Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
dykeumentary
Member

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 449
Thanks: 341
Thanked 1,548 Times in 359 Posts
Rep Power: 19160664
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation
Default

I think the term "politically correct" is a rare instance in our Orwellian Newspeak World that means what it says.

Also, I appreciate when people say what they really think and don't cover it with language that disguises it- on the political right or the political left.

Can you imagine if Trump was leading the election, but we didn't know what he really thought?!!

For me, political correctness means that a person or group pays enough attention to know what the prevailing progressive sentiment about a charged issue is, and then uses language that SEEMS to support that progressive thinking -- REGARDLESS of if the language is backed up by actions. It's just words.

No one would say Angela Davis is being politically correct about prison abolition. But one could argue that the HRC is just being politically correct when they SAY they "support trans people" when the HRC is not leading the fight against putting trans people in the wrong prison (and prisons generally) from their big shiny office in DC.

Political correctness can mask dangerous action. A person who cares about humanity wouldn't just rely on language to do the hard work of social change.
__________________
The Origins of Butch & Femme (a retelling): https://youtu.be/U7VkXpZl4Mk
Watch more of my funny butch/femme movies here:
https://www.youtube.com/dykeumentary1
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Andrea
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene
 
Andrea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,755
Thanks: 15,427
Thanked 14,917 Times in 3,020 Posts
Rep Power: 21474850
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Political correction means, to me, that we watch the words we use in order to avoid offending or harming others.

Those people that dislike (hate) being PC are the people that really don't care about offending others and therefore have to work at being PC. It is much easier for them to be their hateful or disinterested selves.

Those that care about whether or not others are harmed by our words have little need to consider the PC label because they are already seeking ways to 'do no harm' and ways to learn how their words and/or actions affect others.

Political correctness, to me, boils down to being a humane.
__________________
I am very spoiled!

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Cin
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply
 
2 Highscores

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In My Head
Posts: 2,817
Thanks: 6,333
Thanked 10,401 Times in 2,479 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Political correction means, to me, that we watch the words we use in order to avoid offending or harming others.

Those people that dislike (hate) being PC are the people that really don't care about offending others and therefore have to work at being PC. It is much easier for them to be their hateful or disinterested selves.

Those that care about whether or not others are harmed by our words have little need to consider the PC label because they are already seeking ways to 'do no harm' and ways to learn how their words and/or actions affect others.

Political correctness, to me, boils down to being a humane.
I'm sure that is true of some. And it might be the whole of it for all I know.

But sometimes I wonder if there is some kind of disconnect in the definition of what it means to be PC. Some way that it really turns people off. I read a debate with a poll on a website that asked the question "Do you believe people spend too much time trying to be politically correct?" and the result was 90% to 10% that, yes, we do spend too much time. When I saw the percentage of people feeling that way was that high, I began to wonder what I was missing. I also began to think that maybe Donald Trump is smarter than I imagined. If he took the time to look into how much people are craving someone to just say the hell with being PC, he would have discovered how popular a position it would be. He can say whatever the hell he wants while remaining popular, yet still seeming to not care about that. He can say whatever crazy thing comes into his head and other people's little feelers be damned.

I know I have struggled with not understanding why some people feel so constrained by taking a little time to say something in a kinder, more considerate manner. I don't feel like there is anything I want to say that can be adversely affected by my not saying it meanly.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I feel like there's some key piece I haven't been able to locate. I mean 90% of people. I know it was just one website and one poll, but still, that's quite decisive.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
dykeumentary
Member

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 449
Thanks: 341
Thanked 1,548 Times in 359 Posts
Rep Power: 19160664
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
I'm sure that is true of some. And it might be the whole of it for all I know.

But sometimes I wonder if there is some kind of disconnect in the definition of what it means to be PC. Some way that it really turns people off. I read a debate with a poll on a website that asked the question "Do you believe people spend too much time trying to be politically correct?" and the result was 90% to 10% that, yes, we do spend too much time. When I saw the percentage of people feeling that way was that high, I began to wonder what I was missing. I also began to think that maybe Donald Trump is smarter than I imagined. *snip*

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I feel like there's some key piece I haven't been able to locate. I mean 90% of people. I know it was just one website and one poll, but still, that's quite decisive.
I'm not disagreeing-- just adding that I wonder what te racial/class composition of the survey respondents was. I think the thing the US doesn't want to say with words is that if someone isn't white, they aren't welcome. And should leave. And die.

The resentment of "acting PC" is their another way of saying DAMN FOREIGNERS. Trump is reaching the white working class voters who feel that something has been taken from them by Black people, Mexicans and now Muslims. Trump promises to clean up America and give them back their dignity, and Brot Und Arbeit. As I think most people in this thread sing along... "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Bavaria In the 1930s..." I fear the discussion about the value of PCorrectness distracts from the pressing conversation about white supremacy that needs to be happening.

Racism. Xenophobia. Humans are so easily led down hateful paths by their fear and those who prey on it.
__________________
The Origins of Butch & Femme (a retelling): https://youtu.be/U7VkXpZl4Mk
Watch more of my funny butch/femme movies here:
https://www.youtube.com/dykeumentary1
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Cin
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply
 
2 Highscores

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In My Head
Posts: 2,817
Thanks: 6,333
Thanked 10,401 Times in 2,479 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
I'm not disagreeing-- just adding that I wonder what te racial/class composition of the survey respondents was. I think the thing the US doesn't want to say with words is that if someone isn't white, they aren't welcome. And should leave. And die.

The resentment of "acting PC" is their another way of saying DAMN FOREIGNERS. Trump is reaching the white working class voters who feel that something has been taken from them by Black people, Mexicans and now Muslims. Trump promises to clean up America and give them back their dignity, and Brot Und Arbeit. As I think most people in this thread sing along... "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Bavaria In the 1930s..." I fear the discussion about the value of PCorrectness distracts from the pressing conversation about white supremacy that needs to be happening.

Racism. Xenophobia. Humans are so easily led down hateful paths by their fear and those who prey on it.
Another excellent point. I was looking at a different poll that shows people in the US are feeling like they don't recognize their country any longer. I am sure that is exactly what they meant. Everyone doesn't look like me. And I would hate to take away from the really important conversation we should be having about white supremacy/racism and xenophobia. This conversation might be too much of a distraction with all the loopholes for hating inherent in it. Let's have at it. Make a thread and I'll be there.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Cin
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply
 
2 Highscores

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In My Head
Posts: 2,817
Thanks: 6,333
Thanked 10,401 Times in 2,479 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
I think the term "politically correct" is a rare instance in our Orwellian Newspeak World that means what it says.

Also, I appreciate when people say what they really think and don't cover it with language that disguises it- on the political right or the political left.

Can you imagine if Trump was leading the election, but we didn't know what he really thought?!!

For me, political correctness means that a person or group pays enough attention to know what the prevailing progressive sentiment about a charged issue is, and then uses language that SEEMS to support that progressive thinking -- REGARDLESS of if the language is backed up by actions. It's just words.

No one would say Angela Davis is being politically correct about prison abolition. But one could argue that the HRC is just being politically correct when they SAY they "support trans people" when the HRC is not leading the fight against putting trans people in the wrong prison (and prisons generally) from their big shiny office in DC.

Political correctness can mask dangerous action. A person who cares about humanity wouldn't just rely on language to do the hard work of social change.
I really enjoyed reading your post. And I do agree.

I certainly agree that political correctness is not a substitute for activism. A person who cares about working for social change would not rely solely on political correct speak. However, I also think that some people, not necessarily the HRC, but individual activists for example, have only so much time and energy to devote and sometimes have to settle on one or maybe two specific issues that are the most important personally and work toward change from there. They could possibly find themselves in the position of holding the prevailing progressive sentiment about a charged issue and using language that seems to support that thinking but not be in the position of backing it up with feet on the street or anything really but solidarity using words and helpful actions when the opportunities present.

As far as Donald Trump and what he really thinks, well, I believe we tend to see comments and actions that are rather unexpected or are the opposite of what we imagined as being more likely to be true. Like if we have nothing to gain from saying something then it must be truth. For example if you are applying for a job as a cashier in a convenience store and the person interviewing asks you how you feel about taking things from your place of employment and you say you would never steal the person isn't terribly convinced that you are telling the truth because the answer is seen as self serving. But if you were to say that you might take home a pen or some paper the interviewer would believe you were telling the truth because it is not the answer they expected and does not seem self serving. Trump is seen as someone who tells it like it is. He may say some things that people might be taken aback by but at least he tells the truth and doesn't waffle. Or so it seems. But in reality he flip flops as much as the next politician, actually even more. He has changed his mind so much since throwing his hat in the ring, I'm starting to believe he never had any idea what his platform was going to be about and is making it up on the fly. Other than being abrasive I'm not sure what is real and what is bullshit. He changed his mind about abortion, he changed his mind about the rich paying more taxes, he changed his mind about identifying as a democrat. For all his political incorrectness and his so called honesty, I find it hard to believe a word he says. But I get the allure of someone saying something that doesn't seem to be self serving and imaging that no matter how repulsive at least they are being honest. I'm just not sure it's true.

But there is no doubt that political correctness can mask dangerous actions.

Also in reality changing language to change minds is not terribly effective. It is probably even less effective than changing laws is to promote social change. You can't legislate a change in people's hearts nor can you change words and expect to change minds. But I still advocate trying.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.


ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018