Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Waldo
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wine Country, Oregon
Posts: 470
Thanks: 22
Thanked 792 Times in 238 Posts
Rep Power: 1006289
Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLeo View Post
I do love to read/learn/process/discuss
I can vouch for that.

My read? It's complicated.

Let's not assume what people are talking about. Let's inquire. "when you say X do you mean Y?" goes a long way toward more understanding on both sides of a discussion. Unless someone is being clearly dismissive and down right ignorant when using labels I choose to believe they mean well and they have a different take on the issue than I do.

Me? I am a woman. I don't separate woman from female. I know others do. Cool. Respected. I'm not attempting to disrespect when I say something about butch women. I'm just lucky to get pronouns right these days. Don't ask me to keep track of whether you separate gender for sex and what you refer to your naughty bits as. Please and thank you.
__________________
Perved lately? | My website | NEW: lez.org
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Waldo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Bit
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,177
Thanks: 1,126
Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,264 Posts
Rep Power: 10778871
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Let's not assume what people are talking about. Let's inquire. "when you say X do you mean Y?" goes a long way toward more understanding on both sides of a discussion. Unless someone is being clearly dismissive and down right ignorant when using labels I choose to believe they mean well and they have a different take on the issue than I do.
YES. This. I believe that if we could routinely do this: "I choose to believe they mean well and they have a different take on the issue than I do." then the conflicts would stop.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged
 
SassyLeo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The PDX
Posts: 1,526
Thanks: 846
Thanked 1,577 Times in 620 Posts
Rep Power: 856203
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I can vouch for that.

My read? It's complicated.

Let's not assume what people are talking about. Let's inquire. "when you say X do you mean Y?" goes a long way toward more understanding on both sides of a discussion. Unless someone is being clearly dismissive and down right ignorant when using labels I choose to believe they mean well and they have a different take on the issue than I do.

Me? I am a woman. I don't separate woman from female. I know others do. Cool. Respected. I'm not attempting to disrespect when I say something about butch women. I'm just lucky to get pronouns right these days. Don't ask me to keep track of whether you separate gender for sex and what you refer to your naughty bits as. Please and thank you.
I think there is an expectation that we do "keep track". I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but there have been comments in other threads about people not using the right pronoun and it is perceived as being disrespectful because one cannot remember which the person prefers.
__________________
Joy is the best makeup
-Anne Lamott
SassyLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 PM.


ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018