Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #81
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I am aware of what anarchy entails, but thank you for elaborating.

When you find this utopia for yourself, send a postcard, yes?

I can't speak for others, but I'll be here with my rules and boundaries and whatnot, watching the lights on the tree.

Yes I shall send postcards when I find it but they might be just plain ones nothing fancy or maybe with the big anarchy symbol in black and red.
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotAnAverageGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #82
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,130 Times in 6,413 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnAverageGuy View Post
not asking for a free pass, just the fact that a person should be able to say or do what they want without the fear of being banned, repped negatively, etc.

But what I do have a problem with is someone trying to silence me by say rules, etc.

This would work if we could trust one another not to say or do thing intentionally to hurt. Unfortunately, we all know that people will do and say things that hurt--sometimes intentionally.

There are things that I think do NEED to be silenced. Things that SuperFemme mentioned like racism and that ilk.

I do not believe we have the right to say anything we want in public. That is not, to me, what freedom of speech is meant for. Plus, that is a fairly American (I think) concept so it may not play well in all cultures.

I also am very much a change from within rather than a change from without which is what I view anarchy as. A very simplistic view to be sure!
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #83
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post

This would work if we could trust one another not to say or do thing intentionally to hurt. Unfortunately, we all know that people will do and say things that hurt--sometimes intentionally.

There are things that I think do NEED to be silenced. Things that SuperFemme mentioned like racism and that ilk.

I do not believe we have the right to say anything we want in public. That is not, to me, what freedom of speech is meant for. Plus, that is a fairly American (I think) concept so it may not play well in all cultures.

I also am very much a change from within rather than a change from without which is what I view anarchy as. A very simplistic view to be sure!
I agree with the first paragraph, and I do know people do, do those things on purpose.

I am just the type who says what and to whom I want to in public, that's how I was brought up. I am also very blunt, honest and rude about things when pissed off.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #84
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,130 Times in 6,413 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnAverageGuy View Post
I agree with the first paragraph, and I do know people do, do those things on purpose.

I am just the type who says what and to whom I want to in public, that's how I was brought up. I am also very blunt, honest and rude about things when pissed off.
And my truth is that I know that when I am angry or worse, hurt, I can be very very strident and razor-sharp. I used to have a good friend I could send things to for "review" before posting. That relationship has changed so I don't have that luxury anymore.

When I am angry, I do my best to not post or to phrase it so that it is very clear that I am angry and venting.

If I am hurt, I tend to lash out at anything and anyone that moves. When I had to put my beloved dog down a month ago today, I went no mail on several email lists and locked myself down on how and what to post.

I do not want to be that person anymore. That is part of the bitter, gossiping woman I have made a pledge to not be.

So, when I can't seek joy and I know I'm angry or hurt, I will remove myself as much as possible from the "easy" targets some forums (online lists and chats for the most part) make.

That way I can't show my rear so much. It's not easy. I've shown that part of my anatomy A LOT. Many people still expect it. That is not within my hula-hoop. All I can do is move forward and keep within my personal boundaries as best I can.

So, there are times when I silence myself intentionally.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #85
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

Thats a good way to be and I understand how you feel about things

I am just glad we all can agree to disagree and help others out rather than fighting ya know
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotAnAverageGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #86
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
The only thing that always, or nearly always, silences me - because I'm simply unable to understand - is language that for me, is too 'academic'. Why does it silence me? Because I'm afraid of looking stupid by asking, ''What, exactly, do you mean?'' There, I owned it.

I do believe that in some cases - note, I said some - some folks will use their superior language skills/intelligence/education/whatever as a way of silencing others. I have seen it happen - not here, but on other sites, one in particular - and it disgusts me because it implies, to me, a total lack of respect for others and their abilities, or lack thereof. And please don't tell me I'm imagining this, because I'm not. It happens, it's disgusting, and to me, it's no different to laughing behind the back of someone with a physical or mental disability.

I also believe, however, that some folks simply do not realize that the average person on the street is not capable of understanding the type of language they use. So although what they write might be silencing, they are not, in my opinion, and in contrast to those mentioned in the paragraph above - guilty of deliberately silencing others.

Apart from that? There's not much that will silence me or cause me to be silent. As many, I'm sure, will confirm

Words
Thank you for this post!!!! I have never felt stupid anywhere in my life until I started posting online. I do believe my IQ has dropped 20 points. Academic language is hard for me to touch and hold and twist around. Tell me a story about feelings and I will understand instantly.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #87
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
Thank you for this post!!!! I have never felt stupid anywhere in my life until I started posting online. I do believe my IQ has dropped 20 points. Academic language is hard for me to touch and hold and twist around. Tell me a story about feelings and I will understand instantly.
This would actually be a GREAT thread. A discussion on how academic language changes a conversation or the overtones of elitism (or lack thereof).

Cyclopea made a BEAUTIFUL post about academic language in another thread that I would like to see be part of that conversation.

My opinion: Academic language can feel silencing. Yes.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #88
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
This would actually be a GREAT thread. A discussion on how academic language changes a conversation or the overtones of elitism (or lack thereof).

Cyclopea made a BEAUTIFUL post about academic language in another thread that I would like to see be part of that conversation.

My opinion: Academic language can feel silencing. Yes.
Thank You Medusa for liking my post.

As a footnote (and shameless plug): I started a whole thread spoofing overwrought highfalutin "academese"-
"Chair Dance: Expressionism, Post Modernism, and Popular Culture".

So if anyone wants to spew a bunch of non-sensical smart-sounding bullshit about a stupid topic, come on over!
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...read.php?t=391
And bring your multi-quote button! Cite your sources! Consult your thesaurus!
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #89
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Thank You Medusa for liking my post.

As a footnote (and shameless plug): I started a whole thread spoofing overwrought highfalutin "academese"-

So if anyone wants to spew a bunch of non-sensical smart-sounding bullshit about a stupid topic, come on over!
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...read.php?t=391
And bring your multi-quote button! Cite your sources! Consult your thesaurus!

Ha, this is my favorite post ever.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #90
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhmigawd *big relief* that was a spoof?! you did it so VERY well that I thought you were serious... and um... well... missin' a few screws from your toolbox, lol...
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #91
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Ha, this is my favorite post ever.
Thank You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhmigawd *big relief* that was a spoof?! you did it so VERY well that I thought you were serious... and um... well... missin' a few screws from your toolbox, lol...
LMAO!!! Well the jury is still out on the missing screws, ha, but even after I invited chairmakers into the thread to offer their perspective? Really?
Satire is a fine line and I guess I did my job too well. Scary!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #92
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

OK sorry for the derail!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #93
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Question

How do you read a poster's tone of voice in a thread?
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #94
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
by paying close attention to the details: content, choice of words, word usage, as well as punctuation. much like reading.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #95
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

i forgot 'context'
Old 12-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #96
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Bob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
by paying close attention to the details: content, choice of words, word usage, as well as punctuation. much like reading.
Actually, it's not very easy (especially with people you don't know well, I'd imagine.)

"How good are you at guessing the tone of voice of the emails you receive? Can you tell when someone is being sarcastic, serious or is joking?
Most of us think we can do this about 90% of the time. However, according to psychologists Dr. Nicholas Epley (University of Chicago) and Dr. Justin Kruger (New York University), who published their research in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (membership required to access), we get it wrong 50% of the time. Those are the same odds as tossing a coin."

http://email-overloaded.com/2006/07/...tone-of-voice/
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #97
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,496 Times in 1,638 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation

I don't read posts. I just look at the smilies. I love 'em.

Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #98
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Default bob, stop being wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Actually, it's not very easy (especially with people you don't know well, I'd imagine.)

"How good are you at guessing the tone of voice of the emails you receive? Can you tell when someone is being sarcastic, serious or is joking?
Most of us think we can do this about 90% of the time. However, according to psychologists Dr. Nicholas Epley (University of Chicago) and Dr. Justin Kruger (New York University), who published their research in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (membership required to access), we get it wrong 50% of the time. Those are the same odds as tossing a coin."

http://email-overloaded.com/2006/07/...tone-of-voice/
false. bob is wrong. i can clearly denote tone every.single.time.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #99
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post

Sometimes I can't.

Some people express themselves better than others, and what is rude or sarcastinc in NYC (for example) is way different than in Nashville. Something may sound abrupt to me, and it be the sweetest post ever to a person in Detroit (for example)

I try to go with face value, but as you know sometimes come up with the wrong conclusion.

Working on it though

I see so many reading comprehension misunderstandings. Not from you APretty, but in general.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #100
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I struggle with this. I cannot figure out who is joking or who is threatening or who is asking a question. I find it confusing.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post: