Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
betenoire
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married
 
betenoire's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Chemical Valley
Posts: 4,086
Thanks: 3,312
Thanked 8,740 Times in 2,566 Posts
Rep Power: 21474857
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhearted View Post
FYI, not all Canadians are happy about being her "Majesty's" subject...
Well of course not. I'm sure that nobody thought that 100% of Canadians were 100% in favour of the Monarchy.

I, personally, am from the "I don't really give a shit, since it's just symbolic and the existence of the Monarchy in absolutely no way effects Canada either way" camp (unless the Queen or the Governor General have been refusing to sign bills into law that they don't like and I am not aware of it - which I highly doubt.)

It's part of what makes Canada. Our ties to GB is likely one of the things that made Canada go in one direction (we prefer evolutionary change of how things are done) while the US has a history that favours more revolution. We would likely be a different country than the one we turned out to be - and I like the country we are.
__________________
bête noire \bet-NWAHR\, noun: One that is particularly disliked or that is to be avoided.
betenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to betenoire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl
 
dreadgeek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lat: 45.60 Lon: -122.60
Posts: 1,733
Thanks: 1,132
Thanked 6,841 Times in 1,493 Posts
Rep Power: 21474853
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Well of course not. I'm sure that nobody thought that 100% of Canadians were 100% in favour of the Monarchy.

I, personally, am from the "I don't really give a shit, since it's just symbolic and the existence of the Monarchy in absolutely no way effects Canada either way" camp (unless the Queen or the Governor General have been refusing to sign bills into law that they don't like and I am not aware of it - which I highly doubt.)

It's part of what makes Canada. Our ties to GB is likely one of the things that made Canada go in one direction (we prefer evolutionary change of how things are done) while the US has a history that favours more revolution. We would likely be a different country than the one we turned out to be - and I like the country we are.
Honestly, at this point in American history I wish we'd waited to throw off the chains of colonial oppression at the hands of His Majesty's government. Slavery would have ended earlier (Britain outlawed it in the early 19th century). We'd probably be a lot less violent. I'm not saying that England or the English are the One True People but I really wish we were a bit *more* like our Canadian and English cultural cousins. Staying apart of the British Empire until the latter part of the 19th century or the early part of the 20th (maybe after WW II which we would have gotten into earlier if we were still under the Crown in 1939) would have done America a great deal of cultural good.

Cheers
Aj
__________________
Proud member of the reality-based community.

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
betenoire
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married
 
betenoire's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Chemical Valley
Posts: 4,086
Thanks: 3,312
Thanked 8,740 Times in 2,566 Posts
Rep Power: 21474857
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
With all that I whole good, true and sacred I wish it weren't this way but it is.
People suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
Honestly, at this point in American history I wish we'd waited to throw off the chains of colonial oppression at the hands of His Majesty's government. Slavery would have ended earlier (Britain outlawed it in the early 19th century). We'd probably be a lot less violent. I'm not saying that England or the English are the One True People but I really wish we were a bit *more* like our Canadian and English cultural cousins. Staying apart of the British Empire until the latter part of the 19th century or the early part of the 20th (maybe after WW II which we would have gotten into earlier if we were still under the Crown in 1939) would have done America a great deal of cultural good.

Cheers
Aj
Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

I do think that part of our leg up on you is our French population. Being a country that was formed basically by merging some French settlements with English settlements - we had to learn early on to compromise and work towards solutions that are for the greater good for the whole. We're kind of a country that was FORMED on the principle of give and take, you know?

ETA - and if you all had stuck it out until after WWII then it would have saved you guys from getting DC burned down and us from getting Toronto burned down. Thanks a lot.
__________________
bête noire \bet-NWAHR\, noun: One that is particularly disliked or that is to be avoided.
betenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to betenoire For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 PM.


ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018