Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #81
chanale

How Do You Identify?:
femme

chanale is on a distinguished road

I am so tempted to get an iPad for e-books if nothing else. I have to get rid of the vast majority of my books (thousands) to downsize from a house to an apartment. In the future, it would be nice if my home library acquisitions could be in electronic form for the sake of floor space.
chanale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #82
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

So here's an amusing story for all you Macheads:

Jack got the new iPhone4 for me for my birthday yesterday. Cool, right? I was all excited to start using it but when I plugged it in to update it, it informed me that I had to upgrade my version of iTunes to be able to use my phone.

I hit the little "software update" thing and it kept saying "no new updates found".

Eventually, after a little research I discovered that in order to update my iTunes to 10, that I would have to upgrade Safari.

Tried to upgrade Safari and was informed that I had to upgrade my entire OS! I was still running Leopard 10.2

So after overnighting the Snow Leopard disk to myself, a 4 hour backup, and 3 different downloads, I'm finally able to use my iPhone! WEEEEE!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #83
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,578 Times in 402 Posts
wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

I'm still nearly stuck in the stone age with a narcoleptic ipod photo and a hp ipod with the hiccups. My nano is 2nd gen and for some reason my click wheel sticks. But I have found one nicety if I want a newer model check the refurbished area on the iStore. You can buy new previous gen models for cutrate prices. I'm also considering the refurbished 8 gig iPod Touch. Only $99 what a deal.
wolfbittenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #84
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanale View Post
I am so tempted to get an iPad for e-books if nothing else. I have to get rid of the vast majority of my books (thousands) to downsize from a house to an apartment. In the future, it would be nice if my home library acquisitions could be in electronic form for the sake of floor space.
While I like my iPad for many things - reading is not one of them. This is particularly true if you're a voracious reader. I have a Kindle for reading and that goes with me everywhere. It's way cheaper and super light/easy to hold for hours. Sometimes a dedicated device is a better option.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #85
DressyFemme

How Do You Identify?:
FEMME
Relationship Status:
MARRIED :)

DressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Smile Joining the iPod revolution... all over again....

I've had an iPod nano for several years now. I just ran out of room on it for all my music, so got some $$ for my birthday and ordered the black 160gb iPod classic (most recent generation).

I cannot WAIT to transfer all of my audio tapes, LP's and CD's to digital format. I was (still am) a huge Genesis fan back in my teen years and have lots and lots and lots of stuff to archive before the stuff gets too old to transfer..... Also splurged a little and got myself a copy of Roxio Creator Pro 2011 so I can do all kinds of neat things including audio and video editing (which will work great now I have a digital camera that shoots video in stereo).

Any of you do all these neat things for a hobby?

If so, can you please point me in the right direction as to the right kind of cord I am going to need to plug into my stereo on one end and my computer's USB drive on the other end?

Thanks! I am really excited about this and can't wait to start....it really sounds cool!

Dressy
I am a member of LinkedIn’s Largest LGBT+ and Welcomed Allies Professional Networking Group. Today if you are comfortable being 100% out or supporting LGBT people please come join me and the currently over 42 Thousand Global Members. The group is 100% professionally oriented. We all need to stand because Visibility leads to Awareness and Awareness lead to Full Equality (and keeping it).

Join Us.
Here’s a direct link to the group >> https://www.linkedin.com/groups/63687
˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄
DressyFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #86
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressyFemme View Post
I've had an iPod nano for several years now. I just ran out of room on it for all my music, so got some $$ for my birthday and ordered the black 160gb iPod classic (most recent generation).

I cannot WAIT to transfer all of my audio tapes, LP's and CD's to digital format. I was (still am) a huge Genesis fan back in my teen years and have lots and lots and lots of stuff to archive before the stuff gets too old to transfer..... Also splurged a little and got myself a copy of Roxio Creator Pro 2011 so I can do all kinds of neat things including audio and video editing (which will work great now I have a digital camera that shoots video in stereo).

Any of you do all these neat things for a hobby?

If so, can you please point me in the right direction as to the right kind of cord I am going to need to plug into my stereo on one end and my computer's USB drive on the other end?

Thanks! I am really excited about this and can't wait to start....it really sounds cool!

Dressy

Dressy! This sounds like a fun project!

I, too, LOVE me some Genesis and if it's on a record with a few crackly scratches? Even better!

I know there are turntable/cassette combos out there that will transfer your digital for you for the best sound quality (this is the one I like: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ion-TTUSB-Turntable-USB-Record/dp/B000BUEMOO"]http://www.amazon.com/Ion-TTUSB-Turntable-USB-Record/dp/B000BUEMOO[/ame]) but I believe you can use a regular headphone cable on your "output" jack on your turntable or tuner and plug it directly to your "input" jack on your laptop.

Then you can use a program like Audacity (FREE!) http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to read the music into your system.

You will probably have to play with it a bit to get the sound quality where you want it but it's fairly easy.

Sounds like a FUN project!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #87
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanale View Post
why not get a Nook? it's cheaper and offers color. I love ebook and bought a Kindle but sent it back. I have Kindle for my mini pc and like it a lot. I want Ipad. I have an Iphone 4 and love love love it
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #88
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,138 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I have a friend that would like opinions on a database for Mac called Bento.
I told her I'd post it and see what you Mac users think of it, so please, please, please give me some responses if you use it.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #89
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I love my Ipod!

I love my Mac!

If I win the lottery I am going to treat myself to an IPad.. Are they any cheaper yet?
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #90
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
I have a friend that would like opinions on a database for Mac called Bento.
I told her I'd post it and see what you Mac users think of it, so please, please, please give me some responses if you use it.
I've never used it but used it's predecessors, FileMaker. They are usually pretty straightforward and easy. This should be fine for more home/Small Business needs but if the intent is to have 1,000,000 transactions as second it might be a bit of a lightweight.

Personally, I prefer MySQL instead (through the use of LAMP -- Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #91
Daktari

I've used macs since the mid 80's and old mac classic. I have a blueberry G3 iMac, the lovely flat panel G4 iMac that with the chrome pole and 2 white G5's. Last week however I took delivery of a brand knew iMac and a 32gb ipod touch. I'm blown away by the lovely iMac - my old ones have been limping along for a while. The IPT is gorgeous, I'm totally smitten.

DressyFemme...my first ever gig was Genesis on the Duke Tour at Blackpool's ABC Cinema. They were fabulous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #92
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

I am having Mac envy I had a unibody clamshell mac that a friend gave me. It suffered a horrible death and I am now in Mac withdrawl.
wolfbittenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #93
PumaJ

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Queer Feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

PumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am a complete Mac fiend. At home I run a 2 yr. old Mac Pro that I brought up to 12 gigs of RAM. That baby is my third Mac since 1998. I, also have a 3G/WiFi iPad that I carry with me all the time. It is a fabulous piece of technology, that I would recommend to anyone. The new iPad is even better it seems. More memory, faster graphics, bigger flash drive, both a video and still camera.

I have to use PCs at work. They are just not the same as Macs. Apple's OSX is a much superior OS than anything Microsoft has come up with, IMO, based on my experience with both systems.

Regarding Bento, I don't use it because it isn't a program I need. The reviews on it seem to be quite decent, however. If I needed a database program, I would probably choose Bento because the reviews have been so good. Hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #94
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaJ View Post
I am a complete Mac fiend. At home I run a 2 yr. old Mac Pro that I brought up to 12 gigs of RAM. That baby is my third Mac since 1998. I, also have a 3G/WiFi iPad that I carry with me all the time. It is a fabulous piece of technology, that I would recommend to anyone. The new iPad is even better it seems. More memory, faster graphics, bigger flash drive, both a video and still camera.

I have to use PCs at work. They are just not the same as Macs. Apple's OSX is a much superior OS than anything Microsoft has come up with, IMO, based on my experience with both systems.

Regarding Bento, I don't use it because it isn't a program I need. The reviews on it seem to be quite decent, however. If I needed a database program, I would probably choose Bento because the reviews have been so good. Hope that helps.
I've had to hit the 'Dark Side' after 25yrs in 'The Light' and buy a Windows laptop for study (and hopefully eventually work) purposes (college is mainly Windows based as is the world of History and Heritage). I hate the Microsoft OS with a passion but I will learn how to use it effectively. I have an Apple sticker on it and I'm designing a sticker that will say "My real computer is a Mac!"

O...M...G! I'm addicted. I bought my first app for my 'Pod. Asphalt 5 is awesome. I'm on level 9 after playing this evening and I just know that it will be a wonderful distraction just as we hit assignment time at Uni. Can anyone recommend any other decent driving games. Ta ever so in advance.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #95
PumaJ

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Queer Feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

PumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

It is possible to run Windows & PC apps on the newer Macs with Intel chips & the Unix based OS X on board. There is specific software for this. 'Course, the problem is still with Windows, but....
Old 03-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #96
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I just got an Ipod. Still foguring it out!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #97
Daktari

Quote:
It is possible to run Windows & PC apps on the newer Macs with Intel chips & the Unix based OS X on board. There is specific software for this. 'Course, the problem is still with Windows, but....
I'd rather not partition my Mac drive therefore I've not run Boot Camp or the like. I wouldn't sully my gorgeous iMac with Windows OS. It's bad enough I have to run MS Office.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #98
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
I'd rather not partition my Mac drive therefore I've not run Boot Camp or the like. I wouldn't sully my gorgeous iMac with Windows OS. It's bad enough I have to run MS Office.
Get my company's software, Fusion. This avoids having to partition one's hard drive and you can still run those weird Windows apps as needed.

I do not get anything for promoting it here other than the satisfaction of knowing that it works well (fast! Heck, my former WinXP image/VM runs faster on my Mac than it did my PC) and leaves you with flexibility to do things.

Incubus: you may want to look into Open Office, a nice, open source alternative to MS Office.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #99
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Definitely recommend open office for macs. It is excellent far better in ways to MS Office.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #100
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Get my company's software, Fusion. This avoids having to partition one's hard drive and you can still run those weird Windows apps as needed.

I do not get anything for promoting it here other than the satisfaction of knowing that it works well (fast! Heck, my former WinXP image/VM runs faster on my Mac than it did my PC) and leaves you with flexibility to do things.

Incubus: you may want to look into Open Office, a nice, open source alternative to MS Office.
Thanks for the info and recommendations Linus. I'm lucky enough to have been given my iMac by college and it comes ready loaded with Office 2011 which I've started to get used to using - after a shaky start in September when I was faced with an OS I'd never used and Office which I'd never used. I like the flexibility I have with both OS's but on different machines.