Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
nowandthen

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
S/he
Relationship Status:
In a realationship with my PhD. Dissertation work for the next 3 years

nowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Slave Labor

This is part of the current issue with unemployment. A prison for profit society that uses prison labor and then restricts immigration, gives taxes break to corporations and bust unions.
Wells Fargo Bank has it hands in profiting from prisons

http://www.thegrio.com/news/is-force...to-georgia.php

" It's a Kind of testing, The kind of testing that spiritual warriors need in order to awaken their Heart" PC
nowandthen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nowandthen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post
This is part of the current issue with unemployment. A prison for profit society that uses prison labor and then restricts immigration, gives taxes break to corporations and bust unions.

Hmmmm....picking cotton......can you say SLAVERY????

This is disgusting.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

I just saw this on FB.

My opinion is that if one breaks the law and is in prison, then they don't deserve any rights other than health care and personal safety. When someone decides to break the law they forfeit their rights as a civilian in the free world known as the US of A.

Like I said, that's just my opinion.

The matter of others profiting from prisoner slavery is a whole other topic to me.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
nowandthen

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
S/he
Relationship Status:

nowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Wisconsin Governor prision labor

Michelle Alexandra post:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...-prison-labor/

" It's a Kind of testing, The kind of testing that spiritual warriors need in order to awaken their Heart" PC
Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
nowandthen

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
S/he
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D View Post
I just saw this on FB.

My opinion is that if one breaks the law and is in prison, then they don't deserve any rights other than health care and personal safety. When someone decides to break the law they forfeit their rights as a civilian in the free world known as the US of A.

Like I said, that's just my opinion.

The matter of others profiting from prisoner slavery is a whole other topic to me.

The prison industry in now private and for profit. Yes if you break a law you should have consequences, but you should not be used as labor for profit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nowandthen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The prison industry in now private and for profit. Yes if you break a law you should have consequences, but you should not be used as labor for profit.
And I just said that's a whole other topic for me, of which I did NOT comment on.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

While I believe that prisoners should do some form of labor to earn their keep, I do not think they should be used by the government to replace the jobs of hard working free citizens of this country. I think Walker needs to be recalled and stripped of his power.
The for profit crap is deplorable.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

This is seriously disturbing to me.

over 50% of the parolees are POC? Modern day racism in the most disturbing kind of way. It's so frickin' obvious and blatant to me. Yet, these people get away with it.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
Outlaw

How Do You Identify?:
Cocksure
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cotton Candy Swami
Relationship Status:
Loved and Loving

Outlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST Reputation
Default I'm confused

Quote:
Are you speaking to the boon in prison privatization by corporations like the GEO Group and Wackenhut?

or

Are you speaking to the privatization/for profit nature of prison industry known as Insourcing (the transfer of once private industry jobs to contract labor by inmate prison industry "jobs"?)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
nowandthen

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
S/he
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
Are you speaking to the boon in prison privatization by corporations like the GEO Group and Wackenhut?

or

Are you speaking to the privatization/for profit nature of prison industry known as Insourcing (the transfer of once private industry jobs to contract labor by inmate prison industry "jobs"?)
Both

Old 07-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,945 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I do not believe in private prisons whether for profit or not. It is the purvue of the state to inflict punishment upon its citizens convicted of a crime.

I do not believe in prison labor replacing (displacing) paid employment.

Having said both of those things, I believe that all prisoners should have a job that they are required to do. I think the prison itself should be run completely with prisoner labor. (except for guards and counselors.) I think they should grow their own food, raise their own animals for meat, paint, do repairs, cut the grass, clean the building, etc. I also think that there should be some kind of system whereby they can earn money to make restitution to the individuals and families they have harmed. If they steal or destroy something, they should have to replace it or upgrade it. If they harm someone, they should work to pay that persons medical bills and replace their lost income. It they kill someone, they should have to provide income to the deceased's families for the rest of their lives.

And to tell you the truth, though I count myself as a flaming liberal, I am not opposed to a little chain gang labor either - especially for child molesters or for people who continually are out of control while in prison.

These words are spoken by a Mom whose 22 year old son has been in prison for four years with two to go. He did the crime. He is doing the time. I hope he will learn by it.

By the way, the prison he is in has no employment opportunities and no training opportunities either. All the guys do all day is lay around, watch a very very old TV, and pump iron. He will come out with no vocational training or experience. Even he thinks a chain gang would be better.
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
nowandthen

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
S/he
Relationship Status:

Default Kick backs for sentences, caught in the for profit system

Young Women jailed for myspace page.

http://www.alternet.org/story/151540...ple_each_year/

Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Ok, for clarification sake...

My understanding of the first article is that:

1) the people who are working are people who are NOT currently in prison, but are paroled.

2)It is up to them as to whether or not they want the jobs.

3)It is up to the farmers as to whether or not they want to hire them or hire nonparolees (but, I am assuming they are encouraged to hire the parolees, or there is no point to the whole thing).

4)They are paid $7.25-$9.00 per hour.

Is any of this incorrect?

The prisons profiting is a different issue to me (but yes, I get how it fits).

Personally, I am more pissed about undocumented workers possibly being charged with felonies and given punishments of up to 15 years in prison and $250,000 in fines.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
By the way, the prison he is in has no employment opportunities and no training opportunities either. All the guys do all day is lay around, watch a very very old TV, and pump iron. He will come out with no vocational training or experience. Even he thinks a chain gang would be better.
Smooches,
Keri
This reminds me of a client I have. Her son is in prison and did some work for a while. When he was moved to a unit where he no longer worked, but instead learned how to write a resume (and other useful things about work, actually), he became really depressed. For him, working kept his mind off of being in prison and made him feel more productive.

Of course, learning to write a resume, learning interviewing skills and such as that is certainly useful, but for this inmate, it is unnecessary. He was gainfully employed working with computers prior to his arrest and will be able to go back into this field. The prison should individualize training versus work.

Ok, so I kind of went off track there from what you are saying, but my main point is just that out of the three years that he has been there, those 5 months while in prison were useful to him and useful to the prison (he did laundry detail, I believe).

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote