Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,990 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

At Chilean mine, joy and relief as tunnel reaches trapped men

The miners, who had been gathered anxiously for the previous 12 hours at the section of the tunnel where the drill bit entered, celebrated. Ten minutes after the drill reached them, they sent messages topside that no one had been injured.

The slightly angled hole into the San Jose copper and gold mine will now be used to haul out the miners one by one in a specially designed rescue capsule. That operation is expected to begin Wednesday, according to Chile's mining minister, the Associated Press reported Saturday night.

Seconds after the drill reached the miners, a chorus of truck horns echoed through the valley, a long-awaited signal to relatives who had held a 48-hour vigil of hope and anxiety. Hundreds of family members hugged, cried and climbed up the mountain to celebrate. On the slope, surrounded by 33 flags - one for each of the trapped men - relatives cheered and talked of the moment when their loved ones would be free. The men have been stranded since Aug. 5 and were discovered alive Aug. 22.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #682
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,617 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gay Pride in Belgrade attacked by anti-gay rioters

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9305313

BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Serbian riot police fought running battles on Sunday with hundreds of far-right supporters who hurled Molotov cocktails and stun grenades to try disrupt a gay pride march in downtown Belgrade. Nearly 100 people were hurt and over 100 arrested, officials said.

/snip
Sunday's pride march was viewed as a major test for Serbia's government, which has launched pro-Western reforms and pledged to protect human rights as it seeks European Union membership.

Right-wing groups broke up a gay march in 2001 and forced the cancellation of last year's event.

"This was undoubtedly a political message, an attempt to destabilize the country and this government," said prominent political analyst Miljenko Dereta. "The rioters had political support."

/snip
Police said that 78 policemen and 17 citizens were injured. They said 101 people were detained, 53 of whom remain in custody, suspected of violent behavior.

Serbian President Boris Tadic condemned the "vandalism" on Belgrade streets and pledged that the extremists will be arrested and punished.

"Serbia will guarantee human rights for all its citizens, regardless of the differences among them, and no attempts to revoke these freedoms with violence will be allowed," Tadic said
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #683
Mike
In Loving Memory and Many Thanks

Relationship Status:
connected, emotionally and physically

Thanked 2,456 Times in 416 Posts
Mike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.democraticunderground.org...ss=389x9293874

A week after attending a tumultuous city council meeting over recognition of LGBT History Month in Norman, Oklahoma, another young man has killed himself at the home of his family. Some family members are attributing part of the cause of this suicide on his experiences coming out in a local high school added to some rather vile statements in opposition to the city council's vote to recognize LGBT History Month.

Naturally, the most toxic verbiage (along with the spewing of rightwing talking points) came from self-proclaimed "Christians," who ignored the sins of members of their own religion to concentrate on some amazingly vile, willfully ignorant testimony about the imagined "lifestyle" of the LGBT community. One bi-racial woman, who insisted she resented gays using their private relationships as a "civil rights" issue, proudly proclaimed her "christianity" while ignoring that her personally selected and interpreted "religious" beliefs - which are PRIVATELY chosen, are protected by the same anti-discriminination laws. She was, of course, a self-claiming sexuality expert about homosexuals and their inability to "reproduce" . . .I'm rolling my eyes.

It seems to me that a society which allows the willfully ignorant to reproduce and the raise willfully ignorant children, deciding which "religious" belief best suits the prejudices they wish to instill in those children, which "religious" views they wish to impose upon other citizens, can certainly allow the LGBT population the same access to rights which these morons claim as their own. I'm sick and tired of listening to these self-righteous, weak-minded, faith-based hate-co-dependent sociopaths go on their damn rants. Why is it so hard for people in this country to stand up to the bigots - hell, you don't even have to call them bigots. When some wingnut alleged "Christian" starts telling me all about their special connection to hate based on Jesus, I never hesitate to remind them about the amazingly long list of others in their flock with a damnable history of willful sin. I also never hesitate to remind them that I view religion as a private choice and a private thing, and view people who need to wear it on their sleeves as likely not really very faithful...and that they sound as if they use their "God" as a second husband/wife or surrogate.

That being said, this poor 19-year-old kid, who did endure many taunts and exposure to some of America's worst practitioners of irrational insanity, is now dead. And you can bet that every rightwing nutcase who spews such vile, bullying hatred while pretending to ground it on the white baby Jesus, will immediately deny having any influence on this young man.

Here is the story from the Norman, Oklahoma newspaper:

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x1477594493/-I-m-...

And you can see a video clip of part of the citizens commentary at the city council meeting here:

http://www.queerty.com/suicide-oklahomas-zach-harringto...

Listening to some of these people just makes me shake my head - and makes me angry. I wish I had been at the meeting, because someone needs to start speaking up and getting back into their faces in the same manner their vile, irrational phobia gets projected onto the public - and onto other citizens.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #684
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/vie...y_people?me=nl

Petition time again.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #685
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Social security again no cola increase for 2011, thanks a fucking lot a@@holes.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #686
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Social security again no cola increase for 2011, thanks a fucking lot a@@holes.
I suppose that we could wish for some nice runaway inflation so that there can be a cola increase in 2012 :-)

If everyone votes Democrat, then I'm sure the government will issue another one-off check to offset the missing cola. If the repugs take over, then I'm sure that social security will be moved to the stock market, where it can fluctuate daily, prop up investment firms bottom lines, and maybe even lose 10, 20, 30 % the next time financial institutions dick around.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #687
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
I suppose that we could wish for some nice runaway inflation so that there can be a cola increase in 2012 :-)

If everyone votes Democrat, then I'm sure the government will issue another one-off check to offset the missing cola. If the repugs take over, then I'm sure that social security will be moved to the stock market, where it can fluctuate daily, prop up investment firms bottom lines, and maybe even lose 10, 20, 30 % the next time financial institutions dick around.
And people are not feeling like there is much to vote about? I think this is one of the most critical mid-term election cycles ever. One of the most scarey, too. There are a lot of voters out there wanting Sarah Palin clones in office.....
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #688
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,666 Times in 7,654 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
And people are not feeling like there is much to vote about? I think this is one of the most critical mid-term election cycles ever. One of the most scarey, too. There are a lot of voters out there wanting Sarah Palin clones in office.....
I dont know what it is like where you all are. Here there is so much negative campaigning, mud slinging, lawsuits, accusations, mailings by the truckloads denoucing each other, and such. At this point, Im having trouble figuring out who the Palin clones even are.
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #689
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
At this point, Im having trouble figuring out who the Palin clones even are.
Hint: On the ballot, they all have (R) next to their name.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #690
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,617 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gender Equality Report from the WEF

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11517459

Iceland is ranked 'best for gender equality'

(Iceland's Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir is also an out lesbian http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-1519068.html)

Iceland remains the country that has the greatest equality between men and women, according to an annual report by the World Economic Forum (WEF).
It is the second year in succession that Iceland has topped the foundation's Global Gender Gap Report.
The report measures equity in the areas of politics, education, employment and health.
/snip
"Low gender gaps are directly correlated with high economic competitiveness. Women and girls must be treated equally if a country is to grow and prosper."

/snip
Meanwhile the US has risen to 19th place from 31st in 2009, because of a higher number of women in President Obama's administration and a reduction in the country's gender pay gap.

Lowest gender gaps in 2010

1 Iceland - no change from 2009

2 Norway - Up from 3rd

3 Finland - Down from 2nd

4 Sweden - No change

5 New Zealand - No change

6 Republic of Ireland - Up from 8th

7 Denmark - No change

8 Lesotho - Up from 10th

9 Philippines - No change

10 Switzerland - Up from 13th

11 Spain - Up from 17th

12 South Africa - Down from 6th

13 Germany - Down from 12th

14 Belgium - Up from 33rd

15 UK - No change

Source: World Economic Forum
Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #691
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,164 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Judge bans 'don't ask' policy worldwide - Josh Gerstein: Judge bans 'don't ask' policy worldwide

October 12, 2010

Judge bans 'don't ask' policy worldwide

A federal judge has ordered the Defense Department to halt all enforcement worldwide of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding gays in the military.

U.S. District Court Judge Virginia Phillips issued the injunction (text here) Tuesday after finding last month that the policy, passed by Congress in 1993, violates the Constitutional rights of servicemembers. She acted on a lawsuit brought by a gay GOP group, the Log Cabin Republicans.

The Justice Department had urged Phillips, who sits in Riverside, Calif., to limit any relief in the case to the Log Cabin group or to the named plaintiffs, but the judge rebuffed that request. Her order applies to all U.S. military operations across the globe.

The White House had no immediate reaction to the order, which took effect at the time it was issued. If the Justice Department continues its present stance of defending the "don't ask" statute despite President Barack Obama's call for its repeal, an appeal is likely. That is sure to provoke an angry response from gay activists and others pressing for an end to the policy.

"The president will continue to work as hard as he can to change the law that he believes is fundamentally unfair," Gibbs said, while reserving comment on the injunction.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshge...worldwide.html
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #692
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
Hint: On the ballot, they all have (R) next to their name.
ROLF... for Repulsive, Reactionary and Retrograde!

OK, there are moderate republicans I am fine with. But, in the political climate of today- and the forces vying for republican status, no way will I vote for one!

Sometimes, I feel for moderate republicans in the midst of what is going on.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #693
Isadora

How Do You Identify?:
Momma, Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
I am in love. Truly Madly Deeply

Thanked 2,128 Times in 560 Posts
Isadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST Reputation

Iceland was the very last place that was Christianized. They fought Christianity for as long as they could. I wonder if their history on the equality of women, etc, has anything do with the Teutonic culture and that they honored women as leaders and Goddess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11517459

Iceland is ranked 'best for gender equality'

(Iceland's Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir is also an out lesbian http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-1519068.html)

Iceland remains the country that has the greatest equality between men and women, according to an annual report by the World Economic Forum (WEF).
It is the second year in succession that Iceland has topped the foundation's Global Gender Gap Report.
The report measures equity in the areas of politics, education, employment and health.
/snip
"Low gender gaps are directly correlated with high economic competitiveness. Women and girls must be treated equally if a country is to grow and prosper."

/snip
Meanwhile the US has risen to 19th place from 31st in 2009, because of a higher number of women in President Obama's administration and a reduction in the country's gender pay gap.

Lowest gender gaps in 2010

1 Iceland - no change from 2009

2 Norway - Up from 3rd

3 Finland - Down from 2nd

4 Sweden - No change

5 New Zealand - No change

6 Republic of Ireland - Up from 8th

7 Denmark - No change

8 Lesotho - Up from 10th

9 Philippines - No change

10 Switzerland - Up from 13th

11 Spain - Up from 17th

12 South Africa - Down from 6th

13 Germany - Down from 12th

14 Belgium - Up from 33rd

15 UK - No change

Source: World Economic Forum

Read me! www.leatherati.com
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Isadora For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #694
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
Iceland was the very last place that was Christianized. They fought Christianity for as long as they could. I wonder if their history on the equality of women, etc, has anything do with the Teutonic culture and that they honored women as leaders and Goddess?
You have one hell of a point! Thank you!!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #695
rlin

How Do You Identify?:
human

Thanked 1,189 Times in 451 Posts
rlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputation

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Tue, October 12, 2010 -- 3:45 PM ET
-----

Judge Orders Injunction Stopping 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

A federal judge ordered the government on Tuesday to stop
enforcing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, ending the
military's 17-year-old ban on openly gay troops.

U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips's ruling was widely
cheered by gay rights organizations.

Department of Justice attorneys have 60 days to appeal. Legal
experts say the department is under no legal obligation to do
so and could let Judge Phillips's ruling stand.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...ry.html?emc=na

rlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #696
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,118 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Transgender Teen Not on Homecoming Court

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/edu...mecoming-court

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #697
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default The first Chilean minor has been rescued!!!!

The first Chilean minor has been rescued!!!!The first Chilean minor has been rescued!!!!
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #698
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Default Rescue mission of minors, live right now...

Hope folks who are interested are watching the rescue mission in Chile. I'm following CNN with Cooper.

The first man just came up. 68 days, 1/2 mile below the surface of the earth.

A HUGE bringing together of many countries helping with this event. And a great respect towards Chile being shown. There is so much love!

Only 32 of the original 33 to go! (But, they are sending down a rescue person for first few times on each descend...)

Amazing story of survival, adaptation, AND LOVE. (And technology too, used in a good way. Folks from NASA helped. A driller from Afghanistan, etc... and on and on and on.)

There is HOPE. Oh, it's called "Camp Hope" too, I believe.

PEACE

Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #699
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Jeff Hart, lead driller. First to break through - on plan "B" of three plans of drilling.

He is now watching from a hotel room. These folks (drillers) got OUT of the way in respect of the Chileans, for the families - along with other folks crucial in helping and needing to be here with this phase of the rescue... (including medical, as well as the capsule/equipment technicians, etc...) A LOT of coordinating going on there, and well thought out... regarding diet, communications, video documentations to help for the future, compression suits, etc...

Jeff Hart stated... he drilled standing, as a "good driller can feel better than any gauge". Truly amazing. He also said it was the toughest drilling job he's ever had. Bits constantly breaking. The 80 degree angle, through a very tough strata.
_

This is such a healing event. I hope that it ALL goes well!

Here's to everyone involved in this, and to JEFF HART - YOU HAVE HEART!!!

(I just heard his interview, very humble man.)

*Second rescuer just arrived with the miners! I got VERY choked up when the first one came down and we could see the miners hugging him... and he them. Brave folk here!!!! Second miner coming up. Such comradery we're witnessing!!

Much peace and love!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #700
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,164 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default This one is for Medusa and Jack

More Californians
reverse course and
head to Oklahoma

By Paul Wiseman

USA TODAY

OKLAHOMA CITY — Former Hollywood producer
Neal Nordlinger, raising funds for a technology
venture a couple of years ago, was stunned when a
partner suggested locating the start-up here in Okla-
homa's capital and leaving Los Angeles behind: "I
said: 'Are you blankety-blank crazy? Oklahoma City?
It's a cow town.' "

That was then. Now Nordlinger is running a
software firm here and preaching the virtues of the
heartland — low costs, unclogged streets, friendly
people. "It's a dream here," he says. "The selling
price of a house here would not be the down
payment on a house in L.A. ... People in L.A. do
something for you because there's something in it
for them. Here, they genuinely want to help you
succeed."

Nordlinger, who co-produced the Arnold Schwarzenegger movies Last Action Hero and Junior, is part of a mini-exodus: Since 1999, the number
of Californians departing the Golden State for
Oklahoma has outnumbered those going the
opposite direction by more than 21,000, a reversal
of the Depression-era migration west that John
Steinbeck described in The Grapes of Wrath. In
August, Boeing announced plans to shift 550 jobs
from Long Beach to its complex next to Tinker Air
Force Base outside Oklahoma City.

The influx of Californians is a sign of Oklahoma's
growing economic prowess. The state was spared
the worst of the nation's deepest economic
downturn since Steinbeck wrote his classic novel of
Okies and their desperate journey from the Dust
Bowl to the orchards of California.

"We are outperforming the rest of the country," says
Mickey Hepner, an economist at the University of
Central Oklahoma. "Our personal income is growing
a little faster than elsewhere. ... We didn't suffer the
depths of recession like the rest of the country, so
we could bounce back a little more quickly."

Poised for growth Oklahoma's unemployment rate was tied for 10th
lowest in the country in August at 7%. Aaron Smith,
senior economist for Moody's Analytics, recently
upgraded his forecast for the state, writing,
"Oklahoma should be among the first to make the
leap from recovery to expansion."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2010-10-12-oklahoma12_CV_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking news, news