How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Is Starbucks blaming the victim?

16-Year-Old Starbucks Barista Sues Over 'Sex Demands' at Work

An "alarmingly high" number of high school students are reporting sexual advances from their adult bosses and other supervisors at some of the country's best known fast food operations, according to an official of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

"It's an incredibly serious problem," said Bill Cash of the EEOC in an interview to be broadcast tonight on the ABC News program "20/20."
"Employers that choose to use high school kids to work have a responsibility to protect these young people," Cash said. "We don't want them to be fondled, we don't want them to be raped."
Watch "20/20" tonight at 10 p.m. for the full report.

The issue is being raised in a number of lawsuits, including cases now pending in California against Starbucks and a McDonald's franchise owner.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.

Kati Moore of Orange County, CA claims a 24-year old supervisor at Starbucks made almost daily demands on her for sex, months after she began working as a 16-year old barista.

I felt like I didn't have a choice," Moore, now 20, told ABC News."I was ashamed and embarrassed. And I felt like he had complete control over my job... he knew all this stuff about my family and my friends and my school."

She says the supervisor would summon her for sex in hundreds of text messages, including one that said, "I'd liked to f--- tomorrow."
"It was an everyday, numerous times a day occurrence," Moore said. "And I just saw it and did what I had to do."

She says other Starbucks supervisors and managers knew what was happening but did nothing to stop the illicit relationship.

After the young woman's mother learned of the relationship, she alerted prosecutors who brought criminal charges against the Starbucks employee, Tim Horton. After claiming he did not know the barista was 16 years-old, Horton pleaded guilty to a felony charge of illegal sex with a minor and served four months in prison.

The family has sued Starbucks claiming the company failed in its responsibility to protect the young woman from Horton.

Starbucks executives declined to be interviewed but in a statement the company said, "These two employees concealed their relationship from Starbucks, which violated company policy. We are confident that the case will ultimately be resolved in finding that Starbucks is not at fault."

Starbucks Statement

SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
16-Year-Old Starbucks Barista Sues Over 'Sex Demands' at Work

An "alarmingly high" number of high school students are reporting sexual advances from their adult bosses and other supervisors at some of the country's best known fast food operations, according to an official of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

"It's an incredibly serious problem," said Bill Cash of the EEOC in an interview to be broadcast tonight on the ABC News program "20/20."
"Employers that choose to use high school kids to work have a responsibility to protect these young people," Cash said. "We don't want them to be fondled, we don't want them to be raped."
Watch "20/20" tonight at 10 p.m. for the full report.

The issue is being raised in a number of lawsuits, including cases now pending in California against Starbucks and a McDonald's franchise owner.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.

Kati Moore of Orange County, CA claims a 24-year old supervisor at Starbucks made almost daily demands on her for sex, months after she began working as a 16-year old barista.

I felt like I didn't have a choice," Moore, now 20, told ABC News."I was ashamed and embarrassed. And I felt like he had complete control over my job... he knew all this stuff about my family and my friends and my school."

She says the supervisor would summon her for sex in hundreds of text messages, including one that said, "I'd liked to f--- tomorrow."
"It was an everyday, numerous times a day occurrence," Moore said. "And I just saw it and did what I had to do."

She says other Starbucks supervisors and managers knew what was happening but did nothing to stop the illicit relationship.

After the young woman's mother learned of the relationship, she alerted prosecutors who brought criminal charges against the Starbucks employee, Tim Horton. After claiming he did not know the barista was 16 years-old, Horton pleaded guilty to a felony charge of illegal sex with a minor and served four months in prison.

The family has sued Starbucks claiming the company failed in its responsibility to protect the young woman from Horton.

Starbucks executives declined to be interviewed but in a statement the company said, "These two employees concealed their relationship from Starbucks, which violated company policy. We are confident that the case will ultimately be resolved in finding that Starbucks is not at fault."

Starbucks Statement

I am really glad times have changed since we were teenagers and people now care about this sexual harrassment and abuse. No one did 30 years ago it seems.

I do wish there were more of an effort to let young girls know that they don't have to participate and that unless they are homeless or responsible for their own upkeep, it is not the end of the world if they have to quit jobs or turn their managers in.

Maybe as more cases like this are prosecuted, this type of thing will stop or at least lessen.

