Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #11081
nanners

How Do You Identify?:
her femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
girl
Relationship Status:
Blissfully married to the love of my life.

Thanked 4,842 Times in 1,067 Posts
nanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputation

The sadness I feel....My coworker died Friday night…it was pretty much known that he was going to die for the last week, but I guess we just weren’t ready to hear it quite so quickly. I guess o one ever wants to hear that kind of news though. He had cancer, and had donated his own bone marrow for the bone marrow transplant, and his body rejected his own bone marrow. His lungs got bad and filled up with (cancer?) and they put him on a ventilator last week, and Friday the family made the decision to pull the ventilator, he died at 8:50 PM Friday night. Roger was, hands down, by far the kindest, most generous coworker I have ever had in my life. He always had a kind word or compliment for anyone and everyone, and had the most positive attitude, right up to the end. He always had to see the latest movies and would give his opinion to anyone that asked. He was also very into Super Heros, Star Trek, and a lot of Sci Fi. He never failed to make me smile. I will miss you, and your great one liner….when asked “How are you?” Roger always replied “Great, but I’ll get better!” RIP, my Super Hero Friend.
nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nanners For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #11082
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,666 Times in 7,654 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Here's a link to the article:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/When+c...s.-a0238095380

I personally don't find the article offensive, because it's not using incest as rationale against same-sex marriage. It's looking at the biological vs. sociological reasons against incestuous couplings. The main arguments against same sex marriages tend to be sociological (although you do get the people who throw in the idea that same sex couples can't procreate, which is used as a biological argument against it). The author is trying to take this idea and apply to incestuous marriages.

I can see why KCBUTCH found it annoying and triggering. It gets old to always see the comparison made. However, I think if it's being used in its appropriate academic context (which isn't an argument against same-sex marriage), it doesn't offend me. Although as Kobi said, the context of its use could easily change my opinion on it.

Thank you for tracking down the article. The opening sentence is misleading given the gist of the overall article.

It makes sense to use such an article in certain situations i.e. helping people to think outside of their own values, beliefs, cultures, histories, and paradigms.

Again, it would be helpful to know the type of course this was required reading for. I can easily see it as acceptable for any number of cultural appreciation, critical thinking, women's studies, sociological, and anthropological type courses.

Personally, I found the article to be quite educational, and thought provoking.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #11083
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

The many house projects we have going on right now, we are putting down a new floor in the kitchen that Desd and the goose painted so very pretty. Then I got the goose a new bed a hell of a deal and she needed a new one cause she is growing like a weed and out grew her loft bed, so before we put in the new captains bed we ripped up the carpet in her room it was icky and we had wanted to do this. BUT the hardwood benith said carpet was not in as good shape as the wood in the spare room had been several scratches and gouges so we filled and sanded the damage and then re-stained the floor it ain't perfect but it will do so now I am waiting for the room to dry so I can put cordaround in and start putting stuff back or should I work on the kitchen or the yard stuff to be done AND there also in the new couch that needs to be brought in from the garage, but the old one has to go to the basement first oh wait then we have to move the futon from the basement to the spare room. Opps all the stuff from the gooses room is in the spare room..... decisions
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #11084
KCBUTCH

How Do You Identify?:
Undaunted QUEER Dom, Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
MYSELF, Syr, Hy, or friend prefered
Relationship Status:
Cautious, indifferent...

Thanked 3,305 Times in 884 Posts
KCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Before I feel justified in getting bent out of shape about this, it would help to know what course this is for and the rationale the prof gave for picking this particular article. Context sometimes changes initial perceptions.
The course is for cultural anthropology and the entirety of the article went with the chap topic of kinship lines and how they can be confused and altered with changes due to changes in marrying you cousins and/ or incest.
The opening sentence had no relevance in the chap or topic or article- is was only that discriminatory comparison of same-sex marriage to incest
I too would love to know her point of using such a statement-I believe the article could have easily been presented with a conscious mind and having deleted the first part with absolutely no harm to the article since it was never mentioned again nor had any relevance as I mentioned
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #11085
KCBUTCH

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Cautious, indifferent...

KCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Here's a link to the article:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/When+c...s.-a0238095380

I personally don't find the article offensive, because it's not using incest as rationale against same-sex marriage. It's looking at the biological vs. sociological reasons against incestuous couplings. The main arguments against same sex marriages tend to be sociological (although you do get the people who throw in the idea that same sex couples can't procreate, which is used as a biological argument against it). The author is trying to take this idea and apply to incestuous marriages.

I can see why KCBUTCH found it annoying and triggering. It gets old to always see the comparison made. However, I think if it's being used in its appropriate academic context (which isn't an argument against same-sex marriage), it doesn't offend me. Although as Kobi said, the context of its use could easily change my opinion on it.
I just really think if the professor could have easily made the same point in a million other ways-
I am irritated but dont want to react because I am irritated. hence why I'll bring it to my other professor regarding context since that's her specialty
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #11086
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

Concern for a friend who is going through some changes in their life...

Wishing luck to my best friends daughter who is raising money to go to state pageant...

Lesson plans with my beautiful kids...

Power point projects (see above)...

Many other things...

Most importantly... I am starting to really see who I am... and finding that I love that person... I know what I want to do in life... I am discovering the driving forces behind my happiness and I understand that no one else can provide that happiness but myself.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #11087
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Pansexual/Sapiosexual femmey dyke who likes to crossdress now and then
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her OR ze if I'm crossdressing
Relationship Status:
Floating and walking My path, happy in life.

Thanked 8,694 Times in 2,987 Posts
TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
Concern for a friend who is going through some changes in their life...

Wishing luck to my best friends daughter who is raising money to go to state pageant...

Lesson plans with my beautiful kids...

Power point projects (see above)...

Many other things...

Most importantly... I am starting to really see who I am... and finding that I love that person... I know what I want to do in life... I am discovering the driving forces behind my happiness and I understand that no one else can provide that happiness but myself.

I am happy you see it! Live life and don't accept anything less than the dreams you know you can make happen.
TheMerryFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #11088
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

Things aligning and my energy focusing the way I know it should.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #11089
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

Communication, how our perceptions skew our understanding. Can two people has such different perceptions as to not be able to communicate effectively? Thought provoking.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #11090
Cid

How Do You Identify?:
ultra femme princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, lady..whichever
Relationship Status:
waiting for the right one

Thanked 2,731 Times in 632 Posts
Cid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST Reputation

I have a bit of a dilemma and don't really know how to deal with this. My friend's brother and his g/f have a drinking problem, there's no doubt about that. However, the g/f seems to have her wits about her more so than my friend's brother. My friend is always talking about what's going on between them and I want to side with the g/f but I know that won't go well. On top of that, my friend is accusing the g/f of doing the exact same thing that my friend does (twisting the truth. I love her as my friend, but sometimes she see's things different than the way it really is).

I try very hard to just stay out of it and listen without comment, but sometimes it's really hard because I want her to face the fact that her brother needs help.

I don't judge either one because I don't think it's fair to do that. I haven't had to walk in their shoes, so I can I know why they are the way they are.

This is what I'm dealing with and what's on my mind at the moment.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #11091
KCBUTCH

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Cautious, indifferent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
I have a bit of a dilemma and don't really know how to deal with this. My friend's brother and his g/f have a drinking problem, there's no doubt about that. However, the g/f seems to have her wits about her more so than my friend's brother. My friend is always talking about what's going on between them and I want to side with the g/f but I know that won't go well. On top of that, my friend is accusing the g/f of doing the exact same thing that my friend does (twisting the truth. I love her as my friend, but sometimes she see's things different than the way it really is).

I try very hard to just stay out of it and listen without comment, but sometimes it's really hard because I want her to face the fact that her brother needs help.

I don't judge either one because I don't think it's fair to do that. I haven't had to walk in their shoes, so I can I know why they are the way they are.

This is what I'm dealing with and what's on my mind at the moment.
Sorry to hear you have to deal with that, as a sober person who is an alcoholic and also an addiction counselor- I can suggest maybe trying Alanon which is to help family and friends cope with others drinking

Unfortunately unless they're ready to stop not much you can do to convince them- its strange thing really to have the choice btwn your life falling apart and losing everything and stopping drinking.

When it comes to addiction it centers in the area of the brain that responds to survival- the brain has discovered that the same chemicals are produced when getting loaded that are produced when eating, sleeping, and having sex. so it equates chemicals like alcohol or drugs with getting its basic primal needs met

think of this when we eat a satisfying meal 100 units of dopamine are released- this tells us food fuels us productively.
an orgasm produces 200 units of dopamine
getting loaded produces over 1000 units- therefore our brain sees this as a more efficient option to meet its needs. SADLY
Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #11092
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

How much is this tattoo really going to hurt?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #11093
wahya
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
im good

wahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputation

I slipped today and confronted someone that threatend my daughter. In a stern but polite way. She didn't get mad but told me she had this. As a mother I know the protective nature I have with her or my loved ones will never leave me. Trying hard to let her handle it. Damn this is HARD. (She is my only child)
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wahya For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #11094
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My right foot hurts...seriously, it does!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #11095
Trev

How Do You Identify?:
Just a good ole boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy

Thanked 10,143 Times in 2,400 Posts
Trev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST Reputation

I believe my work trip has turned unto 2 weeks instead of 1. That's ok, I got this. Three hours from my family, I will be visiting them on downtime. There is always a silver lining. Now to buy gifts for the grand babies....because they never get enough you know.

Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #11096
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,121 Times in 4,737 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

wayyy too much is on my mind ~
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #11097
jcisbutch

How Do You Identify?:
just JC
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
the hardest to learn was the least complicated

Thanked 1,157 Times in 318 Posts
jcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputation
Default ...

seagulls....specifically jersey seagulls...
Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #11098
KCBUTCH

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Cautious, indifferent...

Well in regards to the article from my class the irritated me so much- well in class to night the teacher spoke of kinship dynamics and next week she'll discuss marriage variations so in the meantime- I still plan on bringing the article to my other professors for her thoughts on it
I also asked a friend of mine who is a university professor and he had mixed feelings as well
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #11099
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Having a good day and enjoying my co workers and students! I was pretty wrapped up yesterday in dealing with an administrator. Friday I was wrapped up in taking care of my mom feelings. Back in balance and enjoying the days at work.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #11100
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,445 Times in 6,888 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

My job interview today....I actually think there are squirrels IN my stomach....
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post: