up or answering questions when asked or wearing visible eye-black in support of his faith does not make Tebow a bible thumper. Believe me. I know allllll about bible thumpers. Grew up among them.

Funny thing is this: If I had to put my money on ONE person to make it, I'd put it on this kid. His determination in unbelievable. Bottom line is he is a winner. Besides, the NFL is shock full of guys who were initially written off by the NFL or drafted low: Joe Montana, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady. Those names ring a bell?

Write14u
02-07-2010, 04:13 PM
*bump*
I'm curious about people's opinion with the event just an hour-plus away.

IttyBittyFem
02-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I very much agree with you on all this. I am a person who did the adoption thing, but it was very hard emotionally. With having my adoption I fully support pro choice. I do not like abortion, but I am not going to tell someone else to do with their body for the reasons you stated above. What if it was a rape, what if the mother would be hurt in the pregnancy process? And then you have to think about just not the baby though. What if a year after the person who gave their child up for adoption got so depressed because they was told to not have an abortion and do something they should not do. I know it is not something good to think about, but its the truth. I will argue this point till the end of time and I will speak it loud and clear too.

Thank you so much for writing this. I AM an adoptive parent also. I adopted my identical boys 23 years ago at birth.

HOWEVER, as a victim of a BRUTAL rape, I feel VERY STRONGLY that every woman has the choice to do what she wants to do to her body.

I often wonder if any of these people who so strongly believe they have a right to tell other people what to do with their own bodies have every been, or had a very close loved one brutally raped. Would they want that victim to go through an entire pregnancy carrying a child from a rape that practically KILLED them?

I acknowledge how blessed I am for the opportunity to adopt my two sons. Their birth mother made her choice, hence, I have the opportunity to now be a mother.

And one more thing - I'm not so sure how I would feel about going through a pregnancy resulting from a brutal rape (by 3 men) and then giving that child up for adoption. If these sick men passed their brutal genes on to the child, what type of person would they turn out to be? Perhaps it wouldn't have effected that child at all, however, what if it did?

Andrew, Jr.
02-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I thought the ad was weak. I had no clue it was actually about pro-life. I thought it was about Timmy Tebow being a Heisman Trophy winner, and a Univ. of Florida star QB. I thought maybe it had to do with a new medicine for hyperactivity. Go figure.

Write14u
02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
One last note to wrap up this thread, perhaps.
The Tebow ad ranked 73/73 for viewership for the Super Bowl.
In case you were wondering. LOL
Not sure how the rankings went, but here (http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/02/12/tim-tebow-commercial-lowest-rated-of-super-bowl/?icid=main|main|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fbackporch.f anhouse.com%2F2010%2F02%2F12%2Ftim-tebow-commercial-lowest-rated-of-super-bowl%2F)is a blog with the results.