Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,130 Times in 6,413 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Reality TV & Gossip TV

Today, Greyson shared a news story about a woman who committed suicide after being involved in a prank call about Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge.

Duchess of Cambridge hoax call nurse found dead

The hospital said in a statement: "We can confirm that Jacintha was recently the victim of a hoax call to the hospital.

"She was an excellent nurse and well-respected and popular with all of her colleagues."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

I responded with

"I cannot even begin to express how incredibly angry this news story made me. This is the direct result of our society's unhealthy obsession with the lives of other people. We have NO RIGHT to personal information about anyone that they do not care to divulge.

And yet, two DJ's felt it necessary to pose as Royals to get information. From the sounds of this article, this nurse self-terminated because of this.

At what point do we humans get that it's not our right? I blame reality TV and gossip columnists of old for this mind set--this self-righteous sense of entitlement.

Yep. This truly pisses me off."

So I ask you. Do we have a right to condone reality tv/gossip tv/any of the shows that dig and scrabble in other people's lives? Where is the button that we need to switch OFF when it comes to our fascination with other people's lives?

I'm just sick about this. My own son loves all of the reality shows and lives on E! TV.

Our need to know killed Princess Diana. And now it just killed a mother of two. Who else gets to die because we won't turn the TV channel away from these crap shows or tune the radio to something else?

And don't kid yourselves. The gossip fools and reality tv show producers wouldn't be making money if we weren't watching. Ratings pay for advertisers.

I do watch certain types of reality shows but not the ones that want to air famous people's dirty laundry (or clean).

Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:

Tags
gossip tv, killers, murder, reality tv, talk radio