PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Support Group Recipes

Lady Jewel
02-19-2010, 02:25 AM
As discussed, this thread is for recipes for the Weight Loss Support Group, supporters and anyone looking for healthy recipes. The criteria for listing a recipe here is:

1) Low fat
2) Low carb
3) Low sugar
4) Low salt-Sodium

Also the portion size and nutritional and caloric value MUST be listed as many of us have high cholesterol and need to limit fats, have high blood pressure and have to limit sodium content, are diabetic and need to limit carbs and sugar intake, so please follow the guidelines.

Dylan
02-19-2010, 02:32 AM
Awesome thread idea

Thank You,
Dylan...donning pom poms

christie
02-19-2010, 02:51 AM
Low carb "dessert"

1/2 c ricotta
1 pkt Splenda
1 tsp vanilla
sprinkle of cinammon

Mix it all together in a small bowl. It does take the edge off the sweet cravings.

I've never bothered looking up all the nutritional information as it isnt pertinent to my dietary needs. I am sure that if someone is interested in this, finding the information that is vital to their own dietary needs is simple enough.

Spirit Dancer
02-19-2010, 03:10 AM
Jewel thanks for starting this thread, and having the nutritional values will be most helpful.

Lady Jewel
02-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Im going to reiterate the purpose of this thread. We have had a weight loss support group that has met weekly for five weeks. It has been a core group of people that are committed to weight loss and also supporting one another on that journey. These people have CHOSEN to join the group and collectively decide what we are going to do to support one another and what tools we can use that will help us. The meetings are confidential and members agree not to divulge any information or details that are discussed at the meetings. No one has been forced into going and those that do, have decided that this is the support they need. There have been comments that this is group is too rigid and not what some people would be comfortable with. The sad thing is, the comments were made by people that have never attended a single meeting and have no idea about what happens in them. Most of us in the group feel very lucky to get the unconditional love and support we get from one another in the group. ALL decisions are made collectively. One of the things we decided in the meeting this evening, is that in order to be "green" and save on paper, we would collect recipes in a thread here, as opposed to collecting them, printing them and mailing them out to people. Another COLLECTIVE decision that was made, was that everyone wanted nutritional information for each recipe that was posted. There are many more threads here where you can post your recipes and not include the nutritional information if that is what you choose to do. Please respect the guidelines set up by the WLS community. Thank you.

Princess4u
02-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Im going to reiterate the purpose of this thread. We have had a weight loss support group that has met weekly for five weeks. It has been a core group of people that are committed to weight loss and also supporting one another on that journey. These people have CHOSEN to join the group and collectively decide what we are going to do to support one another and what tools we can use that will help us. The meetings are confidential and members agree not to divulge any information or details that are discussed at the meetings. No one has been forced into going and those that do, have decided that this is the support they need. There have been comments that this is group is too rigid and not what some people would be comfortable with. The sad thing is, the comments were made by people that have never attended a single meeting and have no idea about what happens in them. Most of us in the group feel very lucky to get the unconditional love and support we get from one another in the group. ALL decisions are made collectively. One of the things we decided in the meeting this evening, is that in order to be "green" and save on paper, we would collect recipes in a thread here, as opposed to collecting them, printing them and mailing them out to people. Another COLLECTIVE decision that was made, was that everyone wanted nutritional information for each recipe that was posted. There are many more threads here where you can post your recipes and not include the nutritional information if that is what you choose to do. Please respect the guidelines set up by the WLS community. Thank you.

Dear Jewel...I couldnt have said it any better. As a member of the WLS, I think that we need the support and unconditional love of those who will be there when we fall and not judge us for falling. We are already harder on oursleves. If there are those who dont wish to support our efforts by acknowledging our goals as a group and our plans as to how the group should be conducted as well as the needs we need to be successful in our mission...then please dont contribute. Thank you again Jewel....hugz

WolfyOne
02-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Let me share the one I gave to Jewel and SD last night

Banana Berry Smoothie

11/4 cups orange juice
1 ripe medium banana
11/4 cups mixed frozen berries
1/2 cup lowfat firm silken tofu
1 tablespoon suar (optional)

In blender, combine orange juice, banana, berries, tofu and sugar; blend until smooth and creamy

Makes 3 (1 cup) servings

Per serving: 145 calories, 0.5 total fat (0 saturated fat) 4 g protein, 32 g carbs, 0 mg cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 3 g fiber. Vitamin C (99%) Vitamin B6 (15%) Calcium (17%)

One cup of this smoothie provides 2 servings of fruit and 2 grams of soy protein

For a variation, you can substitute sliced peaches or mango for mixed berries

WolfyOne
02-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Roasted Fish & Potatoes

1 1/2 lbs all purpose potatoes (4 to 5 medium) peeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemay or 1 teaspoon dried, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt divided
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lemon jiuce
1 lb striped bass, sea bass, red snapper or halibut fillets
1 tablespoon chopped chives or parsley (optional)

1) Heat oven to 450 F. Coat 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray

2) In baking dish, toss potatoes with 2 teaspoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons of the rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Cover, bake 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together lemon juice, the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil, the remaining 2 teaspoons of the rosemary, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.

3) Lay fish pieces, skin side down, over potatoes. Spoon lemon juice mixture over fish. Return to oven; bake, uncovered, an additional 10 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness of fish) or until fish flakes easily with a fork and potatoes are tender.

4) Sprinkle with hives, if desired; serve with lemon wedges.

4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Ready to serve: 40 minutes

Per serving: 285 calories, 7.5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 g protein, 31 g carbs, 91 mg cholesteral, 379 mg sodium, 3 g fiber,
Star nutrients: Vitamin b6 (39%) Vitamin B12 (72%) Vitamin C (57%) Niacin (25%) Phosphorus (30%) Copper (24%) Magnesium (21%) Thiamin (18%)

This is an alternative to deep fried fish and chips

WolfyOne
02-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Cider House Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3 teaspoons olive oil. divided
1 medium onion, chopped (1cup)
1 cup apple cider
1/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 teaspoons grainy mustard, such as country style Dijon

1) Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook about 2 minutes per side or just until browned. Transfer to plate. (Chicken will continue to cook as it simmers later)

2) Add remaining 1 teaspoon of the olive oil to skillet; reduce heat to medium. Add onion; saute' 2 to 3 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Add cider, dried cranberries and thyme; bring to a simmer. * Return chicken to skillet; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.

3) Transfer chicken to clean platter or plates. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce in skillet; increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Stir in mustard. Spoon sauce over chicken.

4 servings
Ready to serve: 25 minutes

Per serving: 230 calories, 5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 g protein, 12 g carbs, 66 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 1 g fiber
Star nutrients: Vitamin B6 (35%) Niacin (65%) Phosphorus (25%)

TIP * If you prefer a sweeter dish, try adding a tablespoon packed brown sugar when you add the cider, dried cranberries and thyme.

WolfyOne
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Tomorrow I'll add some meatless recipes from this cookbook. I just don't feel like typing another one out tonight. It's time consuming for me because I don't type very well and I have to look at my words before I type them.

Corkey
02-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks Wolfy, it's appreciated!

Lady Jewel
02-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Wolfy, thank you so much for your contribution of those yummy recipes. Ive got some that I am going to scan and post. Give me a few days. I finally crashed and burned last night from the lack of sleep due to the steroids. I didnt ask during the meeting...are there many people interested in vegetarian recipes??

Jewel :weightshock:

Linus
02-20-2010, 07:14 AM
*raises hand* me :)

Lady Jewel
02-20-2010, 07:39 AM
This recipe is yummmyyyyyy and very healthy too.

Tip: Dont add the salt. I didnt and it tasted really good and it lowered the sodium content

Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Brown rice makes a crispy, chewy crust that makes this quiche more satisfying without adding refined flours and fat.

One 12-ounce package firm or extra-firm silken tofu*
1/4 cup plain soy milk
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon tahini
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoons salt

2 cups cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon vegan parmesan (optional)
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 bunch asparagus (about 12 ounces)
1/4 cup shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 heaping cup (about 4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
olive oil spray

Preheat oven to 350. Put first 8 ingredients (tofu through salt) into blender. Puree until completely smooth, stirring a couple of times between blending.

Mix rice with 3 tablespoons of the tofu mixture and the vegan parmesan (optional). Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray or canola oil, and press the rice into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.

Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut off the top 3 inches and set aside. Chop the remaining stalks into 1/2-inch pieces.

Spray a medium non-stick saucepan with olive oil and heat. Add the shallots and cook for about 1 minute. Add the garlic, asparagus, and two tablespoons water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and 2 more tablespoons water. Cover and cook 2 more minutes. Remove cover, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, for a minute or two until most liquid has evaporated. Separate out the asparagus tips from the rest of the vegetables. (NOTE: Next time I will not pre-cook the asparagus tips; they should cook well enough in the oven.)

Spread the vegetables (excluding the asparagus tips) on top of the rice crust. Pour the remaining tofu mixture over the vegetables (use a flexible spatula to get it all out of the blender), stirring lightly to distribute it through the vegetables. Arrange the asparagus tips over the top and spray lightly with olive oil.

Bake for 60 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting (this helps make the quiche slice more cleanly, but if you don't care about that, go ahead and dig in!)

Serves 4. Per serving: 223 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (18% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 441mg Sodium; 4g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core (omit tahini)/4 Flex Points.

*Tip: Make this lower in fat by using lite silken tofu and fat-free soy milk: 200 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 485mg Sodium; 4g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core (omit tahini)/3 Flex Points.

Lady Jewel
02-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Leave out the salt for lower sodium recipe. Tastes just as good.

Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches
olive oil spray
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup bell pepper
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives (or one green onion)
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp. dried, crushed)
black pepper to taste
1 12.3-ounce package lite firm silken tofu (drain water)
1/4 cup plain soymilk
1 tablespoon cornstarch (may sub another thickener such as arrowroot or potato starch)
1 teaspoon tahini (preferred) or cashew butter
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray 12 regular-sized muffin cups well with non-stick spray.

Lightly spray a non-stick skillet with olive oil and sauté the garlic, bell peppers, and mushrooms over medium heat until the mushrooms just begin to exude their juices. Stir in the chives, rosemary, and freshly ground black pepper, and remove from the heat.
Place the remaining ingredients into a food processor or blender. Process until completely smooth and silky. Add the tofu mixture to the vegetables and stir to combine. Spoon equally into the 12 muffin cups: it will fill regular muffin cups about halfway.
Put the muffin pan into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350 F. Bake until the tops are golden and a knife inserted into the middle of a quiche comes out clean--about 25-35 minutes depending on your oven and muffin cups (silicone will take longer than metal, so if you're using a metal pan, check it at 20 minutes). Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes. Enjoy! They're light, so plan on making more of these—or serve hearty side dishes—if you're serving more than 3 people.
4 mini-quiches contain: 96 Calories (kcal); 3 g Total Fat; (23% calories from fat); 11 g Protein; 8 g Carbohydrate; 0 mg Cholesterol; 459 mg Sodium; 2 g Fiber

Lady Jewel
02-20-2010, 08:16 AM
To avoid the dreaded "okra slime," thoroughly dry the okra (and your cutting board) before slicing it. Moisture brings out the slime.

1 pound fresh okra, tops removed and sliced 1/2-inch thick
1/4 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
pinch mango powder (amchoor), optional
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt, to taste

Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and put 1/4 teaspoon of oil right in the center. Heat on medium until pan is warm. Add the cumin and mustard seeds right to the center of the oil and fry for 1 minute, or until they begin to pop. Add the onion and garlic and stir for 2 more minutes.

Add the okra and remaining spices. Stir well and cook, uncovered, until browned on all sides. Prepare to spend at least 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, for the okra to cook completely. Sprinkle with salt and serve.

Makes 4 servings. Each contains 58 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium; 4g Fiber.

WolfyOne
02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm dealing with a migraine today, so my recipe posting may not happen until tomorrow or later if the damn headache goes away later and I feel strong enough to do it.

Jewel, thanks for those recipes. I'll get around to trying one or more of them soon.

WolfyOne
02-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burritos

10 (7 inch) flour tortillas
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 medium onion chopped ( 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 medium sweet potato, peeled, diced (3 cups)
1 (14 1/2 oz) can mild green chile-seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 to 19 oz) can black beans, drained, rinsed
3/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
2/3 cup (2 oz) grated cheese (Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack) (optional)
1/3 cuo lowfat sour cream (optional)

1) Heat oven to 325 F. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil; heat in oven 15 to 20 minutes or until steaming.

2) Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, cumin and oregano; cook 30 seconds, stirring. Add broth and sweet potatoes; bring to a simmer. Cover, cook 5 minutes.

3) Add tomatoes, beans and corn; return to simmer. Cover; cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Use potato masher to mash about 1/4 of the vegetable mixture in skillet. ( this will thicken burrito filling and make it cohesive.) Stir mashed and unmashed portions together. Stir in cilantro, lime juice and pepper.

4) To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup of the sweet potato filling down center of each warm tortilla. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold in edges of tortilla, then fold one side over filling and wrap up burrito. Serve with sour cream for dipping.

5 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes

Per serving: 450 calories, 13 g total fat (4.5 saturated fat), 16 g protein, 67 g carbs, 16 mg cholesterol, 1041 sodium, 10 g fiber.
Star nutrients: Vitamin A (120%) Vitamin C (33%) Calcium (26%) Fiber (39%) Folate (23%) Iron (27%) Vitamin B6 (15%) Copper ( 17%) Niacin (19%) Phosphorus (20%) Riboflavin (20%)

NOTE: To cut sodium, use salt free cans of beans, chile-tomato and vegetable broth

WolfyOne
02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Falafel with Flaxseed
In the following version, flaxseeds help bind the patties, contributing a nutty flavor and appealing crunch. Traditional the patties are deep fried. However, to create a crispy crust without deep frying, brown patties on one side in a nonstick skillet, flip them over onto a baking sheet and finish them in a hot oven.

1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, divided
1 (15 to 19 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground corriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 egg white
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 recipe Mediterranean Chopped Salad (recipe to follow)
4 (6 inch) whole wheat pita breads
8 lettuce leaves
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt

1) Heat oven F. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In clean dry coffee grinder or blender, grind 1/3 cup of the flaxseeds.

2) In food processor, pulse garbanzo beans several times just until coarsely chopped. Add parsley, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt cayenne pepper, lemon juice and ground flaxseeds; pulse until mixture is cohesive, but still retains some texture. Using scant 1/4 per patty, form mixture into 8 1/2 inch thick) oval patties.

3) In shallow dish, combine bread crumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds. In medium bowl, beat egg white with fork until frothy. Dip each patty into egg white, coat with bread crumb mixture.

4) In large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties; cook about 2 minutes or until underside is browned. Turn patties over onto baking sheet. Bake patties 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on both sides and heated through. Meanwhile prepare Mediterranean Chopped Salad.

5) To serve, cut each pita in half to form 2 pockets. Line each pocket with lettuce leaf and fill with a patty. Garnish falafel with Mediterranean Chopped Salad and yogurt.

4 Servings
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Ready to serve: 45 minutes

Per serving: 465 calories, 14.5 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 20 g protein, 69 g carbs, 1 mg cholesterol, 1208 mg sodium, 16 g fiber
Star nutrients: Vitamin C (40%) Fiber (63%) Folate (28%) Magnesium (33%) Phosphorus (29%) Vitamin A (16%) Vitamin B6 (23%) Calcium (19%) Copper (23%) Thiamin (24%) Zinc (16%)

Make Ahead: Prepare patties through step 4. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

WolfyOne
02-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Mediterranean Chopped Salad

1 small tomato, diced
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1 green onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper

1) In medium bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, green onion, jalapeno, cilantro (or parsley), lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper; toss gently to mix. Serve within 1 hour.

Makes 1 1/3 cups
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Ready to serve: 10 minutes

Per serving: 32 calories, 2.5 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat) 1 g protein, 3 g carbs, 0 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.

NOTE: This salad can be used for any pita sandwich or use it to top grilled fish.

Corkey
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Beef Stroganoff with Portobello Mushrooms
Recipe courtesy EatingWell.com
Rated: 4 stars out of 5

Prep Time:40 minLevel: EasyYield: 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each

Ingredients
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 pound flank steak, trimmed
4 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, halved and thinly sliced
1 large onion, sliced
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons cognac or brandy
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or parsley, divided
Directions
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add steak and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (The meat will be rare, but will continue to cook as it rests.) Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut lengthwise into 2 long pieces then crosswise, across the grain, into 1/4-inch-thick slices.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are very tender and lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in broth, cognac (or brandy) and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream, chives (or parsley), the sliced steak and any accumulated juices. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.

Nutrition Facts
Nutritional AnalysisPer serving Calories329
Carbohydrate Servings1
Carbohydrates14 g
Protein27 g
Fat16 g
Saturated Fat5 g
Cholesterol56 g
Monounsaturated Fat7 g
Dietary Fiber2 g
Sodium383 mg
Potassium638 mg
Nutrition BonusSelenium (42% daily value), Zinc (31% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).

One can always substitute turkey, chicken or bison for beef.
Proteins, fat and cholesterol values will change if one does.
There are online charts for different protein values.

Recipe courtesy FoodNetwork.com

WolfyOne
02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
This is a breakfast recipe from The Skinny Chef. I haven't tried it and just saw it as I was reading online. It sounded good, so I thought I would share it here.

Hot Cereal with Quinoa, Oats and Flax

Serves 2

1/2 cup quinoa, well rinsed
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon ground flax
2 tablespoons chopped dates
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped pecans

Place the quinoa in a small saucepan with 1½ cups of water. Bring to a boil and cover. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the center of each quinoa seed is almost translucent. Stir in the oats, flax, dates, ginger, cloves and salt. Cook 5 to 10 minutes more, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are cooked through. Stir in the brown sugar and nuts, serve immediately.

Nutritional Information Per Serving (1¼ cup):
398 calories
12 g protein, 70 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 8g fiber, 5 mg sodium.

Lady Jewel
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Sounds yummy Wolfy :)

This is a breakfast recipe from The Skinny Chef. I haven't tried it and just saw it as I was reading online. It sounded good, so I thought I would share it here.

Hot Cereal with Quinoa, Oats and Flax

Serves 2

1/2 cup quinoa, well rinsed
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon ground flax
2 tablespoons chopped dates
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped pecans

Place the quinoa in a small saucepan with 1½ cups of water. Bring to a boil and cover. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the center of each quinoa seed is almost translucent. Stir in the oats, flax, dates, ginger, cloves and salt. Cook 5 to 10 minutes more, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are cooked through. Stir in the brown sugar and nuts, serve immediately.

Nutritional Information Per Serving (1¼ cup):
398 calories
12 g protein, 70 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 8g fiber, 5 mg sodium.

WolfyOne
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Here's another breakfast recipe from The Skinny Chef

Cashew Granola Crunch

Makes 8 cups

4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup cashew pieces
1/4 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup ground flax
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest (from one medium orange)
1.2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 250°F. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, ground flax, brown sugar, orange zest, allspice, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Toss well to combine. Drizzle over the maple syrup and oil. Toss again to coat.

Coat two large baking sheets with cooking spray. Spread the granola out evenly onto the baking sheets. Bake for about 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes until the coconut is toasted and the granola is evenly browned. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheets. Transfer to an air-tight container and store up to two weeks.

Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 cup granola plus 3/4 cup skim milk):
365 calories
13 g protein, 58 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (1 g saturated), 3 mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 176 mg sodium

WolfyOne
02-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Another Skinny Chef Recipe....this one sounds yummy.

This recipe is updated with tasty, lean protein sources, including ground turkey, egg whites, skim milk and part-skim mozzarella. I've also substituted old-fashioned oats for the usual breadcrumbs, sneaking in better carbohydrates where no one will notice.

Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf

Serves 8

2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup oats (not quick cooking)
2 egg whites
1/8 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup non-fat milk
1/4 cup minced parsley
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
2 tablespoons ketchup or barbecue sauce

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat a large, dry skillet over high heat. Add the spinach and 2 tablespoons water. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, until the spinach wilts. Set aside. Place oats into large bowl, along with eggs, milk and soy sauce. Stir well to coat and soak about 10 minutes. Add ground turkey, parsley, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and paprika. Mix well.

Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray and smooth half the meat mixture into the pan. Top with spinach. Sprinkle over cheese, then press the remaining meat over top and cover with ketchup or barbecue sauce. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the meatloaf is no longer pink in the center, test by inserting a knife. Rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

Jet
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Eat to Win, Robert Haas' first book which came out in the 80s and this book have amazing recipes. This is NOT a fad diet approach. It's alternative cooking to lose and maintain weight whether you're into sports or not. Haas' books are available new and used at amazon.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr257/lionoflionsman/Picture6-1.png

WolfyOne
02-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Anyone interested in dessert or cookie recipes with a healthy alternative and less calories?

Spirit Dancer
02-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Jewel
Made this last night and we loved it, tasty and we had left overs to freeze.
Thanks for sharing(f)

This recipe is yummmyyyyyy and very healthy too.

Tip: Dont add the salt. I didnt and it tasted really good and it lowered the sodium content

Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Brown rice makes a crispy, chewy crust that makes this quiche more satisfying without adding refined flours and fat.

One 12-ounce package firm or extra-firm silken tofu*
1/4 cup plain soy milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon tahini
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoons salt

2 cups cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon vegan parmesan (optional)
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 bunch asparagus (about 12 ounces)
1/4 cup shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 heaping cup (about 4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
olive oil spray

Preheat oven to 350. Put first 8 ingredients (tofu through salt) into blender. Puree until completely smooth, stirring a couple of times between blending.

Mix rice with 3 tablespoons of the tofu mixture and the vegan parmesan (optional). Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray or canola oil, and press the rice into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.

Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut off the top 3 inches and set aside. Chop the remaining stalks into 1/2-inch pieces.

Spray a medium non-stick saucepan with olive oil and heat. Add the shallots and cook for about 1 minute. Add the garlic, asparagus, and two tablespoons water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and 2 more tablespoons water. Cover and cook 2 more minutes. Remove cover, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, for a minute or two until most liquid has evaporated. Separate out the asparagus tips from the rest of the vegetables. (NOTE: Next time I will not pre-cook the asparagus tips; they should cook well enough in the oven.)

Spread the vegetables (excluding the asparagus tips) on top of the rice crust. Pour the remaining tofu mixture over the vegetables (use a flexible spatula to get it all out of the blender), stirring lightly to distribute it through the vegetables. Arrange the asparagus tips over the top and spray lightly with olive oil.

Bake for 60 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting (this helps make the quiche slice more cleanly, but if you don't care about that, go ahead and dig in!)

Serves 4. Per serving: 223 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (18% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 441mg Sodium; 4g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core (omit tahini)/4 Flex Points.

*Tip: Make this lower in fat by using lite silken tofu and fat-free soy milk: 200 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 485mg Sodium; 4g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core (omit tahini)/3 Flex Points.

Spirit Dancer
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Anyone interested in dessert or cookie recipes with a healthy alternative and less calories?
I'm interested Wolfy:ballerina:
Roasted Fish & Potatoes

1 1/2 lbs all purpose potatoes (4 to 5 medium) peeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemay or 1 teaspoon dried, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt divided
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lemon jiuce
1 lb striped bass, sea bass, red snapper or halibut fillets
1 tablespoon chopped chives or parsley (optional)

I'm trying this one tomorrow, thanks for all the great recipes.

1) Heat oven to 450 F. Coat 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray

2) In baking dish, toss potatoes with 2 teaspoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons of the rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Cover, bake 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together lemon juice, the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil, the remaining 2 teaspoons of the rosemary, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.

3) Lay fish pieces, skin side down, over potatoes. Spoon lemon juice mixture over fish. Return to oven; bake, uncovered, an additional 10 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness of fish) or until fish flakes easily with a fork and potatoes are tender.

4) Sprinkle with hives, if desired; serve with lemon wedges.

4 servings

Per serving: 285 calories, 7.5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 g protein, 31 g carbs, 91 mg cholesteral, 379 mg sodium, 3 g fiber,
Star nutrients: Vitamin b6 (39%) Vitamin B12 (72%) Vitamin C (57%) Niacin (25%) Phosphorus (30%) Copper (24%) Magnesium (21%) Thiamin (18%)

This is an alternative to deep fried fish and chips

WolfyOne
02-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Better For You Brownies
Dates, the secret ingredient in these lower fat brownies, replaces butter and have a remarkable affinity with chocolate. Ground walnuts give these brownies a rich background flavor

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1/2 cup boiling water
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup walnuts toasted *
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 semi sweet chocolate chips

1) Heat oven to 350 F. Coat 8x11 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine cocoa, dates and coffee.Add boiling water; stir until cocoa has dissolved. Let stand about 10 minutes or until completely cooled.

2) In food processor, flour, baking powder, salt and walnuts; process until walnuts are ground. Transfer to large bowl.

3) Scrape cooled cocoa mixture into food processor. Add egg, egg white, 1 cup of the sugar, canola oil and vanilla; process until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down sides of bowl.

4) Add cocoa mixture to reserved flour mixture; mix with rubber spatula just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Scrape batter into baking dish, spreading evenly. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the top.

5) Bake brownies 22 to 25 minutes or until top is firm around edges and just set in center. Let cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars**

12 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Ready to serve: 1 hour 15 minutes

Per serving: 185 calories
6.5 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat) 3 g protein, 32 g carbs, 18 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

TIP * To toast walnuts, place in a dry skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.

TIP ** To prevent brownies from sticking to the knife, spary it with nonstick cooking spray before cutting into the bars.

Nutrition Note: The added bonus of this brownie recipe is fiber. It provides 3 grams of fiber per serving, while a traditional brownie recipe has just 1 gram.

WolfyOne
02-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Baked Trout Recipe

Makes 3 servings

One dish High Carb and Protien meal!

Ingredients 3 trout fillet
1 salt and pepper to taste
16 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoons chopped parsley
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 yellow squash, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 F . Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with 0 calorie cooking spray. Season the trout with salt and pepper to taste, and place in baking dish.

In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, squash, zucchini, onion and bell pepper. Spread evenly over the fish.

Bake for 35 minutes, or until fish flakes easily. Serve over brown rice for extra filling.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 199 ,Total Fat 5.6g, Saturated Fat 0.9g,Trans Fat 0.0g, Cholesterol 46mg, Sodium 358mg, Carbohydrates 18.2g, Dietary Fiber 5.3g, Sugars 10.3g, Protein 20.3g, Vitamin A 44% • Vitamin C 148%, Calcium 9% • Iron 1

WolfyOne
02-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Fish Tacos

Ingredients:
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
1 pound firm white fish fillets such as halibut or cod
8 corn tortillas

Preparation:
In a small bowl, combine lime juice, cumin, olive oil and cilantro. Place fish in a glass baking dish or in a resealable plastic bag. Add marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Coat a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place marinated fish on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Alternatively, broil or grill fish, allowing 10 minutes per inch of thickness.

Warm corn tortillas according to instructions on package.

When fish is cooked, cut into strips or chunks and divide among corn tortillas. Add shredded cabbage, low fat or fat free sour cream and salsa for garnish.

Serves 4.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Per Serving (without garnish): Calories 329,
Calories from Fat 53, Total Fat 5.9g (sat 0.9g), Cholesterol 36mg, Sodium 72mg, Carbohydrate 40.6g, Fiber 4.5g, Protein 28.5g

Lady Jewel
02-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Sounds yummy :) Thank you for posting it for us.

Fish Tacos

Ingredients:
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp olive oil
8 corn tortillas

Preparation:
In a small bowl, combine lime juice, cumin, olive oil and cilantro. Place fish in a glass baking dish or in a resealable plastic bag. Add marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Coat a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place marinated fish on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Alternatively, broil or grill fish, allowing 10 minutes per inch of thickness.

When fish is cooked, cut into strips or chunks and divide among corn tortillas. Add shredded cabbage, low fat or fat free sour cream and salsa for garnish.

Serves 4.

Calories from Fat 53, Total Fat 5.9g (sat 0.9g), Cholesterol 36mg, Sodium 72mg, Carbohydrate 40.6g, Fiber 4.5g, Protein 28.5g

WolfyOne
02-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Jewel, I found this link in an email from my freebie site and thought I would post it here with you in mind because of your diabetes. there are some recipes and info that are in PDF. Can be saved for future use.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/pdfs/premium.pdf

Lady Jewel
02-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Awww Wolfy, youre such a good guy for remembering me :) Thank you so much.

Jewel, I found this link in an email from my freebie site and thought I would post it here with you in mind because of your diabetes. there are some recipes and info that are in PDF. Can be saved for future use.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/pdfs/premium.pdf

angelswhisper
02-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Lady Jewel and the other members of this group...Thank You for sharing your recipes with us. I am NOT part of the group but am always looking for ways to manage my health/weight. I value recipes that give the nutritional values and consider the needs of those who are consuming them. Through your efforts to help one another, you are also touching the lives around you. Thank you again! May you find great encouragement toward your goals and strength in each moment you live as stronger, healthier people. Have a FABULOUS DAY!

Spirit Dancer
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
So we had the fish tacos and they were really good, we used homemade corn tortillas as to control the sodium, easy and $$$$ wise. Thanks Wolfy

Fish Tacos

Ingredients:
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp olive oil
8 corn tortillas

Preparation:

Serves 4.

Corkey
03-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Our new Food Network mag came today and I found a recipe for Garlic Quinoa. For those not familiar with quinoa, it is a whole grain and is healthier than pasta. Quinoa with Garlic, Pine Nuts and Raisins

Courtesy of Ellie Krieger for Food Network Magazine
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

Cook Time:20 minLevel: EasyYield: 4 serving

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions
Place the quinoa in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add 1 3/4 cups water (or use low-sodium chicken broth) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the olive oil and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic to the plate, reserving the oil.

Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Add the pine nuts, garlic, reserved oil, parsley, raisins and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss.

Per serving (3/4 cup):
Calories 300;
Fat 15 g (Saturated 2 g);
Cholesterol 0 mg;
Sodium 5 mg;
Carbohydrate 37 g;
Fiber 4 g;
Protein 8 g

Corkey
03-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Many of you know I have food allergys to garlic, onions and eggs so I'm only guessing on if it tastes good, but it sure looks good!

WolfyOne
03-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Glazed Chocolate-Pumpkin Bundt Cake
16 servings

Active Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 3 1/2 hours (including cooling time)

Ingredients
Cake
1 cup all-purpose, flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 large egg white, at room temperature
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Glaze & Garnish
1/2 cup packed confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon nonfat buttermilk
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips, or toasted chopped nuts (see Tip)

Preparation
To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a medium bowl.
Blend 1 cup buttermilk, pumpkin puree and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in whole egg and egg white. Stir in oil, corn syrup and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
Bake the cake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack, about 2 hours.
To glaze & garnish cake: Combine confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon buttermilk in a small bowl, stirring until completely smooth. Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the glaze over the top; garnish with chocolate chips (or chopped nuts) while the glaze is still moist.

Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4 up to 1 day ahead. Glaze and garnish (Step 5) shortly before serving. Equipment: 12-cup Bundt pan
Tips: To warm an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.

Nutrition
Per serving: 234 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 159 mg potassium.

3 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat

Leigh
03-14-2010, 01:51 PM
This looks like a very good thread, I will make sure to try some of these recipes in the future :)

Oh and I LOVE the Food Network Magazine as well as Quinoa, so I will have to try that recipe you posted Corkey :thumbsup:

Andrew, Jr.
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I just saw this thread. I am glad I did. I will be following some of the thinking, and receipes here.

Fabulous! :rockband:

PinkieLee
03-15-2010, 12:32 PM
What a great idea! I get so tired of eating the same dishes, so it's nice to see recipes that others have tried and actually like... especially diet dishes.

One of my favorite websites with all kinds of diet tips & receipes, is www.3fatchicks.com

I'll post a couple for y'all that I want to try, too.

Oven Fried Honey Chicken

1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp. Balsamic or wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
6 each boneless skinless chicken breast halves

recipe directions:
Combine honey and vinegar. Dip chicken in honey mixture then roll in bread crumbs to coat. Place on a baking sheet which has been sprayed well with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes, or until cooked through.

Serves: 6 - Nutrition Information Per Serving: calories 280 total fat 3 sat fat 1protein 31 fiber 1 sodium (mg)310 carbs 32 ww pts 6

mountainbikedyke
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey all- I've been eating a lot healthier these days so I've been researching different recipes, etc. The new Biggest Loser cookbook is awesome. It basically gives you calorie-saving alternatives for the foods we all typically like...

Keep up the good work!

PinkieLee
03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Spicy Thai Diced Chicken with Basil

recipe ingredients
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup chopped or sliced yellow onion
4 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 medium habanero chili, stemmed, seeded and minced
3/4 tsp. arrowroot or cornstarch, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
3 Tbsp. Thai fish sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup Thai sweet basil leaves
1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Rice:
1 can (14½ ounces) vegetable or nonfat chicken broth, plus water to equal 3 cups
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Lemon wedges

recipe directions
Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve the arrowroot in the water. Stir in the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Set aside. Chop the basil leaves coarsely and set aside; some of the tiny leaves can be left whole.

To prepare the rice: In a large saucepan, combine the broth-water combination, rice and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring well. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes. With a fork, stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice, recover and set aside.

While the rice is cooking, heat the tablespoon oil in a 9- to-10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and stir 2 minutes. Add the garlic and chili; stir 2 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-high, add the chicken and stir 3 minutes. Stir in the fish sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken gently 5 minutes. Check for doneness. Stir in the basil and lemon juice.

Spoon the chicken over the rice and serve with lemon wedges.

calories 308 total fat 5 sat fat 1 protein 24 fiber 1 sodium (mg) 336 carbs 43ww pts 6

mountainbikedyke
03-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Spicy Thai Diced Chicken with Basil

recipe ingredients
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup chopped or sliced yellow onion
4 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 medium habanero chili, stemmed, seeded and minced
3/4 tsp. arrowroot or cornstarch, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
3 Tbsp. Thai fish sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup Thai sweet basil leaves
1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Rice:
1 can (14½ ounces) vegetable or nonfat chicken broth, plus water to equal 3 cups
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Lemon wedges

recipe directions
Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve the arrowroot in the water. Stir in the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Set aside. Chop the basil leaves coarsely and set aside; some of the tiny leaves can be left whole.

To prepare the rice: In a large saucepan, combine the broth-water combination, rice and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring well. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes. With a fork, stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice, recover and set aside.

While the rice is cooking, heat the tablespoon oil in a 9- to-10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and stir 2 minutes. Add the garlic and chili; stir 2 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-high, add the chicken and stir 3 minutes. Stir in the fish sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken gently 5 minutes. Check for doneness. Stir in the basil and lemon juice.

Spoon the chicken over the rice and serve with lemon wedges.

calories 308 total fat 5 sat fat 1 protein 24 fiber 1 sodium (mg) 336 carbs 43ww pts 6

WOW! This looks good!

mountainbikedyke
03-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey all- I've been eating a lot healthier these days so I've been researching different recipes, etc. The new Biggest Loser cookbook is awesome. It basically gives you calorie-saving alternatives for the foods we all typically like...

Keep up the good work!

I meant to add that this cookbook is great for us culinary-challenged guys! Of course, we ARE born with the keen ability to grill meat, which is a very healthy method of cooking...

Corkey
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I look for recipes that keep the sodium levels below 100 mg. Sodium is a major fluid retainer, which makes one swell, and it isn't heart healthy. When I use soy sauce, I use low sodium soyu.

WolfyOne
03-15-2010, 12:57 PM
It made me smile to see more of you reading and contributing to this thread.

If any of you use any of the recipes posted, could you come back and tell us what or if you liked or disliked about it? It would help others to decide if they want to make it. I know I see some I'll be happy to make when I have all the ingredients readily available........must go now and make a shopping list, lol.

Corkey
03-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Asparagus Soup

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003

Rated: 5 stars out of 5 Rate
Cook Time:1 hr 0 minLevel: IntermediateYield: 8 to 12 servings

Ingredients
3 pounds fresh asparagus, rinsed
8 cups chicken stock
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup minced shallots
1 cup minced leeks, whites only, well rinsed
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, garnish
Directions
Trim the attractive top tips from the asparagus, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in length. Cut the woody stem ends from each spear and reserve. Cut the remaining tender stalks into 1/2-inch pieces.

In a medium pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add the tough woody stems, lower the heat and simmer to infuse with asparagus flavor, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard, reserving the stock.

Add the decorative tips to the stock and blanch until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove with a strainer and refresh in an ice water bath. Drain on paper towels and reserve for the garnish. Reserve the stock.

In a medium stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. When foamy, add the shallots and leeks and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chopped asparagus stalks, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the reserved broth and simmer until the asparagus are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.

With a hand-immersion blender or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup until smooth. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. If serving right away, return to medium heat and add the cream and reserved asparagus tips. Cook, stirring, until the soup is warmed through, about 3 minutes.

Alternatively, if serving the soup later, do not add the cream and let cool at room temperature (or in an ice water bath). Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, add the cream and asparagus tips, and warm the soup gently over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

To serve, place the soup in a soup tureen and sprinkle with cheese. Ladle into demi-tasse cups or small coffee or tea cups, and serve.

If one is worries about the heavy cream, use half n' half.

This is a Lagasse recipe, so there is no nutritional info. Lets just say I'm splurging.

ruthie14
03-28-2010, 04:16 PM
If one is worries about the heavy cream, use half n' half.

FYI... I use nonfat evaporated milk in my atkins recipies. I have to watch my fat intake so I start using that just to try it. It works really well, particularly for alfredo sauce. lol yummmmy

WolfyOne
11-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Bumpity Bump Bump Bump

I see some people are looking for healthy recipes in a new thread
Here's a bunch of them to get ya'll started