Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 1,458
Thanks: 807
Thanked 3,774 Times in 958 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
I get what you are saying--completely.
--------

However, imagine you or guys like you in that class (in the article) where the teacher is enforcing these rules of etiquette based on someone's gender. Or maybe your post was in no relation to the article from Feministing? At any rate, I am pretty ticked at this classroom enforcement of manners based on gender.

I imagine the butch or trans kids feeling very uncomfortable with these sort of expectations of behaviour based on someone's perceived gender.

I don't think it is up to teachers to explain what is appropriate manners/behaviour based on gender. He/she should be instilling politeness/respect for all but not these forms of etiquette that are gender stratified. I can imagine some very uncomfortable and even humiliated children who would be mortified if they had to accept these forms/codes of behaviour when they do not identify with the gender that is recognized by their peers or teacher.

That is but one of my objections to this little exercise of this Latin teacher of Arizona.

I was writing more in response to Apocalipstic.

I have many relatives, including a sister, who is a teacher. Any of them will tell you that their job includes many things, including teaching kids manners.

I was attempting to say that that good manners are important to me, and I employ them naturally. I don't agree with what this particular teacher is doing either. Kids should learn manners at home, from parents, grandparents or whomever they are raised by.

Jake
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,896
Thanks: 29,046
Thanked 13,092 Times in 3,386 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I was writing more in response to Apocalipstic.

I have many relatives, including a sister, who is a teacher. Any of them will tell you that their job includes many things, including teaching kids manners.

I was attempting to say that that good manners are important to me, and I employ them naturally. I don't agree with what this particular teacher is doing either. Kids should learn manners at home, from parents, grandparents or whomever they are raised by.

Jake
Thanks for clarifying; I realized when I finished my post maybe it wasn't directed as a response to the article. Oh, and I agree manners can and should be taught at home--I also think they can be taught at school too (as in respect for all people), but I would hate for them to be taught in way like...boys do this...and girls do this kinda way. I still remember being told how a lady sits and what she does and doesn't do...it felt very rigid and even shaming at certain points.

-----------
Getting back to the OP's question of what constitutes masculinity for me?
I still can't definitively answer that--but I know it when I feel it and it's hot and works for me.

It is a combination of behaviour and appearance...but I can't list the exact attributes. Do I feel the protector/protected thing (now)? Yes, I do but I didn't feel that with my male partners in the past; interestingly enough, I felt I was the stronger one in the relationship. I also feel more comfortable with being the (lucky) recipient of certain behaviours than I ever have before. Weird, eh?

I'll think on it some more.

Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself
 
Apocalipstic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,266
Thanks: 17,195
Thanked 11,358 Times in 2,838 Posts
Rep Power: 21474857
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
Thanks for clarifying; I realized when I finished my post maybe it wasn't directed as a response to the article. Oh, and I agree manners can and should be taught at home--I also think they can be taught at school too (as in respect for all people), but I would hate for them to be taught in way like...boys do this...and girls do this kinda way. I still remember being told how a lady sits and what she does and doesn't do...it felt very rigid and even shaming at certain points.


Getting back to the OP's question of what constitutes masculinity for me?
I still can't definitively answer that--but I know it when I feel it and it's hot and works for me.

It is a combination of behaviour and appearance...but I can't list the exact attributes. Do I feel the protector/protected thing (now)? Yes, I do but I didn't feel that with my male partners in the past; interestingly enough, I felt I was the stronger one in the relationship. I also feel more comfortable with being the (lucky) recipient of certain behaviours than I ever have before. Weird, eh?

I'll think on it some more.


I think you put a finger on my problem....the whole "a lady acts this or that way" and yes I found it very shaming growing up.
__________________
Apocalipstic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apocalipstic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 1,458
Thanks: 807
Thanked 3,774 Times in 958 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Many women tell me I have masculine energy, masculine behaviors, masculine traits.

I don't argue. I embrace that about myself. That's me, you know?

In fact, everything society associates with feminine is a completely foreign thing to me. Some of my straight guy friends will come to me to explain women to them, and I say to them, "I have no idea, man. I am as mystified as you sometimes." But that's all part of the allure to me...I like being mystified.

Jake
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA & AZ I'm a Snowbird
Posts: 5,408
Thanks: 11,826
Thanked 10,827 Times in 3,199 Posts
Rep Power: 21474858
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default

What is masculine for me is rooted in the feminine.... can't have one without the other. I just don't accept a male-female dichotomy and am so tired of traditional, patriarchal ideas of what is masculine or male... and female or feminine.

Butch as continually defined in the masculine is very limiting and quite gender ignorant to me. Constraining as well and a perpetuation of sexist ideology. If we are going to move beyond the binary, we need to stop this crap.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married
 
Corkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Where I want to be
Posts: 8,155
Thanks: 47,491
Thanked 29,268 Times in 6,637 Posts
Rep Power: 21474860
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Some people are perfectly happy just the way they are, without anyone else trying to figure out who they are.
Allowing people to be who they are is what living in harmony with others is about.
Folks don't get to decide for others who and how they ID, what makes them tick or how they wear their britches.
Be yourself, and have the common courtesy to let others do the same.
This dichotomy of gender isn't who I am nor how I live my life. I am a Human Being, not a label!
My .02 on this worn out subject.
__________________
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Liam
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
 
Liam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 2,269
Thanks: 14,865
Thanked 6,873 Times in 1,859 Posts
Rep Power: 21474855
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
What is masculine for me is rooted in the feminine.... can't have one without the other. I just don't accept a male-female dichotomy and am so tired of traditional, patriarchal ideas of what is masculine or male... and female or feminine.

Butch as continually defined in the masculine is very limiting and quite gender ignorant to me. Constraining as well and a perpetuation of sexist ideology. If we are going to move beyond the binary, we need to stop this crap.
I accept the fact that the binary doesn't work, for some, however, it works for me, and I find that I have a great deal of freedom in my masculinity. I don't find it to be a rigid construct, that dictates what I do or don't do, but one that I and other masculine people are shaping, minute by minute, day by day, with the choices that we make in our lives.

I embrace ways of being which are considered "traditional," for males, yet I am also sensitive, and capable of talking about my feelings. Discussing my feelings, was not something that came naturally to me, I worked very hard for many years to learn how to communicate with people, and even more years and hard work to learn how to identify and express my feelings.
__________________
<3
Love is weird.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA & AZ I'm a Snowbird
Posts: 5,408
Thanks: 11,826
Thanked 10,827 Times in 3,199 Posts
Rep Power: 21474858
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
I accept the fact that the binary doesn't work, for some, however, it works for me, and I find that I have a great deal of freedom in my masculinity. I don't find it to be a rigid construct, that dictates what I do or don't do, but one that I and other masculine people are shaping, minute by minute, day by day, with the choices that we make in our lives.

I embrace ways of being which are considered "traditional," for males, yet I am also sensitive, and capable of talking about my feelings. Discussing my feelings, was not something that came naturally to me, I worked very hard for many years to learn how to communicate with people, and even more years and hard work to learn how to identify and express my feelings.
What you are saying here is not at all like what is so often perpetuated about the masculine as traditional. You are able to express feelings and it sounds like, that even though this took some work, you value this.

I can get behind shaping new dimensions of masculinity, but when I read stereotypic, traditional patriarchal foundations of masculine being viewed as desirable, I just can't see much of a difference between old and new in terms of gender identification.

I certainly do understand feeling more free with integrating what is known about gender today. Actually, it is exactly this that adds to my own comfort in being a butch woman.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny
 
Dylan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Great State O'
Posts: 880
Thanks: 1,027
Thanked 1,838 Times in 500 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
What is masculine for me is rooted in the feminine.... can't have one without the other. I just don't accept a male-female dichotomy and am so tired of traditional, patriarchal ideas of what is masculine or male... and female or feminine.

Butch as continually defined in the masculine is very limiting and quite gender ignorant to me. Constraining as well and a perpetuation of sexist ideology. If we are going to move beyond the binary, we need to stop this crap.
I'm gonna be a little difficult here for a minute (shocking, I know).

And I'm not 'attacking' you...I'm gonna use the pronoun 'you', because you (personally) brought it up, but I'm also using 'you' in the general sense, because I've seen this same thing said a lot.

Ok, so you say, you don't accept the dichotomy of male-female. I get that.

However, then you also say, "What is masculine for me is rooted in the feminine.... can't have one without the other."

Ok, so here's where I'm gonna be difficult.

If there's no dichotomy, masculine wouldn't be rooted in feminine, and technically, One could have one without the other. I mean, if there's no dichotomy, either masculine or feminine could exist without the other or with another. We're so limited in language here, because we're not given a 'third option'. We're only given masculine/feminine. But, if we're NOT thinking in a dichotomy, then we're speaking in a spectrum (right?), ergo, One doesn't NEED one to have the other. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Also, I think a lot of 'traditional' ideas of masculine/feminine are born out of white, (predominately middle class), Western thinking. This was briefly touched on in the FIB butches thread on the other site.

On another note, while I revel in certain aspects of masculinity and femininity, I think when either are used as 'rules' to control people, I'm not down with that.


Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA & AZ I'm a Snowbird
Posts: 5,408
Thanks: 11,826
Thanked 10,827 Times in 3,199 Posts
Rep Power: 21474858
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I'm gonna be a little difficult here for a minute (shocking, I know).

And I'm not 'attacking' you...I'm gonna use the pronoun 'you', because you (personally) brought it up, but I'm also using 'you' in the general sense, because I've seen this same thing said a lot.

Ok, so you say, you don't accept the dichotomy of male-female. I get that.

However, then you also say, "What is masculine for me is rooted in the feminine.... can't have one without the other."

Ok, so here's where I'm gonna be difficult.

If there's no dichotomy, masculine wouldn't be rooted in feminine, and technically, One could have one without the other. I mean, if there's no dichotomy, either masculine or feminine could exist without the other or with another. We're so limited in language here, because we're not given a 'third option'. We're only given masculine/feminine. But, if we're NOT thinking in a dichotomy, then we're speaking in a spectrum (right?), ergo, One doesn't NEED one to have the other. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Also, I think a lot of 'traditional' ideas of masculine/feminine are born out of white, (predominately middle class), Western thinking. This was briefly touched on in the FIB butches thread on the other site.

On another note, while I revel in certain aspects of masculinity and femininity, I think when either are used as 'rules' to control people, I'm not down with that.


Dylan
I see your point here. I think my (just being personal, here) integration with masculinity & femininity is difficult for me to disconnect on many levels due to how i put it together for myself on a spiritual level (I know, eye-roll). But, yes, I see how my statement doesn't mesh the whole of all of this.

And I have had some more thoughts about this because what I really was reacting to is something I often do- when I see gender myths perpetuated by our own. I think I am also skewed in my thinking sometimes due to raising a male child as a masculine female in this society. A male child that did not fit well in the traditional sense of masculinity in this culture (the reverse of myself).

As I have said before, I am grateful for gender theories being examined more fully within my lifetime, but, I also see a lot of male-privilege continuing to be at the apex of gender identification and traditional social values.

There is something amiss with how someone that is socialized as female (and all of the negative that goes along with this in US culture) perceives what it is to be socialized as male, or be male. The US really has a gender-complex, I believe. Look at how many of us (butch, femme, and everyone one else) have some very significant grief about how we were not viewed positively because of the gender binary. On top of this, I think that many of us equate looking male (or more masculine) as being the same thing as how men are socialized in our society as men.. And this just isn't true. We do look at male socialization from a female socialized point of reference.

I have listened to conversations about this between my son (41 year old man) and TG men and had more than one light-bulb moment. Neither knows the differences, really. What they know are projections stemming from being socialized as male or female, just like everyone. Both (even with sensitivity and a genuine desire to understand ) assume what it is like to be treated as female or male from birth.. Neither, really knows. I don’t. My kid also doesn’t come from a traditional kind of upbringing, either which plays a part in this. Yes, he was subjected to a lot of the short-man negativity and as a dancer and not interested in traditional male-dominated sports, he took a lot of shit. Didn’t help that he grew up in a small red-neck town, either. Oh, and the fact that for most of his life, he has had a dyke mother wasn’t easy.

I personally find gender theory freeing myself, even as a butch woman. It has given me a lot of comfort and freed me from many internal conflicts.

But, I do get worked-up when I see the queer community continue to buy into things like men don’t know what women want. This isn’t a product of gender, it is a product of gender-role stereotyping and probably for some, a lack of interpersonal communication skills. It is the same for women and a product of socialization in the main (there are other factors that can be biophysiological).

For me, the perpetuation of gender myths (male & female via binary definitions and behavioral expectations) within a time that finally, gender is being viewed outside of the binary is very sad. Especially sad when this comes from the queer community. I really, honestly, wrestle with this. Also, it gets to me when the same myths are applied to femmes. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that femmes come in all types!

Something else that strikes me is that the transmen (and MtF's) in my life that I know well are feminists and academics. So, I don't believe I have a very accurate picture of the full range of transmen.. or MtF's, really. Although, my early experiences with childhood friends differs from this

Last edited by AtLast; 04-03-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: stuff
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:19 PM.


ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018