Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #921
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,588 Times in 14,919 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"Hold The Fort".............

To Stop! Hang on just a second! (Not to be confused with Hold Down The Fort)
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #922
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I’m definitely not yours.

Thanked 32,116 Times in 9,996 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Jumped the gun....

Those rare occasions when you go just a bit too slow and you're not fast enough. *lol*

Old 09-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #923
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"Hold Down The Fort"...........

To watch things while the person officially in charge is away!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #924
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Stick A Fork In Me, I'm Done"...........

A phrase used to indicate that one or something is finished, complete, or no longer able to continue.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #925
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

"Fart spaghetti clouds"

Spew lines of bullshit especially in academia.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #926
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Save back money for a rainy day.....

This idiomatic expression means that one should save back money or anything of value for a time when money might not be easily accessible or available....
Old 09-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #927
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Default The Go Go's. ......

My lips are sealed...

Notwithstanding the super cute song by The Go Go's, this social idiom is often expressed when desiring to communicate that anything discussed in confidence is kept PRIVATE. Private knowledge is kept private NOT for reasons of secrecy, but because of an agreement to keep matters confidential and private.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #928
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"A Ballpark Figure" .................

If you give a ballpark figure or a ballpark estimate, you give a number which you think is fairly close to the actual one.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #929
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Save back money for a rainy day.....

This idiomatic expression means that one should save back money or anything of value for a time when money might not be easily accessible or available....
I guess this would be very similar to........

"Tighten Your Belt

If you tighten your belt, you try to spend less money. By spending less money you're actually saving money.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #930
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
I guess this would be very similar to........

"Tighten Your Belt

If you tighten your belt, you try to spend less money. By spending less money you're actually saving money.
True! Tighten up the belt: definitely a good one.

<<<<<<<~~ does NOT want to be in the proverbial "poor house".

BTW, that squirrel has not bothered me since last winter ...
thanks so very much for warning me about feeding squirrels!

Old 09-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #931
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Run-Of-The-Mill"............

Something is run-of-the-mill if it is ordinary and nothing special.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #932
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
"A Ballpark Figure" .................

If you give a ballpark figure or a ballpark estimate, you give a number which you think is fairly close to the actual one.
I like this phrase a whole bunch! Ballpark figures are a great way to hone your ability in estimating near perfect calculations.

Pa/ What are the odds today in guessing a near perfect ballpark estimate???
Old 09-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #933
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Take The Bull By The Horns".............

If you take the bull by the horns, you deal with a problem or a challenge in a direct and fearless way.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #934
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Take With A Grain Of Salt........(or also take with a pinch of salt)

If you take what someone says with a grain of salt, or with a pinch of salt, you have doubts about the truth or accuracy of what they say.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #935
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
"Take With A Grain Of Salt........(or also take with a pinch of salt)

If you take what someone says with a grain of salt, or with a pinch of salt, you have doubts about the truth or accuracy of what they say.
I dunno.... I guess that's one way it could mean. I always understood it differently.

My dad used this idiom quite frequently. ...but not in the same context. Most often, nearly always, the context centered more upon being the recipient of an unkind gesture or even an mean-spirited gesture. My dad used to say to not take those unkind, mean-spirited actions of others to heart because it primarily is an example of the troubled personality's problematic behavioral issues.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #936
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"To Turn The Other Cheek"................

If you turn the other cheek when someone attacks or insults you, you do not get angry and attack or insult them but stay calm instead and walk away from either the situation or person.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #937
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
"To Turn The Other Cheek"................

If you turn the other cheek when someone attacks or insults you, you do not get angry and attack or insult them but stay calm instead and walk away from either the situation or person.
*amen*

Thank you, homoe....

Old 09-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #938
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"To Let The Moths Fly Out Of Your Purse Strings"....

It refers to a seldomly opened wallet or purse. When said to someone it often is a 'hint' that they are a cheapskate.

Sidebar: Once or twice this has been said to me! I rather think of myself as more along the lines of frugal than an tightwad or cheapskate however!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #939
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

.....Heart of Hearts .....

This particular phrase is Shakespeare by origin. Hamlet's line in the Shakespeare play was "In my heart of heart" -- the center of his heart.... where it's most tender belief or ideas about anything are said to exist. Core values, core ideas, core beliefs. Something you feel or know in your Heart of Hearts.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #940
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,258 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

It's my understanding that the term "Elephant and Castle" ( oft used as name of Brit pubs etc) is a result of the inability of Brits to pronounce the name of the visiting Princess from Spain: the "Infanta de Castile". Gotta love-em"
The Following User Says Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread