Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,368 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I got observed this week, and I think it went fine. I haven't heard back yet. But that's always stressful. A student asked me what "fiscal policy" is and I hemmed and hawed. lol. But I got through the hour.

This week, one was having a bad day and literally howled in my classroom. Not howled crying, but howled like a wolf. Sigh.

Another kid burst into tears because of home problems. Sad. My response initially was, oh no, he'll never get that writing done now. Then I stopped and actually listened. But I feel so impatient about their progress.

On the good side, the kids are enjoying their arts and crafts. *sigh* Seriously though, I can't BELIEVE there was no art curriculum. I don't know "perspective" from moose droppings. So they are making cute things from materials I buy on sale and which my fellow teacher finds in her crafts closet. They are also doing reading assignments on artists and all that. But they do like to do things. So crafts it is. The best thing I got recently was actually a cigar box monster a student made. There is a huge foam mouth around the opening. He went out and bought his own material to cover it -- it's like a fake lizard skin. He used eye buttons. It looks like a real toy. Seriously cute. He came up with that himself. I basically gave him the box and some glue.

Actually the crafts have been going well because I don't have a clue. I hand them the materials and give them a sense of what I might do, and interesting things result.

Maybe they should just teach themselves. There might be less howling.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network