PDA

View Full Version : Disabilities: Visable and Invisable

Andrew, Jr.
11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I have what is called invisable disabilities. They are neurologically based. I have seizures, ocd, adhd, learning disabilities like Dyslexia, and am Diabetic, and also have heart disease. I have a handicapped placard for my car. I am no longer really driving much anylonger because of the frequency of my seizures and their intensity.

I know that I am not alone here. I thought it would be a safe place to talk about our health issues, the medical community, medications, or treatment plans being offered now.

Namaste,
Andrew

I'mOneToo
11-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Andrew, I hear you on both counts. Visible and invisible disabilities are a challenge. I have both. They require adjustments in lifestyle and are not easy or fun, but they are necessary. I feel for you though. Feel free to PM to discuss. I'm not very "out" about any of my disabilities, 'virtually speaking' but they are sometimes evident in person, and can't be hidden.

Leigh
11-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Hey Andrew and I'mOneToo,

I have invisible disabilities, mental health ones. I was diagnosed two years ago with depression as well as panic/anxiety attacks and they can get pretty bad sometimes. I started a job not quite two months ago and with having to change My depression meds, I have been missing alot of time due to side effects and having to adjust to the effects of the medication. Things are slowly starting to balance themselves out, but I am very thankful that My job has been so understanding because I love the people I work with and the job itself is not bad either.

I look forward to connecting with others here, sharing our struggles and finding a place of acceptance no matter who we are or where we have been in life :)

Andrew, Jr.
11-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi I'mOneToo and Braedon, :cheerleader::cheerleader:

I am glad you both are here. It is comforting.:)

I find it isolating. The computer is my mainstay in contact. I am better communicating with ppl that way than in real time. I stutter & slur my words at times, and really struggle with oral communication. It is so frustrating at times. And then to have other health issues going on at the same time...I want to just cry over the frustration. Sometimes I have to ask ppl to explain what they mean and they get an attitude with me like I'm picking a fight. In reality it is just that I don't get what it is they are saying. I mean no harm. I just don't understand, and need help with it. I dealt with the same in school. :shark:

Anyway, thanks for joining in the chat here.

I'mOneToo
11-14-2009, 12:47 PM
**snip**[QUOTE=Andrew, Jr.;5250]Hi I'mOneToo

Sometimes I have to ask ppl to explain what they mean and they get an attitude with me like I'm picking a fight. In reality it is just that I don't get what it is they are saying. I mean no harm. I just don't understand, and need help with it. QUOTE]**

I have the same issue. When asking someone to repeat, they assume something else is desired. I try to make it clear as possible, "Please just repeat what you said so that I can understand" and sometimes an argument ensues and it's a whole new can of worms.

Even written or typed, miscommunications happen. But, easier to clarify or at least take time to try to.

edited to mention, can't figure out how to quote portion of text

Andrew, Jr.
11-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I'mOneToo,

Yes, I am the same way. I am not computer savvy at all. I have no clue how they put up the avatar pictures, download pictures, or even post the songs off youtube. Someone can show me how to, but ask me how to do it in 5 min...I will have no clue. I am always asking people to repeat themselves. I am not deaf. I just am not understanding what is being said.

Then comes the attitudes, then they say I am being stubborn or am being rude. Then they ask me when the last time I had my hearing checked. It is my learning disabilities. If they could only walk a day in my shoes - to see how it's like. Just once I would love for that to happen.

Andrew, Jr.
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I hope and pray that everyone is doing well this holiday season.

Namaste,
Andrew
:snowysmiley:

Andrew, Jr.
12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
What is everyone doing for the holidays? Anything special?
:cuttree::angel::snowysmiley::anothersnowman::sant a1::present::rudreindeer::snooker::rabbi::smileyXm asTree:

Corkey
12-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey buddy, me and the Mrs are going to her brothers for dinner, then we get to go home and have fun.

Hi all, my name is Corkey and I'm differently abled. Mine are physical issues.
back to your regularly scheduled program.

Andrew, Jr.
12-22-2009, 07:11 AM
:smileyXmasTree:

That sounds like a good time, Corkey. Please give my best to the Mrs.

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

:rockband:

Corkey
12-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Hahaha if you only knew LOL yea we're gonna try not to discuss politics, religion, or "the gay agenda", wish us luck! As an aside, the family has accepted our being gay. That isn't an issue:nixon:

Happy Holidays Andrew, we hope you and Roise have a wonderful time!
:anothersnowman:

Andrew, Jr.
12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Laughing, I so know about "those" meal conversations. Did you get snow? Did schools close? Any flooding? This is so good. :cigar: :badscore:

Corkey
12-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Laughing, I so know about "those" meal conversations. Did you get snow? Did schools close? Any flooding? This is so good. :cigar: :badscore:

We didn't get the hammering you all did, but enough to dig out after the plow guy came thru. We're expecting a rainy x-mas, if any snow is left we'll have a white, if somewhat salty-dirty x-mas. Yea tis friggen colder than, well yea it's cold 19* and it's 6:30 pm
:wolf:

Andrew, Jr.
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
The gay agenda - I forgot that one. Rosie and I won't talk about it, or even bring it up. But yet, somehow, someway, it comes up. Like grass in the springtime.

:glasses: :readfineprint: :daddy:

Corkey
12-22-2009, 05:33 PM
The gay agenda - I forgot that one. Rosie and I won't talk about it, or even bring it up. But yet, somehow, someway, it comes up. Like grass in the springtime.

:glasses: :readfineprint: :daddy:

Yea I hear ya.

Andrew, Jr.
12-22-2009, 08:12 PM
If I see my bio-parents I can expect :sermon, so than I go outside and I :woodchop: and :golf: at the driving range or go skeet shooting :fudd: and then smoke a :pipe: on the way home.

Corkey
12-22-2009, 08:16 PM
lol too much grief:badscore:

Andrew, Jr.
12-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Corkey - you are a hoot! :cracked::thumbsup:

Corkey
12-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Corkey - you are a hoot! :cracked::thumbsup:
:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Andrew, Jr.
12-23-2009, 04:07 PM
:awww: Corkey, I only have eyes for you. :freak::farmer::kissy:

Corkey
12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Hahahahahaha

Happy Holidays Bro!]

Andrew, Jr.
12-23-2009, 04:38 PM
You know, maybe it has to do with the little pills I took this morning. They may have been Rosie's. I just started to well up with tears at a Hallmark Card ad, while I am now wearing my boxers :boxers: and muscle t-shirt, and all the doors & windows are open. :fan:

Corkey
12-23-2009, 04:47 PM
You know, maybe it has to do with the little pills I took this morning. They may have been Rosie's. I just started to well up with tears at a Hallmark Card ad, while I am now wearing my boxers :boxers: and muscle t-shirt, and all the doors & windows are open. :fan:

And here I thought you were inundated with snow piled to the rafters and shivering your:boxers: off and smoking a :cigar:

color me confuzzled LOL

Andrew, Jr.
12-23-2009, 05:01 PM
I have had either a pipe or a :cigar: all day today. That is just a given. But this hormony thing...omg.

The snow - 2+/- feet to be precise. All schools have been closed this week. We are well over spending $2 million on salt trucks, snow plows, and the drivers working around the clock to clear the streets, and the hospitals in the city. We are still digging out. Today was the first day I think kids went outside to play in the snow. It was just too deep before.

Corkey
12-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I have had either a pipe or a :cigar: all day today. That is just a given. But this hormony thing...omg.

The snow - 2+/- feet to be precise. All schools have been closed this week. We are well over spending $2 million on salt trucks, snow plows, and the drivers working around the clock to clear the streets, and the hospitals in the city. We are still digging out. Today was the first day I think kids went outside to play in the snow. It was just too deep before.

Shoulda seen last year..145" of total snow, yea nothing melted for a few months, was a pleasure to drive in, oh what fun!

Andrew, Jr.
12-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Corkey,

Ummm ever consider moving? Right now I am ready to move to Florida. One of my dreams is to buy a boat, and live on it year round. :cigar::bbq::tanning::sailing:

Corkey
12-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Corkey,

Ummm ever consider moving? Right now I am ready to move to Florida. One of my dreams is to buy a boat, and live on it year round. :cigar::bbq::tanning::sailing:

Oh heck no Bro, I moved here from sunny Ca, I am truly enjoying all 4 seasons :anothersnowman:

Andrew, Jr.
12-24-2009, 06:19 AM
Have you lost it? I would have been happy to have sent you post cards & pictures. Oh my gosh. And here I am just wanting to move at the drop of a hat.

LadyRain
12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
i have a brain injury..........it is not fun.

Andrew, Jr.
05-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Rain,

I apologise for not responding sooner to you. I am so sorry.

I have TBI as well. My older brother dropped me on my head. I was a day old. It was an accident, pure and simple.

No, having tbi is hardwork. What is inside never comes out. I am more vocal online than in real time.

Andrew

Andrew, Jr.
06-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

I hope that everyone here is doing well. Please watch the heat. We are having a heat wave on the east coast, and my boxers are just sticking to my a**. It is just that hot outside. So please keep drinking your water!

Love,
Andrew

Lady_Wu
06-27-2010, 07:19 PM
I too suffer from both visible and invisible disabilities. My visible disabilities stem from MS, 2 strokes, and RSD. I walk with a cane for short distances and use a motorized scooter in stores, plus I wear a patch over my right eye, My invisible disabilities include cognitive difficulties like short term memory loss and inability to handle complex matters on things like computers, cell phones, etc.; partial complex seizures; and severe depression, PTSD, and GAD. I don't drive due to all of this. I am extremely isolated. I am caretaker to my partner who is as ill as I am. He sleeps or is almost catatonic much of the time. I feel more like a nurse than a partner. I do my best but did not expect this. I feel inadequate to this job but do my best. Sigh. I would like someone to see me as a femme sometimes.
Namaste,
Lady_Wu:vigil:

Andrew, Jr.
06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Hi Lady Wu, (f)

Welcome! I am glad you are here with us and posting. Please keep coming back and posting.

We are all connected. I know what it is to feel alone, isolated, and feeling like crap. Always having to give all my energy to just make sense. I can't live my life out loud as some people do. It is a very strange feeling. And putting that into words even stranger.

My short and long term memory are both shot. When I had my heart attack it was like taking a tomato and just squeezing it with my hand. That is the only way I can describe it. It was pretty bad. The after affects caused even more damage.

I have seizures, and am diabetic as well. So, like you, I never thought I would have to choose weather to put food on my table or choose to get a prescription or go to a doctor. When you have your health, it is a blessing.

You are not invisible. No more than I am.

Namaste,
Andrew

Andrew, Jr.
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I hope everyone here has a wonderful holiday weekend. Be safe, have fun, and enjoy yourselves.

Namaste,
Andrew

:bbq:
:tanning: :beerfunnel: :harley:
:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

Lady_Wu
07-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I, too, hope that everyone has a fun and safe holiday! I don't celebrate American holidays myself. I celebrate Chinese, Tibetan, Buddhist, and Taoist holidays. Those keep me busy enough!
Lady_Wu:candle:

chefhottie25
07-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I think my disability is both visible and invisible. I suffer from schizophrenia...when my meds, therapy, and support groups are working it is invisible..but when I suffer my symptoms I think it is obvious. I haven't had any major issues lately. I did have a small episode last month of hearing voices. I caught it early and got treatment. The fact that I reacted quickly is proof that I am getting better. In the past the voices would have become a full blown psychotic episode. The symptoms used to overwhelm me and I couldn't react. I am still learning to live with schizophrenia, but it has gotten easier since I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago. Thank you for starting this thread, I will surely make use of it.

Lady_Wu
07-03-2010, 10:15 AM
That's a difficult disability with which to live. Both the the disability AND the meds used to control it can cause problems. If you don't mind me asking, what meds are you on? I suffer from major depression, PTSD, and GAD. I'm on Abilify, Cymbalta, and Klonopin to control those. Sometimes in the past the combination of all three, esp. the depression and the PTSD, have gotten so bad that I've had hallucinations. Not fun. The psychdocs tried me on a number of atypical antipsychotics. I hated them. The only one I stayed on for any length of time was Seroquel. I finally got them more or less under control through Taoism and Tibetan Buddhism. I still get "anguish attacks" every now and then. Those are like panic attacks but instead of anxiety, I get an acute attack of concentrated depression. It literally feels like someone's stabbing me in the heart. I can't predict them but when one hits, I just double over from the psychic pain. Now when one happens, I immediately do a sitting of meditation. I've only found one other person who experiences these. He was my paindoc for for several years! Basically, all I can do is wait them out, usually through meditation.
The GAD has gotten so bad that I could not handle a regular college atmosphere, even if I could do it physically (no chance). Too many people doing too much at the same time time. I tried going back to school one summer and could do that. The classes were small and not too many people were on campus at one time. Then the fall semester hit me. No way. If I could find a school with small classes and a laid back attitude, plus accomodations for physical disabilities, maybe I could go back. But I'm not looking to do so at the moment. I've got enough on my hands as it is!
Good luck, chef. I think you're doing an admirable job! Please return to this thread for support and general talk. I know Andrew's here for you. Count me as here for you,also. If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me!
Lady_Wu:glasses:

lipstixgal
07-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I, too suffer from disabilities, like bipolar disorder but have that under control with meds and lots of rest for sure. I also have asthma and fibromyalgia so its not easy, I can really understand what a lot of people are going through. This thread is great!!:byebye:

Andrew, Jr.
07-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi Chefhottie52! Glad you are here. I have a friend of my family who has the same as you. However, she is married to a doctor, and has 6 kids. Now, she is living in the midwest, and seems to be handling everything very well. She goes to therapy with a psch. 2/3 times a week, is on meds, and also AA meetings. While she was younger she would drink like a fish, and it was discovered that she is chemically dependent. She has taken on every thing by the horns. Live one day at a time. And means it literally. I am proud of her. She literally pulled herself up by her bootstraps.

Hi Lipstixgal! Welcome. I have no clue what bipolar disease is. I will let you handle that.

Andrew

chefhottie25
07-03-2010, 09:33 PM
That's a difficult disability with which to live. Both the the disability AND the meds used to control it can cause problems. If you don't mind me asking, what meds are you on? I suffer from major depression, PTSD, and GAD. I'm on Abilify, Cymbalta, and Klonopin to control those. Sometimes in the past the combination of all three, esp. the depression and the PTSD, have gotten so bad that I've had hallucinations. Not fun. The psychdocs tried me on a number of atypical antipsychotics. I hated them. The only one I stayed on for any length of time was Seroquel. I finally got them more or less under control through Taoism and Tibetan Buddhism. I still get "anguish attacks" every now and then. Those are like panic attacks but instead of anxiety, I get an acute attack of concentrated depression. It literally feels like someone's stabbing me in the heart. I can't predict them but when one hits, I just double over from the psychic pain. Now when one happens, I immediately do a sitting of meditation. I've only found one other person who experiences these. He was my paindoc for for several years! Basically, all I can do is wait them out, usually through meditation.
The GAD has gotten so bad that I could not handle a regular college atmosphere, even if I could do it physically (no chance). Too many people doing too much at the same time time. I tried going back to school one summer and could do that. The classes were small and not too many people were on campus at one time. Then the fall semester hit me. No way. If I could find a school with small classes and a laid back attitude, plus accomodations for physical disabilities, maybe I could go back. But I'm not looking to do so at the moment. I've got enough on my hands as it is!
Good luck, chef. I think you're doing an admirable job! Please return to this thread for support and general talk. I know Andrew's here for you. Count me as here for you,also. If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me!
Lady_Wu:glasses:

Thank you Lady Wu for your support. I have been through a lot of med changes...but this combination I am on now seems to be the best. I take 80mg of geodon twice a day, 75mg effexor, 2mg artane, and 10mg of ambien to sleep. I have been on this cocktail for almost a year, with a few minimal episodes. I too have turned to taoism and buddhism to manage and find inner peace. I also meditate daily. I am still learning how to live with this disorder and being clean and sober. I hope that my new life will feel comfortable soon.

Lady_Wu
07-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Thank you Lady Wu for your support. I have been through a lot of med changes...but this combination I am on now seems to be the best. I take 80mg of geodon twice a day, 75mg effexor, 2mg artane, and 10mg of ambien to sleep. I have been on this cocktail for almost a year, with a few minimal episodes. I too have turned to taoism and buddhism to manage and find inner peace. I also meditate daily. I am still learning how to live with this disorder and being clean and sober. I hope that my new life will feel comfortable soon.
Chef:
Have you visited the Planet's Sangha? I try to post there every couple of days with quotes from H.H.The Dalai Lama and from the Tao Te Ching. Sometimes I add my own thoughts. It's a small community but a good one.
On Taoism, Deng Ming Dao has a book called 365 Tao. It is a serires of daily meditations on the Tao, extremely good. I highly recommend it. I use it every day for inspiriration and a guide for the day.
Right now in Taoism I am studying Alchemy. I am lucky enough to have found a Taoist Master with whom to study. Alchemical Taoism is extremely complicated and difficult. I have been studying Taoism for a long time, enough to have prepared me for this. I am also the age to begin studying Alchemy-almost 50. If you ever want to discuss Taoism, please feel free to PM me. There are a few other Taoists on the site. Perhaps I should start a Taoist thread?
May you prosper; may you be in good health; may you be in peace!
Lady_Wu

naturlover_52
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I like several here deal w/ mental illness. I was diagnosed back in 1992 with OCD. BUT that was the wrong diagnosis. I have GAD, adjustment disorder and was recently diagnosed w/ borderline personality disorder along w/ a degenerative disk in my low back.

I can empathyse w/ all of you have these invisible and visible illnesses..IT can make life difficult and hard. BUT it seems that we all are survivors and strong.

naturlover_52
07-13-2010, 08:24 AM
just a thought that I was having and was wondering if you have ever had to deal w/ this: telling someone that you have been dating for a while and that you are very attracted to and would even want to make things exclusive that you have mental health issues.
Just wonder what others experiences were. Just something that I have been thinking about since becoming single again.

:deepthoughts: