Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Dr. Who!

I love the Dr Who series, with the exception of The Doctor changing ever so often. I got so used to the last doctor I didn't want him to change! I thought he was actually kind of good looking and that he and Martha Jones would have made a brilliant couple because she was soooo in love with him! I don't know if he just didn't see it or if he chose not to see it because he was a Time Lord.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #122
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
Jeepers Merlin, the notion of Thanksgiving is pretty easy that even I know about it. No wiki needed. The Pilgrims of the Plymouth colony gave thanks to God after surviving their first hard winter in New England. Gave thanks for being helped to survive by the indigenous, Native American population. You've heard of Squanto surely and the leader of the Wampanoag tribe who donated food to the colonists after the supplies they brought from England ran out. I could be entirely wrong in this of course, I've only done the basic history of the 'colonies'.

I look forward to hearing what the celebration means to Planet members personally.
Never did anything about american history at school. That's why I am asking the americans lol.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #123
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,245 Times in 1,415 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Dear americans,

No google or wikipedia answers I want this from your own personal perspective . .

Thanksgiving . . Explain this to me please. And what does it mean to you ? X x
Thanksgiving originated with the colonists, but Abraham Lincoln was the first president to celebrate it on one day as a national holiday, in the midst of the Civil War. Franklin Roosevelt fixed the day in November.

I stop to be thankful for all I have, and that for all our problems, we're darn blessed as well. I do have to confess that I love all the cooking madhouse, and football (American football, traditionally played on the day), but I try to have a moment to myself in thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #124
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
To be fair, the English (as opposed to the UK) were creating the Empire and starting it's dirty, bullish, colonizing ways long before they landed in Plymouth. Black Friday, wiki says that's the start of the Christmas shopping period, is that what you mean?
The Empire was a British creation, not solely an English one.

The UK, itself, had nothing to do with the Empire as it was simply a constitutional framework to unite Scotland to England and Wales (in 1707) and, subsequently, Ireland. The Empire was being built before the UK existed in an constitutional sense.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #125
Trishagee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Trishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST Reputation

I would move to the UK (anywhere in the UK) just to get Eastenders! I watched it for many (many) years on Public Broadcasting (delayed 1 or 2 years sadly) then it was taken away from me I try to keep up on their web page, but it's not the same! (ohhh and the curry take out would be an added bonus!)
Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #126
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
The Empire was a British creation, not solely an English one.

The UK, itself, had nothing to do with the Empire as it was simply a constitutional framework to unite Scotland to England and Wales (in 1707) and, subsequently, Ireland. The Empire was being built before the UK existed in an constitutional sense.

Yes of course it was. The Empire was starting to be created in the 17th century, in North America as it happens but that's by-the-by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishagee View Post
I would move to the UK (anywhere in the UK) just to get Eastenders! I watched it for many (many) years on Public Broadcasting (delayed 1 or 2 years sadly) then it was taken away from me I try to keep up on their web page, but it's not the same! (ohhh and the curry take out would be an added bonus!)
Do you lot not get BBCiPlayer over there?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #127
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,578 Times in 402 Posts
wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

Do you lot not get BBCiPlayer over there?[/QUOTE]

No in the US BbcIplayer isn't available. I wish it was.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #128
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbittenpoet View Post
Do you lot not get BBCiPlayer over there?
No in the US BbcIplayer isn't available. I wish it was.[/QUOTE]

Tsk! That just ain't right. There's loads I'd like to share with y'all if you had iPlayer. There's great arts and music stuff on BBC4
Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #129
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,368 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

*Tittering about Denmark saying Marmite isn't fit for human consumption*

Link

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #130
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i bet the old guy wishes Michelle were his date.

For me the dress, not so much. i prefer her in suits.

The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #131
Daktari

It's been odd watching your President 'reclaim' his apostrophe in Ireland and visiting QE2. The Obamas look so 'Hollywood' even next to Her Maj in her finery.

I wonder why a pretty pointless state visit happened now. I wonder who's footing the bill for the extra security? Just thinking out loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #132
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
It's been odd watching your President 'reclaim' his apostrophe in Ireland and visiting QE2. The Obamas look so 'Hollywood' even next to Her Maj in her finery.

I wonder why a pretty pointless state visit happened now. I wonder who's footing the bill for the extra security? Just thinking out loud.
The host country does the inviting, and they are scheduled way in advance. i am sure the British government is picking up the tab. Just googled. You are, and the estimate for security alone is 30 million pounds. A special allocation had to be made for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #133
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
The host country does the inviting, and they are scheduled way in advance. i am sure the British government is picking up the tab. Just googled. You are, and the estimate for security alone is 30 million pounds. A special allocation had to be made for it.
Thanks for googling that one Martina. Jeepers! With more children living in poverty than ever, a failing education system, an increasingly privatized health service and we spend 30m. on security. Way to go UK!! I suppose the British tax payer is used to picking up the bill for something they never asked for. I'm thinking back to that wedding recently.

I am not having a pop at the Obamas in any way. They were invited.

Does the 'Special Relationship' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Relationship get mentioned in the American media?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #134
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,617 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Does the 'Special Relationship' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Relationship get mentioned in the American media?
Not on a regular basis... but the two times (of note) I've heard it mentioned are:

WWII, certainly my grandparents and their peers referenced the special relationship between the US and the UK; with genuine gratitude and a sense of comradery. Similarly the English I know from the same generation - do as well - though not without noting how long it took the US to get involved in WWII.

My great Uncles laughed uproariously when they first heard the phrase:
"Oversexed, overpaid & over here" in reference to their time as GIs stationed in the UK.

The second time I noticed the phrase "special relationship" had become more common was during George W.'s tenure... and it is used in a very sarcastic/sardonic/ironic manner.

George W.'s wars against terror and WMDs and Tony Blair's willingness to follow (presumably because of that "special relationship" - has been widely criticized all around the world.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #135
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Not on a regular basis... but the two times (of note) I've heard it mentioned are:

WWII, certainly my grandparents and their peers referenced the special relationship between the US and the UK; with genuine gratitude and a sense of comradery. Similarly the English I know from the same generation - do as well - though not without noting how long it took the US to get involved in WWII.

My great Uncles laughed uproariously when they first heard the phrase:
"Oversexed, overpaid & over here" in reference to their time as GIs stationed in the UK.

The second time I noticed the phrase "special relationship" had become more common was during George W.'s tenure... and it is used in a very sarcastic/sardonic/ironic manner.

George W.'s wars against terror and WMDs and Tony Blair's willingness to follow (presumably because of that "special relationship" - has been widely criticized all around the world.
It is referred to here more than there I have always assumed so I'm not surprised you've only heard it twice Sparkle.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #136
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,485 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Yesterday I saw a report that High School proms were getting very popular in the UK, because of the show Glee. You don't not have them there?

Stretch limos, spray tans and the £500 dresses: The unstoppable (and ludicrously expensive) rise of the high school prom

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1R8TeOIIR
Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #137
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,485 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Do the English like country western music? Is it popular there?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #138
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillettoDoll View Post
Yesterday I saw a report that High School proms were getting very popular in the UK, because of the show Glee. You don't not have them there?

Stretch limos, spray tans and the £500 dresses: The unstoppable (and ludicrously expensive) rise of the high school prom

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1R8TeOIIR
Sadly yes we have now adopted the phenomenon that is the school prom - a bit like we 'adopted' trick or treating at Halloween. It's not so much to do with Glee but more to do with long-standing American cultural hegemony and kids wanting what they see in the movies/telly...the Prom as you lot know it has become more popular here over the last few years. We have always had an end of school celebrations it's just now they're called a Prom and parents have to pay out a lot more than they ever did for 'outfits' and transport.

Quote:
Course some Brits love country and western music...Not so sure I'd call it 'popular' but there are plenty of folks who like it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #139
Melissa

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married

Melissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST Reputation

I was looking up house prices in England the other day. I looked up prices on the street my grandparents lived on and where I grew up. I was shocked that a 2 bedroom former council flat in the same block as theirs is going for almost 200,000 pounds. When the council first started selling them off in the mid 90s they offered to sell it to my grandparents for 9,000 pounds! My grandfather refused to buy it.

M
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #140
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Can't say I am a fan .. I like dolly,tammy Wynette and tim McGraw.