Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Mexican officials decry U.S. Border Patrol shooting of teenager
By William Booth
Thursday, June 10, 2010

MEXICO CITY -- Mexican leaders on Wednesday condemned the fatal shooting of a Mexican teenager by the U.S. Border Patrol at the border in El Paso, as U.S. officials scrambled to investigate the circumstances surrounding the second killing of a Mexican by a U.S. agent in two weeks.

Full article-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/09/AR2010060903823.html

Last edited by AtLast; 06-10-2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: goofed
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #142
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,941 Times in 4,707 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation
Default Con't.

Joran Van Der Sloot Told Chile Police Thief Killed Stephany Flores

FRANKLIN BRICENO | 06/13/10 02:02 PM | AP

LIMA, Peru — Joran van der Sloot told police in Chile that it was an unidentified robber who beat a young woman to death in his hotel room, a killing for which the Dutchman has been charged with murder in Peru.

Peruvian police say Van der Sloot, long suspected in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teen Natalee Holloway, has confessed to killing 21-year-old business student Stephany Flores on May 30 after they met playing poker.

But according to a Chilean police report obtained by The Associated Press through Peruvian authorities late Saturday, Van der Sloot gave a different account of events while in custody in neighboring Chile, where he was captured after the killing and quickly extradited.

In the version offered to Chilean investigators, Van der Sloot said he and Flores were surprised in the early morning by two robbers in an apparent assault.

"A man came out of the bathroom blocking the access door with a knife in his hand. On the bed was another man with a gun," the Spanish-language report quotes him as saying. "The man with the knife said to be quiet, but Stephany began talking in a loud voice and he hit her in the face, making her nose bleed."

It also says Van der Sloot told Chilean agents that the previous day, he and Flores had been extorted by apparent police officers who demanded $4,000 and a wristwatch he brought from Thailand.

Chilean police told their Peruvian colleagues that the 22-year-old Dutchman responded in English to their questioning but refused to sign a declaration after learning he would be expelled to Peru.

On Friday, a Peruvian judge ordered Van der Sloot jailed on first-degree murder and robbery charges.

Police in Peru say he confessed to beating Flores to death after she learned details of the Holloway case from his laptop. He allegedly broke her nose, strangled her, threw her to the floor, then emptied her wallet and drove away in her SUV, said Gen. Cesar Guardia, chief of the criminal police. He then traveled south to Chile by bus.

If convicted on the murder and robbery charges, Van der Sloot could get 15 to 35 years in prison.

Van der Sloot's newly hired Peruvian attorney, Maximo Altez, has asked the judge to declare his client's confession void on the grounds it was made in the presence of a defense lawyer appointed by police.

Van der Sloot remains the lone suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway on the Caribbean resort island of Aruba.

Peru's criminal police chief said recently that Van der Sloot told interrogators he knows where Holloway's body is, but Aruba's attorney general said Friday he is skeptical Van der Sloot was telling the truth.

Last edited by UofMfan; 06-13-2010 at 12:56 PM.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #143
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
Joran Van Der Sloot Told Chile Police Thief Killed Stephany Flores

FRANKLIN BRICENO | 06/13/10 02:02 PM | AP

LIMA, Peru — Joran van der Sloot told police in Chile that it was an unidentified robber who beat a young woman to death in his hotel room, a killing for which the Dutchman has been charged with murder in Peru.

Peruvian police say Van der Sloot, long suspected in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teen Natalee Holloway, has confessed to killing 21-year-old business student Stephany Flores on May 30 after they met playing poker.

But according to a Chilean police report obtained by The Associated Press through Peruvian authorities late Saturday, Van der Sloot gave a different account of events while in custody in neighboring Chile, where he was captured after the killing and quickly extradited.

In the version offered to Chilean investigators, Van der Sloot said he and Flores were surprised in the early morning by two robbers in an apparent assault.

"A man came out of the bathroom blocking the access door with a knife in his hand. On the bed was another man with a gun," the Spanish-language report quotes him as saying. "The man with the knife said to be quiet, but Stephany began talking in a loud voice and he hit her in the face, making her nose bleed."

It also says Van der Sloot told Chilean agents that the previous day, he and Flores had been extorted by apparent police officers who demanded $4,000 and a wristwatch he brought from Thailand.

Chilean police told their Peruvian colleagues that the 22-year-old Dutchman responded in English to their questioning but refused to sign a declaration after learning he would be expelled to Peru.

On Friday, a Peruvian judge ordered Van der Sloot jailed on first-degree murder and robbery charges.

Police in Peru say he confessed to beating Flores to death after she learned details of the Holloway case from his laptop. He allegedly broke her nose, strangled her, threw her to the floor, then emptied her wallet and drove away in her SUV, said Gen. Cesar Guardia, chief of the criminal police. He then traveled south to Chile by bus.

If convicted on the murder and robbery charges, Van der Sloot could get 15 to 35 years in prison.

Van der Sloot's newly hired Peruvian attorney, Maximo Altez, has asked the judge to declare his client's confession void on the grounds it was made in the presence of a defense lawyer appointed by police.

Van der Sloot remains the lone suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway on the Caribbean resort island of Aruba.

Peru's criminal police chief said recently that Van der Sloot told interrogators he knows where Holloway's body is, but Aruba's attorney general said Friday he is skeptical Van der Sloot was telling the truth.

Have you been following how Peru enters mitigating factors into sentencing? One is that he admited being high on grass during the killing. That will be considered as mitigating under Peruvian sentencing! Also, he stated he slapped him and said he began attacking her in self-defense! Yanno, he is not a small man and you break someone's neck because she slapped you? He has all the classic blame everyone and everthing else for my actions of a sociopath and narcissistic personality. And of course, I think van der Sloot is lying through his teeth.

My hope is, although it would be very difficult, is that his mother faces what her son is and has done and starts talking. She has to have information about the Aruba crime and has kept her mouth shut.

Oh, and we can only guess at what will be made of the fact that this young woman was a lesbian....

But, if he will only serve a few years for the murder in Peru, his attorney is not going to let him or anyone speak about the Hollaway case.
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #144
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Have you been following how Peru enters mitigating factors into sentencing?
Yes I have. I have been following the entire case very closely.

As a mother, I doubt very much that his mother will open her mouth. Unless she gets a deal out of it, meaning reduce sentence for him, etc, she will keep her mouth shut.
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #145
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Yes I have. I have been following the entire case very closely.

As a mother, I doubt very much that his mother will open her mouth. Unless she gets a deal out of it, meaning reduce sentence for him, etc, she will keep her mouth shut.

I know, I don't know if I could pit myself against my kid in a legal situation no matter what he did. I would hope, however, I would see the need for his not being in the general population due to the fact that he is anti-social and dangerous. I would want him in treatment while incarcerated. Then, again, she has to believe he did these things. And what is her own guilt level about raising a killer, if she does?

It sounds like the prison he will be in is not a place of safety for prisoners. I'd be thinking about his treatment there and safety. I am thinking that Peru has light sentences due to what their prisons are like! I actually don't agree with this kind of treatment, even though this guy needs to be held accountable. Remember what happened to Dalhmer (sp??)!

The Holloway family members that have been interviewed have certainly demonstrated graciousness. Reminding me very much of the Alabama I knew, actually. If this were my child, I don't think I could be that gracious!! Have to hand it to them and I sure hope they recover Natalee's remains, but doubt it.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #146
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation
Default 6-Story Jesus Statue In Ohio Struck By Lightning

Lightning

poor jesus
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #147
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by afixer View Post
Lightning

poor jesus
That was one big !Jees-us

Old 06-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #148
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation
Default Salt lake city, ut Oil spill

Salt Lake city Oil Spill

News:

http://itsgettinghotinhere.org/2010/...alt-lake-city/

pictures:

Pictures of liberty park is in the park I go to the drum circle at. Only a few blocks from me.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=460&sid=11142432&pid=12

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #149
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pamela View Post
Salt Lake city Oil Spill

News:

http://itsgettinghotinhere.org/2010/...alt-lake-city/

pictures:

Pictures of liberty park is in the park I go to the drum circle at. Only a few blocks from me.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=460&sid=11142432&pid=12

And many think this isn't a big deal! What the hell is wrong with people!
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #150
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by afixer View Post
Lightning

poor jesus
The link to the story on the Cincinnati Enquirer web site this morning was:
"Jesus statue destroyed by act of God"

Priceless...
Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #151
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Campbell Soup recalls 15M pounds of SpaghettiOs
By MARY CLARE JALONICK, Associated Press Writer M– Fri Jun 18, 7:07 am ET

WASHINGTON – Campbell Soup Co. is recalling 15 million pounds of SpaghettiOs with meatballs after a cooker malfunctioned at one of the company's plants in Texas and left the meat undercooked.

The Agriculture Department announced the recall late Thursday. Campbell spokesman Anthony Sanzio said the company is recalling certain lots of the product manufactured since December 2008 "out of an abundance of caution" because officials don't know exactly when the cooker at the Paris, Texas, plant malfunctioned. Officials believe it happened recently but aren't sure, he said.

The meatballs that went through the cooker did not get the requisite amount of heat, according to the company.

Recalled are certain lots of three varieties of the pasta product often consumed by children: SpaghettiOs with Meatballs, SpaghettiOs A to Z with Meatballs, and SpaghettiOs Fun Shapes with Meatballs (Cars).

The USDA said there are no reports of illnesses associated with the product and Sanzio said the company has received no customer complaints to date.

The recalled products have "EST 4K," as well as a use-by date between June 2010 and December 2011 printed on the bottom of the can. The products were manufactured between December 2008 and June 2010 and distributed to retail establishments nationwide.

Sanzio said the company believes there are about 35,000 cases of SpaghettiOs subject to the recall on the market right now. He said USDA announced the recall of 15 million pounds because that is all of the product that has been manufactured since December 2008. Much of it has likely been consumed.

Consumers with questions about the recall can call Campbell's Hotline at (866) 495-3774.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #152
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Post Cat Food - Friskies by Purina

Nestle which owns Purina, is having a major problem with finding the ingrediants for the salmon. All flavors of salmon, and both dry and wet food.

I was in PetsMart today and there was a huge sign up. PetsMart hasn't limited how much a customer can buy yet. I am sure that is coming.

Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #153
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

AtLast, here is the Mother's first public statement. I am guessing she is hoping for the "insanity" defense to work. Notice how she states she doesn't think he killed Holloway but blames the media for his mental deterioration.

Joran Van Der Sloot Mentally Ill, Mother Says

TOBY STERLING | 06/20/10 09:18 AM | AP

AMSTERDAM — Joran van der Sloot, the main suspect in the killing of a young woman in Peru last month and in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teenager Natalee Holloway, suffers from mental problems, his mother told a Dutch newspaper in an interview published on its website Sunday.

"My son is sick in his head," De Telegraaf quoted Anita van der Sloot as saying in her first public comment since her son's latest arrest.

Joran van der Sloot, 22, has been jailed in Peru on suspicion of killing 21-year-old Stephany Flores on May 30 – five years to the day after Holloway's still-unsolved disappearance while on vacation in Aruba. Holloway was last seen alive with Van der Sloot.

Police in Peru say Van der Sloot has confessed to killing Flores. He is due to be interviewed by a judge in Lima next week.

The Van der Sloot family lives in Aruba, where the interview was conducted. Anita told the paper her son had abruptly disappeared in mid-May two days before he was due to travel to the Netherlands to stay at a mental institution. He left a note saying he was going to Peru.

Van der Sloot had been traveling the world but returned to Aruba in April after his father Paul died of a heart attack while playing tennis.

Van der Sloot confessed to, then later retracted, involvement in Holloway's disappearance several times publicly and privately. He has told his jailers in Peru he is ready to clarify the Holloway case – but only with Aruba authorities.

In the Telegraaf interview Anita told the paper she does not believe Joran killed Holloway.

"But if he killed Stephany, he'll have to pay the price. I won't visit him in his cell, I cannot embrace him," she was quoted saying.

She said Joran's mental health had deteriorated steadily from the time of the Holloway disappearance. She attributed his decline in part to intense media scrutiny.

She told the paper he had called her several days before Flores' death.

"He said he was being followed. He had been arrested together with a girl and robbed. He was not making sense," the paper quoted her as saying.

"I can't cry for Joran like I did for Paul. I hope that he gets psychological help."
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #154
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default About time!

Gay Workers To Get Family Leave From New Labor Department Regulations

PHILIP ELLIOTT | 06/21/10 08:00 PM | AP

WASHINGTON — The Labor Department intends to issue regulations this week ordering businesses to give gay employees equal treatment under a law permitting workers unpaid time off to care for newborns or loved ones.

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis planned to announce Wednesday that the government would require employers to extend the option that has been available to heterosexual workers for almost two decades, two officials briefed on the plan said Monday. Neither was authorized to speak publicly ahead of the announcement.

The move, coming less than five months before November's congressional elections, seemed likely to incite conservatives and Republicans who stood in lockstep against the Obama administration's earlier efforts to repeal a ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in the military. It also appeared likely to be popular with loyal Democrats and organized labor.

The Family and Medical Leave Act allows workers to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave each year to take care of loved ones or themselves. The 1993 law, which also allows employees to take time off for adoptions, has previously only been applied to heterosexual couples.

The Labor Department planned to extend those rights based on a new interpretation of the law, the officials said. There was no plan to ask Congress to change the law, which means future presidents could reverse the decision.

President Barack Obama and his administration have slowly rolled out policies to help gays and lesbians, who supported his candidacy but have soured on what they consider his slow pace in making incremental instead of wholesale changes. He planned to meet with gay activists Tuesday at the White House, the second time such a reception has been held at the executive mansion.

Gay activists have been frustrated with Obama's approach to gay policies. The White House reluctantly backed a compromise on the military's "don't ask don't tell" policy on gays in the military that would move ahead on repeal but still allow the Pentagon time to implement new policies.

Earlier this month, Obama issued orders for government agencies to extend child care services and expanded family leave to their workers. Obama's order for federal employees, though, covers only benefits that can be extended under existing law, without congressional action. Legislative action would be required for a full range of health care and other benefits.

Last year, Obama gave federal workers' same-sex partners a first round of benefits including visitation and dependent-care rights. He also authorized child-care services and subsidies; more flexibility to use family leave to attend to the needs of domestic partners and their children; relocation benefits; giving domestic partners the same status as family members when federal appointments are made; and access to credit union and other memberships when those are provided to federal workers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #155
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Texas GOP platform:
criminalize gay
marriage and ban
sodomy, outlaw strip
clubs and pornography

Aliyah Shahid
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 12:36 PM

The
GOP there has voted on a platform that
would ban oral and anal sex. It also would give
jail sentences to anyone who issues a marriage
license to a same-sex couple (even though such
licenses are already invalid in the state).

“We oppose the legalization of sodomy,” the
platform says. “We demand that Congress
exercise its authority granted by the U.S.
Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the
federal courts from cases involving sodomy.”

The Lone Star state initially passed a law barring
sodomy in 1860. Violators faced anywhere from
five to 15 years in prison. The ban was
overturned in 2003.

In addition, the platform says that homosexuality
“tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the
breakdown of the family unit and leads to the
spread of dangerous communicable diseases.”

It also states that homosexuality must not be
presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle
in public schools and “family” should not be
redefined to include homosexual couples.

The 25-page proposal, presented last week as a
guide for the state GOP over the next two years,
includes other measures including outlawing
“sexually oriented businesses” like strip clubs
and banning “all pornography.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/fdcp?1277265821564
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #156
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

McChrystal got the boot. Good riddance,
Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #157
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
McChrystal got the boot. Good riddance,

I so agree! Frankly, he should be court marshaled for insubordination. Tarnish that record, oh, that‘s right it has been in the past….. ! Now, what kinds of policy changes in Afghanistan will there be? Our troops need to have decent policy. Let’s not end up with them coming home like those serving in Vietnam did. Not fair to them. I just want them all home safe and sound with honor.

I am so sick of bigoted reactions to having an African American president! He is the Commander in Chief, period! And legitimately elected, not like Dumb-Dumb Dubya’!!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #158
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
AtLast, here is the Mother's first public statement. I am guessing she is hoping for the "insanity" defense to work. Notice how she states she doesn't think he killed Holloway but blames the media for his mental deterioration.

Joran Van Der Sloot Mentally Ill, Mother Says

TOBY STERLING | 06/20/10 09:18 AM | AP

AMSTERDAM — Joran van der Sloot, the main suspect in the killing of a young woman in Peru last month and in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teenager Natalee Holloway, suffers from mental problems, his mother told a Dutch newspaper in an interview published on its website Sunday.

"My son is sick in his head," De Telegraaf quoted Anita van der Sloot as saying in her first public comment since her son's latest arrest.

Joran van der Sloot, 22, has been jailed in Peru on suspicion of killing 21-year-old Stephany Flores on May 30 – five years to the day after Holloway's still-unsolved disappearance while on vacation in Aruba. Holloway was last seen alive with Van der Sloot.

Police in Peru say Van der Sloot has confessed to killing Flores. He is due to be interviewed by a judge in Lima next week.

The Van der Sloot family lives in Aruba, where the interview was conducted. Anita told the paper her son had abruptly disappeared in mid-May two days before he was due to travel to the Netherlands to stay at a mental institution. He left a note saying he was going to Peru.

Van der Sloot had been traveling the world but returned to Aruba in April after his father Paul died of a heart attack while playing tennis.

Van der Sloot confessed to, then later retracted, involvement in Holloway's disappearance several times publicly and privately. He has told his jailers in Peru he is ready to clarify the Holloway case – but only with Aruba authorities.

In the Telegraaf interview Anita told the paper she does not believe Joran killed Holloway.

"But if he killed Stephany, he'll have to pay the price. I won't visit him in his cell, I cannot embrace him," she was quoted saying.

She said Joran's mental health had deteriorated steadily from the time of the Holloway disappearance. She attributed his decline in part to intense media scrutiny.

She told the paper he had called her several days before Flores' death.

"He said he was being followed. He had been arrested together with a girl and robbed. He was not making sense," the paper quoted her as saying.

"I can't cry for Joran like I did for Paul. I hope that he gets psychological help."

And the denial continues.... I get part of her as a mother, but, oh, brother! Amazing how blame goes everywhere but to the perp!

It could be that he showed signs of mental illness earlier in life and his parents shined it on. Frankly, they are culpable too as far as I'm concerned. I have always felt his father had something to do with the Holloway case and it was covered up because he was an Aruban judge. I think his mother has information and has never been up front with what she knows.

I don't have a problem with him getting psychological help... in prison!

My guess is that his mother is also learning of the kind of place the Peruvian prison is that he will serve time in. His life will be in danger- there won't be any protective custody. Prison murders happen there all of the time via pay-offs. The victim's family is powerful and has money.

I so want the Holloway family to have Natalee's remains and know what really happened to her. I just can't imagine how they feel.

Just keep this bastard off the streets!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #159
Sabine Gallais

How Do You Identify?:
Adeodatus

Sabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST Reputation

The whole McChrystal thing is a sham. All of this is a media distraction--of which we’ve all become painfully aware and accustomed to. McChrystal is being sacrificed, i.e., thrown under the bus, in order to create yet another diversion. These guys are all in the pockets of corporate, drug war and military interests. This whole thing is a charade. It’s all smoke and mirrors. The fact is that Afghanistan is all about the gas pipeline that runs from Turkmenistan through that country. And of course, it’s also about the drug trade. This disinformation campaign is as useful as the war itself. Are folks paying attention to what's behind the curtain of lies dropped before us by the media?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #160
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I would like to know what happened with the writer who actually wrote down what General McCrystal stated. Was it really word for word or what? No matter. If you are in the military you just do not bad mouth the Vice President or President of the US. It does not matter what rank you have. The military teaches this from boot camp all the way through and until someone retires. I think General McCrystal did the right thing by stepping aside and resigning. He will still get his retirement. It is all about respect.

On another note, who in the world is giving this man his advice? I think this person needs to go.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking news, news