Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
 
DapperButch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 26,545
Thanked 26,807 Times in 5,771 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post

If a state is not going to allow laws protecting trans people as far as which bathroom they can use, then it at least needs to address the issue of...which fucking bathroom is it safe to use? Make more gender neutral washrooms if you're not going to protect people's basic right to use a washroom. This could have just as well have happened had this woman tried to use the men's bathroom. What is she supposed to do?
Unfortunately, in Maryland, the answer is "be the male you are and use the men's room And look like a guy if you don't want to get beat up there."
__________________
-Dapper

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: i have 2 sets of geographic coordinates!!!
Posts: 6,097
Thanks: 26,797
Thanked 12,547 Times in 2,992 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Red face petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/dema...-a-trans-woman
__________________
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Dreams
In memory of

How Do You Identify?:
self proclaimed ruler of nekid monday's
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you..
Relationship Status:
busy..
 
Dreams's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: over there~~>
Posts: 398
Thanks: 712
Thanked 802 Times in 255 Posts
Rep Power: 10433811
Dreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST Reputation
Default

http://www.change.org/petitions/dema...-a-trans-woman

please consider signing..
__________________
DREAMS....

It is good to have an end to journey towards,
but it is the journey that matters in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dreams For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
EnderD_503
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship
 
EnderD_503's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 4,090
Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,023 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Unfortunately, in Maryland, the answer is "be the male you are and use the men's room And look like a guy if you don't want to get beat up there."
I truly hope this events helps open their eyes. I want to see how this case unfolds, because surely they cannot dimiss this. They surely can't deny that this was an assault inspired by hatred or that something needs to be done to protect trans people.

@weatherboi and Dreams, thanks for linking us to the petition. I've signed it and passed it on. I hope everyone does the same!
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
 
DapperButch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 26,545
Thanked 26,807 Times in 5,771 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Unfortunately, in Maryland, the answer is "be the male you are and use the men's room And look like a guy if you don't want to get beat up there."
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
I truly hope this events helps open their eyes. I want to see how this case unfolds, because surely they cannot dimiss this. They surely can't deny that this was an assault inspired by hatred or that something needs to be done to protect trans people.

@weatherboi and Dreams, thanks for linking us to the petition. I've signed it and passed it on. I hope everyone does the same!

That would certainly be fantastic, Ender, but I don't hold out much hope.

This just happened in February in Baltimore:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...ruggled_f.html
__________________
-Dapper

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
EnderD_503
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship
 
EnderD_503's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 4,090
Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,023 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
That would certainly be fantastic, Ender, but I don't hold out much hope.

This just happened in February in Baltimore:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...ruggled_f.html
Thanks for sharing the article, Dapper. This happens far too often. One thing that I hoped would spark change in this case is that it was caught on tape and happened in front of a number of witnesses who did nothing. I don't know why I thought that would make a difference, but I thought if they could actually see the brutality many transwomen face for themselves they would finally understand how badly transfolks need legal protection.

One thing I noticed with the article about Tyra as well as Crissy (and in articles on other transwomen who have been beaten or murdered) is that the reporters always see fit to include criminal records that include prostitution as well as charges related to poverty and prostitution. Why is this relevant to their deaths? Are the reporters implying that it is relevant? The sad reality for many transwomen is that their circumstances force them into sex work that often puts them in situations where they might suffer even more abuse. Those writing about their abuse and/or murder should take that into consideration when they start revealing these things to the public.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA & AZ I'm a Snowbird
Posts: 5,408
Thanks: 11,826
Thanked 10,827 Times in 3,199 Posts
Rep Power: 21474858
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Thanks for sharing the article, Dapper. This happens far too often. One thing that I hoped would spark change in this case is that it was caught on tape and happened in front of a number of witnesses who did nothing. I don't know why I thought that would make a difference, but I thought if they could actually see the brutality many transwomen face for themselves they would finally understand how badly transfolks need legal protection.

One thing I noticed with the article about Tyra as well as Crissy (and in articles on other transwomen who have been beaten or murdered) is that the reporters always see fit to include criminal records that include prostitution as well as charges related to poverty and prostitution. Why is this relevant to their deaths? Are the reporters implying that it is relevant? The sad reality for many transwomen is that their circumstances force them into sex work that often puts them in situations where they might suffer even more abuse. Those writing about their abuse and/or murder should take that into consideration when they start revealing these things to the public.
This has been the case for women in general forever. Transwomen are certainly among the highest populations to be assaulted and killed within gender variant groups, yet, so much comes down to misogyny.

I am also thinking about transmen that have been assaulted because they arn't real men.

As the season of many Pride events is upon us, I hope there is more awareness of these kinds of hate crimes promoted. We all need to make a lot more noise about these crimes.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
EnderD_503
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship
 
EnderD_503's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 4,090
Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,023 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation
Default

A lot of ridiculous shit is being said in the media now. The article below is picking up on a trend in some media sources and blogs talking about this being a "racially motivated" hate crime. I am literally fuming right now and here is why (and posted this in the comments in site below as well):

a) calling this anything else than transphobia and even neglecting to call it transphobia (ie. "racially motivated") seems like they are covering up the severity and brutal reality of transphobia. b) it attempts to pit marginalized group against marginalized group instead of looking at it as cisgender women (or in other cases, cis people in general) assaulting a trans person solely because they are trans.

When is mainstream society going to take a good hard look at transphobia? It doesn't help that half of them don't even know what being transgender means. Homophobia is a term recognised in the mainstream, and I wish transphobia carried the same status as far as awareness of existence. The lack of awareness renders many transfolks invisible in these cases.

http://www.bilerico.com/2011/04/mcdo...ied_camera.php

But I am heartened by the fact that the petition going around has jumped from 4000 to 10,000 signatures in a matter of hours. When I read the comments on the petition I am both heartened and made aware of how much work there is to be done in educating people. I'm glad that many are appalled by the violence this transwoman faced at the hands of those two girls. But many seem to think transwoman = gay man in stereotypical female clothing. That needs to change. Their heart seems to be in the right place though.

Also, the "cameraman" has been fired, which I'm happy to hear. I think he should face charges, though, considering he was egging the girls on, telling them to leave before the police came and generally acting like this woman deserved to be assaulted.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Daywalker
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: *
Posts: 3,750
Thanks: 6,499
Thanked 11,916 Times in 2,700 Posts
Rep Power: 21474856
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
A lot of ridiculous shit is being said in the media now. The article below is picking up on a trend in some media sources and blogs talking about this being a "racially motivated" hate crime. I am literally fuming right now and here is why (and posted this in the comments in site below as well):

a) calling this anything else than transphobia and even neglecting to call it transphobia (ie. "racially motivated") seems like they are covering up the severity and brutal reality of transphobia. b) it attempts to pit marginalized group against marginalized group instead of looking at it as cisgender women (or in other cases, cis people in general) assaulting a trans person solely because they are trans.

When is mainstream society going to take a good hard look at transphobia? It doesn't help that half of them don't even know what being transgender means. Homophobia is a term recognised in the mainstream, and I wish transphobia carried the same status as far as awareness of existence. The lack of awareness renders many transfolks invisible in these cases.

http://www.bilerico.com/2011/04/mcdo...ied_camera.php

But I am heartened by the fact that the petition going around has jumped from 4000 to 10,000 signatures in a matter of hours. When I read the comments on the petition I am both heartened and made aware of how much work there is to be done in educating people. I'm glad that many are appalled by the violence this transwoman faced at the hands of those two girls. But many seem to think transwoman = gay man in stereotypical female clothing. That needs to change. Their heart seems to be in the right place though.

Also, the "cameraman" has been fired, which I'm happy to hear. I think he should face charges, though, considering he was egging the girls on, telling them to leave before the police came and generally acting like this woman deserved to be assaulted.
And I don't want to simplify this in the least ~ but my thought is, if I was
looking for racially motivated in this crime, it would quickly occur to me
that the woman who stepped in did not share the same race as the
attackers ~ which seems to me, she too would have sustained
an attack as well, especially since she was the
only one who had the lions heart to
roar back in the whole place.



__________________
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daywalker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
 
DapperButch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 26,545
Thanked 26,807 Times in 5,771 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
A lot of ridiculous shit is being said in the media now. The article below is picking up on a trend in some media sources and blogs talking about this being a "racially motivated" hate crime. I am literally fuming right now and here is why (and posted this in the comments in site below as well):

a) calling this anything else than transphobia and even neglecting to call it transphobia (ie. "racially motivated") seems like they are covering up the severity and brutal reality of transphobia. b) it attempts to pit marginalized group against marginalized group instead of looking at it as cisgender women (or in other cases, cis people in general) assaulting a trans person solely because they are trans.

When is mainstream society going to take a good hard look at transphobia? It doesn't help that half of them don't even know what being transgender means. Homophobia is a term recognised in the mainstream, and I wish transphobia carried the same status as far as awareness of existence. The lack of awareness renders many transfolks invisible in these cases.

http://www.bilerico.com/2011/04/mcdo...ied_camera.php

*SNIP*
Ender, I appreciate you posting updates as they came in.

I noticed in the first article the police said they would "upgrade" (my quotes), it to a hate crime if they found it to be racially motivated. It was said right on the heels of Equality Maryland speaking out (about her being trans...which DOESN'T relate...I remember thinking it strange that they put it in the same paragraph as Equality MD's statement).

In the State of MD hate crimes do not include gender identity. It does include race.

If upgraded to a hate crime the penalities are more severe. I would wonder that if it is upgraded, what is the police's motivation/reason for doing so?

1) because they want the suspects to get a stiffer sentence b/c they care about transpeople?

2) because the people in charge of making that decision are of a different race than African-American and are fueled by there own racism?

3) because it makes the police/state look good to apply the hate crime law?

4) because the police force/state gets something material out of calling it a hate crime (government money, other "bonuses"?)?

Don't know, but I doubt it is number one...
__________________
-Dapper

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.


ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018