Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Legendryder
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single
 
Legendryder's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queen City, MO
Posts: 420
Thanks: 14
Thanked 969 Times in 261 Posts
Rep Power: 7270132
Legendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofQueens View Post
With all due respect, Dean, cruelty should never be tolerated. It should especially not ever be tolerated in the form of sexism and misogyny, especially not within the context of a queer website created by female bodied people. The link Morningstar posted is a subtle expression of violence toward women, which is what makes it unacceptable.

I know that Morningstar is a kind person who would not intentionally promote cruelty or perpetuate this type of damaging, sexist imagery. The problem with what she posted, is that women worldwide are still dehumanized and their bodies treated as objects every single day. Our only value, in many places, is measured only as a sexual object. The type of image that Morningstar linked to perpetuates this cycle and has no place in an equitable space that values women.

When we look at a picture that truncates a woman's head from her torso, she becomes nothing more than an object existing to facilitate the sexual pleasure of the dominant culture. She is, in essence disposable. We don't even think about her parts as belonging to a real, whole, human being when we see it, because it's all we see.

It's easy to giggle at silly shit in a superficial way without ever taking a minute to read a little deeper into its meaning. It's easy, but it doesn't change the very grim reality that so many women face every day, nor does it eradicate the deeply entrenched sexism and misogyny we've all been raised with.

Just take a minute to really think about what you're putting out there and who it might hurt. It will ultimately make all the difference in the world.

Respectfully,

QoQ
Now this is the way to explain it. Thank you for your subtle and kind words.
Legendryder is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
QueenofQueens
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Seerauber, Centaurita Bonita, QoQonut, Volupté Suprême
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lux, Ms. Lisbon if you're nasty.
Relationship Status:
Left of Centaur and blissfully betrothed.
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Happily swooning by the big, blue sea.
Posts: 171
Thanks: 50
Thanked 375 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 0
QueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendryder View Post
Now this is the way to explain it. Thank you for your subtle and kind words.

I think it's an important part of being a community member to be able to call each other out on our mistakes in a way that is respectful, and allows us to be human and grow.
No one should be vilified because there are things they need to learn. We all have things we need to learn and that will only happen if we respect each other enough to give a heads up when it's called for.

It's one way to have each others backs.

Last edited by QueenofQueens; 11-22-2009 at 06:39 PM.
QueenofQueens is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to QueenofQueens For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Legendryder
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single
 
Legendryder's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queen City, MO
Posts: 420
Thanks: 14
Thanked 969 Times in 261 Posts
Rep Power: 7270132
Legendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST Reputation
Default

I agree with you, totally. I would say something mildly intelligent, however, I got my brain melted today. My goofy butt picked "Does Media in the Courtroom Effect 6th Amendment Rights" as an expository essay topic. I couldn't have picked the 14th Amendment, no......I had to pick the least relevant one. So, finding resorces to cite was like pulling teeth out of a horse. Took me eight hours to write a 500 word paper. So, I be fried.
Legendryder is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
WILDCAT
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 679
Thanks: 796
Thanked 551 Times in 238 Posts
Rep Power: 761792
WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Default Shoot!

I just deleted a post I had written, by bumping something...?! Darn it!

In a nutshell, I DON'T care for that "beating a dead horse" emoticon - at all. And I'm personally glad there are programs/organizations for protecting animals against abuse, just sayin'...

Just goes to show ya, where we are all at different places in our realities with varying values and such... (and I think I have a pretty good sense of humor too).
___

And I also wrote that with ALL that has been hashed out in previous "community" sites on this type of topic or "issue of concern" over so many years, I would hope that a BRAND NEW SITE nips the sexist, anti-woman shit right away! Unfortunately, it will probably be an ongoing struggle though. Folks do need to speak out, or we just won't be as special as we truly know that we are. I'm proud to be queer.

It has all been so hurtful to so many - for WAY TOO LONG NOW. Is it worth a "laugh", that causes so much pain? And why would anyone be acting/feeling challenged here to anyone standing up against this? (Women feeling hurt, or someone thinking/believing something is uncomfortable for them to see or if it feels misogynist to them, that is.) What kind of energy is that to put out here, or anywhere? I don't understand that, really (?)

This site WAS started by two women, inviting everyone to join. How considerate.

Now, the link was not showing a rape, but yes to women as simply a piece of ass. That is where the atrocities against women are continually encouraged, with beginning disregard for being a human being at all, and often utilizing humor to get this message out "non-offensively"... (?) I didn't laugh at it, but can see how someone might find it humorous, the "joke" hypnotizing part of it... but, then where and why did we develop to finding this funny? That is what folks are asking others to consider and really think about here, IMHO. What perpetuates this mentality?

One way of thinking does lead to women being hurt, to varying degrees. It really does. Some ways are very "subtle". Is the blatant the only thing that needs to be addressed?

I don't want to support that, which is against me - and especially not in our community. I find it very sad actually.

And yes, this is just a "fun and fluff" thread. Passing a joke about is not the same as opening a thread - that is for the world now historically representing (NOT!) what the founders of this site are trying/hoping/wishing to send as a positive message in our community and to the world at large - or showing us "going at it" with each other over these kinds of demeaning against women topics. And for us also to have a respectful place, to and for ourselves. Feel safe. Comfort. Home away from home...

Plus, I believe if any part of our community is "hurt" we all suffer - in so many different ways. It diminishes us as a whole for one, that is for certain. We should be strong for having suffered, and this just further weakens us (again in my humble opinion). It's like throwing our own, to the "bad guys". How pleasant.

I truly hope some folks don't think new site = green light to come and be "piggish" and/or disregard people's feelings. That is so OLD. Changes should bring about new opportunities for growth and understanding, I would hope so anyway. (And this is not about the opening poster at all! Just my response about reactions and concerns folks have - which I completely understand, support and agree with.)

And I can see why some "butches" would also take offense to this on another level as well.

So, it's about sensitivity and "representing" mostly to me here at this point...(?)

Hope this made any sense. Good luck everyone!


PEACE!
Wildcat

WILDCAT is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 PM.


ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018