Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #201
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,150 Posts
Ms. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
Ms. Meander, I LOVE these little piggies!! Do you have the pattern for them? If I PM you my address could you make a copy for me and mail it? I'd love to give it a try!

Here is the video that taught me. In the description is a link to the written pattern. Have fun!

My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart. - Maya Angelou
Ms. Meander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Meander For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #202
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Ms. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST Reputation

My biggest crochet-related problem to date is that I have expensive taste in yarn. Anyone have the inside scoop for discounted, high quality yarn?
My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart. - Maya Angelou
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Meander For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #203
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,396 Times in 6,872 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Meander View Post
My biggest crochet-related problem to date is that I have expensive taste in yarn. Anyone have the inside scoop for discounted, high quality yarn?
Grow alpacas??

I have found a super easy pattern (I keep wanting to say recipe...) for an adorable Christmas wreath. It's only 2 rounds....

Chain 14

Slip stitch in first chain to form ring.

Chain 1, 22 single crochets into ring, slip stitch finish circle

Chain 1, 1 single crochet in the first sc then 2 single crochets in each sc there after. Slip stitch to close. Make a loop for hanging. (I found silvery thread to string through it and make a bow....
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #204
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

ME TOO. i am such a yarn snob! My ex-mom in law used to use the best yarns and i didn't appreciate their quality until i went back to the stuff i use. it doesn't compare. i like the way the more expensive yarns feel in my hand, and i like it chunky and bulky! She ordered from Mary Maxim. i may have to check them out!

There is this little yarn store in a neighboring town, i don't even consider her stock high and and it's between 7.00-15.00 per skein.

i remember when it was cheaper to crochet and knit things.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #205
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default apparently I feel chatty tonight

Yarn snob here. I use walmart, craft store, acrylic yarns for pet blankets and some toys and charity knitting (needs to be washable and dryable)

For most of my stuff I use indie dyers.

My #1 favorite~ Desert Vista Dyeworks

Blue Moon Fiber Arts
Highland Handmades
Cloudlover Yarn and Fiber
Cakewalk Yarns
Madeline Tosh Yarns
Beaverslide Dry Goods and Cascade Yarns for work horse yarns

Knit picks for better quality acrylics and a wide selection of good quality yarns. Their Brava worsted is wonderfully soft and very well priced.
Jimmybean, Webs, Lorna's laces, for wide selection of good yarns

A word on yarn, it can be a very individual thing. What some people rave about someone else may not like at all. I do not care for the variagated yarns, they pool in odd ways and there is no way to tell what the final project will look like. Except for when the colors blend together well (ex. creams, pale blues, light grays) (ex of not blending well, purple, green, red)

I do like self striping sock yarns. It it doesn't say that the yarn is self striping then it isn't.

Most yarns are listed on Ravelry and you can actually see things knit up with that yarn. It can be very helpful.

Plover bird for project bags that are resonably priced.
There are many bag makers out there and they can get expensive.

There are beautiful stitch markers out there, and other tools, that make the whole knitting process more enjoyable. Etsy is a good place to look.

Chiagoo Red Lace for metal needles (I only buy circular needles and never use straight needles anymore) Wood needles (DPN's and circulars) I use knit picks Harmony needles.
Some yarns are very slippery and do better on wood needles and some yarns have grip and do better on metal needles. The Chiagoo needles are very pointy which I like.
Several companies have come out with new needle lines. Knitters pride, Hiya Hiya, are two of them. I have not tried them.

I have found that needles are like yarn. A lot of people try knitting using cheap needles and yarn and find they don't like to knit. I think when you find the needles you love and yarn that makes you happy knitting can become a joy.

I love my pod casts. Here are a few that have stated their support of gays/gay marriage. (I listen to a lot more than this, these are just the ones I know are supportive)

The Knit Girllls (3 L's)
Girl Friends knitting
Dramatic knits
The Stockinette Zombies
Knittin' on the Fly
Fiberista Files
Lemknitcrochet podcast (young woman who made her support of gays/rights very clear~ her best friend was gay and he killed himself when they were in high school)

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #206
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post

ME TOO. i am such a yarn snob! My ex-mom in law used to use the best yarns and i didn't appreciate their quality until i went back to the stuff i use. it doesn't compare. i like the way the more expensive yarns feel in my hand, and i like it chunky and bulky! She ordered from Mary Maxim. i may have to check them out!

There is this little yarn store in a neighboring town, i don't even consider her stock high and and it's between 7.00-15.00 per skein.

i remember when it was cheaper to crochet and knit things.
I love Mary Maxim! If you go to the website, they have some nice yarn on clearance right now. Some of the yarn is going for $1.99 per skein.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #207
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks FC

i also got this off of Facebook!

Craftsy 75% off yarn sale!

http://www.craftsy.com/deals/yarnsal...0121124_FBCC_2
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #208
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Also stolen from FB

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #209
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

I joined Ravelry, but that's as far as I got. There is A LOT happening on that site and I was a tad overwhelmed. I'll figure it out a bit at a time, I'm sure. I am MsMeander, if anyone wants to add me.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #210
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

ok i just ordered this from Joann's.

Supposedly you can get an entire afghan on this hook.

i can't wait to try it!

The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #211
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
I joined Ravelry, but that's as far as I got. There is A LOT happening on that site and I was a tad overwhelmed. I'll figure it out a bit at a time, I'm sure. I am MsMeander, if anyone wants to add me.
Me too!

i run in, grab a pattern or something, then run out.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #212
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I found Ravelry though the Knit Girllls pod cast. So that gave me a starting point. I joined their Rav group and from there figured things out slowly.

There are groups for all kinds of things. If you go to groups and search for what you are looking for and join a group or two you will have someone to answer questions.

girl_dee what is your user name on Rav?

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #213
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

deecajun is my Ravelry name !
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #214
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

This is my favorite Yarn. http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_sseco.html

For most of my projects I use the simply soft eco. As of now there is only 19 colors but there are thousands of combinations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #215
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,396 Times in 6,872 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I never seem to make it to the knitting class I want to take....

I'm determined to learn the basics via youtube. I have a lot of free time at work....

I haven't even TOUCHED my crochet in days...my ex had to remind me it's in the trunk of my car...or his car...I forget... Good thing I have had other things to do....still, it's a great winter hobby...I have made so many scarves..that seems to be my forte...lol
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #216
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

I learned a new stitch and had lots of fun making this scarf based on a Coach bag pattern I love.

A few of the granny squares for a quilt I am making for my youngest daughter.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #217
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post

I learned a new stitch and had lots of fun making this scarf based on a Coach bag pattern I love.

A few of the granny squares for a quilt I am making for my youngest daughter.

These are awesome!

i learned the V stitch last night, it's a pretty pattern.

i just finished this scarf!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #218
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

These are awesome!

i learned the V stitch last night, it's a pretty pattern.

i just finished this scarf!

That's cool! I am still working on Red's throw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #219
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
That's cool! I am still working on Red's throw.

isn't it very relaxing!? i hope you will post photos!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #220
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:

isn't it very relaxing!? i hope you will post photos!
Yes it is! I am not doing anything fancy this time. Just a big ole granny square with the tassels. I have been crocheting since I was very young, my mothers mom taught me how to crochet and play bridge. I miss playing bridge very much, can't seem to find anyone that wants to learn :-(
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:

Tags
crocheting, hobbies, knitting