PDA

View Full Version : North Dallas' Royal Lane Baptist Church ends silence on welcoming gays, lesbians with Web site change

bigbutchmistie
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM
A church, like a person, can come out of the closet. And that's what Royal Lane Baptist did recently.

The 500-member church in North Dallas has for years quietly welcomed gays and lesbians, even ordaining some as deacons.

Last month, risking conflict with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, a majority of deacons voted to change Royal Lane's Web site to reflect the church's welcome to and affirmation of gays and lesbians.

"In effect, this is a collective coming out about who we are and have been for a long time," said Ruth May, vice chair of the deacons.

The Web site now includes the line: "We are a vibrant mosaic of varied racial identities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and denominational backgrounds."

The Rev. David Matthews, the church's pastor, emphasized that members had not voted to change Royal Lane's mission statement or bylaws, which do not address homosexuality. But he agreed that the revised Web site is a public statement that the church welcomes gays and lesbians and does not think they need to remain celibate or try to change their sexual orientation.

"There were a handful [of deacons] who voted against it, indicating that they were not voting against gay members of the church, but just the advertising of it," Matthews said. "Other than that, it was approved. You never know what the long-term reaction is going to be, but so far I think everybody feels OK with it."

May, a lesbian, said that when she joined the church in 1994 it already had a reputation for welcoming gays and lesbians. Longtime members include Bruce Lowe, a 94-year-old retired Baptist pastor whose essay "A Letter to Louise: A Biblical Affirmation of Homosexuality" is widely circulated on the Internet and argues that the verses generally cited as condemning homosexuality have been misunderstood and taken out context.

Rare move

Matthews, who became Royal Lane's pastor last year, said the Bible "understood through the prism of Jesus" calls for full acceptance of gays and lesbians.

"The thought of Jesus being unaccepting of somebody because of their sexual orientation – not their choice, but their orientation – that's unthinkable to me," he said.

But Royal Lane's going public with its position is extremely rare for a Texas Baptist church and would seem to guarantee conflict with a group it has long been a part of – the Dallas-based Baptist General Convention of Texas.

"The convention has been clear in its belief that the Bible teaches homosexual behavior is sinful," said Randel Everett, the BGCT's executive director. "As to the specific situation at Royal Lane Baptist Church, it would be premature for me to comment until I have spoken with the congregation's leadership and gained all the facts."

Matthews said Royal Lane wants to remain in the BGCT, a vehicle by which Baptist churches support evangelism, Baptist colleges and universities, and emergency relief efforts.

He noted that Baptists traditionally have placed a high value on church autonomy, and he said he hopes the BGCT will not interfere in Royal Lane's case.

But while the BGCT is considered the more moderate of the two large state Baptist groups, it has many conservative pastors and a record of confronting churches on homosexuality.

Past battles

In 1998, after University Baptist Church of Austin ordained an openly gay man as deacon, the BGCT executive board recommended not accepting any more donations from the church and asking that the church remove the convention's name from its Web site and other materials. University took the hint.

"We didn't want to leave, but it was very clear that it was going to be a nasty fight and we weren't going to win," said Larry Bethune, the church's pastor.

Two years ago, Broadway Baptist Church of Fort Worth went through a wrenching internal fight over whether same-sex couples should be included in a church photo directory.

The controversy led the Southern Baptist Convention to cut ties with the church last summer, and Broadway avoided a widely expected showdown with the BGCT by not sending messengers to the BGCT's annual meeting last fall.

Brent Beasley, Broadway's pastor, said the church expects soon to reopen talks with the BGCT about the future of their relationship.

Royal Lane's situation could be more complicated than Broadway's, since Royal Lane's membership includes BGCT staff members.

May said she hopes Royal Lane can stay in the BGCT, but she doesn't see the church backing down.

"Our consensus was there's nothing more important than being truthful about who you are as a church and what you value," she said. "If any organization has a problem with that, that's their problem

Thoughts?

Miss Scarlett
03-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Good for them! Myers Park Baptist Church here in Charlotte did the same thing a while back and totally freaked out the SBC. We've actually got 3 LGBT welcoming Baptist churches here. I think breaking away from the SBC is a good thing for any church.

bigbutchmistie
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Good for them! Myers Park Baptist Church here in Charlotte did the same thing a while back and totally freaked out the SBC. We've actually got 3 LGBT welcoming Baptist churches here. I think breaking away from the SBC is a good thing for any church.

I agree Ms. Scarlett :) I was raised Baptist. My adopted dad as some know here on this site is a Baptist Minister. When I read this, it made me smile. Texas is such a Bible Belt, the fact that this happened shows progress to me. Thanks for you for your post :)

MsDemeanor
03-06-2010, 11:56 PM
If it can happen in a Texas Baptist church, it can happen anywhere!

AtLast
03-07-2010, 12:00 AM
][FONT="Century Gothic"]I say ...... WOOT![/[/COLOR]FONT]

bigbutchmistie
03-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments :)

PearlsNLace
03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
My baptisim was removed from record (as a recording error) when I refused to deny that I was gay, in 1992, from a Baptist church. Its a heart wrenching pain that all these years later, I still feel with the topic of ANYTHING Baptist and gay come together.

This, this is simply wonderful. I want more words. I cant articulate the hope and bittersweet joy this is welling up for me.

To be welcome, fought for, stood up for, by your church home. In a baptist church home. I never ever thought that would be possible.

Beautiful.

The thought occurs to me to send them a thank you note.

So awesome.

theoddz
03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I, too, was raised and baptised in a Southern Baptist church in Savannah, GA. Even though this church was a member of the Southern Baptist Convention, it was very very liberal in its policies. I remember the church "fathers" quietly letting a group of members (who believed in and practiced speaking in tongues) know that "we don't cotton to that, so if you're going to persist in doing that sort of thing, you really need to take that somewhere else besides OUR church".

I have never darkened the door of another Baptist church after I joined the Marine Corps and left home, over 30 years ago. I think my feelings are due to the intolerance and UNChristianly type of statements/policies that the Southern Baptist Convention has issued, over the years, towards the GLBTQ community.

I have to say, however, that this message heartens me. I admire this church and others like it for taking a stand against bigotry and intolerance. I was wondering when more people who say they are such good "Christians" would begin practicing what they preach. This is truly refreshing.

~Theo~ :bouquet:

bigbutchmistie
03-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I do understand you guys on being shunned out of the Baptist Church. When I came out, I too was told if this is the "lifestyle" you choose never come back.

PearlsNLace, I wanna send a copy of this to my adopted dad and his church.. LOL And show them that there are Christians out there who do practice what they preach... and as Theo said that is refreshing to say the very least.

Hugs to you both.

LieslKate
03-07-2010, 01:40 PM
You know G/god, G/godess has no affiliation with any church, they are all human created... so sad that humans hate based on so many issues, race, gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation to mention a few... we would all be so much better off without any churches / religions and especially christianity, of any sect, which has the bloodiest history of hatred of all religions... worship, believe and love in your heart what ever is true for you, thats what truly counts.

key
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I do understand you guys on being shunned out of the Baptist Church. When I came out, I too was told if this is the "lifestyle" you choose never come back.

PearlsNLace, I wanna send a copy of this to my adopted dad and his church.. LOL And show them that there are Christians out there who do practice what they preach... and as Theo said that is refreshing to say the very least.

Hugs to you both.

Vacationing in Florida every summer is a lifestyle. Being Gay is who I am.

Hearing that "lifestyle" word is like nails on a chalkboard to me. And then I recently had my own stereotypes shattered recently when someone said. "It does not matter whether someone was born gay or 'chooses to be gay', either way it's okay."

So in other words, even if being gay is "just" a lifestyle choice for someone. It's still not wrong/evil/bad/against God etc etc etc.

Andrew, Jr.
03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I am glad to see this sort of progress. God loves everyone. :heartbeat:

bigbutchmistie
03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I am glad to see this sort of progress. God loves everyone. :heartbeat:

Yes Andrew he does :)

bigbutchmistie
05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
By SAM HODGES / The Dallas Morning News
samhodges@dallasnews.com
The state’s largest Baptist group officially broke ties today with Royal Lane Baptist Church in North Dallas, citing the church’s acceptance of openly gay deacons.

By a 63-4 vote, the executive board of the Baptist General Convention of Texas voted not to accept funds from Royal Lane. The same resolution asked the church to stop indicating in publications that it is a BGCT affiliate.

Randel Everett, executive director of the BGCT, called the decision “painful” but not difficult.

Though BGCT churches should welcome homosexuals, he said, the group’s long-held view is that the Bible teaches homosexual behavior is sinful.

Royal Lane’s acknowledgement that it has ordained openly gay deacons meant that it was “clearly outside” BGCT beliefs, Everett added.

Doug Washington, a Royal Lane deacon and BGCT executive board member, spoke against the resolution. He said the church has two gay deacons, and he praised them as outstanding leaders.

“To say something is wrong with them is to say God made a mistake,” Washington said. “I can’t buy into that.”

The BGCT requires that executive board members and employees be part of a church in good standing with the denomination. Washington said he would be resigning from the board.

Two Royal Lane members are BGCT employees, and Everett said they would have to find another church if they want to keep their jobs.

He said there’s no timetable for them to decide.

The board’s vote ratifies an interim action by Everett after The Dallas Morning News reported in March that Royal Lane Baptist Church, on Royal between Hillcrest and Preston, had begun to describe itself on its website as a “vibrant mosaic of varied racial identities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and denominational backgrounds.” The article noted that Royal Lane had gay deacons, and Everett confirmed that in meetings with church leaders.

Royal Lane was founded in 1952. The church was early to diversify racially and to have women as deacons and associate pastors. A letter from Royal Lane deacons to Everett during the current controversy noted that the church had ordained a gay deacon at least 15 years ago.

Washington said Royal Lane very much wanted to remain in the BGCT, a vehicle through which churches support evangelism, education, emergency relief, and more.

But he said Royal Lane, which has about 500 members, will not be threatened by losing BGCT affiliation.

“I think we’re stronger than ever,” Washington said.

But the church also has been dropped by the Dallas Baptist Association. That group’s board passed a resolution Monday, saying Royal Lane has “affirmed a doctrinal position regarding homosexual behavior that is not in harmony with the historic faith and practices of Baptists substantially as set forth in the Holy Scriptures.”

David Matthews, pastor of Royal Lane, would not comment today, but said the church would likely be releasing a statement.