Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #261
durrrrrrrr

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he , him

Thanked 10,217 Times in 2,504 Posts
durrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
Anyone using an iShieldz ?

They are pretty neat, they come with a lifetime guarantee and work really great.

http://ishieldz.com/store/
Nope. I don't really need one. My screen doesn't scratch at all and I carry my phone in my pocket.

I read somewhere about that shield ( years ago ) where ppl was havin problems with the shield. Not being able to scroll easier then without one. Also ppl complained when they took the shield off, it left marks / residue on their phone that they couldn't get off.

well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit
durrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #262
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Anyone using an iShieldz ?

They are pretty neat, they come with a lifetime guarantee and work really great.

http://ishieldz.com/store/
I don't use them. I use Zagg on mine and unlike what some of the reports mentioned by durrrrr, it's never left a residue. They use just distilled water to create the seal. It's worked perfect for mine and K removed it off my old iPad without any marks left.

My biggest challenge with the screen on the iPad/iPhone is fingerprints and that's why I got the Zagg shield. Easier to clean with no potential for scratches, spills or other stuff happening to the screen.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #263
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Bless you Linus

"There is always a need"

Now I have to think of a need.

I'll give it to you..... here goes

You NEED an Ipad with a good photo imaging app to fuel your creativity. Your photography is very important to you and we all know that its not just about taking them but to properly display them. You NEED the ipad because it gives you the artistic creativity to move about into areas that inspire you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #264
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I had the otterbox on mine for a long time. I admit that it has saved me, especially being on the farm. I am famous for sticking eggs in my pockets while i feed the pig and then rubbing up against something and smashing them in my pocket. I've ruined a few blackberry phones.

My Iphone is a year old now. I have special replacement insurance with a 50.00 deductible. I hate the bulk and weight of the otterbox so I decided not to use it. Its been a few months and I have no scratches. I've dropped it at least a dozen times. It hasn't met the egg test yet and I haven't dropped it into a bucket of water.

The newest iphone has a special glass that is the strongest yet. I'm not sure if they use this on ipad but I'm guessing they work hard to make the product leading edge. Especially as competition begins to surface.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #265
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I don't use them. I use Zagg on mine and unlike what some of the reports mentioned by durrrrr, it's never left a residue. They use just distilled water to create the seal. It's worked perfect for mine and K removed it off my old iPad without any marks left.

My biggest challenge with the screen on the iPad/iPhone is fingerprints and that's why I got the Zagg shield. Easier to clean with no potential for scratches, spills or other stuff happening to the screen.

Thank you I had no idea they had an alternative.. I will check this one out too... I haven't done the ISheildz on mine yet but it works great on Syrs, I do hope now she never has to take it off....

I wonder if I even need one though!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #266
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
I had the otterbox on mine for a long time. I admit that it has saved me, especially being on the farm. I am famous for sticking eggs in my pockets while i feed the pig and then rubbing up against something and smashing them in my pocket. I've ruined a few blackberry phones.

My Iphone is a year old now. I have special replacement insurance with a 50.00 deductible. I hate the bulk and weight of the otterbox so I decided not to use it. Its been a few months and I have no scratches. I've dropped it at least a dozen times. It hasn't met the egg test yet and I haven't dropped it into a bucket of water.

The newest iphone has a special glass that is the strongest yet. I'm not sure if they use this on ipad but I'm guessing they work hard to make the product leading edge. Especially as competition begins to surface.

One of our neighbors ran over his iphone with the Otterbox,with his TRACTOR, it survived! Syr has one but I chose the Hot Pink Bubble Gel cover.. it's spiffy. I stick eggs in my pocket too, but so far no scrambled ones. They had the otterbox with the belt clip, that works good too.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #267
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

I found a great cover for my iPhone on eBay - although now reading about the otterbox saving the phone I might just look into that.

I am hard on phones, as I tend to be talking on em and juggling keys and bags etc and banged up my Blackberry many times.

Thanks for the idea about the Otterbox

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abigail Crabby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #268
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
I'll give it to you..... here goes

You NEED an Ipad with a good photo imaging app to fuel your creativity. Your photography is very important to you and we all know that its not just about taking them but to properly display them. You NEED the ipad because it gives you the artistic creativity to move about into areas that inspire you.
OK I wrote all of this down, will pass it on to DaddiB, lets see what happens!
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #269
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail Crabby View Post
I found a great cover for my iPhone on eBay - although now reading about the otterbox saving the phone I might just look into that.

I am hard on phones, as I tend to be talking on em and juggling keys and bags etc and banged up my Blackberry many times.

Thanks for the idea about the Otterbox
Otterbox.com has tons more selections that the stores...
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #270
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

I used Zagg on my old iPhone as well. I never had any issues using the touchscreen, including scrolling, with the Zagg on it. Last week or so, I took the Zagg off just for grins and the screen looked the same way it did when I bought it. And there was no residue.

When I got the new iPhone, I bought an otterbox defender. I occasionally have issues with "the dropsies" and wanted to make sure Siri, I mean the phone, was protected. It has a screen protector built into it so I have no need for other screen protectors. And I got mine on Amazon. Their prices are generally way better than what you find on otterbox's website, depending on which one you're looking at.
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #271
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a huge advocate of the Otterbox Defender series. It does make the phone heavier but it also makes it a great weapon when one needs it!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #272
Daktari

Another here recommending Otterbox Defender cases. Works a treat on my IPT...I like that the screen is still real sensitive despite a layer of polycarbonate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #273
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I'm a huge advocate of the Otterbox Defender series. It does make the phone heavier but it also makes it a great weapon when one needs it!
I took my phone out of my pocket before class today and promptly dropped it on the tile floor. No problem at all. The guy sitting across from me said, "Wow! That's a big case!" It's funny how people always seem to think it's huge. I don't think it's *that* big. Yeah, it's a bit heavier and it's definitely not a slim case, but if I'm gonna keep dropping it, it's all worth it.
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #274
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

I bought an ipad 2 wifi and decided not to spring for 3G.
Ok I have a question for anyone in the know- if you buy a Ipad 3g you still have to purchase a separate data plan which cost 25.00 and up. If you already have a iphone you have to pay for a data package which is an additional 25.00 and up depending on your data usage. If you have an iphone 4 you can purchase data tethering for 45.00 for 4GB! This turns your Iphone into a personal hotspot where you can use any wifi device. So my question is why get a ipad 3g?

Is anyone using their iphone as a personal hotspot and if so, how is the connection?

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #275
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

I have a member of my family who does not use internet at home. She uses her iphone for wifi hotspot on her Mac and it works great. I have not used this myself but I think it's a great idea if it's a one time purchase.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #276
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Cool App I ran across! You all may have seen it but I thought it was a good one, but only for iphone, ipod touch.

Cards App

By Apple View More By This DeveloperOpen iTunes to buy and download apps.
Description
The new Cards app from Apple lets you create and mail beautifully crafted cards personalized with your own text and photos — right from your iPhone or iPod touch. Take a quick snapshot and with a few taps and swipes, an elegant thank you note or “wish-you-were-here” card is on its way to any address in the world. Choose from 21 designs and customize your card with a personal message and photo. Then select an address from your Contacts and place your order in seconds. All your cards are saved automatically, so it’s easy to send an invitation or birth announcement to more than one person.

Custom letterpress cards
• Cards combine a centuries-old letterpress technique with your digital text and photos
• Each card is crafted from 100 percent cotton paper and imprinted with an elegant debossed design
• Choose from 21 designs for six occasions: Thank You, Holiday, New Baby, Birthday, Love, and Travel
• Customize the placeholder text for any occasion, such as an anniversary or graduation
• Add a photo to your card or send one with just text

Location integration
• If you select one of the Travel designs, your card automatically displays the name of your current location
• Choose a photo with GPS data, and the card shows the name of the place where the photo was taken

Prepaid postage included
• U.S. customers can send a card within the U.S. for $2.99 including postage
• Send a card anywhere else in the world for $4.99 including postage
• Select an address from your Contacts and easily personalize it — from Mr. Johnny Appleseed to The Appleseed Family, for example
• To place your order, simply enter your Apple ID password
• In the U.S., your card will include our own Apple-designed postage

Delivery notification
• Cards mailed to U.S. addresses make use of the United States Postal Service Intelligent Mail® barcode
• On the day your card is to be delivered, you’ll receive a notification on your iPhone or iPod touch

Card history
• All your cards are automatically saved and can be viewed in a history list
• You can resend any card to another recipient — perfect for when you have a lot of friends to thank or you want to spread the word about the newest member of your family

Total order price includes postage. For orders with a U.S. billing address, sales tax will be added to the order price. For orders with a non-U.S. billing address, the order price will include applicable VAT.

...More
Apple Web SiteCards SupportApplication License Agreement
iPhone Screenshots

Customer Reviews
Easier than buying a card, but still room for improvement

by ddkilzer
Cards is a great way to send a personalized card to a friend or loved one.

It's much more convenient than driving to the store, buying a card, driving home, addressing the card, (buying and) affixing a stamp, and then dropping it in the mail. And it's probably just as cost-effective, if not more so.

The main drawback is that all of the templates in this version are landscape, which don't work as well when most of your photos are portrait. You just can't crop them the way you want to sometimes.

Also note that you will be charged sales tax for each card. It is not reflected in the app, but it does show up on the billing statement sent by email.

It's too early to know whether this will help to save the US Postal Service, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a spike in Cards volume shortly.

Overall I like the concept and plan to use it in the future. I won't send my Christmas cards through it (you must address and send each card individually--no mail merge feature), but I will definitely use it to send birthday and anniversary cards.

...More
It works well but ...

by Paul Jorritsma
There definitely needs to be an update, there are many different occasions missing, like get well soon, and many holidays. Plus I didn't see any way to make a custom card from scratch which would be nice. Add these things and the rating would definitely be a 5.

Apple just saved the postal service!

by Scott Elson
This app is the best way to send snail mail. The quality of the cards is better than anything you see at stores. You can be sure that every card you send is one of a kind!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #277
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Cool App I ran across! You all may have seen it but I thought it was a good one, but only for iphone, ipod touch.

Cards App

By Apple View More By This DeveloperOpen iTunes to buy and download apps.
Description
The new Cards app from Apple lets you create and mail beautifully crafted cards personalized with your own text and photos — right from your iPhone or iPod touch. Take a quick snapshot and with a few taps and swipes, an elegant thank you note or “wish-you-were-here” card is on its way to any address in the world. Choose from 21 designs and customize your card with a personal message and photo. Then select an address from your Contacts and place your order in seconds. All your cards are saved automatically, so it’s easy to send an invitation or birth announcement to more than one person.

Custom letterpress cards
• Cards combine a centuries-old letterpress technique with your digital text and photos
• Each card is crafted from 100 percent cotton paper and imprinted with an elegant debossed design
• Choose from 21 designs for six occasions: Thank You, Holiday, New Baby, Birthday, Love, and Travel
• Customize the placeholder text for any occasion, such as an anniversary or graduation
• Add a photo to your card or send one with just text

Location integration
• If you select one of the Travel designs, your card automatically displays the name of your current location
• Choose a photo with GPS data, and the card shows the name of the place where the photo was taken

Prepaid postage included
• U.S. customers can send a card within the U.S. for $2.99 including postage
• Send a card anywhere else in the world for $4.99 including postage
• Select an address from your Contacts and easily personalize it — from Mr. Johnny Appleseed to The Appleseed Family, for example
• To place your order, simply enter your Apple ID password
• In the U.S., your card will include our own Apple-designed postage

Delivery notification
• Cards mailed to U.S. addresses make use of the United States Postal Service Intelligent Mail® barcode
• On the day your card is to be delivered, you’ll receive a notification on your iPhone or iPod touch

Card history
• All your cards are automatically saved and can be viewed in a history list
• You can resend any card to another recipient — perfect for when you have a lot of friends to thank or you want to spread the word about the newest member of your family

Total order price includes postage. For orders with a U.S. billing address, sales tax will be added to the order price. For orders with a non-U.S. billing address, the order price will include applicable VAT.

...More
Apple Web SiteCards SupportApplication License Agreement
iPhone Screenshots

Customer Reviews
Easier than buying a card, but still room for improvement

by ddkilzer
Cards is a great way to send a personalized card to a friend or loved one.

It's much more convenient than driving to the store, buying a card, driving home, addressing the card, (buying and) affixing a stamp, and then dropping it in the mail. And it's probably just as cost-effective, if not more so.

The main drawback is that all of the templates in this version are landscape, which don't work as well when most of your photos are portrait. You just can't crop them the way you want to sometimes.

Also note that you will be charged sales tax for each card. It is not reflected in the app, but it does show up on the billing statement sent by email.

It's too early to know whether this will help to save the US Postal Service, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a spike in Cards volume shortly.

Overall I like the concept and plan to use it in the future. I won't send my Christmas cards through it (you must address and send each card individually--no mail merge feature), but I will definitely use it to send birthday and anniversary cards.

...More
It works well but ...

by Paul Jorritsma
There definitely needs to be an update, there are many different occasions missing, like get well soon, and many holidays. Plus I didn't see any way to make a custom card from scratch which would be nice. Add these things and the rating would definitely be a 5.

Apple just saved the postal service!

by Scott Elson
This app is the best way to send snail mail. The quality of the cards is better than anything you see at stores. You can be sure that every card you send is one of a kind!

wow an actual card on paper and everything! lol very cool Dee
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #278
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
wow an actual card on paper and everything! lol very cool Dee
Yeah silly I know but I love old fashioned snail mail.
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #279
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

I use my Atrix for tethering, because it was simply stupid to pay $40 a month separately for a USB modem that gave me CRAP speed. The only problem with the tethering, oddly enough, is that it drops every half hour or so if i'm online after 1am. Not sure why, but it's not a huge deal. Tethering is okay but I need more bandwidth ( I go through 10GB or more every month) and will be getting a high speed line and will connect everything (ipod,ipad,pc,etc.) wirelessly when I move next month.

Quote:
Ok I have a question for anyone in the know- if you buy a Ipad 3g you still have to purchase a separate data plan which cost 25.00 and up. If you already have a iphone you have to pay for a data package which is an additional 25.00 and up depending on your data usage. If you have an iphone 4 you can purchase data tethering for 45.00 for 4GB! This turns your Iphone into a personal hotspot where you can use any wifi device. So my question is why get a ipad 3g?

Is anyone using their iphone as a personal hotspot and if so, how is the connection?

Thanks
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #280
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:

Thanks
I've used it when I've been on the road and the hotel wireless was exceptionally crappy. Heck, I've watched movies and played Warcraft (not at the same time) on it. For the now and again, it's great. I never went beyond 12 midnight so I can't comment on what Butcherie was doing (although if I had to guess that's likely when backups/updates are done to the network so it'd make sense).

I got a data plan separate for my iPad. Again, it's because of the hotel and crappy wireless that I can run into when on the road. When I finally get to doing my bike trip (moved to 2013 rather than 2012), I'll likely just bring my iPad (in a waterproof case/bag) to document everything rather than a journal or laptop. I even have a solar charger for this