PDA

View Full Version : The H1N1 Virus

Andrew, Jr.
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
I thought it would be good to talk about this pandemic. I find it quite interesting that the Fed. Gov't still can't figure out how to make enough vaccines to cover everyone, but yet is starting to make the vaccine manditory.

I also am not understanding why children and the elderly are dying of this strain. Is it really from Mexico or something made up in a lab to bring down the population?

The side effects of both the shot and mist spray up your nose can lead to many horrorific things. Now, being disabled myself, I do get the reg. flu shot every year. However, I was not sure about this H1N1.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the virus and the vaccines? Please share it with us.

Namaste,
Andrew

Andrew, Jr.
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I live inbetween 2 major army bases. I was told that the shot is mandatory for all the soldiers. I thought they would have a choice, but I guess when you work for Uncle Sam, you do as you are told.

We have had many infants, and young tweens die here in Maryland of the H1N1 Virus. The elderly who have gotten it, are in the hospital now. I really never believed that anyone would die from a flu today. Not with the healthcare tech. we have, and the increasing knowledge we are gaining with the use of the internet. It is just mind-boggling to me. But then again, I also know that our gov't is concerned about population control, as is other nations & countries.

I hope your partner is totally recovered now, June. Please take care of yourself, and give my best to your spouse.

WhiteTigress
11-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I thought it would be good to talk about this pandemic. I find it quite interesting that the Fed. Gov't still can't figure out how to make enough vaccines to cover everyone, but yet is starting to make the vaccine manditory.

Andrew,

The government is NOT making the vaccine. Pharmaceutical companies are. The government is the watchdog, to make sure that they make them in as safe a manner as possible, and THAT'S what makes the process slow.

As for the safety of this years vaccines...I received both the seasonal flu shot, and the H1N1 Swine Flu vaccine. No side effects. No supposed infections, as some people try to claim. Anyone who gets the flu in the days immediately following vaccination with these vaccines was ALREADY exposed and incubating the virus at the time of their injection.

If a person is already immunocompromised, I wouldn't suggest vaccination without the express instruction of their physician. I speak as a person who also has a chronic medical condition and disabilities. I get the shot, because several years ago, I got a case of the flu that it took me over 2 months to shake, because it ended up causing me severe respiratory, nasal and sinus infections, that finally caused me to have nasal sinus surgery. When the vaccine is offered, I don't refuse.

WT

Diva
11-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I did not take the vaccines. I am now recovering from the flu and my doctor stopped short of saying I had the H1N1. It's just as well. All I know is it has kicked my butt and I'm still not done with it....I actually feel pretty good. But I have this lingering involuntary cough. I've been sick since Monday, October 12th. Unbelievable!

~Diva

Mel C.
11-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Based on media reports, if people have had the flu in the last month or two, it was H1N1. This includes all the people who joined me in getting sick at/after the BASH.

I received a "regular" flu shot a month or so before the BASH and still got sick, so I think there is reason to believe it was H1N1. I am still coughing, but only occasionally (daily, but not every 15 minutes lol)

If I hadn't gotten ill after Vegas, I would probably get the H1N1 shot, but it doesn't make sense after being ill.

Andrew, Jr.
11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I got the flu shot, and the H1N1 sinus spray. However, most of the sinus spray really didn't make it where it was suppose to go. I sneeze. Now, my dr wants me to get the injection. I just have some doubts about a double dose.

Now, what is up with Wall Street getting the vaccine and children who are most vulnerable not? That is really not smart if you ask me.

Andrew, Jr.
11-06-2009, 12:24 PM
These are the firms who received units of the H1N1 vaccine according to CNN...TimeWarner, JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, and Goldman Sachs. Now, with the news stations showing daily all over the country lines of people searching for the vaccine, it makes me question who is determining who gets it vs. who does not.

Scorp
11-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I agree, and in our state the friggon prisoners are getting it!?? I don't understand that shit at all. So screw the elderly and others who are in dire need of this. Where are the priorities?? :mad:

On another note, I personally have chosen not to get a regular flu shot, or this H1N1 shot. I guess even if I wanted the H1 shot, I most likely couldn't get it.

These are the firms who received units of the H1N1 vaccine according to CNN...TimeWarner, JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, and Goldman Sachs. Now, with the news stations showing daily all over the country lines of people searching for the vaccine, it makes me question who is determining who gets it vs. who does not.

Mel C.
11-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Now, what is up with Wall Street getting the vaccine and children who are most vulnerable not? That is really not smart if you ask me.

This is exactly why I never used to get the flu vaccine...I wanted to make sure that people who are at risk (children, elderly, people with health problems that make the flu more dangerous, health care workers, etc) have access to them. There is NO reason that Wall Street should get vaccinated before people in schools and retirement homes get vaccinated...disgusting!

SuperFemme
11-06-2009, 01:03 PM
My son received the H1N1 vaccine in the beginning of October.
He became very ill afterwards, it was scary.

Fast forward to a few days ago: The school is MANDATING the vaccine. He tells his teacher he already got it and she calls him a liar. I was incensed. She told him nobody in the county had it yet, and he wasn't special. I called the pediatrician to make sure I was NOT having a brain injury moment, and they got me a copy of the shot record and a stern letter to the teacher.

Boy takes letter to school and teacher cries, whilst apologizing.

In my mind, proof that the media is participating in scare tactics.

Bit
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
We have had many infants, and young tweens die here in Maryland of the H1N1 Virus. The elderly who have gotten it, are in the hospital now. I really never believed that anyone would die from a flu today. Not with the healthcare tech. we have, and the increasing knowledge we are gaining with the use of the internet.

Oh my gosh Andrew, didn't you know? The regular seasonal flu--the flu everyone gets, that comes around every year--is the real killer. 36,000 people a year die in the US from regular seasonal flu--despite education, despite medication, despite hospitalization, when people catch it the regular seasonal flu still kills thirty-six thousand people a year, every year, in the US.

The reason you're hearing so much about H1N1 is that it's out of season; it came into this country in April and lasted all summer and into fall. According to the CDC, it's a mutated flu that is part swine flu and part bird flu. Influenza viruses do this all the time, mutate or recombine, and that's why there's a new vaccine every flu season.

Next year, H1N1 will just be another part of the seasonal flu. This year, because it's new and out of season, it's scaring everyone--but it STILL isn't making as many people sick (or killing as many people) as the regular seasonal flu does every single year.

dixie
11-08-2009, 11:39 AM
My son had the H1N1 last month. Luckily his case wasn't severe, although he was sick for most of the month and missed almost 3 weeks of school. Thankfully, he seems to have finally recovered fully.

Vlasta
11-08-2009, 03:23 PM
My employer made a flu shot mandatory this year , if not you were out! .... unless you are allergic to vaccine or you bring from your primary MD excuse for some type of medical conditions you cannot get vaccinated .Rightfully, many people were angry about it .
My company used to be very good , but it's getting very arrogant and demanding in many ways due to the unemployment rate , because there are other positions beside medical.

H1N1 was not mandatory , I went and I got vaccine anyway . I have been vaccinated for many things in my lifetime due to travel ... so I was what the heck . I didn't got any s/s that other people were describing beside in 24 hours I developed cold sore on my lip .

I will see if I catch anything since I am around a lot of ill people . I was lucky so far . I will definitely update if anything .

Andrew, Jr.
11-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Cath, :)

The folks who I mentioned in my post got sick and or died from the swine flu. Yes, I knew about the reg. flu killing people. The swine flu reminds me of the flu pandemic from 1918 Spanish Flu that killed 50 million of people worldwide.:(

Blaze
12-06-2009, 10:35 AM
As for the H1N1 it is coming to a slow down. But once again, it has mutated to a stronger virus, hence when it doe's reappear, it will create just as much havoc as it did earlier.
In the hospital environment, most of us wanted the Shot, it is a dead virus of H1N1, if you do have any type of upper respiratory problems, smoker, low immune system, I highly suggest the Shot. While if you are healthy and young, they are pushing the Live Virus the Nasal Spray. Most area's are up to date and moving along with the shots.
It was very difficult to keep up with all the vaccinations because of the high volume of trying to meet the demands of the seasonal flu vaccines as well as trying to make a mass productions of the H1N1 flue vaccines that take a tad longer because they have to be developed in a egg. If you are allergic to Eggs, then this shot is not recommended for your use.

Gemme
12-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Oh my gosh Andrew, didn't you know? The regular seasonal flu--the flu everyone gets, that comes around every year--is the real killer. 36,000 people a year die in the US from regular seasonal flu--despite education, despite medication, despite hospitalization, when people catch it the regular seasonal flu still kills thirty-six thousand people a year, every year, in the US.

The reason you're hearing so much about H1N1 is that it's out of season; it came into this country in April and lasted all summer and into fall. According to the CDC, it's a mutated flu that is part swine flu and part bird flu. Influenza viruses do this all the time, mutate or recombine, and that's why there's a new vaccine every flu season.

Next year, H1N1 will just be another part of the seasonal flu. This year, because it's new and out of season, it's scaring everyone--but it STILL isn't making as many people sick (or killing as many people) as the regular seasonal flu does every single year.

This is very true.

I had the H1N1 virus when it wasn't cool quite yet....in May. It kicked my ass to Hell and back. I went from a scratchy throat to being flat on my back in bed with very high peaking fevers and earthshaking chills in about 12 hours.

12 FLIPPIN' HOURS!

I have a cold now and the difference is so obvious. This is slow moving but I can function and go about my life with it, although it is annoying. Before, I felt as if I was stopped in time in my misery and the world kept spinning. Or maybe it was just the vertigo I experienced while I had the virus. I'm not sure now, but I know it's super tough.

FeminineAllure
12-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I got my first ever flu shot a couple of weeks ago and I was just at my doctors last week to get my first ever pneumonia shot.
I was so sick last febuary with a 105 fever, upper respitory and severe diarrhea non stop for a week. It was the sickest I ever was in my life.
My Dr. believes it could have been the H1N1 because he explained the pneumonia usually is not accompanied with GI symtoms but H1N1 sometimes is. I ended up in the hospital was released and back again with a pneumonia diagnosis. But my Dr. joked I probably already had the antibodies for H1N1.
I asked him if he had the shot and is it safe? He waited a month but did get the shot. His office will have it in January. I do not think I am going to receive it though. If it becomes mandatory I will. I have no problem doing what I need to do to protect my health.