PS. adds and to young guys too, it happens all the time. One of my friend's son is a checker at a grocery store and so many of the women who shop there hit on him and say disgustimg things to him and he is just a kid. One just buys giant cucumbers and lube. He has started calling his manager when she comes in to check her out.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I am really glad times have changed since we were teenagers and people now care about this sexual harrassment and abuse. No one did 30 years ago it seems.

I do wish there were more of an effort to let young girls know that they don't have to participate and that unless they are homeless or responsible for their own upkeep, it is not the end of the world if they have to quit jobs or turn their managers in.

Maybe as more cases like this are prosecuted, this type of thing will stop or at least lessen.
I agree. None of the fast food or beverage chains have training related to teen employee's and sexual harassment.

On Good Morning America they played excerpts of tonights upcoming 20/20 and the Starbucks atty.'s were grilling this girl. They asked her if she had sex before working there, and she had. Therefore, they end up implying she got what she asked for.

My latte was kind of bitter this morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

"Tim Horton"? You have GOT to be kidding!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
"Tim Horton"? You have GOT to be kidding!
I don't get it.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I don't get it.
"Tim Horton's" is the largest coffee/doughnut franchise in . Peach works for them. So this is a real story?
Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
"Tim Horton's" is the largest coffee/doughnut franchise in . Peach works for them. So this is a real story?
Yes it is. Try clicking the links in the story for more.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

It is a real story. Horton is still a common family name and they may or may not be aware of the famous franchise to the north (given it's in California).

I do think that the corporation should have taken a way different stance on this given that she is stating that she was NOT interested or involved with supervisor. Their message is suggesting, IMO, that even if you were forced to participate (at fear of losing job, friends, etc.) then you were "agreeing". And that, plain and simple, is wrong. I hope they get their asses served on a platter.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
It is a real story. Horton is still a common family name and they may or may not be aware of the famous franchise to the north (given it's in California).

I do think that the corporation should have taken a way different stance on this given that she is stating that she was NOT interested or involved with supervisor. Their message is suggesting, IMO, that even if you were forced to participate (at fear of losing job, friends, etc.) then you were "agreeing". And that, plain and simple, is wrong. I hope they get their asses served on a platter.
That is what my line of thinking is too Linus.

If you watch the video where they ask if she had sex BEFORE working there. With Anyone. It is an intentional attempt to smear her name/character. I was waiting for them to accuse her of wearing that green apron in a suggestive manner....

Good Lord!
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I have any though of blaming the victim, she is 16 legally a child.

Though, in the case of a 24 year old supervisor, the companies need to have training so they (the supervirors) know what is an is not acceptable and legal with no question.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

The suits at Starbucks sure do have a funny definition of what a "relationship" is. I wonder if they'd consider it a "relationship" if one of their daughters was involved in a similar situation?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Cybersuebee,

I was thinking the same exact thing.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,424 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

This is ridiculous on Starbuck's part because this describes quid pro quo
which is against the law. They would know this if they engaged in PROPER workplace violence/sexual harassment training. (Not just handing an employee a piece of paper at the time of employment that states what not to do and hope the employee READS it, let alone doesn't do it).

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

What strikes me most as the mother of two teenage daughters is that there is NO specific training regarding underage employees. One daughter works at Wal-Mart and I am sure I don't have to go into the horrors of just being an employee there. I would hate for somebody in management (because management is mostly men) to pressure my kid. I will be sitting down with both of them for a chat.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
HAHA.......... my thoughts exactly...... lol
they have tim hortons.... in up state /western NY , upper Pa. Ohio..... as well.
I LOVE there coffee....
its just ahh to wierd this guy has that name..... and managed a .. lol starbucks

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar55 View Post
HAHA.......... my thoughts exactly...... lol
they have tim hortons.... in up state /western NY , upper Pa. Ohio..... as well.
I LOVE there coffee....
its just ahh to wierd this guy has that name..... and managed a .. lol starbucks
Whew! I'm glad I'm not alone. Not in anyway wanting to detract from the seriousness of the topic of the thread, but if the guy's name had have been Duncan Donuts.....
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

starbucks is the devil, i just knew it!
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #18
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
starbucks is the devil, i just knew it!
Right? Now I have to find a new coffee. Dammit.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Quote:
Right? Now I have to find a new coffee. Dammit.
Might I suggest Tim Hortons?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Might I suggest Tim Hortons?
Well. They don't have that here. I live in a rural community, so there is Starbucks and I think a family owned place that never seems to be open.

If I ever live somewhere or travel somewhere I have already made a promise to myself to try the Horton place. Their donuts fascinate me.