Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation
Default JobCorps

Good Morning BFP family. I have always said that it has taken/takes a village to raise my child so now I turn to my village for information and input.

Does anyone here have any experience with the JobCorps program?

The Boy screwed up his grades - irreperably - this semester and will most likely loose his financial aid. He knew the consequences and chose poorly. So he will be entering the job market with no experience and only a high school diploma at the age of 16.

I have looked at the JobCorps program online and it looks like a good program on paper. I just want to know if anyone has had experience, or even heard anything about it.

Or if you have any suggestions for employment skills/training/etc I would greatly appreciate it.

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,894 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know anyone personally who was involved with it, but I have heard good things about it. It is something I would definitely look into for your son. It may be a really good match for his situation. Good luck!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

When my daughter was looking into Job Corps the only issue we saw was that not all programs are available. Find out what interests him and go from there. I know that there is a Job Corps here on the Western Slope of Colorado. It is located in Collbran. Check it out. Good Luck to the boy child!

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

Thanked 1,955 Times in 496 Posts
deedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputation

My honest opinion....Have The Boy file for an appeal. Often times they can get one chance with financial aid.

Although JobCorps can be a great place for some kids, it is mostly a place for troubled kids to get back on track. My son went there by choice (we had no idea) to get his GED and is now a brick mason, doing well. His opinion, along with several others I have heard, is that there was a lot of fighting, some drugs, drinking...he said he just kept to himself, and he graduated early.

Edited to add: High School Diploma at 16?? He seems to be way ahead of the game really :-) If school isn't for him, get him to working. At this age, he could be management material in a couple years...even if he starts small. Also, volunteer work could lead to bigger and better things...If he pays back financial aid, he can go back to school when he is ready. So many options at this age...
Squint your eyes and look closer. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I am a poster girl with no poster. I am thirty-two flavors and then some. And I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might want to turn your head~Ani

I want to think again
of dangerous and noble things;
I want to be light and frolicsome;
I want to be improbable, beautiful
and afraid of nothing as if I had wings

Mary Oliver

Last edited by deedarino; 05-04-2012 at 07:42 AM.
deedarino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,138 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Many years ago, my nephew did Job Corps because he was always in trouble back then and didn't finish HS. He didn't last there because he was a follower and not a leader. It is full of troubled kids that some parents just don't want or know another way of dealing with them. I'm not saying that there aren't good kids there wanting to learn, just not the majority of them. For those that can stay out of trouble and do the work without following the troubled kids, it can be a great way to learn a trade or go on to a career.

As smart as your son is, I think appealing for another chance is what I'd do first before having to check out other options. Perhaps if given another chance, he'll realize that poor decisions will no longer be an option and the alternative can be worse.

Best of luck to him and you

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

((((Pajara)))))
Old 05-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks everybody for the input and kind words. He is a good kid.

And as to "second chances". This WAS his second chance. He had a 2.0 after the first semester and I made it abundantly clear that he needed to really buckle down. I guess it just wasn't important enough for him. I understand that, I did the same thing at 16. That's why I begged him not to screw up his GPA because you can seldom recover it.

I think he will work for a while. I may hold off on the JobCorps a month and see if he gets any interviews or anything. It's just sad, we try to help our kids have a better path than we had. *sigh*

Keep the suggestions coming if you think of anything.

THANKS!!!!!!
A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post: