Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 12-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

I have never been a smoker. I have a friend that told me what she did to stop smoking. She said, instead of doing it cold turkey, allow yourself less and less over time. Of course it takes will power and determination, but it sounds like a good method. Buy a pack and leave 15 in the pack for a week or so. Then next pack take it down to 10 for a bit and so on. Good luck!!!!!!!!!
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrose View Post
I have never been a smoker. I have a friend that told me what she did to stop smoking. She said, instead of doing it cold turkey, allow yourself less and less over time. Of course it takes will power and determination, but it sounds like a good method. Buy a pack and leave 15 in the pack for a week or so. Then next pack take it down to 10 for a bit and so on. Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Diamondrose,

That is great advise.

I've done that many times, it just hasn't worked for me. I know for some people it can work but for someone (me) that has smoked for this many years and smokes a pack a day sometimes more sometimes less.
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck and you are indeed doing something very special for yourself!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,667 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappie View Post
What I've found is that with in those 3 Days is truly the hardest. I so agree with you Moonfemme. I was also told my a Doctor friend that the nicotine burst/attack last for 10 minutes till you have another nicotine burst. I have had major anxiety every time I quit. Thus making me bounce off the walls and can not concentrate at all. For me this was good in one way, the anxiety made me so high strung I lost weight because I couldn't stop moving.

I'm hoping the e-cigarette's help with that.
There were some great posts....somewhere....it escapes me now....about how folks felt when they quit smoking. I think it was Gayla who said that she didn't know who she was without ciggies. It brought on fear.

You've been smoking for a loooooong time. I would wager that it's a similar situation with you, subconsciously. You'll have to get to know yourself as a non-smoker and that is someone you don't know now.

I'm not a smoker. My mom and her two-fisted chain smoking ways fixed that. My honey smoked though. He quit this year and I'm so very proud of him. He'd tried before without success until he was ready to quit. Everything lined up for him. He set his mind to it and his body was ready (the ciggies actually began to make him nauseous) and he had emotional support (me!) lined up. Trifecta!

It's good that you are seeking support and I wish you the very best in quitting.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

as a non smoker with very chronic lung issues I THANK YOU!!!!

Good luck Strappie!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I have bad asthma so good luck on your journey you can do it!!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,144 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck buddy! I know how hard it is to quit.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,894 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
There were some great posts....somewhere....it escapes me now....about how folks felt when they quit smoking. I think it was Gayla who said that she didn't know who she was without ciggies. It brought on fear.

You've been smoking for a loooooong time. I would wager that it's a similar situation with you, subconsciously. You'll have to get to know yourself as a non-smoker and that is someone you don't know now.

I'm not a smoker. My mom and her two-fisted chain smoking ways fixed that. My honey smoked though. He quit this year and I'm so very proud of him. He'd tried before without success until he was ready to quit. Everything lined up for him. He set his mind to it and his body was ready (the ciggies actually began to make him nauseous) and he had emotional support (me!) lined up. Trifecta!

It's good that you are seeking support and I wish you the very best in quitting.

Yes, it was gayla. I don't know where I saw the post either, but I commented on it. She is so right about that...it is about loss and that whole "who am I as a non smoker? I like my smoker self!". It is a part of our identity. I felt lost without it (quit one year ago this month), but somehow the "blanks" filled in.

Chantix is what worked for me.

http://www.chantix.com/

Some insurance companies will pay for it (mine didn't) and some States will pay for it. My state pays for it and it has nothing to do with income, you just have to be willing to let a nurse call you every week to check in and ask how you are doing.

My work paid for it (b/c I work at a medical institution, so they know the high cost of smoker's medical care!), and they made me pay the first month's worth (like $120 or something!), and then they paid for subsequent months.

As a side note, if you do this, some studies have shown that if you take it for 6 months (instead of the standard 3 months), you will have a better chance of staying free of smoking. I talked the nurse into it at my job and I really think it made a difference.

Good luck to all! Hang in there! And know it is worth it!

ETA: I also switched to hot tea in the morning instead of coffee and didn't drink beer for a month. Two things that go good with a cig.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Yes, it was gayla. I don't know where I saw the post either, but I commented on it. She is so right about that...it is about loss and that whole "who am I as a non smoker? I like my smoker self!". It is a part of our identity. I felt lost without it (quit one year ago this month), but somehow the "blanks" filled in.

Chantix is what worked for me.

http://www.chantix.com/

Some insurance companies will pay for it (mine didn't) and some States will pay for it. My state pays for it and it has nothing to do with income, you just have to be willing to let a nurse call you every week to check in and ask how you are doing.

My work paid for it (b/c I work at a medical institution, so they know the high cost of smoker's medical care!), and they made me pay the first month's worth (like $120 or something!), and then they paid for subsequent months.

As a side note, if you do this, some studies have shown that if you take it for 6 months (instead of the standard 3 months), you will have a better chance of staying free of smoking. I talked the nurse into it at my job and I really think it made a difference.

Good luck to all! Hang in there! And know it is worth it!
Awesome Dapper!

A lot of folks can't not a ford that method. Yes I know cigs cost that much too. But you have to go to the Doctor so that costs also it's just not the cost of the "pills."

I can a ford the pills and I have several friends that are in the medical field so I am able to get chantix.. However I am not one to take meds. never have been it's even hard for me to take something for a headache. I wanted to try something that would also give me something to do with my hands. Because that is "part" of the habit. So at this point in my journey, I want to try some other forms of quitting before I resort to a pill.

So happy for everyone that has use Chantix and it's worked! I hear it gives you amazing dreams! *smirk*
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,894 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappie View Post
Awesome Dapper!

A lot of folks can't not a ford that method. Yes I know cigs cost that much too. But you have to go to the Doctor so that costs also it's just not the cost of the "pills."

I can a ford the pills and I have several friends that are in the medical field so I am able to get chantix.. However I am not one to take meds. never have been it's even hard for me to take something for a headache. I wanted to try something that would also give me something to do with my hands. Because that is "part" of the habit. So at this point in my journey, I want to try some other forms of quitting before I resort to a pill.

So happy for everyone that has use Chantix and it's worked! I hear it gives you amazing dreams! *smirk*
Yes, strappie, definitely it is to each their own when it comes to taking medications of any kind. And the cost is why I mentioned that some States pay for it. Here you only have a number you need to call and they will send you a paper in the mail you just give to your pharmacist and you get it for free!

Driving and smoking...yep, another tough one. Some have picked up one of those "fake cigs" ...it is just one long filter (can get it in a drug store) and held that while driving. I kept a toothpick in my mouth. My Dad did it by always having a Life Saver in his mouth (but, then started getting cavities! lol). You have to find out your own, best method.

Put the smokes in an area of the house where you are not sitting. Then you are forced to get up every time in order to have a cig, so it gives you time to think about it. If you smoke inside your home, only smoke outside and ask any roommates you have to do the same!

Dixie you are right that Holidays may not be a good time to quit/take that next step.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: