How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,742 Times in 5,090 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Let us know what you think at the end. Sounds fascinating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonaderspeisung View Post
Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident
by Donnie Eichar

In February 1959, a group of nine experienced hikers in the Russian Ural Mountains died mysteriously on an elevation known as Dead Mountain. Eerie aspects of the incident—unexplained violent injuries, signs that they cut open and fled the tent without proper clothing or shoes, a strange final photograph taken by one of the hikers, and elevated levels of radiation found on some of their clothes—have led to decades of speculation over what really happened.

i'm about 2/3 through so i can't give an opinion on the authors final explanation of the incident
but i have found the book to be quite enthralling

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #2082
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 32,170 Times in 10,023 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I'm finally back from my day, gazelling about the universe, and stopped by my favorite library to check out and bring home a few books, to read during the holidays. I found two at the library and one is on the way: I had to order it on an inter-library loan because not many people ordinarily want to read it, but I do.

Czeslaw Milosz: Legends of Modernity (1996; trans. in 2005), A Treatise On Poetry (begun in the winter of 1955, finished by spring of 1956; published and trans., in 2001), and The Captive Mind (1953; trans: Vintage International; NY, NY: 1990).

Here's an interesting article (LINK), authored by Tony Judt, concerning Milosz' book, The Captive Mind, which appeared in The New York Review of Books (September 30th, 2010 issue).

I’m all about democracy: Support your local small business owner or family owned grocery store by boycotting billionaire big money industries (Walmart, Kroger, See’s Candy which is owned by Warren Buffett, ETC). Don’t let the billionaires club win. Support democracy from the ground up, not top down.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #2083
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,666 Times in 7,654 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

The golden notebook / Doris Lessing

I don't ever remember reading this classic.

The Golden Notebook is the story of writer Anna Wulf, the four notebooks in which she records her life, and her attempt to tie them together in a fifth, gold-coloured, notebook. The book intersperses segments of an ostensibly realistic narrative of the lives of Molly and Anna, and their children, ex-husbands and lovers—entitled Free Women—with excerpts from Anna's four notebooks, coloured black (of Anna's experience in Southern Rhodesia, before and during WWII, which inspired her own best-selling novel), red (of her experience as a member of the Communist Party), yellow (an ongoing novel that is being written based on the painful ending of Anna's own love affair), and blue (Anna's personal journal where she records her memories, dreams, and emotional life). Each notebook is returned to four times, interspersed with episodes from Free Women, creating non-chronological, overlapping sections that interact with one another. This post-modern styling, with its space for "play" engaging the characters and readers, is among the most famous features of the book, although Lessing insisted that readers and reviewers pay attention to the serious themes in the novel.
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #2084
ClassyStud

How Do You Identify?:
Stud
Preferred Pronoun?:
Neither
Relationship Status:
Single

ClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Book Thief

Trying to get this done before I see the movie but my reading time is limited. Maybe the movie will stay in the theaters until I am done or Christmas can wait so I can finish.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #2085
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

The Actress (A Rita Farmer Mystery) by Sims, Elizabeth

i read every lesbian mystery/detective book that comes my way.
i read all of Elizabeth Sims Lillian Byrd Mysteries. i was impressed by her framing of Lillian so real and like me flawed. l.
i am hoping Rita Farmer will be as charming as Lillian. This is the first of a series of mysteries. The Extra and On Location follow.
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #2086
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,096 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I am finally at the end of "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb! I have attempted to read this 3 times and always give up about 4 chapters in. I have about 40 pages left.
It was worth it!

I am also reading "The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion".
It's really wonderful and so very calming.

My "bathroom book" is "Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune" by Bill Dedman.
Fascinating so far!!
Wally Lamb is my all time favorite author! I just received his latest book We Are Water for my bday. I can't wait to have a free second to sit down and read. I'm craving one of those weekends where you can not look at the clock at all and get totally immersed into a book.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #2087
Yew

How Do You Identify?:
ftm, trans*
Preferred Pronoun?:
he him his
Relationship Status:
Single

Yew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading this fasinating article about phantom sensations in people who are transsexual

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/p...-gender-brain/
Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #2088
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh

It's finally out: my favorite blog is now a book! If you're already a fan of the blog Hyperbole and a Half, you'll no doubt recognize most of the content of this book, but will love it all the more. There were a few chapters/posts that I didn't recognize, but I'm not sure if I missed it in the blog or if it's actual new content created just for the book. Either way, it was an unexpected bonus.

Each chapter/post is on different colored pages, which is good when skipping around: it would be hard to distinguish one story from another, just based on the artwork, which looks like a 5 year drew it (which is, of course, part of the blog's brilliance)… so the color-coded chapters are really handy. The placement of art on the page is nice too.

Allie Brosh has launched dozens of hilarious (to me) catch phrases that cause mostly blank looks in those around me when I say them…which is often ("I made food! I'm magical!" "Cake is the only thing that matters." "Can't anyone see how dead these are?" "Clean ALL the things!") Now maybe the rest of the world will catch up and recognize the manic brilliance they've been missing.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #2089
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,666 Times in 7,654 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

All about love : new visions / Bell Hooks.

Everyone who has witnessed the growth process of a newborn child from the moment of birth on sees clearly that before language is known, before the identity of caretakers is recognized, babies respond to affectionate care. Usually they respond with sounds or looks of pleasure. As they grow older they respond to affectionate care by giving affection, cooing at the sight of a welcomed caretaker. Affection is only one ingredient of love. To truly love we must learn to mix various ingredients-care, affection, recognition, respect, commitment, and trust, as well as honest and open communication. Learning faulty definitions of love when we are quite young makes it difficult to be loving as we grow older. We start out committed to the right path but go in the wrong direction. Most of us learn early on to think of love as a feeling. When we feel deeply drawn to someone, we cathect with them, that is, we invest feelings or emotion in them. That process of investment wherein a loved one becomes important to us is called "cathexis." In his book Peck rightly emphasizes that most of us "confuse cathecting with loving." We all know how often individuals feeling connected to someone through the process of cathecting insist that they love the other person even if they are hurting or neglecting them. Since their feeling is that of cathexis, they insist that what they feel is love.

--------
All About Love offers radical new ways to think about love by showing its interconnectedness in our private and public lives. In eleven concise chapters, hooks explains how our everyday notions of what it means to give and receive love often fail us, and how these ideals are established in early childhood. She offers a rethinking of self-love (without narcissism) that will bring peace and compassion to our personal and professional lives, and asserts the place of love to end struggles between individuals, in communities, and among societies. Moving from the cultural to the intimate, hooks notes the ties between love and loss and challenges the prevailing notion that romantic love is the most important love of all.

Visionary and original, hooks shows how love heals the wounds we bear as individuals and as a nation, for it is the cornerstone of compassion and forgiveness and holds the power to overcome shame.

-----------------

Fascinating reading for a snowy day.
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #2090
fatallyblonde

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her

fatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputation

I'm making my way through James Patterson's Alex Cross series... crime thrillers and some ugly stuff going on so I may have to take a break soon for a good Tilly Bagshawe bonkbuster or some chicklit! I recently downloaded over 1000 books with lesbian themes to my kindle so I guess I should tackle those one of these days XD I saw others mention the Sookie Stackhouse books... I read all 13 of them this year - so much fun!!!
fatallyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatallyblonde For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #2091
LoyalWolfsBlade

How Do You Identify?:
Pre-Op FtM,
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones plz
Relationship Status:
Single but haven't given up on finding the One

Thanked 9,646 Times in 3,123 Posts
LoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST Reputation

In real book form Mo Stars Complete Dark by Stephen King

In Kindle form starting the Deviations Series
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoyalWolfsBlade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #2092
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,404 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm making my way through "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho ..... slowly, as I need to re-read each piece that I section off to reflect on my life and how it relates to the journey the shepherd is making.

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #2093
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,869 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Finished only 3 books in December but they were really good. And because of this thread, I am now reading the following:

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident
by Donnie Eichar

and

James McBride's latest novel: The Good Lord Bird (Aug. 2013)

and my current "fluff" (not necessarily a silly book but something I read on and off in sections) is a vintage Thanatochemistry/Embalming manual. It's a tome at over 500 pages and I skip the mathematical equations for fluid levels but the explanations of restorative art are fascinating.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #2094
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 32,170 Times in 10,023 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I too am reading, The Good Lord Bird
(I borrowed it from a friend, recently).

After spending my day out and about, I picked up several books to stash away for reading late at night:
Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley: The Annotated Frankenstein (2012).
-- Edited by, Susan J. Wolfson and Ronald L. Levao

Written On The Sky: Poems from the Japanese (2009 edition).
--Translated by, Kenneth Rexroth

Dancing Embers (Twisted Spoon Press, Prague: 2002).
-- Poetry and Prose by an ethnic Hungarian poet who resides in Transylvannia, Romania: Sándor Kányádi.

The Poems of Li Ho: 791-817 (Oxford University Press, 1970).
--Chinese poetry by Li Ho translated by, J. D. Frodsham.

I’m all about democracy: Support your local small business owner or family owned grocery store by boycotting billionaire big money industries (Walmart, Kroger, See’s Candy which is owned by Warren Buffett, ETC). Don’t let the billionaires club win. Support democracy from the ground up, not top down.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #2095
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,591 Times in 14,920 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default What I'm reading

House Girl by Tara Conklin~~
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #2096
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,591 Times in 14,920 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Just finished reading

Joyland by Stephen King & One Degree of Separation by Karin Kallmarker
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 AM   #2097
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

Gone by Jonathan Kellerman ... it is one in his Alex Delaware (AD) series. I love the characters, they are all familiar to me since I've read so many of the AD ones. I have had it awhile now. In real life, Jonathan Kellerman is a child psychologist.

I am a very active person and lately it has been difficult to be still and read - would rather be outside tooling around (woodworking) or indoors assembling a gadgie. My current on going indoor project is making a lamp for the fun of it. I am sure I will give it to someone, don't know who yet, when completed. I think I am finished with it and then get another idea to do something more to it. About a week ago, I found the neatest switch (very unusual looking) on a sale table at Home Depot. It works great and is so cool. I like using my hands to create things.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #2098
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

Common Murder: A Lindsay Gordon Mystery by Val McDermid

A series about a journalist who turns detective on occasion. This is book two in the series. A good read set in Scotland and England.
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #2099
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,142 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

I discovered the Ender series and loved the writing style. I had grand plans to read the whole thing and I was SO excited to have found a new series. Then Orson Scott Card turned out to be a giant homophobic, racist weirdo. I feel dirty that I gave him money for this books with the way he spews vitriol.

Thank goodness I just got "The Wolves of Midwinter" by my dear Anne Rice, it
seems a perfect antidote for that hateful Card. Anne Rice publicly denounced the Catholic church for their antigay foolishness. My kinda girl.

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #2100
fatallyblonde

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her

fatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputation

Yes OSC is terrible person!!

I just downloaded a whole bunch of books about Marilyn Monroe to my Kindle so I am super pleased about that! Will take a break from Alex Cross soon to give them a read!
fatallyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatallyblonde For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading