Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 07-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #521
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,673 Times in 3,994 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I am NOT sleeping well. I took 2 tylenol PMs last night hoping to nod off, but at 3AM I took an a half an ambian too. At 5 I finally fell asleep and at 630, woke up gagging...my hiatal hernia and acid reflux was flaring. I also worked hard yesterday in the garden so my muscles were sore.

My schedule is all off and I am going to have to fix it by staying up 24 hours and getting back into a normal sleep schedule...and laying off caffeine after 5PM. I bought green tea which is high in caffeine. And I have been off caffeine for weeks now...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #522
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Maybe there is something in the air, I am really achy and not sleeping too. UGH.

I stop caffeine usually at 2pm, if I have it later it can mess with my sleep too, especially iced tea for some strange reason.

I hope you sleep well tonight! Sleep makes everything better.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #523
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I never get to sleep before 4:30am. I get up around 12:30pm every day. Even if I get up way earlier, I am still wide awake all night. I force myself to go to bed by 4:00am, but if I didn't, I could be awake a lot longer. If I take my night time meds a lot earlier than 3 or 3:30am, I still am just as wide awake. My nighttime meds include 400mg of Trazodone, which is supposed to help me sleep.

On the bright side, I get a full 8 hours of sleep everyday. I suspect that my brain is wired to be up all night because the original traumatic event that started all this (fire broke out in my apartment and destroyed it) happened at 2am. Now my brain is on high alert all night. I don't know how to change that.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #524
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,525 Times in 1,698 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation

I have been very lucky in that I have been sleeping all night long, well as much as possible...I awaken wishing there was more time to sleep...lol...but I did go thru a patch some years ago where I could not sleep at all! It was terrible! I got so much advice from everyone from warm milk to staying up until I passed out..lol...and finally I tried having a cup of chamomile tea and spraying my bedroom with lavender scent and lighting lavendar candles...also, I placed candles around my home and as soon as it got dark, I lit those and it gave a warm, soft glow...not only did it make for a relaxing effect but it also made me more amorous...my honey loved it...'course I fell hard to sleep every night but hey, I felt better and better everyday. Also, an old wives tale about getting outside during the morning dew and just breathing deeply, stretching, praying...helped with depression symptoms as well as insomnia...don't ask me how it works...but it certainly worked for me...

I hope you all find solutions to your sleep inhibitions...it sure does feel good to wake up from a restful slumber...mmm...and I wish you that in abundance.
Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #525
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiczombie View Post
I never get to sleep before 4:30am. I get up around 12:30pm every day. Even if I get up way earlier, I am still wide awake all night. I force myself to go to bed by 4:00am, but if I didn't, I could be awake a lot longer. If I take my night time meds a lot earlier than 3 or 3:30am, I still am just as wide awake. My nighttime meds include 400mg of Trazodone, which is supposed to help me sleep.

On the bright side, I get a full 8 hours of sleep everyday. I suspect that my brain is wired to be up all night because the original traumatic event that started all this (fire broke out in my apartment and destroyed it) happened at 2am. Now my brain is on high alert all night. I don't know how to change that.

That totally makes sense, your body is likely on high alert all night t keep you safe. At least right now you get to sleep long enough to get 8 hours. Sleep is so important in the healing process.

LS makes some great suggestions! Lavendar does help, and it's not too girly and chamomile calm the stomach and the mind. Sometimes I ice down a pitcher and drink it as iced tea.

I hope as time passes maybe you can get to sleep a little earlier each night, but don't push yourself, it really has not been that long since the fire.

So sorry you are experiencing this!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #526
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I go through the exact same thing....no sleep. I finally got all my meds filled and I'm sleeping through the night. It took forever to find the right combination of meds. Good luck with this.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #527
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

I've had a lot of success using Melatonin (herbal product) to help make me sleepy when my mind is whirrrrring.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #528
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
I've had a lot of success using Melatonin (herbal product) to help make me sleepy when my mind is whirrrrring.

I take Melatonin too, I forgot about that. It does really help!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #529
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I take Melatonin too, I forgot about that. It does really help!
I just started using Melatonin, too! And like the result. I've always had sleep problems (even as a baby, according to my mother, not just baby kind of stuff and it got really bad after precipitating PTSD event) and menopause really did a number on me with sleep! Way better post-menopause, but still a problem. Kind of nice to have Melatonin working for me.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #530
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I was a premie and weighed one pound fourteenOz,I always have had a sleep problemwich is backwards to ppl who sleep nights,I usely sleep better in the day than at night.Hence most of my jobs have been grave yard nighters wich work very well for me.If im ging to sleep nights I either do a lot to burn of the excess energy then when I do go to bed I have learned to meditate my mind into a safe place to fall asleep..works most of the time.On the nights I have trouble sleepng I am on the puter till I get tired or go work out on the patio as hard as I dare..cazy but works for me.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #531
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I sometimes use meditation or self-hypnosis to shut down anxiety before bedtime. Usually only when I am just way anxious and know I have to divert it somehow. I was a low birth weight baby (Mom smoked while pregnant for me), but full term. Don't know if this has any bearing on sleep disturbance, but have read some studies about neurological wiring and sleep and symptoms can begin in infancy. Put that with anxiety wiring and throw in trauma and BOOM!! Maybe... have no scientific basis to make this assumption.

I certainly envy people that sleep soundly and get real restorative sleep, however! I developed central nervous system sleep apnea about 20 years ago which really was hard. With treatment and weight loss (even though that was not the main marker for onset) helped a lot, plus the relaxation techniques. I am doing well with the Melatonin at this point and haven't had any side effects- still have to be aware of this with herbal type therapies.
Hell, herbs, roots, potions, and plants are what gave pharmacology its start!

LOL, my kid says I need sex back in my life and I will sleep just fine! Damn, kid!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #532
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,525 Times in 1,698 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation
Default The PTSD Basket for the Reunion--who's still in?

Ahem...clearing throat...

Hi all!

Awhile back we'd talked about doing a basket with stuff in it for relaxation purposes, destressors and whatnot...and well, the reunion is next month so we are down to the wire...All those who are still in, please pm me--if you changed your mind, no big deal, but if you're still game please let me know...

I was thinking of assembling the basket then shipping it to Little Rock ahead of time so the admins can have it there in advance...

I'm wondering if any of us PTSD'ers are going to the Reunion since we really haven't touched on it and this isn't the right thread, so...yeah...pm me so we can get back to the support at hand.

God bless and hope to hear from you.

Sorry for the derail, A!

Love and many blessings! Shug

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #533
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleShug View Post
Ahem...clearing throat...

Hi all!

Awhile back we'd talked about doing a basket with stuff in it for relaxation purposes, destressors and whatnot...and well, the reunion is next month so we are down to the wire...All those who are still in, please pm me--if you changed your mind, no big deal, but if you're still game please let me know...

I was thinking of assembling the basket then shipping it to Little Rock ahead of time so the admins can have it there in advance...

I'm wondering if any of us PTSD'ers are going to the Reunion since we really haven't touched on it and this isn't the right thread, so...yeah...pm me so we can get back to the support at hand.

God bless and hope to hear from you.

Sorry for the derail, A!

Love and many blessings! Shug

I can't make the reunion this year....(whining).
But the PTSD basket idea sounds like a winner to do!!
Hope all of you that are going have a safe and wonderful trip.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #534
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
That totally makes sense, your body is likely on high alert all night t keep you safe. At least right now you get to sleep long enough to get 8 hours. Sleep is so important in the healing process.

LS makes some great suggestions! Lavendar does help, and it's not too girly and chamomile calm the stomach and the mind. Sometimes I ice down a pitcher and drink it as iced tea.

I hope as time passes maybe you can get to sleep a little earlier each night, but don't push yourself, it really has not been that long since the fire.

So sorry you are experiencing this!
LOL The fire happened on December 1st 2007. That is kind of a while ago now. Different scents, things like that have never worked for me. The best thing I have is reading a book. Since I have lived with the bipolar diagnosis all my life, I have had sleep issues that long too. As a teenager I once went for 3 weeks without more than an hour or so each night and at the end of that I crashed into one of the worst depression episodes of my life. I am no stranger to sleep problems. What I have learned over the years is not to stress myself out over it. If I can't sleep then I can't sleep and worrying about it doesn't help. I just relax when I am in bed and read. I know that even if I am not sleeping, my body is resting and I will eventually fall asleep. Right now I am not working so it is easier to deal with, but I do feel like I miss a lot when I sleep through half the day. Oh well. I am kind of wondering if the T I started on in the beginning of May might be exacerbating my sleep problems. Thanks for your kind words apoc, and everyone else.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #535
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,673 Times in 3,994 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I finally fell asleep at a decent hour and was up at 9 AM! Now lets see if I can do this two days in a row.

Melatonin...I have a friend who tried using it but it gave her hallucinations. She saw things move in the patterns of the wallpaper. Has anyone else experienced this or something like it on melatonin?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #536
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,911 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
I finally fell asleep at a decent hour and was up at 9 AM! Now lets see if I can do this two days in a row.

Melatonin...I have a friend who tried using it but it gave her hallucinations. She saw things move in the patterns of the wallpaper. Has anyone else experienced this or something like it on melatonin?
Yes, when I took 7 mg I had nightmares. When I took 5mg, sometimes I had nightmares. It seems that 3mg is a good dose for me, I sleep well, have detailed vivid dreams and life is good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #537
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
LOL The fire happened on December 1st 2007. That is kind of a while ago now. Different scents, things like that have never worked for me. The best thing I have is reading a book. Since I have lived with the bipolar diagnosis all my life, I have had sleep issues that long too. As a teenager I once went for 3 weeks without more than an hour or so each night and at the end of that I crashed into one of the worst depression episodes of my life. I am no stranger to sleep problems. What I have learned over the years is not to stress myself out over it. If I can't sleep then I can't sleep and worrying about it doesn't help. I just relax when I am in bed and read. I know that even if I am not sleeping, my body is resting and I will eventually fall asleep. Right now I am not working so it is easier to deal with, but I do feel like I miss a lot when I sleep through half the day. Oh well. I am kind of wondering if the T I started on in the beginning of May might be exacerbating my sleep problems. Thanks for your kind words apoc, and everyone else.
A lot of my trauma happened over 40 years ago, so 2007 seems pretty recent in PTSD terms.

I have to work a shift where I have to get up and be to work at a certain time or I sleep all day too. It keeps me regular...My sleep I mean, that sounded funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post

Never, but I have on some medicines. Spiders sliding down their web lines onto my bed and crawling up my covers, I could even feel them and was frozen. But not on Melatonin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Yes, when I took 7 mg I had nightmares. When I took 5mg, sometimes I had nightmares. It seems that 3mg is a good dose for me, I sleep well, have detailed vivid dreams and life is good.
I have always gone with 3mg too. Works great.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #538
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

This is not an easy thing to live with in the sense that it affects almost every aspect of my life. It's changed me in ways that scare me, in ways that make me feel that I'll never get me back.

I've changed for the worse I believe; ways that I'm ashamed to admit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #539
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

On another topic, no...I'm not going to the reunion. Even if I could go, I wouldn't for no other reason than it's just not my thing. You'd generally find me sitting alone somewhere drinking and watching other people. I quit dancing years ago and I'm real quiet in person—mistaken for being aloof. It's just how I am. But for those of you who are going, I hope you have a great time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #540
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

We are planning to go to the reunion since it is really close and not in a major crazy city. Las Vegas is to. much for either of us. The sounds and lights walking through the casino alone were to much for me.

I will (as usual) likely spend quite a bit of time alone or with Cynthia, but when I can, I do want to visit with friends in a neutral setting.

I am thrilled that so many of the events are in the hotel so I can go up to the room when overwhelmed.

I love hotels and have always wanted to stay at a Peabody.